HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does the current roster stack up to the beginning of the 05-06 season

Old
07-28-2012, 12:16 PM
urn

vCash: 500
I think the main difference is defense. I honestly like our forward group more, and we're not even done adding guys yet. The thing is, our current top 6 is more talented and better than that top 6, but that particular year all of them had career seasons. Nobody could have known that going in. On any given year, I'll definitely take Jordan over Brindy, Semin over Williams, today's Eric over 2005 Eric, Skinner over Whitney, etc. Matt Cullen is a significant upgrade over Welsh, but he could surprise with the good wings he'll have.

The defense is the big thing. Now our defense didn't look all that sexy on paper going into 2005, but neither did our defense last season and it sucked. My hope is that another year of improvement for McBain and Faulk and a better offense, which helps defense a lot, will take some of the pressure off Ward. With our forward group, our defense really only has to be average, maybe not even average, to make the playoffs. To make a deep run, we'd have to count on a lot of our defenders having career seasons. It could happen, but I'd rather make a trade for a solid defenseman at the deadline.

urn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:16 AM
urho

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by urn View Post
The defense is the big thing.
I agree but I'm slightly more optimistic than you are. I think our defense is quite good actually, it's deep down to 6th defender... What we lack is toughness and elite skill (no one is really a true #1).

If Pitkänen stays healthy (that's a BIG if), our defense looks just fine. Hell, even above average. It can't match some of the best defenses in the league but it doesn't have many weak points either.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:49 AM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Posted this with more stuff on the hurricanes official boards.

I feel like JR did a good job of setting us up to have a very similar season to the 05-06 season. New more aggressive style coach gets their first season (05/06=Lavi, 12/13=Muller). We get two upgrades in our top-6 (05/06=Stillman + Whitney, 12/13=Jordan + Semin). We have a young forward with huge upside ready for a breakout (05/06=Eric, 12/13=Skinner). And like I said, we have the means to make in-season trades to improve on the go (05/06=Weight, Recchi; 12/13 Iginla? hehehe Marleau? huhuhu or more like Cleary? just suggestions)

Xylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

The '06 team was perfectly assembled for the post-lockout season. JR played the lockout absolutely flawlessly.

I'm pretty excited to see how our team looks this year, though. There is definitely potential for a deep playoff run. Just gotta hope for no lockout.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
that year we added Dough Weight and Mark Recchi at the deadline, so if we are to repeat the formula and win a cup this year, what to oldies but goodies shall we aquire at this years deadline?
Matt Cullen, for sure.

Jokes aside, if everything is fine at the deadline time, i could see us targeting physical force and good playmaker player. Solid stay-at-home D is possible even much much early in the months.

Last edited by OrioleWay: 07-30-2012 at 05:27 PM.
OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Quote:
that year we added Dough Weight and Mark Recchi at the deadline, so if we are to repeat the formula and win a cup this year, what to oldies but goodies shall we aquire at this years deadline?

My vote is for Shane Doan and Jarome Iginla.

Semin//Eric//Doan
Skinner//Jordan//Iginla
Jokinen//Welsh//Ruutu
Dwyer//Brent//LaRose

Might as well get the parade planning started now
Hard to tell at this point in time, as a lot rides on how certain teams perform and where they are at in the standings around the deadline.

If I suggest a player that may not seem likely to be moved, it's under the idea that their team tanks or plays themselves out of playoff contention (and also assuming we play ourselves into playoff contention).

Jerome Iginla - 35 years old - last year of his contract, cap hit of 7million, NMC (Has suggested he'd accept a trade to a contender). This is if Feaster's seemingly final attempt at a run fails. 11/12 stats: 82gp - 32g-35a-67pts (-10), Career Stats: 1,188 gp - 516g-557a-1,073pts (+53)

Patrick Marleau - 32 years old - Signed through 13/14, cap hit of 6.9million, NMC (Less likely to acquire IMO due to NMC and SJ's ability to make post-season annually. Only way I see Marleau dealt, to anyone not just us, is if SJ really amazingly blows this year or they fall short in the post-season yet again, and GM wants a big shake-up type move). 11/12 stats: 82gp - 30g-34a-64pts (+10), Career Stats: 1,117gp - 387g-443a-830pts (+29)

Daniel Alfredsson - 38 years old - Last year of current contract, cap hit of 4.875 million ($1 million salary this year). If OTT somehow tanks and CAR is looking real good, Alfredsson may look for a last shot at the cup. 11/12 stats: 75gp - 27g-32a-59pts (+16), Career Stats: 1,131gp - 416g-666a-1,082pts (+152)

Jaromir Jagr - 40 years old - Recently signed 1 year deal w/ DAL @ 4.5 million dollars, 4.55 cap hit. If DAL tanks despite their free agents they've brought in, Jagr may look to land on a contending team that won't mind his cap hit or age if he's playing well and is only brought in on rental status. 11/12 stats: 73gp - 19g-35a-
54pts (+5), Career Stats: 1,346gp - 665g-988a-1,653pts (+280)

Ryane Clowe - 29 years old - Last year under contract at 3.625 cap hit (4 million salary this year). Clowe is one of SJ's expendable pieces, and he's a piece Carolina lacks in a big way. Big, Gritty, Tough, and Skilled. He can put up goals and assists, and lay down big hits and grinds well in the corners, is defensively dependable. This is a guy I really want Carolina to pursue. 11/12 stats: 76gp - 17g-28a-45pts (-5), Career Stats: 395gp - 101g-159a-260pts (+17)

Matt Cullen - 35 years old - Last year under contract at 3.5 cap hit/salary. Wild would probably benefit from moving Cullen to gain some breathing room cap-wise. He was a big piece during our successful 05/06 run. 11/12 stats: 73gp - 14g-21a-35pts (-10), Career Stats: 1,031gp - 195g-340a-535pts (-59)

Maxime Talbot - 28 years old - Philly has no reason to be moving Talbot, so nevermind.

Jason Arnott - 37 years old - UFA, yet to sign anywhere. Could get a camp tryout, and I think the 'Canes would benefit from his size, experience, and use him to provide secondary scoring and two-way play. He made 2.5 million in his last contract (1 year deal w/ STL) and was given an NTC. 11/12 stats: 72gp - 17g-17a-34pts (+13), Career Stats: 1,244gp - 417g-521a-938pts (+81)

Sergei Gonchar - 38 years old - Final year under contract at 5.5 cap hit/salary. (Full NMC with one exception: from Jan. 1, 2013 until 2012-13 trade deadline; can supply 10-team trade list). Stick with me here, I know we have more than enough PMDs, and given Gonchar's salary, age, and declined stats it would seem like a dumb move, but he could be part of a potential package, maybe along with Daniel Alfredsson who I've mentioned above. He would be a decent plug for a potential dman going the other way for the remainder of a season and still quarterbacks powerplays successfully. Might help negotiations for Alfie? 11/12 stats: 74gp - 5g-32a-37pts (-4), Career Stats: 1,132gp - 214g-534a-748pts (+35)

Patrik Elias - 36 years old - Final year under contract with a 6 million dollar cap hit and 5 million dollar salary, NMC (hard to see Elias waiving it to leave NJ, unless NJ asks it of him, which is also hard to see. But I list him here because he would be an ideal mid-season/deadline player assuming his pricetag isn't ludicrous). 11/12 stats: 81gp - 26g-52a-78pts (-8), Career Stats: 1,042gp - 361g-533a-894pts (+186)

Old
07-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

I also want to mention David Clarkson, last year under contract at 2,666,667 cap hit and 3mill salary. 28 years old. 11/12 stats: 80gp - 30g-16a-46pts. 6'1'' 200 lbs right shot. Would be nice on our third line?

Old
07-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I love David Clarkson but I don't see why the Devils would part with him.

07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

I know, I hate looking around the league at players who are about to finish out their contracts, then hoping all season long there isn't extensions, then praying they don't resign before July 1st. Every time, no one becomes a FA. Or they get offered ******** contracts that would make them ******** in not signing it.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:39 AM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Matt Cullen, for sure.

Jokes aside, if everything is fine at the deadline time, i could see us targeting physical force and good playmaker player. Solid stay-at-home D is possible even much much early in the months.
If we're serious about making a deep run, we need gritty players who can kill penalties, and can hit hard.

Guys like John Erskine, Eric Nystrom and Douglas Murray could probably be had for fairly cheap.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:46 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
If we're serious about making a deep run, we need gritty players who can kill penalties, and can hit hard
Boyd Gordon for Brent's replacement. Cullen/ Fisher for third line center. Tony Lydman is exceptional stay-at-home dman with good expierence. Cleary and Zubrus is exactly what we needs even now on bottom six. Keep eye on Streit, Alfredsson, Saku and Morrow if we are in good position to make some noise. There are some good options but most of the teams aren't going to sell (Pens, Flyers, Bruins, Sharks).

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:03 AM
La Vieille Garde
Rookie User

No parade just yet, the Rangers fans are probably proclaiming (yet again) that they will have little opposition on their way to hoisting the Cup this season....

La Vieille Garde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:36 AM
AD Skinner

If Nashville stumbles big-time (and I get the feeling they might) I could see them trying to move Mike Fisher. I'd be all over that if I were Rutherford- didn't he make a big offer to him before he signed his most recent deal with the Predators?

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Babchuk Crunch View Post
If Nashville stumbles big-time (and I get the feeling they might) I could see them trying to move Mike Fisher. I'd be all over that if I were Rutherford- didn't he make a big offer to him before he signed his most recent deal with the Predators?
Big trade offer to Ottawa. It was believed to include Boychuk and our first that year.

Ended up being Ryan Murphy. Thought that was the Paradis draft but I was WAY off.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Big trade offer to Ottawa. It was believed to include Boychuk and our first that year
Did you edit that? Cause i was going to say, Fisher left Ottawa in mid 2011...Paradis drafted way before that wasn't he?

EDIT - ahh there it is. Literally you edited between clicks.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vieille Garde View Post
No parade just yet, the Rangers fans are probably proclaiming (yet again) that they will have little opposition on their way to hoisting the Cup this season....
In fairness, they essentially replaced Dubinsky and Anisimov with Nash and Kreider this year. Still have a top 3 goalie, a young defense that'll be better this year, and now another star at winger. Richards and Gaborik are far and away the two best players Nash has ever played with.

I wouldn't say they've got NO competition, because I think counting out Pittsburgh in ANY year is idiotic, and Philly's getting into that Pittsburgh zone as well. But unless something drastically changes, I don't really foresee any team besides those three making the Finals, and IMO the Rangers are atop that list right now.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Clowe would be a great pick up, and maybe Cullen if Welsh can't take the 3C. Maybe get a fighter like MacIntyre steal him when he gets sent down.

Clowe / S12 / Semin
Skinner / S11 / Ruutu
Jussi / Cullen / Tlusty
Nodl / Brent / LaRose
Welsh / MacIntyre

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:25 AM
TheBigKahuna

You're not going to pry Cullen away from Minnesota.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
You're not going to pry Cullen away from Minnesota.
Agreed. I don't see any reason Minnesota needs to make a move for cap relief ($1.3M in cap space right now), or any reason Cullen would want out right now. If the cap drops without a drop in player salaries, odds are there would be buyouts allowed.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't trade away anything significant just to add someone older or someone short term (ie...Cullen, Clowe) or even go out right now and sign someone stop-gap (Arnott). I want this team to make the playoffs, but I also want them set up to be a consistent playoff team and a legit contender a couple years from now. Unless you spend to the cap or there is some unique event (like after the 04/05 lockout), it doesn't make sense to try and build a cup contender in 1 year. If we can add some defensive depth without giving up much, then fine, but otherwise, I'm fine with standing pat.

If there are some holes on offense, then let our new guys (Welsh, Nash, Bowman, Dalpe, Boychuk, etc..) fight it out for a spot or two (or more if there are injuries). Next year, there are a lot of guys that are free agents on the team and a chance to tweak the line-up even more. If at the deadline, the team looks legit, then try and add a piece or two then.

I'm fine going with:

Jokinen-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu
Tlusty-Welsh/Dalpe/Nash - LaRose
Nodl-Brent-Dwyer

If 3C becomes and issue, slide Tlusty up to the top line and let Jokinen play the 3C role which he has done before.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:50 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Did you edit that? Cause i was going to say, Fisher left Ottawa in mid 2011...Paradis drafted way before that wasn't he?

EDIT - ahh there it is. Literally you edited between clicks.
My ninja edit skills are unrivaled.

That and that trade just seems like so much longer ago then it actually was.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Discipline Daddy
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUB

Quote:
I'm fine going with:

Jokinen-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu
Nodl-Brent-Dwyer

If 3C becomes and issue, slide Tlusty up to the top line and let Jokinen play the 3C role which he has done before.
Spot on. This looks to be a solid forward corps, and with Jokinen and Ruutu able to play center in a pinch I'm not worried about the 3C spot. I'm figuring our top two lines are each going to get 17-20 minutes a night barring PP/PK time and our bottom 6 will see 7-15 minutes a night.

Discipline Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline Daddy View Post
Spot on. This looks to be a solid forward corps, and with Jokinen and Ruutu able to play center in a pinch I'm not worried about the 3C spot. I'm figuring our top two lines are each going to get 17-20 minutes a night barring PP/PK time and our bottom 6 will see 7-15 minutes a night.
If the top 2 can manage 20 each a night, that's 2/3rds of the game. Which would be ideal for our group.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Yeah this is a good insurance policy. I agree with you, don't want to see any more of the future mortgaged for some short-term rental. Maybe if someone like Dougie Weight in 2005 is out there...maybe.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't trade away anything significant just to add someone older or someone short term (ie...Cullen, Clowe) or even go out right now and sign someone stop-gap (Arnott). I want this team to make the playoffs, but I also want them set up to be a consistent playoff team and a legit contender a couple years from now. Unless you spend to the cap or there is some unique event (like after the 04/05 lockout), it doesn't make sense to try and build a cup contender in 1 year. If we can add some defensive depth without giving up much, then fine, but otherwise, I'm fine with standing pat.

If there are some holes on offense, then let our new guys (Welsh, Nash, Bowman, Dalpe, Boychuk, etc..) fight it out for a spot or two (or more if there are injuries). Next year, there are a lot of guys that are free agents on the team and a chance to tweak the line-up even more. If at the deadline, the team looks legit, then try and add a piece or two then.

I'm fine going with:

Jokinen-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu
Nodl-Brent-Dwyer

I'd still go out and get Clowe. He'd be perfect for Muller's style. Perfect. PERFECT. Seriously. We'd resign him.