HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect #8

View Poll Results: Who is the #8 Rangers prospect?
C Oscar Lindberg 4 4.30%
C Michael St. Croix 53 56.99%
C Steven Fogarty 5 5.38%
LW Andrew Yogan 20 21.51%
C Boo Nieves 5 5.38%
LW Marek Hrivik 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Yogan, add Andersson

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:34 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Except Christ is 10 years older and there's no reason right now to say that MSC can't improve in the next few years.
I never said that MSC is going to be EC. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I meant is if he doesn't continue to improve, he could end up being a similar player to EC, who has all of the offensive skill in the world, but can't put it all together to be an effective NHLer.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:03 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Yogan
Add Noreau

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
how many Ranger prospects or current home growns have ever scored 100+ points in the juniors? And Skjei has done exactly what to have such high regard? I'm high on him to but to speak in such absolutes? explanation. Obviously junior performance doesn't always translate into pro-success but we are just ranking prospects here so why shouldn't we be excited about MSC? you obviously know something some of us do not.

100+ point draftees in NYR history trivia. Can anyone think of any from the last 20 years? Marc Savard and Pavel Brendl are the only ones I could think of.
Luckily I don't stat surf or give a **** about stats.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm not a huge Thomas fan, but he's a better skater, he's better off the puck, and he's far more willing to get his nose dirty than St. Croix. St. Croix is a perimeter player at this point, who won't contribute anything other than offense, and I'm not sure that his game will translate to the pros.
Much stronger player, too. And that's saying something because he's not all that strong.

MSC may very well have a good career. He also may be a Corey Locke.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
St. Croix did not look so hot at Traverse City or in training camp. He did have a very good year. I'm not convinced he's going to be a player--I think he has more to prove.

Thomas does not exactly play like his dad. His dad was small too but was a real bull on the ice. If Thomas had some of his dad's grit he might project further down the lineup. As is he's going to have to put up numbers when he gets to the AHL and if he gets a chance at the NHL. Young and small as he is that's a challenge.

Which is why Yogan is a better bet to hit the NHL sooner. With his size and strength he can be easily projected further down the lineup. His upside is not as high as Thomas but he's a safer bet overall.

I'm not ready to say Bourque sucks but another season like last year and he'll be toast. A 5'8" player who can't produce at the AHL has no chance to make the NHL. Occasionally I see some suggesting he could make the Rangers this year. LOL. As much likelihood as one of the posters here.

I think Nieves is one player who could really move up. Size, skating, skill--going to play for Red Berenson--IMO the best college coach ever. That guy has turned out lots and lots of NHL'ers.
It just shows you how little people even follow prospects when they speak about them, sometimes, ya know?

I'm not even saying Bourque sucks. It's just that he has no strength and is a mush-head after all the concussions. I'm more worried about him having all of his mental faculties in a few years than I am about him making the NHL.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No. A mush-head who was bad in the AHL does not have any real bottom 6 potential for us this season unless half our team is all injured at once.
Just because he didn't pick up a lot of points doesn't mean he was bad. He wasn't.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
bernmeister

Yogan, he has good scoring track record.
But has more size, etc., than St. Croix.

Add Noreau Ceresniak pls

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
free0717

MSC add Spelling

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:57 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Just because he didn't pick up a lot of points doesn't mean he was bad. He wasn't.
Sure he was. Every game I saw of him he was completely overmatched physically. I really don't see how he makes the NHL unless he completely reinvents himself.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sure he was. Every game I saw of him he was completely overmatched physically. I really don't see how he makes the NHL unless he completely reinvents himself.
just outta curiosity....how is it that you can..

1)watch all the rangers games
2)watch mostly every other nhl team play
3)watch a ton of hartford/connecticut games
4)watch OHL games
5)watch WHL games
6)watch QMJHL games
7)watch SEL games
8)watch KHL games
9)go to law school
10)eat
11)sleep

not trying to be a schmuck...im actually genuinely wondering how that's humanly possible....i mean, you know a lot about seemingly every player we have, most of the players we've drafted, many of the players we didn't draft and ppl hated, many of the players we didn't draft and ppl loved, etc.

im just c

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

did i mention the us developmental league? knew i forgot something...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

4)watch OHL games
5)watch WHL games
6)watch QMJHL games
7)watch SEL games
8)watch KHL games
9)go to law school
10)eat
11)sleep

not trying to be a schmuck...im actually genuinely wondering how that's humanly possible....i mean, you know a lot about seemingly every player we have, most of the players we've drafted, many of the players we didn't draft and ppl hated, many of the players we didn't draft and ppl loved, etc.

im just c
lol. I always wondered the same thing. Jonathan is a lucky guy for having the time to catch all that hockey.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:28 AM
Draft Guru

St. Croix, add McColgan

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:33 AM
Jxmarts

St. Croix. Add Andersson with Noreau next.

St. Croix - He played junior as a 16 year old on one of the worst teams in the WHL, and he actually led the team in scoring with 46 points with a -21 rating. I think his reputation as a 1 dimensional player started then, at an age when most players are still playing midget hockey, and it has stuck with him. But both he & his team improved dramatically the following season when he improved to a +28. Then last year at 18, he was the leading scorer by a wide margin on one of the best teams in the WHL with a +40 rating to boot. I have not seen him play but for a few highlights, but I don't know what more he can do statistically to temper his critics.

Bourque - A diminuative player like Bourque must demonstrate exceptional skills at his level to remain a prospect. Bourque was never quite exceptional in junior, perhaps because of his concussions, and his production in the AHL made it clear that he does not have those requisite skills. Bourque scored 14 points in 69 games as a 20/21 year old for the Whale. By comparison his brother Chris, who now at 26 has been no more than a career minor leaguer, scored 36 points in 52 games as a 19/20 year old, and then 58 points a year later - Ryan's age last year. Yes, a young player can always improve, but those numbers don't bode well at all for a player of Bourque's size.

McColgan - I love his competitiveness, but unlike St. Croix, he hasn't shown
any improvement at all on the junior level. I always say that the key in evaluating prospects, is not in looking at static numbers, but seeing consistent improvement. Also unlike St. Croix, McColgan started out with a strong reputation 3 years ago, and it seems that reputation is holding strong. I think it should have lost some of its luster, however. Like Bourque, McColgan is extremely small, and he'll need to be exceptionally productive to remain a good prospect.

Noreau - If John Erskine is still playing in the NHL at 424 games and counting, then Sam Noreau should have a chance. I like the fact that he seems to be concentrating on his game as a defenseman instead of just fighting.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
NYR Viper

McColgan's team has been utterly terrible the past couple of years. He has good offensive skills and he looked good in camp last year with his speed and quickness at 18. I would say his chances of making the NHL are greater than St. Croix as McColgan would actually be able to play on the 3rd line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
94rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Add bourque...could be solid bottom 6 potential this season. Smaller dubi.
Bourque is in no way shape or form a smaller "Dubi" Also, he has absolutely no shot of making the NHL this year, he has been all but invisible at the AHL level. A career AHLer IMO at best, if that.

Last edited by 94rangers: 07-31-2012 at 09:20 AM.
94rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Bourque's upside at this point is looking a lot more like Steven Gionta than a Dubinsky. The injuries are really setting him back quite a bit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:48 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McColgan's team has been utterly terrible the past couple of years. He has good offensive skills and he looked good in camp last year with his speed and quickness at 18. I would say his chances of making the NHL are greater than St. Croix as McColgan would actually be able to play on the 3rd line.
I'm hoping McColgan can provide what Avery did at his best. Some secondary/tertiary scoring, physicality, and just enough pesty behavior to throw the other team off a little bit.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'm hoping McColgan can provide what Avery did at his best. Some secondary/tertiary scoring, physicality, and just enough pesty behavior to throw the other team off a little bit.
I think people should hold out hope that he can become a Callahan-like player. He has those kinds of skills. Brad Marchand is another comparable. Not sure he has that level of offense in him but I think he can be a NHLer.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This round is called. Move on to the next round: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1239515

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:05 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

4)watch OHL games
5)watch WHL games
6)watch QMJHL games
7)watch SEL games
8)watch KHL games
9)go to law school
10)eat
11)sleep

im just c
Bits and pieces, my friend. When I say watch a game I don't usually mean watch every waking second. I flick around.

Also, I didn't do **** during law school other than exam time. Never read for class or anything. Didn't hardly watch any junior games (a few now and then when I was intersted) or Euro streams this year.