HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect #8

View Poll Results: Who is the #8 Rangers prospect?
C Oscar Lindberg 4 4.30%
C Michael St. Croix 53 56.99%
C Steven Fogarty 5 5.38%
LW Andrew Yogan 20 21.51%
C Boo Nieves 5 5.38%
LW Marek Hrivik 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
For what it's worth, I think that Skjei represents the last of the 2nd tier of Rangers prospects.

First tier:

1. LW Chris Kreider

Second tier: (In the voted order)

2. LW Carl Hagelin
3. C J.T. Miller
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Christian Thomas
6. RW Jesper Fast
7. D Brady Skjei

8th and on will represent the third, fourth, etc. tiers.
Obviously subject to change in the future, but I think you're dead on for this summer.

(Although I personally would have put Thomas in the 3rd ranking.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yogan. Add Noreau.

Bourque sucks. He was a mediocre prospect to begin with, and last season he showed he is in fact too small to play professional hockey.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The little I've seen of Noreau, I've liked. To me he looked better than McI at Traverse last year.
I didn't see the killer instinct that McI has, but he looked more polished then Dylan. Slicker passes and smoother skating.

That, personally, is what excites me about McIlrath. Granted I haven't seen him play recently, but he was still incredibly raw going into this season. He has plenty of filling out to do, and he's still getting used to his size.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
St. Croix add McColgan

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yogan. Add Noreau.

Bourque sucks. He was a mediocre prospect to begin with, and last season he showed he is in fact too small to play professional hockey.
Yeah, I've always been low on Bourque. Aside from Traverse City and Training Camp (where he was excellent) he's been so disappointing.

Voted Yogan but it was close between him and MSC. As much as his play disappointed me, its undeniable how talented St. Croix is. However, as long as he keeps playing like this, and Torts is our coac,h I can't see him fitting in on the Rangers.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
kovazub94

Finally MSC is going to get some love.

Next up for me Yogan and Fogarty.

Add Mr. California

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:10 PM
NYR Viper

Just from this list so far, I would have to say McColgan and Noreau are (2) of the most underrated prospects in the Rangers system. I think they both will play in the NHL.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:31 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
In no way shape or form should MSC have been above Skjei.
how many Ranger prospects or current home growns have ever scored 100+ points in the juniors? And Skjei has done exactly what to have such high regard? I'm high on him to but to speak in such absolutes? explanation. Obviously junior performance doesn't always translate into pro-success but we are just ranking prospects here so why shouldn't we be excited about MSC? you obviously know something some of us do not.

100+ point draftees in NYR history trivia. Can anyone think of any from the last 20 years? Marc Savard and Pavel Brendl are the only ones I could think of.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Yogan. Add McColgan.

Like Andersson, but his skating needs a lot of work. So does Noreau. I think he can carve out a nice career as a bottom pairing heavyweight who can log 10-12 minutes a night, but I' think McColgan has a little bit of Brad Marchand in him and I absolutely love that kind of player. Scrappy and skilled with a motor that never quits.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Yogan. Add McColgan

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Gotta say I really disagree about MSC being even this high.

07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Gotta say I really disagree about MSC being even this high.
It's very easy to get wrapped up in the numbers, and I think that's what is happening here. His skill is undeniable, but his ability to translate that to the pro game is a major question mark. I'm a big fan of his, but I'll readily admit that the rest of his game needs a lot of work before I'd rank him this high.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's very easy to get wrapped up in the numbers, and I think that's what is happening here. His skill is undeniable, but his ability to translate that to the pro game is a major question mark. I'm a big fan of his, but I'll readily admit that the rest of his game needs a lot of work before I'd rank him this high.
It's because the numbers are impressive. Thomas put up 99 points and saw a DECREASE in points this season and is SMALLER than St. Croix, yet people put him in the top 5. The only edge that Thomas has is that he has an NHL level shot. Besides that, St. Croix is the better playmaker.

How has Thomas shown he is an all around player while St. Croix hasn't? Can someone please explain this to me?

For my addition to the poll: Andersson. He's got the potential to be a top 4 guy, while I feel the other D that aren't on the list now are more set for the bottom pairing.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:30 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Yogan. Add McColgan.

Like Andersson, but his skating needs a lot of work. So does Noreau. I think he can carve out a nice career as a bottom pairing heavyweight who can log 10-12 minutes a night, but I' think McColgan has a little bit of Brad Marchand in him and I absolutely love that kind of player. Scrappy and skilled with a motor that never quits.
Andersson's skating needs work? In what way? That's the first time I've heard that comment. His weakness is consistently reported to be his defensive play, not his skating. From what little I've seen and read, his skating is actually quite good.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Zil

St. Croix, add Andersson.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:33 PM
eco's bones

St. Croix did not look so hot at Traverse City or in training camp. He did have a very good year. I'm not convinced he's going to be a player--I think he has more to prove.

Thomas does not exactly play like his dad. His dad was small too but was a real bull on the ice. If Thomas had some of his dad's grit he might project further down the lineup. As is he's going to have to put up numbers when he gets to the AHL and if he gets a chance at the NHL. Young and small as he is that's a challenge.

Which is why Yogan is a better bet to hit the NHL sooner. With his size and strength he can be easily projected further down the lineup. His upside is not as high as Thomas but he's a safer bet overall.

I'm not ready to say Bourque sucks but another season like last year and he'll be toast. A 5'8" player who can't produce at the AHL has no chance to make the NHL. Occasionally I see some suggesting he could make the Rangers this year. LOL. As much likelihood as one of the posters here.

I think Nieves is one player who could really move up. Size, skating, skill--going to play for Red Berenson--IMO the best college coach ever. That guy has turned out lots and lots of NHL'ers.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
It's because the numbers are impressive. Thomas put up 99 points and saw a DECREASE in points this season and is SMALLER than St. Croix, yet people put him in the top 5. The only edge that Thomas has is that he has an NHL level shot. Besides that, St. Croix is the better playmaker.

How has Thomas shown he is an all around player while St. Croix hasn't? Can someone please explain this to me?
Numbers are all well and good, but numbers don't make you an NHLer. If junior numbers were a proper indicator, Corey Locke would be one of the best forwards in the league today instead of bouncing around in the AHL.

Thomas has shown that he has superior skating to MSC, and that he's willing to go anywhere on the ice to make something happen. He's also much better away from the puck. I think MSC is the better player with the puck on his stick, but once that changes, he's a bit of a mess. He's improved those areas of his game considerably since he was drafted, but he's still not professional caliber yet.

I've said it before; MSC is probably one of, if not the most gifted offensive player in our system right now. However, there's no room in the NHL for a perimeter player who is a defensive liability. Thomas is further along the road to becoming a complete player, and his offensive tools are just a notch below MSC's. That, to me, makes him the better prospect.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Andersson's skating needs work? In what way? That's the first time I've heard that comment. His weakness is consistently reported to be his defensive play, not his skating. From what little I've seen and read, his skating is actually quite good.
I've only had limited viewings of him, but that's something I took away. His speed is good, but his transitions and edge-work are a little suspect. Sometimes it looks like he's off-balance when moving laterally and is on the verge of tipping over. His first step is a little "meh" as well. Just seems like his feet are a little heavy. Nothing that can't be improved upon.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:40 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Numbers are all well and good, but numbers don't make you an NHLer. If junior numbers were a proper indicator, Corey Locke would be one of the best forwards in the league today instead of bouncing around in the AHL.

Thomas has shown that he has superior skating to MSC, and that he's willing to go anywhere on the ice to make something happen. He's also much better away from the puck. I think MSC is the better player with the puck on his stick, but once that changes, he's a bit of a mess. He's improved those areas of his game considerably since he was drafted, but he's still not professional caliber yet.

I've said it before; MSC is probably one of, if not the most gifted offensive player in our system right now. However, there's no room in the NHL for a perimeter player who is a defensive liability. Thomas is further along the road to becoming a complete player, and his offensive tools are just a notch below MSC's. That, to me, makes him the better prospect.
From what I'm reading here, at this point, MSC sounds a lot like Erik Christensen. EC has all the skill in the world, but due to one thing or another, just couldn't put it all together. For the Rangers sake, I hope that MSC can put it together and become a top 6 forward, not another EC.

For the people who have watched MSC, is this a fair comparison, at least at this point?

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
From what I'm reading here, at this point, MSC sounds a lot like Erik Christensen. EC has all the skill in the world, but due to one thing or another, just couldn't put it all together. For the Rangers sake, I hope that MSC can put it together and become a top 6 forward, not another EC.

For the people who have watched MSC, is this a fair comparison, at least at this point?
I think it's too early to assume he won't put it together, but there are some similarities between Christensen and MSC from their Junior careers.

The one thing that MSC has going for him is a willingness to better himself and work on the areas he needs to improve. His issues are technical, while Christensen's were, for the most part, between his ears.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

I'm not a huge Thomas fan, but he's a better skater, he's better off the puck, and he's far more willing to get his nose dirty than St. Croix. St. Croix is a perimeter player at this point, who won't contribute anything other than offense, and I'm not sure that his game will translate to the pros.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

According to people who've seen MSC, he is much better away from the puck now than he was a year ago. To say that he's not professional caliber yet means nothing because none of them in junior are pro caliber. If they were, they'd be in the NHL already.

Give the kid a break. He's still a teenager. Things like play away from the puck is easily taught to anyone who wants to learn it.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Joey Bones

Hrivik, add Andersson. Bourque, Jean, McColgan should be added soon. Does anyone know what happened to Danny Hobbs & Jyri Niemi?

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post

Except Christ is 10 years older and there's no reason right now to say that MSC can't improve in the next few years.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
According to people who've seen MSC, he is much better away from the puck now than he was a year ago. To say that he's not professional caliber yet means nothing because none of them in junior are pro caliber. If they were, they'd be in the NHL already.

Give the kid a break. He's still a teenager. Things like play away from the puck is easily taught to anyone who wants to learn it.
Isn't that exactly what the last sentence of that paragraph you quoted says?

For me, professional caliber means the AHL as well. He's going to have to continue to refine those areas of his game if he's going to be an effective professional.

I said he was one of the most gifted offensive players in our system. How much more of a break can you give someone?