HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Spezza brings out the worst in everyone... including himself.

must be that geeky little laugh of his... he's such a nerd.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:44 PM
croAVSfan*

I would like to read from Canadian fans how Can roster is going to look like if no-NHL-ers in Sochi ?

Old
07-29-2012, 06:46 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
pretty much everyone. crosby, toews, giroux, stamkos, tavares, nash, staal, staal, richards, perry, getzlaf, eberle, hall, rnh, skinner, benn, bergeron, seguin, iginla, my cat, my grandma, me (but NOT Neal).

This. People need to stop the insanity. he's not coming.

on another note...back to goalies. who on earth will be #1. at this point i'm just hoping price is ready.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:25 PM
spfan

Quote:
i was being facetious about sharp - and don't hate him...i'm a hawks fan. but i just don't think he's got much of a chance making the team...just because there are so many other players in line before him. he didn't make it in Van - and since then i think that, if anything, more players have moved in line in front of him.

re: Holtby - i have no particular problem with the guy. I think Price is probably better now and will be better a year and a half from now...but, like you said, somebody has to step up.

Maybe i'm wrong...but if Doan and St. Louis didn't make it to Van, i don't see them making it to Sochi. If anything, this team will be harder to make...and I suspect the "holes" left by players from Van who don't come back will be filled by younger players.

As far as the "experience factor"...keep in mind, it's likely that there will be a number of players from Van returning (including those who are captains on their NHL teams...Crosby, Toews, Weber, *maybe* Getzlaf)...and assuming Giroux goes, he'll probably be his team's captain by that point. I'm just saying I don't think purposely adding a "veteran voice" for the the locker room is as important as you're making it out to be.

The other thing about Doan is his on-ice style isn't as valuable in an international competition (with the ice size, rules, and style of play) as it is in the NHL...and the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th line distinction isn't nearly as important at the Olympics...if anything, you end up pretty much with 4 scoring lines.

ETA - I was reading your post again and you raise good points about St. Louis - you're right, he may very well make it. but re: doan...i still think he has no chance...and, frankly, there are enough players i'd put before him i don't particularly want to see him make it.
Thanks for agreeing on St Louis!

I will disagree that the olympics are 4 scoring lines. Russia is like that, but they really have no other choice pretty much. Canada,US and Sweden are filled with offensive players, but also ones who play a complete game(physical and two-way play)

Doan might have lost a step by 2014, but right now I think he is a good role player. I do have young players who play his type of game too like Evander Kane and Jamie Benn, but I think you need more. Especially when playing a team like Russia where you have to shut their offense down, Doan would be a nice help. Speed is important, but not everyone has to play the same game, Doan just brings 1 piece to a team. Also they'll have to match the US physically and Doan could step up then. Likely a lot will change by 2014 though.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
I would like to read from Canadian fans how Can roster is going to look like if no-NHL-ers in Sochi ?
Like a Saturday night beer league team.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Mehar

With all due respect to the posters- Shane Doan, Jamie Benn, James Neal, and Spezza are way behind the depth charts when considering my forwards for Sochi. Same with RNH, who finished just one pro season of hockey and turned 19 years old only a couple of months back. I also agree with one poster who mentioned Martin St. Louis as a possible forward for Sochi. St. Louis on the big ice has always played well, including when he played in 2006 in Italy, and in the WHC in 2009, when he was Canada's best player leading them to a Silver Medal.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:43 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
With all due respect to the posters- Shane Doan, Jamie Benn, James Neal, and Spezza are way behind the depth charts when considering my forwards for Sochi. Same with RNH, who finished just one pro season of hockey and turned 19 years old only a couple of months back. I also agree with one poster who mentioned Martin St. Louis as a possible forward for Sochi. St. Louis on the big ice has always played well, including when he played in 2006 in Italy, and in the WHC in 2009, when he was Canada's best player leading them to a Silver Medal.
No question that a MSL - Stamkos combo would be lethal. MSL is still performing at an elite level and is not showing any signs of slowing down. I would have definitely had him on the team in 2010. If I were putting the team together he'd be a near-lock in 2014 too (ie, he'd need to play his way off the team). BUT, the fact that Hockey Canada didn't select him 2010 means to me that they in all likelihood won't select him in 2010 either. Not saying its right, but that's just my suspicion.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
No question that a MSL - Stamkos combo would be lethal. MSL is still performing at an elite level and is not showing any signs of slowing down. I would have definitely had him on the team in 2010. If I were putting the team together he'd be a near-lock in 2014 too (ie, he'd need to play his way off the team). BUT, the fact that Hockey Canada didn't select him 2010 means to me that they in all likelihood won't select him in 2010 either. Not saying its right, but that's just my suspicion.
Yeah I agree, not sure why he wasn't there in 2010, especially when Jeff Carter was on the back up roster. Jeff Carter should have never gotten a sniff and MSL was basically Canada's best winger. He can play the PP, PK, and even strength, not sure why he wasn't a lock. Maybe there is something we don't know.

Frankly all the Hall and RNH are overblown on here as well. Has either gotten over 60 points in one season? Because neither are defensively smart or physically dominant, so really they shouldn't be talked about yet. I hope they develop into stars and are capable of playing in Sochi, but we're basing this on projection alone, not facts.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Yeah I agree, not sure why he wasn't there in 2010, especially when Jeff Carter was on the back up roster. Jeff Carter should have never gotten a sniff and MSL was basically Canada's best winger. He can play the PP, PK, and even strength, not sure why he wasn't a lock. Maybe there is something we don't know.

Frankly all the Hall and RNH are overblown on here as well. Has either gotten over 60 points in one season? Because neither are defensively smart or physically dominant, so really they shouldn't be talked about yet. I hope they develop into stars and are capable of playing in Sochi, but we're basing this on projection alone, not facts.
I do agree with what you are saying, but alot can happen between now and the time the team is picked. MSL will be close to 39 years old at the next Olympics and his production dropped quite abit last season. I trust Yzerman and company, and will be behind the team 100%.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:07 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
For the forward, I'm really giving it to the young guys, but this is speculation and I could change my mind if some veterans show that they can still play well. For me, J. Staal won't make the team since we already have a 2-way center with more talent (Toews) and Crosby who is good all around.

Duchene-Crosby-Perry
Kane-Giroux-Stamkos
Neal-Toews- Sharp
Hall-Tavares- Eberle

HS depending on who has the better seasons: J. Staal, E. Staal, Getzlaf, Richards, Nash

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Green- Letang

*Pietrengelo

other HS: Depending on who has the better seasons: Phaneuf, Myers, Del Zotto, Subban. Not sure about Myers since he's the one I watch the least, but I hear some great things about him so I included him. Maybe a prospect from a draft could even sneek in like Murray, Reinhart, Dumba or even Seth Jones who knows.

Goalies will depend on who will have the best seasons, but if we go according to potentiel then this is how I see it. If those 4 can play at their 100% ,then any of them is a great choice although the USA will also have a pretty strong goalie pool as well.

Price
Fleury
Luongo/Ward

Last edited by JayKing: 07-31-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
For the forward, I'm really giving it to the young guys, but this is speculation and I could change my mind if some veterans show that they can still play well. For me, J. Staal won't make the team since we already have a 2-way center with more talent (Toews) and Crosby who is good all around.

Duchene-Crosby-Perry
Kane-Giroux-Stamkos
Neal-Toews- Sharp
Hall-Tavares- Eberle

HS depending on who has the better seasons: J. Staal, E. Staal, Getzlaf, Richards, Nash

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Green- Letang

*Pietrengelo

other HS: Depending on who has the better seasons: Phaneuf, Myers, Del Zotto, Subban. Not sure about Myers since he's the one I watch the least, but I hear some great things about him so I included him. Maybe a prospect from a draft could even sneek in like Murray, Reinhart, Dumba or even Seth Jones who knows.

Goalies will depend on who will have the best seasons, but if we go according to potentiel then this is how I see it. If those 4 can play at their 100% ,then any of them is a great choice although the USA will also have a pretty strong goalie pool as well.

Price
Fleury
Luongo/Ward
Here are my comments:

Duchene will likely not be on the team. The guy has skills, but absolutely no hockey sense whatsoever. Lots of flash, not very effective. Kane is about the same, he's stronger and faster though and can play a power type game, maybe Kane makes it. Sharp really shouldn't be there. He isn't a big scorer, and he's not really 2-way, and he was terrible this year at the worlds. James Neal I'm not sold on, but if he keeps producing, hey, maybe he gets a sniff at the team. Again, Hall has done nothing to merit being on this team as of yet.

Mike Green? Really, Mike Green? Enough said about that.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby (A) - Corey Perry
Taylor Hall - Claude Giroux - Jordan Eberle
James Neal - John Tavares - Jarome Iginla (C)
Mike Richards - Jonathon Toews - Patrice Bergeron
x: Jordan Staal (PK'er - a la Bergeron 2010)

In contention: Rick Nash, Ryan Getzlaf, Eric Staal, Jason Spezza, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Tyler Seguin

Shea Weber - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith (A) - Drew Doughty
Kris Letang - Brent Seabrook
x: Dan Hamhuis

In contention: P.K. Subban, Marc Staal, Karl Alzner

Carey Price
Marc-André Fleury
Roberto Luongo

Line I: Stamkos - Crosby - Perry
A very straightforward line. All top-line players. Stamkos is the sniper, the huge one-timer, the shot, the speed everything. Perry is the power, he creates space, he hits hard, he intimidates. And obviously Crosby, the playmaker.

Line II: Hall - Giroux - Eberle
Hall and Eberle are both wildcards but Eberle has international pedigree and should be in his prime by the time 2014 rolls around as should Hall. Keep them together for the chemistry and put one of the best centers in the game in between then. Giroux is a feisty player that will piss off the opposition and Hall crashes and hits every single thing that moves. This is a youth line as well as they will all be hungry to prove something.

Line III A: Neal - Tavares - Iginla
Yes - yes. I included Iginla. But as Niedermeyer was in 2010, Iginla will be the same age and he will bring the veteran presence needed for Team Canada as the captain of the team. Neal has that wicked shot and has been improving every year and should be ready by 2014. Tavares is the same case, probably one of the smartest players in the game should shine next to a hall of famer and another young gun ready to prove himself.

Line III B: Richards - Toews - Bergeron
As you can see, I don't differentiate this as the fourth line because it's not. Just look at it. This was the shutdown line of 2010 (excluding Nash, including Bergeron) and why not reunite them. The best two way line on the team and still incredible offensively. This line will make the oppositions life a living hell with hard hitting and two-way play.

Defensive Pairing I:
Weber - Pietrangelo
Towers of power right here. Weber is arguably one of the best defenseman in the league and putting him next to a kid who will be in his prime by 2014 will be dangerous. Both possess huge shots and both are at the top of their game defensively. This combo would bring the perfect amount of offense and defense plus will be deadly on the PP.

Defensive Pairing II: Keith - Doughty
Smooth-skating, offensively minded pairing. Will take risks and will take chances but will drive the opposition crazy because they can play such a 200 foot game. Keith will bring the veteran leadership to the pairing and be a great compliment to the young Doughty.

Defensive Pairing III: Letang - Seabrook
A nice combination of the above two pairings. Both are offensively gifted and while Letang will be the offensive mind of the two - Seabrook can easily play a stay-at-home game.

Last edited by BonMorrison: 08-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old
08-01-2012, 01:24 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I don't understand why people are insisting that players who clearly couldn't make the cut for Van (St. Louis excluded) have a chance of making it for Sochi. Frankly, the only reason I'm giving St. Louis a chance (aside from his skill) is b/c Yzerman is probably picking the team...the same Yzerman who has fawned extensively over Eberle, Hall, and Nuge.

I think to the extent ppl are cut are don't return from the Van team, they'll be replaced by younger, not older players.

Whoever asked what would happen if we don't have NHL in Sochi - it will likely be our WJC team - a more interesting question is, if the NHL won't stop play for Sochi, can teams still release players (in the same way that NHL teams can release players to WJC if they feel like it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken
pretty much everyone. crosby, toews, giroux, stamkos, tavares, nash, staal, staal, richards, perry, getzlaf, eberle, hall, rnh, skinner, benn, bergeron, seguin, iginla, my cat, my grandma, me (but NOT Neal).
Your point being what? You think Sharp would make the team before Nash, Staal, Staal, Richards, RNH, and Benn? Um, not likely.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Mr Writer

I would be somewhat surprised if St. Louis makes it, not shocked, only somewhat surprised, but if it comes down to a choice between St. Louis and Iginla, (as one poster suggested Iginla wears the C) I'd prefer St. Louis get the invite over Iginla. Quite frankly I'd like to see Iginla get snubbed by Hockey Canada for all the years of him snubbing the World Championships, sorry fellas, gotta go rest. You think in the past 10 years he could have accepted just one invite? So, if all things are equal and Marty is still putting up pts with Stammer, then by all means take Marty and leave Iggy behind. He can go get the rest and spend time with the family.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
therealdeal

Frankly I don't see either of St. Louis or Iginla making it in 2014. If MSL wasn't there in 2010, he likely won't be selected for 2014. Not sure why he wasn't there, but enough of that.

Iggy is just generally slowing down. I think Iggy is great in a lot of ways, but just don't know how much he can help the team. Maybe take him as a 13th forward I suppose, give him some PP time. Great leader, good dressing room guy as far as I can tell, but simply doesn't have the juice anymore.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:33 PM
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.

vCash: 50
I'm seeing too much James Neal in here. I know he had a good year and all, but he just seemed so unimpressive whenever I watched him. Im wondering if people are just stat-watching when it comes to him, or they really believe he can be a top line winger on the team.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Chevrier

Pietrangelo will 100 percent be on the team, no ifs and or buts.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:48 AM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
I'm seeing too much James Neal in here. I know he had a good year and all, but he just seemed so unimpressive whenever I watched him. Im wondering if people are just stat-watching when it comes to him, or they really believe he can be a top line winger on the team.
He's not bad defensively and he brings a physical game. Plus he'll have chemistry with Crosby. If he plays like he did this past season, then he'll be a good player to have.

Old
08-02-2012, 08:19 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I would be somewhat surprised if St. Louis makes it, not shocked, only somewhat surprised, but if it comes down to a choice between St. Louis and Iginla, (as one poster suggested Iginla wears the C) I'd prefer St. Louis get the invite over Iginla. Quite frankly I'd like to see Iginla get snubbed by Hockey Canada for all the years of him snubbing the World Championships, sorry fellas, gotta go rest. You think in the past 10 years he could have accepted just one invite? So, if all things are equal and Marty is still putting up pts with Stammer, then by all means take Marty and leave Iggy behind. He can go get the rest and spend time with the family.
Actually, reflecting on it a bit, it would be a damn shame if MSL goes through his career without winning an Olympic gold. He wasn't established as a star player in 2002 obviously, and was (IMO) snubbed in 2010. Given that, and his age in 2014, I (like the others posting here) would be surprised if he made the 2014 team. Can anyone think of a better Canadian player of this generation to have gone through their career without winning gold?

Old
08-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Actually, reflecting on it a bit, it would be a damn shame if MSL goes through his career without winning an Olympic gold. He wasn't established as a star player in 2002 obviously, and was (IMO) snubbed in 2010. Given that, and his age in 2014, I (like the others posting here) would be surprised if he made the 2014 team. Can anyone think of a better Canadian player of this generation to have gone through their career without winning gold?
He did have his shot at the national team. From 2004-06 In 2004 the World Cup Team and in 06 with the Olympic team. The team didn't gel and grossly under-performed in Torino, so thus the turnover in 2010. Do I feel bad for him not winning gold if he doesn't get another shot in 2014? No, not one bit.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:42 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post

I don't get it - he's fine and everything, but we don't get to take as many athletes as we think are good - one person on keeps another person off...and there are too many players more justifiably included than Neal for him to keep people off.

Also - going back to the question of who we send if NHL players can't go - above, i casually responded that we'd send our World Junior team...and then, later thought about my response more and thought "can't be serious"

to give context to my response, lillehammer popped into my head and i was thinking "who did we send then"...and for some reason, I thought of Paul Kariya, who had played in WJC the year *before*...and for some reason i mentally translated that into "we sent our world junior team to Lillehammer". Oops

But that's a good question...who do we send? I'm assuming that NHL will be in Sochi, b/c I think there would be too much drama with the Russian players if the NHL said no (particularly in light of the fact the NHL played in the c-a-n-a-d-a olympics). A more interesting question is whether the NHL would be enthused about sending players to South Korea...they were okay with Nagano - so maybe same deal?

Old
08-03-2012, 12:44 AM
NSi

Could be something like this:

Tavares - Crosby - Benn
Skinner - Giroux - Stamkos
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
E. Staal - Toews - St-Louis

Weber - Doughty
Letang - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook

Price
Ward
Fleury
(Goalies in no particular order, although I do see all of Price's games so I'm a little biased towards how great I think he can be in that hard environment - Russian-crowd, gold-medal to defend, etc.)

I don't even want to talk about the drama of 13th forward and 7th d-man for now.

Last edited by NSi: 08-03-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: making it clearer
Old
08-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Takashi

If subban improves, he should be in the team right? He was supposed to play in this year championship but got injured

Old
08-04-2012, 01:26 PM
MyersMagic57*

Giroux stamkos and Crosby on one line. Unstoppable

Old
08-04-2012, 04:33 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:

Your point being what? You think Sharp would make the team before Nash, Staal, Staal, Richards, RNH, and Benn? Um, not likely.
My point was that Neal is better than all of those players. Nash has no heart; J Staal sucks; he's better than RNH, Benn and E Staal, and he should be on the team before Richards.

Closed Thread