HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
One of our wide receivers wrote an article for the school website about how disappointed he was in the fans, how we don't go to support them, we just go and get hammered in the parking lot and come in in the second half. People just basically stopped showing up for games after that, the whole article was super condescending, why don't you try winning a game every once in a little while?

Lacrosse games are a party, and the players love it, always posting statuses for us to show up and get rowdy. They have their own DJ and they play party music between plays. That's how you get fans on your side, that and winning the national championship!

I play rugby, and it's less of a party, but we do encourage people to come drink and have a good time, we love the support, so I don't know where football gets off complaining about us getting rowdy at their games.
Usually when there are drunk people in the stands, it deteriorates to "grabuge" (English would be mayhem/destruction/trouble) and violence many times. It makes the environment hostile in general. Also feeds into the hooliganism we see in many other sports (soccer) where fans act like entitled babies. I'm not calling anyone in BU entitled, since I never went to see a game there, but that's just my personal opinion on letting people get pissed drunk during a sports event.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:30 PM
InglewoodJack

What exactly is "frosh"? Is it like an organized thing, or do you just go drinking and whatever?

Also, is it restricted to your own program?

Old
07-30-2012, 04:49 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
What exactly is "frosh"? Is it like an organized thing, or do you just go drinking and whatever?

Also, is it restricted to your own program?
In short... the greatest week of your life.

It's basically a week's worth of activities for new students to get to know each other and to have a fun time before having to buckle down and hit the books. It's fully structured with different events going on each day. Will there be a lot of drinking? Yes. Do you have to drink? Absolutely not.

I'm actually in the process of organizing YOFO right now (CASA-JMSB's Frosh) for all first year JMSB students. I would HIGHLY suggest you make it out to everything... you won't regret it based on what we've got planned for JMSB Froshies.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake7 View Post

It's basically a week's worth of activities for new students to get to know each other and to have a fun time before having to buckle down and hit the books. It's fully structured with different events going on each day. Will there be a lot of drinking? Yes. Do you have to drink? Absolutely not.

I'm actually in the process of organizing YOFO right now (CASA-JMSB's Frosh) for all first year JMSB students. I would HIGHLY suggest you make it out to everything... you won't regret it based on what we've got planned for JMSB Froshies.
Is it only for 1st year students?? I missed last year's frosh.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:

Haha sounds fun. I'm a second year, but missed out last year, and I just switched to JMSB
(so I guess I'm a first year?)... can you bring out of program people? All my friends are in different programs.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:26 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Is it only for 1st year students?? I missed last year's frosh.
Most events are restricted to first year students due to capacity issues, but there are events that are open to all JMSB students. When we post the schedule of events, we'll be making special mention of the events that are open to all. JMSB brings in nearly 2000 first year students every single year, so we can't feasibly cater to everyone (so I guess the YOFO theme is fitting). Admittedly though, we probably have the highest attendance rate for FROSH amongst all of the faculties at ConU.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Shakenbake sounds a lot like Shakibaian.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Haha sounds fun. I'm a second year, but missed out last year, and I just switched to JMSB
(so I guess I'm a first year?)... can you bring out of program people? All my friends are in different programs.
You go under the books as a first year student at JMSB according to the student list provided to us by the Dean of Students; therefore, you're a Froshee to me. Students from out of program will have to attend their own respective Frosh's (assuming they're first year students). You might think it's a bummer, but you'll make 100 new friends at Loyola Day alone and being around a different crowd will just help to facilitate that process.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
guest1467

Quote:
That must be depressing.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
That must be depressing.
Only when it's over

Old
07-30-2012, 06:50 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
You go under the books as a first year student at JMSB according to the student list provided to us by the Dean of Students; therefore, you're a Froshee to me. Students from out of program will have to attend their own respective Frosh's (assuming they're first year students). You might think it's a bummer, but you'll make 100 new friends at Loyola Day alone and being around a different crowd will just help to facilitate that process.
Sounds quite fun. I don't really wanna go alone, so hopefully I find someone to go, because this looks neat!

Old
07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglewoodjack View Post
yes. The entire school floats in a cloud of lust where the women are just throwing themselves at dudes.
C'mon, don't be an idiot.

Last edited by Prust Y U MAD Bruins*: 07-30-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old
07-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Quote:
Yes. The entire school floats in a cloud of lust where the women are just throwing themselves at dudes.
C'mon, don't be an idiot.
You are a dumb, assuming I am serious like a 15 years old virgin

Old
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prust Y U MAD Bruins View Post
I agree.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:47 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Sounds quite fun. I don't really wanna go alone, so hopefully I find someone to go, because this looks neat!
Go alone. Trust me, it doesn't matter.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:31 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Go alone. Trust me, it doesn't matter.
I'm the type to just pretend to awkardly text in a corner when I'm out alone haha

Old
07-31-2012, 01:18 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I'm the type to just pretend to awkardly text in a corner when I'm out alone haha
Better than me.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Quote:
I agree.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:29 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Usually when there are drunk people in the stands, it deteriorates to "grabuge" (English would be mayhem/destruction/trouble) and violence many times. It makes the environment hostile in general. Also feeds into the hooliganism we see in many other sports (soccer) where fans act like entitled babies. I'm not calling anyone in BU entitled, since I never went to see a game there, but that's just my personal opinion on letting people get pissed drunk during a sports event.
Never seen any of this happen at Bishop's, we just get noisy and wild, not hostile. Worst I've seen is our Dean of Student Affairs ask someone to stop yelling "bull****" at a football game

Old
08-01-2012, 04:41 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Hypthetically speaking, is it my "job" to bring booze to frosh week (1st year student upcoming) or will they be supplied, because I'm kinda confused by that concept as I drink as much as the next guy around here, but isn't frosh week basically promoting kids to drink even though it's illegal to do so? Don't be too harsh on me, I'm just wondering

Old
08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Hypthetically speaking, is it my "job" to bring booze to frosh week (1st year student upcoming) or will they be supplied, because I'm kinda confused by that concept as I drink as much as the next guy around here, but isn't frosh week basically promoting kids to drink even though it's illegal to do so? Don't be too harsh on me, I'm just wondering
Certain events are open bar, while others require that you pay for drinks, but either way, don't bring booze.

The purpose of Frosh week isn't to promote drinking or make an idiot of yourself. The purpose is to get acclimated to the school and to meet as many people. You'll learn quickly that your network is your most valuable tool, whether it be classmates or professionals. Admittedly, much of this is facilitated through events that do involve drinking, but at no point in time are you obligated to drink. We strongly discouraged hazing, so we really just look to put together a fun-filled week where no one feels uncomfortable.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Certain events are open bar, while others require that you pay for drinks, but either way, don't bring booze.

The purpose of Frosh week isn't to promote drinking or make an idiot of yourself. The purpose is to get acclimated to the school and to meet as many people. You'll learn quickly that your network is your most valuable tool, whether it be classmates or professionals. Admittedly, much of this is facilitated through events that do involve drinking, but at no point in time are you obligated to drink. We strongly discouraged hazing, so we really just look to put together a fun-filled week where no one feels uncomfortable.
Thanks, thats helpful. Well I saw a sort of itinerary on the site, but none of the events really seemed to involve drinking, was i just reading it wrong or is it supposed to say their is drinking. Just kinda confused by everything lol.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:52 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Drinking age in Quebec is 18...

Old
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Drinking age in Quebec is 18...
Not every Habs fan is from Quebec............

Old
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
pine*

Quote:
Not every Habs fan is from Quebec............
Yes they are

Closed Thread