HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Trades/UFA/Roster Discussion Thread (Happy DVM?) Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2012, 12:51 AM
  #276
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,362
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I would like to see something like this tried:

Palmieri/Etem - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Holland - Selanne
Winnik - Koivu - DSP
Beleskey - Bonino - Cogliano
Staubitz
Any chance Ryan shifts sides with Selanne?

Selanne's handling is getting worse and worse. Yet his speed and shot have preserved pretty well. Let him roam and get in position to score, just like he can do on the PP. Let Ryan play on his strong side, which allows him to cut into the middle on his forehand. Also allows him forehand passes to a sneaked in Selanne.

And ugh on our highest paid defenseman on the third pairing. But that's what's going to happen.

snarktacular is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 01:13 AM
  #277
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
And ugh on our highest paid defenseman on the third pairing. But that's what's going to happen.
Only because the guys ahead of him are on dirt cheap contracts.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 06:40 AM
  #278
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Only because the guys ahead of him are on dirt cheap contracts.
Because they should not be slotted in their current roles.

Pwnasaurus is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 06:43 AM
  #279
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
The other problem with giving Ryan a line with Bonino and Palmieri is that both the Getzlaf line and Koivu line each have weak links. I don't think DSP is close to being ready to playing with Getzlaf and Perry against other teams top defensive units and Cogliano and his stone hands (not to mention Koivu's declining offense) drag down the Selanne line.

Ryan plays best when he is the primary puck carrier on his line, which he would definitely be on a line with Holland and Selanne. It would also mean Selanne wouldn't have to handle the puck as much which is never a bad thing.
I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Pwnasaurus is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 06:46 AM
  #280
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,399
vCash: 500
Souray won`t be on 3d pair.

He`ll be on 2nd pair when healthy. Maybe even on 1st, depending how Bruce will mix up defense lines (Beauchemin - Souray(?))

Souray is a bit underrated here.
He is on a bad contract, but that doesnt mean he is unusable.

Kalvinators is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 07:11 AM
  #281
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend
 
quentez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Ryan plays his best with lesser players. I still think one of the best stretches of Ryan's career was the Ryan-Koivu-Sexton line. Obviously Sexton blows, but that line was great, because Ryan put K/S on his back and made that line good.
Makes me think of a line with Ryan and Etem. The latter one should be comparable to Sexton at this stage of his career, at least speed wise.

quentez is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 08:41 AM
  #282
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Ryan plays his best with lesser players. I still think one of the best stretches of Ryan's career was the Ryan-Koivu-Sexton line. Obviously Sexton blows, but that line was great, because Ryan put K/S on his back and made that line good. Similar to how Ryan made Parros and Carter score in a the ~10 games he played with them in his rookie season.

IMO Ryan is a player who makes those around him better, but struggles when hes not the man facilitating the offense. Thats why he clicked with Koivu and Sexton, and made Sexton look like he could possibly hack it. And made Koivu look like a good 2C. Which is why it probably makes the most sense to use 3 scoring lines with Ryan on his own line, versus 2 and a shutdown unit, although I prefer that style of play. Id like Ryan-Holland-Selanne to work, but I dont know if thatd bring out the best in Teemu or Bobby, because we could have a shutdown line of DSP-Koivu-Winnik. But if Ryan-Bonino-DSP/KP allows Ryan to thrive then we should try it.
Koivu was much better offensively in his first year with the Ducks than he is currently. Ryan didn't make him look like a 2nd line center, he was a pretty good 2nd line center back then nonetheless. If Bonino or Holland can be the player Koivu was in 09/10 we're in luck.

I'm not against spreading scoring out, but having Ryan with a couple of 20-30 point players over a full year is waste (unless Holland/Bonino/Palmieri takes another step). Also, we finally have the material to put up a decent shutdown line with Winnik, Koivu, and DSP. I hope to see that combination next season.

Elvs is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
  #283
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim
 
ShadowDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 150
Any chance we see Teemu up with Getz and Perry? Obviously not the ideal situation of having him on the 1st line.

Selanne - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Bones/Holland - Palmieri
DSP - Koivu - Winnik
Cogliano - Bones/Holland - Beleskey

Gives us a dangerous top line, a 2nd line that revolves around Bobby (something he has said he's wanted quite a bit) and that has shown chemistry, a shutdown 3rd line. On the 4th line Cogliano can take advantage of playing against 3rd pairing Dmen, and Beleskey has become a better player with BB in charge.

ShadowDuck is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
  #284
kenabnrmal
Registered User
 
kenabnrmal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the beach or rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Any chance we see Teemu up with Getz and Perry? Obviously not the ideal situation of having him on the 1st line.

Selanne - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Bones/Holland - Palmieri
DSP - Koivu - Winnik
Cogliano - Bones/Holland - Beleskey

Gives us a dangerous top line, a 2nd line that revolves around Bobby (something he has said he's wanted quite a bit) and that has shown chemistry, a shutdown 3rd line. On the 4th line Cogliano can take advantage of playing against 3rd pairing Dmen, and Beleskey has become a better player with BB in charge.
I don't mind that as a different look occasionally. I don't think we'll see Teemu on the top line regularly, but contrary to popular belief he does play a pretty decent cycle game, and is better than almost anyone at jumping into soft spots in the D-coverage. With Koivu slowing down considerably, I think you'll see Selanne slid around the lines a little bit to provide a spark, instead of carrying his own.

Unless BM pulls something out of his oversized hat and makes a trade for a top-6 or signs Doan, regardless of how you shuffle the lines, the bottom line is we'll need a breakout season or two from the DSP, Palmieri, Bonino, Holland group.

kenabnrmal is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 09:33 AM
  #285
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,399
vCash: 500
I don`t think Teemu will see time on top line at all.

Bruce had opportunity to try that out for half of the season, and he didn`t. Just because now we will start new season, doesnt mean Teemu will be tryed out on top line. He plays RW only on PP, and that is a bit different. To try to addapt on opposite wing at age 42 would be silly.

Kalvinators is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
  #286
JabbaJabba
Registered User
 
JabbaJabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,962
vCash: 552
I don't think that Selänne and Koivu will be on different lines. They are like Perry and Getzlaf, inseparable. Unless it's PK or PP time, Finns are going to be together. I would also like to think that Bonino and Palmieri are used together.

???-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Koivu-Selänne
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri
Winnik-???-Beleskey/Staubitz/DSP

I didn't put anyone with the Twins yet 'cos some people seem to be against putting DSP there and they might try some rookie (Maroon, Etem etc. dunno). I'm not against using Bobby with Bonino and Palmieri. Boner and Kyle have chemistry and Boner is good enough 3rd line center while Ryan adds a lot of skill to that line. I agree that he plays better when he's not with Getzlaf and Perry, atleast now.

JabbaJabba is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
  #287
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter
 
PuqTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
I get the feeling that Boudreau and the rest of his new coaching staff aren't going to let any "inseparables" hold them back from creating the best lineup possible. That being said, I expect to see Ryan, Perry, and Getzlaf together.

PuqTalk is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 12:21 PM
  #288
kenabnrmal
Registered User
 
kenabnrmal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the beach or rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
I don`t think Teemu will see time on top line at all.

Bruce had opportunity to try that out for half of the season, and he didn`t. Just because now we will start new season, doesnt mean Teemu will be tryed out on top line. He plays RW only on PP, and that is a bit different. To try to addapt on opposite wing at age 42 would be silly.
You could well be right, but I think don't think that just because BB didn't do it at the end of last season, negates any possibility that it happens this season. Coaches try different looks out all the time, especially when they have as many interchangeable parts as BB seemingly has right now. As I said, I don't think it'd be a regular thing, but I wouldn't write it off as a different look now and then to spark things...switching from the right to left side occasionally wouldn't be a huge issue for Teemu, but if it is slide Perry over. I don't think it's that out of the question.

kenabnrmal is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
  #289
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I don't think that Selänne and Koivu will be on different lines.
I`d be ok to seperate them (Bruce decision could be different though). Mostly it`s because i`d like to see Winnik-Koivu-Devo line.

And also because a lot of Ducks staff (Bruce, Bob) are stating that Koivu will need to earn 2nd line job and wery well could be put in 3d line, could be a sign that Bruce won`t be afraid of seperating them (since i don`t believe that Teemu on 3d line would be a great idea).

But now i wonder if we weren`t signing 2nd line C because if Teemu returns, he could be put with Koivu on 2nd line? We`ll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
You could well be right, but I think don't think that just because BB didn't do it at the end of last season, negates any possibility that it happens this season. Coaches try different looks out all the time, especially when they have as many interchangeable parts as BB seemingly has right now. As I said, I don't think it'd be a regular thing, but I wouldn't write it off as a different look now and then to spark things...switching from the right to left side occasionally wouldn't be a huge issue for Teemu, but if it is slide Perry over. I don't think it's that out of the question.
Yeah, agreed!

And he definatly wont see regular time on top line LW.
Our top line is also our shut-down line, so Teemu isn`t the guy to put there.

If we have that shutdown line W-K-D, then Teemu MAYBE could see some time, but even then i doubt it, because G-P are great two way players who`ll be asked to spend some time defending to.

Kalvinators is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 04:16 PM
  #290
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,729
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
You could well be right, but I think don't think that just because BB didn't do it at the end of last season, negates any possibility that it happens this season. Coaches try different looks out all the time, especially when they have as many interchangeable parts as BB seemingly has right now. As I said, I don't think it'd be a regular thing, but I wouldn't write it off as a different look now and then to spark things...switching from the right to left side occasionally wouldn't be a huge issue for Teemu, but if it is slide Perry over. I don't think it's that out of the question.
If it's was an issue for Teemu, what makes you think it won't be an issue for Perry? I think the fact that Perry won a Hart Trophy gives him a level of seniority where he can play on his stronger side. Why force a square peg into a round hole? If Bobby Ryan isn't a perfect fit with Getzlaf and Perry, why do we think Selanne would be any better at all?

Sojourn is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
  #291
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I don't think that Selänne and Koivu will be on different lines. They are like Perry and Getzlaf, inseparable. Unless it's PK or PP time, Finns are going to be together. I would also like to think that Bonino and Palmieri are used together.

???-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Koivu-Selänne
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri
Winnik-???-Beleskey/Staubitz/DSP

I didn't put anyone with the Twins yet 'cos some people seem to be against putting DSP there and they might try some rookie (Maroon, Etem etc. dunno). I'm not against using Bobby with Bonino and Palmieri. Boner and Kyle have chemistry and Boner is good enough 3rd line center while Ryan adds a lot of skill to that line. I agree that he plays better when he's not with Getzlaf and Perry, atleast now.
In the Ducks A-Z article about Koivu in the OC register Stephens said that both Selanne and Koivu acknowledged that his role may change for the upcoming year. So they're probably not as inseparable as many think.

At the end of the day if we can't acquire a 2C through trade then we need Holland (or Bonino) to step into that hole ideally this year. IMO It will be a hell of a lot easier to let them do it when we've got vets like Ryan and Selanne to put them with.

Paul4587 is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 04:47 PM
  #292
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,729
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
In the Ducks A-Z article about Koivu in the OC register Stephens said that both Selanne and Koivu acknowledged that his role may change for the upcoming year. So they're probably not as inseparable as many think.

At the end of the day if we can't acquire a 2C through trade then we need Holland (or Bonino) to step into that hole ideally this year. IMO It will be a hell of a lot easier to let them do it when we've got vets like Ryan and Selanne to put them with.
Agreed. It gives the team options. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to keep them together anymore. It just limits the line combinations, and for what reason? For all the talk of their chemistry together, what has it resulted in? A second line that hasn't consistently been good for a while. At least with Getzlaf and Perry together the team gets tangible results.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
  #293
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,257
vCash: 500
Some people have put too much emphasis on Teemu and Saku staying together. If BB finds 3 guys not named Perry or Getzlaf who can light the lamp consistently they will play together a lot...whether we call them a third line or second line.

There is too much debating over who is third line caliber and who is second line caliber. It doesn't matter. The results on the ice will dictate the TOI any line gets.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar. YMMV

Eddie Shack is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
  #294
JabbaJabba
Registered User
 
JabbaJabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,962
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Agreed. It gives the team options. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to keep them together anymore. It just limits the line combinations, and for what reason? For all the talk of their chemistry together, what has it resulted in? A second line that hasn't consistently been good for a while. At least with Getzlaf and Perry together the team gets tangible results.
Because this team doesn't have a true 2nd line center, Koivu is the best of what we have. I don't believe that Holland suddenly becomes the 2nd line center this team needs, atleast not during the beginning of the season. Bonino has a chance to step up over Koivu (not a sure thing) but I see the Finns playing together a better option than Bonino-Selänne (I doubt it would be any more consistently good). Chemistry shouldn't be overlooked.

It's good that they are making everyone work for their spots and not just give them away. Competition brings the best out of people.

JabbaJabba is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
  #295
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,729
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Because this team doesn't have a true 2nd line center, Koivu is the best of what we have. I don't believe that Holland suddenly becomes the 2nd line center this team needs, atleast not during the beginning of the season. Bonino has a chance to step up over Koivu (not a sure thing) but I see the Finns playing together a better option than Bonino-Selänne (I doubt it would be any more consistently good). Chemistry shouldn't be overlooked.

It's good that they are making everyone work for their spots and not just give them away. Competition brings the best out of people.
That's not really an argument for Koivu. It's just an example of how weak Anaheim is down the middle. If Bonino out-plays Koivu, do you really want to see Selanne stay with Koivu just because of chemistry? I don't. Koivu just isn't that dangerous offensively. All that chemistry they are reported to have hasn't meant all that much for the Ducks.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 06:55 PM
  #296
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,257
vCash: 500
Chemistry is what causes 1+1 to equal 3. When 1+1 = 2 there is no chemistry. Saku and Teemu do not now equal 3, if they ever did.

Eddie Shack is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
  #297
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Chemistry is what causes 1+1 to equal 3. When 1+1 = 2 there is no chemistry. Saku and Teemu do not now equal 3, if they ever did.
I agree. What he had with AndyMac and Kariya was chemistry.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 08:43 PM
  #298
MuffinMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Would you trade Ryan for Johnansson, Troy Brouwer, and a First Round Pick?

MuffinMan is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 09:40 PM
  #299
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter
 
PuqTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Not at all.

PuqTalk is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 02:29 AM
  #300
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,399
vCash: 500
Newest player profile: Toni Lydman
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638965
i didn`t knew his favorite band is Mastodon. Mine to!

I demand him to be on the 1st pair

PS
It`ll be his first season with the Ducks when he comes in healthy in training camp. Although, it felt like double vision is good for him.

Kalvinators is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.