HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to improve stick handling

Old
07-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
How to improve stick handling

How do people get so good at stick handling? Sometimes I'm just amazed but other guys on the ice. I'm sure they have played since they were little but given how often I play, I get rather frustrated with my poor play with the puck. I can (mostly) skate with the best of them but too often fumble with the puck.

I have a green biscuit and an orange street hockey ball and practice in the basement. I've taken so many classes that they have become too remedial/repetitive/slow paced. But there are no "stick times" nearby. Winter time can offer some outdoor rink time which I hope to take advantage of.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to really improve one's stick handling?

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
SCBruCrew4

Keep doing what your doing lol. I'm not that great at stickhandling either, but going outside with my son and practicing with our streethockey puck (which slides nicely) for an hour every couple days, I've noticed a vast improvement in my stick handling skills and how comfortable I feel with the current stick I use.

Stick blade choice may come into effect here too, jsut something else to think about. If you have a flatter blade you have more flat space to play with the puck and you have a better backhand as well, but the puck may tend to slip off the heel/toe more often since it isn't being cradled as much. Just another thing to think about.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Keep doing what your doing lol. I'm not that great at stickhandling either, but going outside with my son and practicing with our streethockey puck (which slides nicely) for an hour every couple days, I've noticed a vast improvement in my stick handling skills and how comfortable I feel with the current stick I use.

Stick blade choice may come into effect here too, jsut something else to think about. If you have a flatter blade you have more flat space to play with the puck and you have a better backhand as well, but the puck may tend to slip off the heel/toe more often since it isn't being cradled as much. Just another thing to think about.
You might have a point there. I have a pretty flat blade. Something to think about the next time I buy a stick.

Old
07-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I bought several cheap sticks with different curves to try out. I've used a closed faced, toe curve, a mid-curve open/closed face, and I've placed an order for a open heel curve which hasn't arrived yet.

My suggestion is, if you have the money, buy a few sticks. Set up a puck handling board somewhere in your house and keep practicing. You'll find out your own preference and tendencies the more you practice.

Some people like to pull the puck in using back hands, some prefer using toe drags, etc.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Stickchecked

Puck handling board? Can you give an example?

Old
07-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Puck handling board? Can you give an example?
hockeyshot.com sells them.

Or if you're willing to spend the time and effort, you can drive down to Home Depot (or something similar) and buy a couple of 2 by 4 wood boards (smooth surface) and a bottle of silicone spray (lube) and make your own.

I did the latter and it only costs about $20 for me. I only bought a single 2 by 4.

Look around this forum or Youtube, there's a few instructional posts/videos lying around somewhere.

Old
07-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Shockley
FloridaPanthersBlog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
hockeyshot.com sells them.

Or if you're willing to spend the time and effort, you can drive down to Home Depot (or something similar) and buy a couple of 2 by 4 wood boards (smooth surface) and a bottle of silicone spray (lube) and make your own.

I did the latter and it only costs about $20 for me. I only bought a single 2 by 4.

Look around this forum or Youtube, there's a few instructional posts/videos lying around somewhere.
I went to home dept and bought a whiteboard for 6 bucks. add furniture polish, and its like the pucks on ice!

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulikov Is King View Post
I went to home dept and bought a whiteboard for 6 bucks. add furniture polish, and its like the pucks on ice!
Yep. The furniture polish was the expensive bit. $10-$12.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:08 PM
ATLhockey437

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9nVXbdOIpk

Do this at least 20-30 min a day. Also get in a stance as if u were on a train track and just practice stickhandling between while keeping your head up so you can get a feel for the puck/ball without having your eyes glued to the ground.

If you have a dog, stick handle with a tennis ball and practice dangling the ball/puck through his legs, hold it out wide, let him trot after it and toe drag it away etc.

Doing these excercises helped me out tremendously. Tape 2 pucks near the neck at the bottom of your stick so its weighted down.

also watch these videos
part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DycV8UE5Ua0

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDpIENthX8A

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
How do people get so good at stick handling? Sometimes I'm just amazed but other guys on the ice. I'm sure they have played since they were little but given how often I play, I get rather frustrated with my poor play with the puck. I can (mostly) skate with the best of them but too often fumble with the puck.

I have a green biscuit and an orange street hockey ball and practice in the basement. I've taken so many classes that they have become too remedial/repetitive/slow paced. But there are no "stick times" nearby. Winter time can offer some outdoor rink time which I hope to take advantage of.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on how to really improve one's stick handling?
Off ice use a golf ball.

Also, you can buy blinders (usually for soccer players) that prevent you from looking down. 90% of what makes a great stickhandler is being able to keep their eyes up while they have the puck on their stick.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:22 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Yep. The furniture polish was the expensive bit. $10-$12.
Next time get Silicone Lube. Roughly $4 for a can that'll last you a long while.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Flygirl16

I get a ball weighted the same as a puck, set up some cones and just stick handle around them for about half an hour every day, it sounds really repetitive but it really helps with the muscle memory and makes handling pretty much automatic.
My friend who plays on the national team for street hockey got me started doing it and it really helped.

Flygirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
I've got a green buscuit, orange hockey ball, normal pucks & a stickhandling ball, but prefer a golf ball on my basement floor (so much better for hand speed). I wrapped a few strips of black hockey tape around it to take away some of the bounce. I move it around my body, toe drag, bounce it off the wall, knock it out of the air etc. After you master the golf ball, start weighting the stick. Do the 'stickhandling beyond belief' type drills & you'll be 'the guy with the moves' in no time.

