HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-29-2012, 09:02 AM
cleangene

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I just imagine they are talking about the playoffs.
POST OF THE YEAR NOMINEE.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:50 AM
token grinder

goodness, D-Cell Battery night is going to be awesome Dec 1st.

anyone know where to have the giant heads you see at basketball games made? I want to get a bunch of them so Suter can skate in weber's shadow during warmups

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:06 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
POST OF THE YEAR NOMINEE.
But what about MY post of the year nomination?!

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I just imagine they are talking about the playoffs.
you win the internet

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Exit Dose

Any word on Blum's next contract?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:04 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Any word on Blum's next contract?
he doesnt have a lot of leverage.

I wont be surprised if he just takes his qualifying offer and tries to play himself into a better deal next summer...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Predsboro

per twitter:

Quote:
Nashville Predators ‏@PredsNHL

#Smashville, catch Preds captain Shea Weber with @WillyD1025 on @1025TheGame this afternoon around 3:15pm CT

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:09 PM
predfan98

this is from a long article about rick nash from this writer...aaron aportzline
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-thoughts.html

I just thought this section was interesting. I think some of it applies to the Preds as well.

"No. 2 = But he wasnít the perfect captain, not for the situation. Nash always played it safe. He allowed himself and those around him to get too comfortable. He was very ĎColumbusí in that respect. This city doesnít yet know what itís like to have a major-league franchise in town. The kids clubs, the autograph signings, the classroom visits, and naming of koalas at the zoo are all great, and please donít read this and think weíre suggesting otherwise. But the root of pro sports is the game, the competition, the on-ice drama. Itís about rivalries and passion and watching the team that represents your city go toe-to-toe against other cities. Itís about gut-level pride, not public relations. Nash always carried himself in a way so as not to offend anybody, his real thoughts and opinions buried deep beneath his sweater. Thatís exactly how this team is operated at times. Every ounce of energy is invested in making things look good. But you canít ever escape the bottom line: winning. Thatís pro sports.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:39 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
this is from a long article about rick nash from this writer...aaron aportzline
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-thoughts.html

I just thought this section was interesting. I think some of it applies to the Preds as well.

"No. 2 = But he wasnít the perfect captain, not for the situation. Nash always played it safe. He allowed himself and those around him to get too comfortable. He was very ĎColumbusí in that respect. This city doesnít yet know what itís like to have a major-league franchise in town. The kids clubs, the autograph signings, the classroom visits, and naming of koalas at the zoo are all great, and please donít read this and think weíre suggesting otherwise. But the root of pro sports is the game, the competition, the on-ice drama. Itís about rivalries and passion and watching the team that represents your city go toe-to-toe against other cities. Itís about gut-level pride, not public relations. Nash always carried himself in a way so as not to offend anybody, his real thoughts and opinions buried deep beneath his sweater. Thatís exactly how this team is operated at times. Every ounce of energy is invested in making things look good. But you canít ever escape the bottom line: winning. Thatís pro sports.
I don't get it. Rick Nash wasn't a good captain because he was good in the community?

Cbus wasn't successful because they surrounded Nash with crap talent for the better part of a decade. It's probably only because of Nash and his work that CBus didn't have large scale fan abandonment ala the Atlanta Thrashers.

Way to throw the guy under the bus.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think the point was, despite his community service, Nash wasn't a very good hockey captain. It was a critique of his on-ice leadership while pointing out his great off-ice efforts.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
per twitter:
Uh oh. Weber is in for a tough interview. We all know Willy D will be throwing out the hard balls today

Old
07-30-2012, 02:40 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think the point was, despite his community service, Nash wasn't a very good hockey captain. It was a critique of his on-ice leadership while pointing out his great off-ice efforts.
I wasn't dogging on Nash at all...

my point, which I didn't explain... sorry.... was about the "comfortableness" of Columbus as a city. Kind of like Nashville is "comfortable"... We don't stop the players in the grocery store and tell them they played horrid, etc. Kind of resonated when I remembered the remark that I think Gill made here. (that he thought nashville was comfortable, and there wasn't the same "intensity" in the marketplace or in the team..... that it would be easy to become complacent)

Are we too nice? Too hospitable? Is there a balance between intensity and comfortableness? Or should there be when you're playing a professional sport?

Maybe the things that make Nashville a nice place to raise a family work against us in producing a culture of intensity on the ice.

edit.... the article wasn't dogging on nash... it was very long and well thought out, it's a good read.... it was just this section that made me compare this to nashville.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I was just clarifying what I thought was a misunderstanding Doug had. I don't think anyone was really trying to dog on Nash, but I can see his point about his captaincy.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:29 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I read it as sort of a criticism of his on ice leadership because he was so nice off the ice.

I see your point though.

I don't know if being in a more intense market helps anyone. Look at Vancouver, or Montreal - they rip their guys to shreds on a regular basis - Vancouver took a pretty good goaltender in Luongo and just beat him down until he's a liability. Certain players thrive in the pressure cooker. Some guys don't.

I just don't see being good in the community as ever being a bad thing.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I read it as sort of a criticism of his on ice leadership because he was so nice off the ice.

I see your point though.

I don't know if being in a more intense market helps anyone. Look at Vancouver, or Montreal - they rip their guys to shreds on a regular basis - Vancouver took a pretty good goaltender in Luongo and just beat him down until he's a liability. Certain players thrive in the pressure cooker. Some guys don't.

I just don't see being good in the community as ever being a bad thing.
You can look at Carey Price and Patrick Roy in Montreal as two goalies who handled Montreal differently. Roy played there for years and finally had a meltdown, got traded and went on to win a Cup or two in Colorado. Then you have Price who had high expectations placed upon him, had a meltdown with his middle finger and then came back the last two years and has been their best player. It sucks what has happened to Luongo but some guys can't handle pressure.

Remember Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblach in NY? The guys couldn't make the short throw from second base to first base. Pressure is a funny thing.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
PFL615

Audio of Weber on 102.5 if anyone missed it and wanted listen.

http://soundcloud.com/1025thegame/na...dators-captain

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Audio of Weber on 102.5 if anyone missed it and wanted listen.

http://soundcloud.com/1025thegame/na...dators-captain
This is why I wasn't all that thrilled when I first heard that plaster was going to 102.5.
Two and a half minutes of that interview was about f'in baseball! Maybe I'm nitpicking a bit here, but I don't tune in to an interview with a Hockey player to hear him talk about baseball and his fantasy baseball team!

102.5 has been pretty damn good about the Preds talk ... I have a feeling that is going to go bye-bye now that plaster is back. It's going to be just like the Zone was. They won't be talking seriously about Hockey until march madness is overwith or there is something BIG to talk about.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
This is why I wasn't all that thrilled when I first heard that plaster was going to 102.5.
Two and a half minutes of that interview was about f'in baseball! Maybe I'm nitpicking a bit here, but I don't tune in to an interview with a Hockey player to hear him talk about baseball and his fantasy baseball team!

102.5 has been pretty damn good about the Preds talk ... I have a feeling that is going to go bye-bye now that plaster is back. It's going to be just like the Zone was. They won't be talking seriously about Hockey until march madness is overwith or there is something BIG to talk about.
ding ding ding .... Plaster's hockey talk basically consists of, "you remember that Rally I planned when I saved the team?"

When he started with the fantasy baseball right off the mark, I was pizzed ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:53 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post

I like Plaz but that interview was a joke. On the flip side Weber is not a great person to get to talk anyway. He can say obviously a lot though.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

He was just lightening the mood with non-hockey talk. Had no issues about that. I liked Plaster's questions way better than Willy's. There's nothing to talk about anyway.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:32 PM
PredsFanFromla

The ice is going down tomorrow at bridgestone arena

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post
The ice is going down tomorrow at bridgestone arena
Seems kind of early... or is it always done around this time?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Seems kind of early... or is it always done around this time?
They're probably getting it ready for the open house on Saturday. Bring your skates...

Open House 8/4/12

Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:24 PM
PredsFanFromla

The Ice at bridgestone is looking good:

now all we need is fans in the stands and players on the ice

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Dave is a killer