HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robitaille Discusses His Decision to Play For The Red Wings at the Alumni Showdown

Old
07-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Robitaille Discusses His Decision to Play For The Red Wings at the Alumni Showdown

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/07/luc-r...-kings-alumni/

Quote:
“My team is LA,” he exclaimed before the question was even finished.
“But, the NHL is a big family. I will never forget that and being part of a big family is very special. So, whenever anybody asks you and there’s an opportunity for charity, why not go and play and just have fun with it?”
Thought it was interesting news, and we don't have a lot of it during this time of the year. I don't have a problem with it, he would do anything for charity, as he should. Hopefully one day the Kings get a Winter Classic and a nationally televised alumni game...

We will at least get to see Lucky play again, which is special in of itself.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
I have no problem with it either.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

As long as he wears a Kings jersey I'm fine with this decision.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:32 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
As long as he wears a Kings jersey I'm fine with this decision.
That would be hilarious.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
nocturn

It was a "Loan".

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

He should rip off the jersey to reveal a Kings jersey, DX-style. Don't be like Marcel Dionne, make an appearance in Detroit happy in a Red Wings jersey but absent when the Kings are in the Finals...both times.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
He should rip off the jersey to reveal a Kings jersey, DX-style. Don't be like Marcel Dionne, make an appearance in Detroit happy in a Red Wings jersey but absent when the Kings are in the Finals...both times.
That's not quite true...he was in Los Angeles for game 4, remember?

We were speculating that he would drop the puck for game 4, but they never had a puck-dropping ceremony, as they did for Gretzky in game 3.

I am not even sure why the Kings flew him out for game 4, to be honest. I am not sure he was at the game.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
That's not quite true...he was in Los Angeles for game 4, remember?

We were speculating that he would drop the puck for game 4, but they never had a puck-dropping ceremony, as they did for Gretzky in game 3.

I am not even sure why the Kings flew him out for game 4, to be honest. I am not sure he was at the game.
I was at game 4, round 4, and I saw everyone from Nicholls to Glen Murray, to Heidi Androl, to Barry Melrose to all sorts of guys who played for the Kings and appeared on the screen at the game like Granato. I only heard Dionne call in to the radio show as 570 am was broadcasting. Heck I even saw Jeremy Roenick and Paulina Gretzky with Wayne Gretzky. But no Marcel Dionne. At the parade and fan rally, the only Marcel Dionne mention was Luc reading his personal letter written to Luc.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
I was at game 4, round 4, and I saw everyone from Nicholls to Glen Murray, to Heidi Androl, to Barry Melrose to all sorts of guys who played for the Kings and appeared on the screen at the game like Granato. I only heard Dionne call in to the radio show as 570 am was broadcasting. Heck I even saw Jeremy Roenick and Paulina Gretzky with Wayne Gretzky. But no Marcel Dionne. At the parade and fan rally, the only Marcel Dionne mention was Luc reading his personal letter written to Luc.
Agreed, but as you said, he had called in to the radio station, and was in Los Angeles, because the Kings flew him in. I heard the same call in because I was there too at the 570 booth.

So it was strange that he was apparently not at the game. Maybe he got sick or something.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Fropitar

Heh, I've always wondered how many former players really give any **** at all if the current kings team wins or not. Doubt marcel cares. I know the fans think/wish/assume they do, but face it.. We crazy.

Fropitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

I do think it's kinda funny that he's considered an alumni despite such a short stint there.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I do think it's kinda funny that he's considered an alumni despite such a short stint there.
With some of the players they get to come out to these games, it would appear alumni is being held to the strictest of definitions. It appears anyone who has ever played for the team is invited.

I remember at the Heritage Classic in 2003, I believe Montreal dressed a few players in the alumni game that hadn't played an entire season with the Habs simply to fill out the lineup.

I have no issue with this either. I feel the Wings probably have a soft spot in Luc's heart since he won the Cup as a player with them. The current Cup win with the Kings probably means alot to him, but in a different way. Something about having to play to win it, where your mistake could cost you the Cup, is much different than being in a suit in a suite watching a team you helped build.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Marcel was at Game 4 of the Final. I had a picture taken with him.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

Luc did come to Detroit to win at least one cup in his career and he did that im glad to see him on the alum team

shultzyfeelinirie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Glad Luc won a Cup with Detroit in 2002 because the Kings back then were absolute crap as an organization. They had an assclown in Kevin Gilmore handling contract negotiations and they let Luc walk away by offering him a paycut after he had was 2nd in the team with 37 goals and 88 points.

It's because of that stingy jackass that the Kings pissed off Rob Blake in contract negotiations with a take it or leave it offer and they also let Boucher go after he finally emerged as a top four defenseman. There's a reason why the Kings started a downward spiral after the way they treated Luc, and it started up top. Thankfully they fixed that when they fired Gilmore. He was a cancer in the organization.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Agreed, but as you said, he had called in to the radio station, and was in Los Angeles, because the Kings flew him in. I heard the same call in because I was there too at the 570 booth.

So it was strange that he was apparently not at the game. Maybe he got sick or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Marcel was at Game 4 of the Final. I had a picture taken with him.
Ok thanks. I didn't see or hear from him. I know he and Luc are tight and Luc considers it part of his job to rebuild things with his pal Dionne. I just feel like a real King should be like Luc, who comes back to LA like it's his home...like Bernie Nicholls.

Old
07-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Glad Luc won a Cup with Detroit in 2002 because the Kings back then were absolute crap as an organization. They had an assclown in Kevin Gilmore handling contract negotiations and they let Luc walk away by offering him a paycut after he had was 2nd in the team with 37 goals and 88 points.

It's because of that stingy jackass that the Kings pissed off Rob Blake in contract negotiations with a take it or leave it offer and they also let Boucher go after he finally emerged as a top four defenseman. There's a reason why the Kings started a downward spiral after the way they treated Luc, and it started up top. Thankfully they fixed that when they fired Gilmore. He was a cancer in the organization.
That's right.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Robitaille situation was a joke, no question about it, how you lowball your most popular player coming off a season in which he was an All NHL 2nd team LW is beyond me. You can't blame Luc for leaving, but he handled things worlds better than Blake did.

The Kings offered Blake a contract to be the second highest paid d-man in the NHL behind Pronger who was coming off being league MVP and was clearly a level or two above Blake in the defensive one. The Kings made the right deal, Blake was never good enough defensively to warrant the money he wanted. It's unfortunate Deadmarsh got hurt and Taylor used the draft picks on Steckel and Boyle and chose Aulin over Vrbata, but that deal could have been a serious long term winner for the Kings had they been even decent at evaluating talent.

Deal doesn't look so bad if Taylor takes Cammalleri or Derek Roy over Steckel or takes Perry/Eriksson/Bergeron/Weber over Boyle.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The Robitaille situation was a joke, no question about it, how you lowball your most popular player coming off a season in which he was an All NHL 2nd team LW is beyond me. You can't blame Luc for leaving, but he handled things worlds better than Blake did.

The Kings offered Blake a contract to be the second highest paid d-man in the NHL behind Pronger who was coming off being league MVP and was clearly a level or two above Blake in the defensive one. The Kings made the right deal, Blake was never good enough defensively to warrant the money he wanted. It's unfortunate Deadmarsh got hurt and Taylor used the draft picks on Steckel and Boyle and chose Aulin over Vrbata, but that deal could have been a serious long term winner for the Kings had they been even decent at evaluating talent.

Deal doesn't look so bad if Taylor takes Cammalleri or Derek Roy over Steckel or takes Perry/Eriksson/Bergeron/Weber over Boyle.
I agree with your first two paragraphs but don't understand what you mean in the third one. Didn't he choose Cammalleri in the 2nd round?

Old
07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Tadite

It's amazing how magnanimous people will be after winning a Cup!

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:35 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Please explain - are you talking about Luc in Detroit? I hope that you aren't referring to Dionne with the Kings...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Please explain - are you talking about Luc in Detroit? I hope that you aren't referring to Dionne with the Kings...
PSP, I can't get over how awesome your avatar is.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
It was a "Loan".
"We were on a break."

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote