HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Minnesota #7 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the #7 Minnesota Wild Prospect?
Brett Bulmer 36 32.14%
Raphael Bussieres 1 0.89%
Tyler Cuma 0 0%
John Draeger 0 0%
Adam Gilmour 0 0%
Tyler Graovac 0 0%
Johan Gustafsson 0 0%
Matt Hackett 57 50.89%
Erik Haula 0 0%
Steven Kampfer 0 0%
Darcy Kuemper 1 0.89%
Mario Lucia 1 0.89%
Zack Phillips 16 14.29%
Nick Seeler 0 0%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
With as hard as he works, he just impresses me as someone who will continue to get better and better.
Bulmer was obviously a very late cut from the team last year, and then he went back to Kelowna and did absolutely everything they asked him to. I don't think it's possible to overstate his progression.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Went with Bulmer, I just really like what the kid brings to the table. He just seems like the perfect 3rd/2nd line winger to have around. More so than Clutterbuck. He brings a lot of hustle and effort, but he's also showing that he can score. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, give him a year of top-6 minutes, tough matchups and tough zone starts in Houston and see what he can do with it. If Fletch sees Larsson as a center, I think those two could be 2/3rds of shutdown dynamite.

Phillips is real close, for me, as well. I view his as a potential Joe Pavelski for us. He's got so many people that overlook every one of his bits of upside by saying he's a "bad skater" or a "weak skater". When he's got so many other things going for him.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Went with Bulmer, I just really like what the kid brings to the table. He just seems like the perfect 3rd/2nd line winger to have around. More so than Clutterbuck. He brings a lot of hustle and effort, but he's also showing that he can score. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, give him a year of top-6 minutes, tough matchups and tough zone starts in Houston and see what he can do with it. If Fletch sees Larsson as a center, I think those two could be 2/3rds of shutdown dynamite.

Phillips is real close, for me, as well. I view his as a potential Joe Pavelski for us. He's got so many people that overlook every one of his bits of upside by saying he's a "bad skater" or a "weak skater". When he's got so many other things going for him.
Phillips was hard not to vote for. Like Bulmer, he was an unexpectedly late cut for the big club last year. No one ever even considered him to have a shot, but he lasted a lot longer than even his biggest fans would suggest. He then went back to the Q, showed he wasn't just a product of Huberdeau, and now at the prospect scrimmages showed he can put away the dipsy-doodle that won't translate and play a 200ft game.

He still has the biggest bust chance of our "big name" prospects, but I am a believer.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
topshelf20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
To be honest, I'm not even sure Hackett is the best goalie prospect in our system. If I had to pick a goalie right now, I just might go with Gustaffson over Hackett.
^^^^

topshelf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Phillips was hard not to vote for. Like Bulmer, he was an unexpectedly late cut for the big club last year. No one ever even considered him to have a shot, but he lasted a lot longer than even his biggest fans would suggest. He then went back to the Q, showed he wasn't just a product of Huberdeau, and now at the prospect scrimmages showed he can put away the dipsy-doodle that won't translate and play a 200ft game.

He still has the biggest bust chance of our "big name" prospects, but I am a believer.
Agree with that 100%. I think that's why I put Bulmer above him. He's top-6 or bust, IMO, and that top-6 may get very crowded, very quickly.

He's got puck skills, though. And it appears that he's got some solid chemistry with Coyle.

They're both good guys to have around, though. Someone who could seemingly make an immediate impact, even if it's not so much on the score sheet (Bulmer) and someone that might need some time, but could end up being the better of the two (Phillips).

Luckily, we've got a lot of people pushing for a few spots in the next year or two. That will tell us who's willing to push themselves if they encounter a bit of difficulty.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Phillips is solid, yeah, but when the hell are we going to have room for him in the top six? Koivu and Granlund will be our centers for a long time yet, Coyle will likely be making the jump before Phillips does, Parise will be here forever, and Seto will likely be here a while if he picks his game up a bit and Heatley too, not to mention the possibility of re-signing Butch if he stays healthy (unlikely but still a possibility). If I'm gonna trade for a big name player within the next year or two, Phillips is the first prospect I'd move because he has darn good value and he likely won't see much, if any, time with the Wild.

I only see two ways that we find room for Phillips (assuming he even develops into a top six player). . . . .

1. We move him to wing and get rid of one of Heatley or Seto and don't sign anyone

or

2. We move Granlund to wing and have Phillips center the 2nd line. Again though, that means one of Heater or Seto will need to be moved/released.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Phillips is solid, yeah, but when the hell are we going to have room for him in the top six? Koivu and Granlund will be our centers for a long time yet, Coyle will likely be making the jump before Phillips does, Parise will be here forever, and Seto will likely be here a while if he picks his game up a bit and Heatley too, not to mention the possibility of re-signing Butch if he stays healthy (unlikely but still a possibility). If I'm gonna trade for a big name player within the next year or two, Phillips is the first prospect I'd move because he has darn good value and he likely won't see much, if any, time with the Wild.

I only see two ways that we find room for Phillips (assuming he even develops into a top six player). . . . .

1. We move him to wing and get rid of one of Heatley or Seto and don't sign anyone

or

2. We move Granlund to wing and have Phillips center the 2nd line. Again though, that means one of Heater or Seto will need to be moved/released.
I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in Coyle (I see him as a high end third liner) and Seto/Heater/Butch aren't going to be here forever anyway. The point is, we don't need to make room for him in the top 6. If he turns out (which would likely not be for another 2+ years yet anyway), he pushes someone else out of a spot and we'll deal with the extra guy then. Whether that's as running 3 scoring lines (Bulmer-Larsson-Coyle sounds like a nice future 3rd line now doesn't it?) or through trade/non-signing/whatever else is irrelevant.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in Coyle (I see him as a high end third liner) and Seto/Heater/Butch aren't going to be here forever anyway. The point is, we don't need to make room for him in the top 6. If he turns out (which would likely not be for another 2+ years yet anyway), he pushes someone else out of a spot and we'll deal with the extra guy then. Whether that's as running 3 scoring lines (Bulmer-Larsson-Coyle sounds like a nice future 3rd line now doesn't it?) or through trade/non-signing/whatever else is irrelevant.
Would have to agree. Never been crazy about Coyle. At best, I see him as the 2nd best player on the 2nd line. Not trying to be a downer, but I don't think he'll end up being what most of us expect him to be.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I don't expect Coyle to be a top tier player either. I'd be perfectly satisfied with a 25-25 2nd line PWF, although ideally I hope he turns into a 30-30 player.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:17 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:

or

I would personally allways move a pure winger than a center, and Granlund can be good in the wing also.

And guys like Seto,Clutterbuck can rise in value and be traded for good value but not best prospects for cheap.

And we could have three two way scoring lines?

Parise-Koivu-Heatley

Larsson-Granlund-Setoguchi

Zucker-Phillips-Coyle

WildFinn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I'm excited about Coyle but excited because I see him as an excellent 3rd liner, who will play the checking/energy line, but bring offense.

While other teams are worried about our top six, Coyle and his line (maybe Bulmer and Zucker) will have tons of room to do their offense. I see him as a player with David Backes upside and a Brodziak downside.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:39 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
I don't expect Coyle to be a top tier player either. I'd be perfectly satisfied with a 25-25 2nd line PWF, although ideally I hope he turns into a 30-30 player.
Are you being forced to use that avatar because you lost a bet regarding Parise/Suter? If so, when will you be able to switch it?

The reason I ask is everytime I read your posts, I hear Lapanta's voice in my head saying your words....it's driving me freakin' bananas!!!

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a 25-25 PWF. If he hits that ill be fairly satisfied - especially if he is on the second line.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think Phillips will be an impact NHL'er personally and see Coyle as a 30g/70pt player, but he could always be trade bait at the deadline along with a goalie.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I'm excited about Coyle but excited because I see him as an excellent 3rd liner, who will play the checking/energy line, but bring offense.

While other teams are worried about our top six, Coyle and his line (maybe Bulmer and Zucker) will have tons of room to do their offense. I see him as a player with David Backes upside and a Brodziak downside.
we have a lot of guys like that...floor is higher end third liner, ceiling is legitimate top six forward. Phillips, Coyle, Zucker, Larsson, Bulmer.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Coyle will bring us what we lost when Lats got hurt and left: a physical presence in the top-6 that will forecheck and go to the net.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's a shame Lats' career here was so short lived because I don't think people fully appreciated how badly we needed a power forward like that and how valuable they are.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Awesome Coyle article from before he was drafted. I didn't realize he was so shy back then. Seems like he's figured it out a bit. Being a big time player in the Q might have been pretty good for him.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
we have a lot of guys like that...floor is higher end third liner, ceiling is legitimate top six forward. Phillips, Coyle, Zucker, Larsson, Bulmer.
They have really picked them smart, i see them all making a living in NHL, Brussiers now also.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:45 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

I just hope that Houston is a good place to develop and get individual attention.
As long as they live to their end of the deal and work hard, and they seem to pick those that have lot of desire.

It makes the difference if you look at players like Mikko Koivu and Valtteri Filppula.
They don have any god-given special talent, they have just worked really hard and with people around that have given them the right coaching and time to develop.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I don't think Coyle is a center at the NHL level...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:11 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I don't think Coyle is a center at the NHL level...
Judging from how Saint John handled him and where he was placed in the prospect scrimmages, I don't think the organization sees him as a center either.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Joe Cool

So is the prospect pool overrated then?

Joe Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
Who can ever tell, i personally see top6 potential in Coyle and Phillips but we are much wiser after a season in AHL. All the key prospectS seem to have work ethic, intelligence and good balance as people, i see that as a very positive sign.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
talk of floor and ceiling isn't talking about projection or liklihood of falling into a specific role within that large margin. It'll be a huge disappointment if all of those guys end up nothing more than really good third liners but that's not likely to happen--it's probably the worst case scenario.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote