HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because that’s just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 11:40 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
It's bed time but I want to leave a discussion starter so I can wake up and have something to do

Where do you think our top 6 ranks against others in the league? Personally I think we still have to have one of the best, even with Dupuis on Sid's line and the winner of the TK/Tangradi/Road-Cone competition on Geno's.
Absolutely one of the best. Sid and Geno...nuff said. No one has the top two centers in the league like we do. Neal is a 40+ goal scorer who has amazing chemistry with Geno. Kunitz is a solid first line winger. Not the ideal first line winger for Sid but he's still incredibly solid and would be on every other team's top six. Dupuis, we can sit here and say what we want about him but the dude's a hard worker, battles for pucks and has chemistry with Sid. Plus he had his career high last season with over 20 goals. If we could have one more solid winger to put on Geno's line, that would be ideal. Maybe a cheap veteran, I don't know.

Also, while our line-up isn't what we thought it would be right now currently, there is no way Shero just lets all the cap space sitting. No way. Say what you want about him but he's always trying to find ways to improve our team. He's probably just as pissed off as many of us are.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:47 PM
SEALBound

Crosby + anyone and Malkin + Neal makes our top 6 one of the best pretty much automatically...but doesn't mean we don't need improvement. Like always we are one winger away from being absolutely filthy dangerous.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:51 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Crosby + anyone and Malkin + Neal makes our top 6 one of the best pretty much automatically...but doesn't mean we don't need improvement. Like always we are one winger away from being absolutely filthy dangerous.
Which is why I think some are being spoiled here. Yes, it sucks losing Parise when we were close to getting him. It'd be great to have someone like him or Semin or Doan. However, we don't need one of those three to improve our top six. Someone like a Chris Stewart would do. A little afraid what we'd give up for him but I definitely would welcome him.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:28 AM
Honour Over Glory

I think maybe Dupers found some of that confidence he's been lacking since he first scored 20 goals way back when, if he can even do 20/20 this next season, I'm still happy with him in the top 6. I wish this crap about Stewart would just stop, the guy re-signed with the Blues, just forget it already.

Shero might actually let the guys he has, fight for the open spots. I'm ok with seeing that, if he feels the team needs more, he'll go out and make a trade after he's seen what he has, in camp, in pre-season games...seeing the proof on the ice.

Sullivan is gone, Whitney took the best contract for a guy his age, Doan is bat**** crazy thinking he will get that 7.5m/yr offer, Semin signed for a lot for 1yr, etc.

The options blow on the UFA front outside of Andrei Kostitsyn.

Look for yourselves.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:38 AM
JTG

I think there are definitely worse options for a top 6 role aside from Clutterbuck. I think he could do as well as Dupuis has, but brings that quality that makes any team he's on incredibly hard to play against.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:59 AM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
What's the story with Bobby Butler? He played pretty well in college and the A and was decent in his first NHL season (granted, it was a garbage team).
I think Butler could be a great camp invite he's still young at 25. Can't hurt to invite him. I would really like Butler and AK to sign with us. Add a Colin White a veteran for the 3rd pairing and call it till the deadline.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
What's the story with Bobby Butler? He played pretty well in college and the A and was decent in his first NHL season (granted, it was a garbage team).
From what I hear from the Sens fans is that they have to many players like him and don't have room on the top lines. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him.

Always liked Eaton as well despite being injured a lot, played decent for the Islanders

Old
07-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
From what I hear from the Sens fans is that they have to many players like him and don't have room on the top lines. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him.

Always liked Eaton as well despite being injured a lot, played decent for the Islanders
Mark Eaton is more of the same. He doesn't fix the problem we have on D at all.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Funk311

While i could go for more overall depth with size up front...one thing i do like is that there will be some good battles at camp this year.

Maybe Shero is waiting to see some of how camp and preseason play out before determining what he is willing to part with.

There are many ways this roster could shake out, but i hope guys find better roles or push each other with more open competition.

One spot in the top 6 and open 3rd line. That along with the defense's under performance in the playoffs against a strong young talent pool.

I hope Simon put on some more muscle and comes into camp using his skating to lay the body. I could see he and Engo being a steady, well rounded, and pain in the A pairing to play against.

As we move from silly season to pre-season, the thought of actual hockey excites more than "be the GM" mode.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Mark Eaton is more of the same. He doesn't fix the problem we have on D at all.
True but i'd prefer him as of depth over Lovejoy or Strait

Old
07-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
True but i'd prefer him as of depth over Lovejoy or Strait
Strait and Lovejoy are what, our number 8 and 9 guys as of right now?

And honestly, I'd rather give Strait a shot at this point. Eaton is a pretty decent player. I think Strait is too though. I'd rather go with the cheaper one that we already have who has potential to actually improve. Not to mention Eaton just can't stay healthy.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 07-31-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old
07-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Shady Machine

Scott Hannan, Colin White, Mark Eaton. Are you guys out of your minds? We are always clamoring for our prospects to get a chance and when they are finally ready, we would prefer to sign old ass veterans that will be at best equals to the Straits and Borts of the world. Now is time to let the kids get bottom pairing minutes. No more stop gap veterans on D. Hell, we already have to get rid of Lovejoy and likely one of Strait or Bort. Let's not make it all 3.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Strait and Lovejoy are what, our number 8 and 9 guys as of right now?

And honestly, I'd rather give Strait a shot at this point. Eaton is a pretty decent player. I think Strait is too though. I'd rather go with the cheaper one that we already have who has potential to actually improve. Not to mention Eaton just can't stay healthy.
He wouldn't be in my top 6, but just someone I would trust more if needed to come in. Don't trust Strait and Lovejoy that much. It's no big deal, hopefully we stay healthy and don't need our 7-8...

Old
07-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
He wouldn't be in my top 6, but just someone I would trust more if needed to come in. Don't trust Strait and Lovejoy that much. It's no big deal, hopefully we stay healthy and don't need our 7-8...
Lovejoy won't be on this team. We already have 8 without him. If you want a veteran stop gap, wait till the deadline. We also have Morrow and Dumoulin to call up for injuries and a veteran like Reese as well. So that gives us 11 D that can step in and play NHL minutes in case of injuries. Do we really need to add to that?

Old
07-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Lovejoy won't be on this team. We already have 8 without him. If you want a veteran stop gap, wait till the deadline. We also have Morrow and Dumoulin to call up for injuries and a veteran like Reese as well. So that gives us 11 D that can step in and play NHL minutes in case of injuries. Do we really need to add to that?
For sure, I know we have depth already but all I was saying is i'd prefer Eaton over Lovejoy or Strait as a depth defenseman. Who know's maybe Shero will be able to dump some of those guys the way he dumped Letestu and get a later round pick for either

Old
07-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
For sure, I know we have depth already but all I was saying is i'd prefer Eaton over Lovejoy or Strait as a depth defenseman. Who know's maybe Shero will be able to dump some of those guys the way he dumped Letestu and get a later round pick for either
Anything better than a 6th round pick for Lovejoy is just a gift but I'm not trading Brian Strait for anything worse than a 3rd rounder. They drafted him in the 3rd and spent time and money developing him. His development has been successful and he was one of the best shutdown pairings in the AHL. He is ready for the NHL and will be a solid bottom pairing dman IMO. Whether or not he can maintain that success in the NHL on a consistent basis remains to be seen. He has earned the opportunity though and I hope he gets it this season.

I get what you mean though, I just don't think the bottom pairing is where we should be concerned.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Doubt the Leafs move Kulemin especially after the deal he just signed which is a great one for Toronto
Agreed. I think we can scratch him off the list.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:37 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Scott Hannan, Colin White, Mark Eaton. Are you guys out of your minds? We are always clamoring for our prospects to get a chance and when they are finally ready, we would prefer to sign old ass veterans that will be at best equals to the Straits and Borts of the world. Now is time to let the kids get bottom pairing minutes. No more stop gap veterans on D. Hell, we already have to get rid of Lovejoy and likely one of Strait or Bort. Let's not make it all 3.
This!

Old
07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Just say no to mediocre / over the hill FA defensemen.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Thank you! I would be fine with Shero goig into te season with the roster as is on D.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:56 AM
JTG

It's definitely time to let the young guys go now that the situation has clearly presented itself.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:56 AM
gopens66
Bart 4 Crosby's RW!

I don't know why the same names keep getting regurgitated around here. If Shero does go the trade route, there are 29 teams with wingers out there. I've never really been that impressed with Setoguchi or Stewart, and those names have been tossed around since this past spring. I know it may be a big "if", but if Shero can sign Doan, there will be a lot of naysayers changing their tune on Shero. There has been a hundred lign-ups posted with Doan, so I won't bother, but adding him alone gives the Pens two devastating lines. Patience people, patience.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:00 AM
JTG

I'm not sure how a one time 30 goal scorer, and a perennial 20 goal scorer isn't something that anyone would want. Particularly one with a wicked shot who can be placed immediately on the left wall of the powerplay.

Seto has been scoring 20 goals with 70 games played for the last 3 years. When he played with an elite center he scored 30. We have everything a goal scorer like him needs here.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:00 AM
AZPenguins

I also think Tangradi and Jeffrey need to be allowed to show what hey can do in camp.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

It's interesting to look around the rosters and see just how much parity there is going to be. For example, look at the "mighty" Detroit Red Wings:

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,142,045; BONUSES: $462,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,057,955
Good first line, Kronwall is good but definitely lacks greatness.

Man, if we would have managed to sign Parise and/or Suter, our roster would have looked like the superpower of the league. Same with Philly if they would have gotten Weber.

One thing I hope Ray learned about this year is that the big fish don't necessarily go first. While we were waiting for Parise to make up his mind, we missed out on re-signing Sullivan or grabbing someone like Ray Whitney.

Closed Thread