HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Honest question: Do you guys miss Evgeni Nabokov?

Old
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post
Cross-checked him because "he just saw the pants and didn't realize he was a teammate." Or something along those lines.
didn't he also call out vlasic during an interview for screening him?

nabby was never scared to pass the buck for goals that were scored on him to the players in front of him.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:35 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

nabby was never scared to pass the buck for goals that were scored on him to the players in front of him.
He called him out for not blocking a shot and retracted the statement the next day

I do miss Nabby, but it was time to move on.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

This is that DW was referring to in suggesting Nabber needed to be a better team player. The Vlasic and Demers stuff is classic. In the locker room yes, never to the media.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:43 PM
rangerssharks414

Yes, Nabby was one of my favorite Sharks, so I miss him. It's painful seeing him on the Islanders.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Well, we love Nabby

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:57 AM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Well, we love Nabby
So you came here to gloat, yeah that's real "mod" like...someone give this person a 'warning'.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:16 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You can say that about anyone. So far as we know, Greiss hasn't faltered. And the way that whole thing played itself out dealt a pretty bad hand to him when he had earned more than that. Luckily, he's gutted it out and the team hopefully recognizes it and recognizes the solid performance he had this season and gives him more opportunities. He's earned it and I think there's more in him.
Fair enough and I agree that Greiss deserves a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPENCAP View Post
Probably thinking I can save this I know I can and then whoops next time I'll get it I know i will

I like to imagine him going "you a beast son. that shooter aint ****. yous the best thing to come out of finland since thor, yous just gonna block it like its no big deal homie. oh **** he scored? merry christmas son, that aint happening again. fosho. oh **** it happened again? well butter my biscuits and call me a ham sandwich, i guess im kris kringle tonight." or something.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:36 AM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Miss the hell out of that guy

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:53 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
heck, yes.

Niemi had over a 3.00 GAA last year in the playoffs, that's disgusting.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:02 AM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

Nabby calls out O'Pickles here
http://penaltykill.net/blogs/san-jos...ls-out-vlasic/

He wears the pants in the locker room

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

I miss Nabby, but he just wasn't worth the 7 million he wanted.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:04 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Outlaw View Post
I miss Nabby, but he just wasn't worth the 7 million he wanted.

then DW signs both Niemi and Nitty for 4.0 million, *****.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Sharksfan83

Watching that very first shot go in the back of the net was very deflating.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
JayP812
The Fin is In

vCash: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
heck, yes.

Niemi had over a 3.00 GAA last year in the playoffs, that's disgusting.
You just proved you didn't watch the playoffs. Niemi was the best Sharks in that series after Thornton, stole game 1 and gave us a chance to win every night. The #1 reason we lost was coaching.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
wtfisthis

No, it was time to move on.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:19 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
You just proved you didn't watch the playoffs. Niemi was the best Sharks in that series after Thornton, stole game 1 and gave us a chance to win every night. The #1 reason we lost was coaching.
Meant the 2011 Playoffs, where we got to WCF despite Niemi having the worst GAA in the entire Western Conference.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:14 AM
SHARPENCAP

Send a message via AIM to SHARPENCAP Send a message via MSN to SHARPENCAP Send a message via Yahoo to SHARPENCAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Fair enough and I agree that Greiss deserves a chance.

I like to imagine him going "you a beast son. that shooter aint ****. yous the best thing to come out of finland since thor, yous just gonna block it like its no big deal homie. oh **** he scored? merry christmas son, that aint happening again. fosho. oh **** it happened again? well butter my biscuits and call me a ham sandwich, i guess im kris kringle tonight." or something.
Haha that'd be funny !

SHARPENCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:44 AM
KzooShark

God yes.

His 2004 playoff run was easily the greatest by any Sharks' goaltender, and he dragged a team whose forwards were Marleau, Damphousse and a bunch of dreck farther than any Sharks team has gotten since.

The fact that he never replicated those 17 games in crunch time is what led Wilson to look elsewhere. Just wish he hadn't gone with the guy whose longest equivalent run was 4 games against the Sharks.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Sharkzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
So true. Niemi is so much better than fans give him credit for. Our defense was a joke all year. One of the main reasons why getting Larry Robinson is so exciting for the coming season.

Nabby is missed, but only for nostalgic reasons. Neimi is our guy.

Sharkzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkzfan View Post
So true. Niemi is so much better than fans give him credit for. Our defense was a joke all year. One of the main reasons why getting Larry Robinson is so exciting for the coming season.

Nabby is missed, but only for nostalgic reasons. Neimi is our guy.
Our defense was a top ten defense even with a really poor PK. It's not just defense that is an issue with that aspect. It's the coaching AND it's the goaltending as well. I didn't mind making the switch in net due to salary but I know that Niemi is just as prone to giving up a softy as Nabby was. Niemi is no better as an individual goalie and, in reality, he'd be damn near unanimously worse if he didn't ride the back of a very talented Chicago squad to a Stanley Cup. That Cup is the only reason why anyone gives him the least bit of slack at this point.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Our defense was a top ten defense even with a really poor PK. It's not just defense that is an issue with that aspect. It's the coaching AND it's the goaltending as well. I didn't mind making the switch in net due to salary but I know that Niemi is just as prone to giving up a softy as Nabby was. Niemi is no better as an individual goalie and, in reality, he'd be damn near unanimously worse if he didn't ride the back of a very talented Chicago squad to a Stanley Cup. That Cup is the only reason why anyone gives him the least bit of slack at this point.
I think the appeal with Niemi is more than that. In all 8? playoff series he has played in, he's "given his team a chance to win" in all of them. The only exception might be the series against LA, where he at least was able to be pulled (Nabokov wouldn't have allowed it), and where he eventually rebounded. He's also stolen a couple of games and had the odd series where he's been a major factor.

It is a relatively small sample size, but that is always how it is going to be.

Nabokov, on the other hand, has/had a mix. Early in his career, he was more like Niemi. But when you factor in the years when he was older and had a heavier workload, it looks like the opposite end of the spectrum. He was costing the team games and series, and wasn't "stealing" very much.

Skill-wise, I think Nabokov hurt the team by his need to see more action to "get comfortable" as well as his (and the two are not unrelated) insistence that players abdicate shooting lanes.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I think the appeal with Niemi is more than that. In all 8? playoff series he has played in, he's "given his team a chance to win" in all of them. The only exception might be the series against LA, where he at least was able to be pulled (Nabokov wouldn't have allowed it), and where he eventually rebounded. He's also stolen a couple of games and had the odd series where he's been a major factor.

It is a relatively small sample size, but that is always how it is going to be.

Nabokov, on the other hand, has/had a mix. Early in his career, he was more like Niemi. But when you factor in the years when he was older and had a heavier workload, it looks like the opposite end of the spectrum. He was costing the team games and series, and wasn't "stealing" very much.

Skill-wise, I think Nabokov hurt the team by his need to see more action to "get comfortable" as well as his (and the two are not unrelated) insistence that players abdicate shooting lanes.
The appeal of Niemi to some is that he's not Nabokov, nothing more. Some people just didn't like Nabokov for whatever reason...some legitimate and some not. But Nabokov gave the Sharks a chance to win every time he stepped on the ice in the playoffs whether people want to admit it or not.

And the criticisms laid against Nabokov ought to be laid against Niemi if the standard was one and the same. However, most people don't stick to one standard when it comes to this conversation. Niemi has done no better here than Nabokov has. That's really the bottom line.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:38 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
The appeal of Niemi to some is that he's not Nabokov, nothing more. Some people just didn't like Nabokov for whatever reason...some legitimate and some not. But Nabokov gave the Sharks a chance to win every time he stepped on the ice in the playoffs whether people want to admit it or not.

And the criticisms laid against Nabokov ought to be laid against Niemi if the standard was one and the same. However, most people don't stick to one standard when it comes to this conversation. Niemi has done no better here than Nabokov has. That's really the bottom line.
Shockingly I agree with all this...

We will truly see what we have this year in Niemi because this is now his 3rd real season in the league and he now has a D in front of him that is about as close to the Chicago cup winning D as we're likely to get while he's here.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Sharkzfan

Quote:
I agree the coaching sucked last year. But so did the D. You never leave a guy standing on the backside of a goalie, ever! The Sharks were lacking big time in this area, especially on the PK. I can't wait to see what Larry Robinson does with this group. Burns may have the chance to shine. Braun, Demers, and Pickle will only get better. It could be exactly what we need.

Well that and a better strategy on offense than just changing up the lines every other game.

Sharkzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkzfan View Post
I agree the coaching sucked last year. But so did the D. You never leave a guy standing on the backside of a goalie, ever! The Sharks were lacking big time in this area, especially on the PK. I can't wait to see what Larry Robinson does with this group. Burns may have the chance to shine. Braun, Demers, and Pickle will only get better. It could be exactly what we need.

Well that and a better strategy on offense than just changing up the lines every other game.
The PK sucked. The D in general was actually very good to be a top ten team in goals against given such an abysmal penalty kill. People seem to willing to lump the D in general with the effectiveness of the PK. It simply isn't the case. They were one of the best teams at even strength defensively.