I find that working with a puck on ice is heavier, but feels like it's in slow motion vs. the golf ball @ home. Also find that I'm intercepting a lot more passes out of the air, which is a nice skill when forechecking.

Last edited by sanityplease: 07-30-2012 at 09:43 AM.
sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
noobman

I have the green biscuit, a smartball, and a golf ball that I interchange. At least once a week in the summer I like to get out in the garage and do 30 mins to an hour of stickhandling. I'd like to get out more, but it's shared space and I don't always have access to it.

I have a pre-defined set of drills I like to do, then I take some time to "freestyle". To keep myself entertained I usually use the time to catch up on podcasts.

Drills include the following:

- Standard left-right stickhandling w/ wide range of motion
- Wrist isolation stickhandling (short range of motion)
- "Tight turn" puck control (singe and double-handed)
- Figure 8 turning (basically me jogging in tight figure 8s while controlling the puck)
- Stationary figure 8s (putting down two cinder blocks and moving the puck around them in a figure 8)
- Forehand toe drags
- Backhand toe drags
- 1 on 1s against the chair with stick (move left, puck right; move left, puck betw/ legs; move left, puck left; repeat moving right)
- Fakes (head fake, leg kick, shoulder drop, wrist flick, etc etc)

I prefer the green biscuit for most of these because it slides like a regular puck. The smartball is great for simulating a puck's weight, but it still rolls and is thus hard to use for certain things. The golf ball is fantastic for quick wrist movement.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
FlyingEagle

Speaking of custom shooting pads for stickhandling, is there any way to make some cheap from material which you can get really anywhere? I have troubles with finding that boards in which you are talking about in local shops and shipping from US/Canada would be very expensive for me. I've found skill pads/shooting pads here but they are only in few shops and price is about 121 usd. Don't know if I have to create new thread for this so sorry if this is against rules or something.

FlyingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Hugh Madbrough

juggle

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Love that user name.

I'm excited that I'm moving to a new place with a big basement and can bring my shooting board with me. Might have to get a little net or tarp to shoot at.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
tfong

The stick handling can be practiced and taught, unfortunately if it's about creativity and flair and pulling off unexpected dekes, some of that is all natural. Some guys have it and some just don't. But basics of catching, shielding and moving can be practiced. A lot is confidence too, of you think you will fumble and over think it, chances are you will lose it too.

A good way to improve confidence is find a lower level league and do moves you wouldn't do otherwise to gain confidence and have the experience of trying moves. Then when it is sufficient you can bring it up to the normal level you play at, but don't be afraid of trying it all out at a lower level.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

i know that the top hand does all the work, and when i learned that it helped my game a lot. guess u can buy a special training ball or use golf balls in the garage to practice stickhandleing around pucks

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingEagle View Post
Speaking of custom shooting pads for stickhandling, is there any way to make some cheap from material which you can get really anywhere? I have troubles with finding that boards in which you are talking about in local shops and shipping from US/Canada would be very expensive for me. I've found skill pads/shooting pads here but they are only in few shops and price is about 121 usd. Don't know if I have to create new thread for this so sorry if this is against rules or something.
What kind of shops do you guys have? Wooden/plastic boards should both be fine.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:11 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
A good way to improve confidence is find a lower level league and do moves you wouldn't do otherwise to gain confidence and have the experience of trying moves. Then when it is sufficient you can bring it up to the normal level you play at, but don't be afraid of trying it all out at a lower level.
Yea, I'm a big believer of playing both above your level and below it for exactly the reason you point out. The challenge is to find a game below my level.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, looks like I just need to put a lot more time into practicing and adding some more specific drills to it.

Any good books or videos out there for drills? I heard somewhere about a Kovalev puckhandling video? Anyone see it?

Old
07-31-2012, 08:28 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 3322
Use your puck or ball and stick handle while watching tv.

Seriously just stand in front of the tv and stickhandle for as long as you want just DON'T LOOK DOWN. When you can stickhandle with no problems without looking at the puck stickhandle to the sides, etc.

Make sure you change the motions too so stickhandle with big wide motions like really stickhandle the puck out wide(3feet or so) and then change it so you're stickhandling quite tight(about a foot)

This should really help, once you can do it standing still then try it at the start of an ice session for a bit, just grab a puck and start skating around stickhandling.

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How did I forget...

Check the big sticky at top with advice threads, including this one.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How did I forget...

Check the big sticky at top with advice threads, including this one.
Just read through it, thanks.

I'm thinking that 8x4 stick handling board would be ideal. I have a big basement with a TV where I'll ride stationary in the winter while watching hockey. But it's carpeted so not ideal for stick handling. I end up stickhandling in the storage room we have, but it's small.

Anyone actually own a stick handling board?

Old
07-31-2012, 06:25 PM
ChrisNI

vCash: 3322
Quote:
Just read through it, thanks.

I'm thinking that 8x4 stick handling board would be ideal. I have a big basement with a TV where I'll ride stationary in the winter while watching hockey. But it's carpeted so not ideal for stick handling. I end up stickhandling in the storage room we have, but it's small.

Anyone actually own a stick handling board?
Use a golf ball or one of those stickhandling balls you can get. It's not perfect but it gets you doing the motions and it all helps.

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote