HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

New Assistant Captain?

Old
07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
codeman00

vCash: 500
New Assistant Captain?

Do NHL teams always have two "A" assistant captains? Or can they have just one? Who do you think will be chosen as our 2nd assistant captain joining Mike Fisher?

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

A team can have only one alternate captain if they want to. They can also have three As and no C (this usually happens when a captain is injured). It puts you at a disadvantage, though. Having fewer players who are able to discuss things with the officials isn't a good idea.

I think next season we see Weber with the C, and then two of Fisher/Legwand/Erat/Gill with the As.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:26 PM
thecloser

**** Gill. Give it to Erat or Legwand to be alongside Fish

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I threw Gill in there because of his experience. I doubt he gets it, but I wouldn't put it past Trotz. I think Fisher and Legwand get it. Might as well spread them out since Erat will likely be on a line with Fisher all season.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Fisher & Legwand are likely.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I threw Gill in there because of his experience. I doubt he gets it, but I wouldn't put it past Trotz. I think Fisher and Legwand get it. Might as well spread them out since Erat will likely be on a line with Fisher all season.
Understandable. I'd like Leggy to have it. I'm just not at all a fan of Gill, can't put my finger on it but I just don't really care for the guy.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:47 PM
codeman00

I like Hall Gill. I think he's a huge part of leadership of the team. From his tweets, photos and Preds intermission reports, you can tell that he's really well liked by the younger guys on the team and in turn Gill feels younger because of it. I can definitely see him getting an "A" even though he hasn't put in the time here in Nashville. Legwand is probably more likely though...he has definitely put in the time.

I didn't realize the C's and A's were the only ones that could "discuss" with the officials.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Well, players can talk to officials, but when you see a group of players discussing a call that was made it's going to be the captains. Other players will either be entertained only for a few remarks, or they will be ignored.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Fisher & Legwand are likely.
Fisher is, Legwand no.

They've continually given Legwand the A for the past few seasons and he's continually lost it. Much better players on the team deserve the A over Legwand:

Gaustad
Gill
Erat

Those would be the three I would suppose would have a crack at getting the A. Fisher already has one of them per the Predators official roster page (http://predators.nhl.com/club/roster.htm) and I assume he'll keep it.

My guess is Erat gets it. He's used to having one before

ThePredatorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
codeman00

How did Legwand continually lose the "A"? I hadn't really noticed.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
glenngineer

It'll be Erat more than likely. He usually wore it when one of three captains went down with some sort of injury.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
No way Goose gets the A. Fish and Erat are the right choices; I love Erat, definitely my next jersey (I just can't decide between home vs. away jersey; home jersey effectively guarantees you will never be hit by a car while walking at night but away is just a good looking sweater). Solid 50+ point producer that flies way under most people's radar and has a great attitude.

I was looking for a YT video of him getting his teeth knocked out in the Ducks' series and this was one of the first hits in Google, tad ironic:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1135779

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:11 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

leggy/erat/fisher are the three id say that are in the rotation of the 'A' with maybe Gill/Goose/Klein if theres multiple injuries.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:11 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
No way Goose gets the A. Fish and Erat are the right choices; I love Erat, definitely my next jersey (I just can't decide between home vs. away jersey; home jersey effectively guarantees you will never be hit by a car while walking at night but away is just a good looking sweater). Solid 50+ point producer that flies way under most people's radar and has a great attitude.

I was looking for a YT video of him getting his teeth knocked out in the Ducks' series and this was one of the first hits in Google, tad ironic:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1135779

I think it should be Erat

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Legionnaire11

I'm going to guess Erat. Legwand has stated previously that he doesn't need a letter on his shirt to be a leader in the room, i'll guess he doesn't want the added pressure of being a captain along with the ridiculous expectations some fans/media already put on him.

Erat hasn't really talked about it much, but seems that he's worn an "A" more often than Legwand and seeing as he's the best and most consistent forward on the team it makes sense.

Hornqvist as a darkhorse, but he doesn't get enough ice time IMO to justify a letter.

Klein just to piss off 95% of the fanbase

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman00 View Post
How did Legwand continually lose the "A"? I hadn't really noticed.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to notice when he DOES get the "A". He's had it for at least 1-2 weeks over the past 2-3 seasons, but mysteriously disappears off his jersey.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
NoNecksCurse

martin erat.. hands down.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePredatorial View Post
Yeah, it's pretty hard to notice when he DOES get the "A". He's had it for at least 1-2 weeks over the past 2-3 seasons, but mysteriously disappears off his jersey.
That doesn't mean he loses it. Perhaps he doesn't care to wear a letter, but does so if he is asked. Do we know if these 1-2 weeks coincide with injuries to another alternate captain? Legwand is actually a fairly decent leader.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
token grinder

it is a crime if it isn't erat's. They could rotate it though

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:10 PM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Legwand is actually a fairly decent leader.
I personally think there are better leaders on this team than Legwand. Just my 2 cents.

But in answer to your question, most of the time I saw Legwand with the A was when someone was injured, yes. However, the fact remains that he's never had a permanent stitching of a letter on the front of his jersey.

Whether that is by his own choice or the teams, no one really knows

Old
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
It was actually rotated in those situations, not a case of a certain player "losing" the A. Before Fisher was acquired and locked down the second A, it rotated often in 5-10 game stretches between Legwand, Erat, Smithson, Hamhuis, even Greg Zanon at times.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:15 PM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
It was actually rotated in those situations, not a case of a certain player "losing" the A. Before Fisher was acquired and locked down the second A, it rotated often in 5-10 game stretches between Legwand, Erat, Smithson, Hamhuis, even Greg Zanon at times.
I'll be honest and say I don't remember Smithson/Zanon ever having the A's (probably because I wasn't paying attention), but I don't doubt any of what you said at all.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Whether that is by his own choice or the teams, no one really knows
Both Legwand and Trotz have been quoted in the past saying that Legwand has been offered and turned down a letter on at least two occasions.

People can take that however they want. Either as a positive in that Legwand is mature enough to not accept that role if he doesn't feel that it fits him. Or as a negative in that Legwand isn't confident/assertive enough to accept the challenge of the role.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:18 PM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
People can take that however they want. Either as a positive in that Legwand is mature enough to not accept that role if he doesn't feel that it fits him. Or as a negative in that Legwand isn't confident/assertive enough to accept the challenge of the role.
That's probably best way to phrase that. Couldn't have said it better myself...

Old
07-31-2012, 07:29 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Fisher and Erat with the letters to start the season. Legwand or Gill next in line in the event of injury. As has been pointed out, a player doesn't need a letter on their shirt to be a leader in the room.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote