HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doan 3 - Because trilogies are always better?

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 10:58 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Stats aren't everything, I thought Higgins was very serviceable in the 2011 run. Like most of our forwards, they couldn't score for whatever reason. If we can replace a guy like Higgins through FA and he's asking too high, let him go. If not, keep him.
This recycling of third liners is getting tiresome. And yes, it's about time rookies were injected into this forward lineup.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
This recycling of third liners is getting tiresome. And yes, it's about time rookies were injected into this forward lineup.
If the rookies can make it, good get them in there. The more the better.

Besides, I don't anyone wants to recycle Jannik Hansen do they?

Old
07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
KISSland

There's no way you flip Higgins near the deadline for a pick. There's no way Gillis makes a trade that takes away depth from the line up nearing the playoffs. It's just too uncharacteristic of him.

Higgins is a serviceable top 9 forward that injects life into the line up. Has skill and great hustle along with an engine that doesn't stop.

It would be pretty dumb to let him go for a pick.

I'd want him to stay, but I think he's gone next off season. Which is why I want to ice the best line up we've ever had as this season could be the last we have this many cheap contracts on board.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
aandbreatheme

How reliable is TVA Sports?

Old
07-30-2012, 11:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
How reliable is TVA Sports?
Fairly accurate from what I've seen in the past...

07-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Apparently Doan is going to visit Buffalo this week.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:23 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Fairly accurate from what I've seen in the past...
Well they're reporting that Doan does not intend to wait anymore and that he's done with Phoenix...

Old
07-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Chubros

Higgins > Booth and Raymond, based on play alone last year. That doesn't even factor in that he was the cheapest of the three, so I don't know why he's the one being talked about for being given the boot. Gillis should do his best to sign him to a new deal: 2.5-3M per, 3 years.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Well they're reporting that Doan does not intend to wait anymore and that he's done with Phoenix...
Makes sense. He must be pissed that Jamison didn't call him Friday night. These next few days could be very interesting.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Makes sense. He must be pissed that Jamison didn't call him Friday night. These next few days could be very interesting.
Doan's been pretty patient so far, but he has to look out for himself and his family at this point. I'm sure Phoenix doesn't want to pay Doan lockout insurance in the form of a signing bonus, and if I were Doan, that's exactly what I'd be looking for. We'll see where he ends up.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Well I hope they know their ****.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
Doan's been pretty patient so far, but he has to look out for himself and his family at this point. I'm sure Phoenix doesn't want to pay Doan lockout insurance in the form of a signing bonus, and if I were Doan, that's exactly what I'd be looking for. We'll see where he ends up.
Exactly why a deal will get done within the next two weeks (ugh, I hate using that time frame). Some school districts in the USA begin classes in mid-late August. I don't know how old Doan's children are, but I would imagine they are enrolled in some form of school. I would think Doan would want to be established in a city well before the school year starts.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:08 AM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Exactly why a deal will get done within the next two weeks (ugh, I hate using that time frame). Some school districts in the USA begin classes in mid-late August. I don't know how old Doan's children are, but I would imagine they are enrolled in some form of school. I would think Doan would want to be established in a city well before the school year starts.
And in Vancouver or Canada school usually starts again in Sept.I think that his kids would really enjoy an extended summer holidays.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:49 AM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICMAN1963 View Post
And in Vancouver or Canada school usually starts again in Sept.I think that his kids would really enjoy an extended summer holidays.
I agree, nothing like a 3 month summer break.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:15 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
There's no way you flip Higgins near the deadline for a pick. There's no way Gillis makes a trade that takes away depth from the line up nearing the playoffs. It's just too uncharacteristic of him.

Higgins is a serviceable top 9 forward that injects life into the line up. Has skill and great hustle along with an engine that doesn't stop.

It would be pretty dumb to let him go for a pick.

I'd want him to stay, but I think he's gone next off season. Which is why I want to ice the best line up we've ever had as this season could be the last we have this many cheap contracts on board.
The opportunity we had was vs the Bruins. It's near impossible to get back there unless some changes are made.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:31 AM
KISSland

Quote:
The opportunity we had was vs the Bruins. It's near impossible to get back there unless some changes are made.
There's ways to get better than the team we had then. It really all depends on what we get for Luongo and if we can sign Doan among other things.

Sedins Burrows
Booth Kesler A
Higgins B Hansen
Raymond Lapierre Kassian
Weise

Edler Garrison
Hamhuis Bieksa
Ballard Tanev
C

Schneider
D

A could be filled through UFA with Doan or trade with Luongo bringing back a capable top 6 in return.

B could be filled through UFA or Luongo trade. Arnott, Bozak, Goc, Plekanecs are all ways of filling this hole.

C could be filled through UFA or the Luongo trade(hopefully UFA.) Colaiacavo, Hannan, Jurcina.

D filled through UFA or Trade. Reimer, Clemmenson, Theodore, Lack, Niittymaki. Not that big of an importance though.

I think that line up would be better than the one we had during the run where Raymond got top 6 minutes. Lapierre was on the 3rd line.

Last edited by KISSland: 07-31-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old
07-31-2012, 02:14 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
If the rookies can make it, good get them in there. The more the better.

Besides, I don't anyone wants to recycle Jannik Hansen do they?
I sure dont want to recycle Hansen. He's paid his dues and kept his mouth shut. I'd rather see our own prospects take over bottom 6 spots and grow in those areas. WTF is the point of winning anything besides the division in the regular season?

I'm sure the Sedins, Kesler, Burr, Booth and hopefully Doan and and veteran D plus goalie should be able to secure that.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:15 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
I agree, nothing like a 3 month summer break.
Or, in my case...4 1/2. Yay...

Old
07-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
I sure dont want to recycle Hansen. He's paid his dues and kept his mouth shut. I'd rather see our own prospects take over bottom 6 spots and grow in those areas. WTF is the point of winning anything besides the division in the regular season?

I'm sure the Sedins, Kesler, Burr, Booth and hopefully Doan and and veteran D plus goalie should be able to secure that.
Point of winning in the regular season is to secure a good spot for the playoffs. Being 1st or 2nd means auto home-ice for the first two rounds which is pretty crucial. I know what you are going to say, a) They were an outlier, not usually the trend is that b) The Kings were probably the best eighth seed in history.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:35 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Point of winning in the regular season is to secure a good spot for the playoffs. Being 1st or 2nd means auto home-ice for the first two rounds which is pretty crucial. I know what you are going to say, a) They were an outlier, not usually the trend is that b) The Kings were probably the best eighth seed in history.
the point of winning is also self-justifying. winning is better than losing, and is necessarily good w/r/t professional sports

not that you don't already know this, I'm just adding to what you've said

Old
07-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Apparently Doan is going to visit Buffalo this week.
Was this news courtesy of hockeyinsider?

Old
07-31-2012, 05:15 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
There's ways to get better than the team we had then. It really all depends on what we get for Luongo and if we can sign Doan among other things.

Sedins Burrows
Booth Kesler A
Higgins B Hansen
Raymond Lapierre Kassian
Weise

Edler Garrison
Hamhuis Bieksa
Ballard Tanev
C

Schneider
D

A could be filled through UFA with Doan or trade with Luongo bringing back a capable top 6 in return.

B could be filled through UFA or Luongo trade. Arnott, Bozak, Goc, Plekanecs are all ways of filling this hole.

C could be filled through UFA or the Luongo trade(hopefully UFA.) Colaiacavo, Hannan, Jurcina.

D filled through UFA or Trade. Reimer, Clemmenson, Theodore, Lack, Niittymaki. Not that big of an importance though.

I think that line up would be better than the one we had during the run where Raymond got top 6 minutes. Lapierre was on the 3rd line.
A) Might be filled by Raymond at the start of the year and if he struggles, it'll likely be filled by deadline addition/Luongo trade (if it takes that long... wouldn't surprise me if it did).

B) JS will be given every chance to take that spot. Also wouldn't be surprised if Malhotra plays well enough after a good hard summer of training.

C) We did sign 2 dmans to 2 way contracts, could see one of them claim one of those spots while Alberts likely has the other.

D) This is actually a fairly important spot in terms of placement. I doubt the team wants to overplay Cory. Probably means the backup will get ~20 regular season games, which could mean a swing of anywhere from say 10-30 points. Over working Cory could end poorly in the playoffs.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
A) Might be filled by Raymond at the start of the year and if he struggles, it'll likely be filled by deadline addition/Luongo trade (if it takes that long... wouldn't surprise me if it did).

B) JS will be given every chance to take that spot. Also wouldn't be surprised if Malhotra plays well enough after a good hard summer of training.

C) We did sign 2 dmans to 2 way contracts, could see one of them claim one of those spots while Alberts likely has the other.

D) This is actually a fairly important spot in terms of placement. I doubt the team wants to overplay Cory. Probably means the backup will get ~20 regular season games, which could mean a swing of anywhere from say 10-30 points. Over working Cory could end poorly in the playoffs.
Agree with figz, dont really agree with your A.

I dont think mason belongs in the top 6, and by the sounds of it chances are slim we will get a top 6 guy for roberto, unless things really change. One of the reasons im hoping we sign doan.

I think in your analysis their is alot of what if's and guess work its a long shot JS is ready to take on that much responsibility as a 3rd line center. He has not even played 1 nhl game yet.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:38 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

I don't get how any of these arguments justifies getting rid of Higgins. At absolute worst case (or best for the Canucks) he's a 13th forward with the kids earning and proving they are better. You just don't dump a veteran like him who works his ass off and does so many things the coach loves because you want change and want to hand over icetime to kids who have proven nothing. Higgins simply will not be dealt for draft picks as a rental player. Playoff bound teams don't make stupid moves like that, and Gillis has proven time and again that he values both depth and experience and doesn't hand out spots to unproven players.

Give me a list of any contending teams that dealt depth players like Higgins in the last year of their deals just to get something or create spots for their unproven rookies? If Kassian, Jensen etc prove they are better options, great move them up. But at $1.9mill Higgins would still be a great depth option to keep - a player who works as hard, can play either wing, special teams, different lines, and brings the veteran experience and overall character he does, does not get dumped by contending teams just because their contract expires and the team *might* have rookies ready to replace him.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:50 AM
trytobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I don't get how any of these arguments justifies getting rid of Higgins. At absolute worst case (or best for the Canucks) he's a 13th forward with the kids earning and proving they are better. You just don't dump a veteran like him who works his ass off and does so many things the coach loves because you want change and want to hand over icetime to kids who have proven nothing. Higgins simply will not be dealt for draft picks as a rental player. Playoff bound teams don't make stupid moves like that, and Gillis has proven time and again that he values both depth and experience and doesn't hand out spots to unproven players.

Give me a list of any contending teams that dealt depth players like Higgins in the last year of their deals just to get something or create spots for their unproven rookies? If Kassian, Jensen etc prove they are better options, great move them up. But at $1.9mill Higgins would still be a great depth option to keep - a player who works as hard, can play either wing, special teams, different lines, and brings the veteran experience and overall character he does, does not get dumped by contending teams just because their contract expires and the team *might* have rookies ready to replace him.
I agree with this 100%. Higgins has quickly become one of my favorite Canucks over the last 2 seasons, and I wouldn't even bat an eye if we give him 3 mill per on his next contract - he deserves it. I would love it if we lock him down for 4 years @ 2.5 (takes him to age 34) - gives him the stability that his career has been missing so far and it's a decent raise from his current 1.9m salary. Also allows for one last payday after that contract is up (assuming he's still healthy enough to play).

Edit: it's worth noting too that Higgins managed to be on pace for 50 points last season on the third line while battling some chronic pain. He's a keeper.

Closed Thread