HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo XXVI - Love me Lu (Admin Warning: Post 178)

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 07:17 AM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Lol...if that were reality, the TO gm keeping his job would be the least of his worries....keeping his life might be more important....(again,lol)
Hfboards guys going to take his life? I bet the guys in suits who actually buy tickets wouldn't care how many picks and prospects go in a trade for Lu.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Hfboards guys going to take his life? I bet the guys in suits who actually buy tickets wouldn't care how many picks and prospects go in a trade for Lu.
I thought maybe the 2 lol's would give away the fact i was JOKING!!! In all seriousness though, even you can't believe Luongo would return a haul like that......can you?

Old
07-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I thought maybe the 2 lol's would give away the fact i was JOKING!!! In all seriousness though, even you can't believe Luongo would return a haul like that......can you?
I do believe there is a fair chance that Luongo gets a much better return than what HF thinks(something like Bolland/Bozak, Saad/Kadri, 1st). That's not to say I think it's likely, or that I wouldn't settle for less though.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I do believe there is a fair chance that Luongo gets a much better return than what HF thinks(something like Bolland/Bozak, Saad/Kadri, 1st). That's not to say I think it's likely, or that I wouldn't settle for less though.
2 things,1 if you mean Bozak+Kadri+a 1st, i don't think so. 2,i could see Bozak+Colborne/Ashton+2nd, but that would be about it.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
As a Panther fan, it is a hard truth but a truth nonetheless-- we are a marginal playoff team with or without Luongo. We are realistically 3 seasons away from being serious contenders assuming our rebuild goes as planned. At which point, Luongo will be 37 and presumably in decline.

For us, Roberto is not the missing piece as opposed say to the Blackhawks. Consequently, we are not willing to trade top prospects or draft choices or otherwise mortgage our future. If the Nucks need to dump him to an out-of-conference team then we are interested, but not otherwise.

This is just a reflection of relative value. Although Roberto may be a star today, given his age and contract his relative value to the Panthers is not that great.
You may be willing to wait around for 3 years but your owner isn't going to be happy if the team misses the playoffs for the next 3 seasons. Making the playoffs may not be that big a deal to you but it definitely is to him. It would also help the Panthers to build on any momentum they created in the market and bring back the fans that jumped on the wagon during their run. A GM has a lot more to think about then building a team for 3 years down the line.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:47 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Of course you believe that. You're a Canucks fans. Every Canucks fan thinks they're going to "win" the eventual Luongo deal.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Of course you believe that. You're a Canucks fans. Every Canucks fan thinks they're going to "win" the eventual Luongo deal.
So?

But as I said, I'd be willing to settle for less(but not from Chicago).

Old
07-31-2012, 09:11 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
So?

But as I said, I'd be willing to settle for less(but not from Chicago).
And what would you be willing to "settle for" from the Panthers?

Old
07-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Marcel Goc and Alex Petrovic.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Assuming good roster players(Versteeg) are off limits, I would want one of Howden or Petrovic and a 1st, with a cap dump in Theodore/Upshall/whoever coming back. I know Florida won't like that, but srring as Toronto fans(some) were okay with Kadri, 1st(protected), Lombardi, Florida would have to put up a similar offer.

Although I agree there's no reason why they should, but I wouldn't trade Luongo for less. I'd rather just keep him.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Oh, look. Another Canucks fan telling other fanbases how flawed their respective goaltending situations, as if he/she follows those teams closer than those teams' own fans do.

Rask only got 1 year because he was an RFA. Boston is tight against the cap. Can't extend him for more dollars/term until Thomas is off the books. And Rask isn't going anywhere.

Washington has been grooming Holtby for a while. Just knocked out Boston and stretched the Rangers to 7. He, too, is going nowhere.

As for Ottawa: Lehner. Bishop. Anderson. Whoops, wrong again.

He'll land in Florida. MG is just waiting until the end of the pre-season to see if DT is less comfortable with his goaltendig than he is now and, thus, gives into Gillis' demands.

Plus, Markstrom (the only organizational threat) won't be a 60+ game starter for at least 3 years, IMO. Needs to destroy the AHL next season, proving his knees are good, serve as an NHL backup the following season and then, maybe, be worked into a 1A/1B split with Luongo when Jacob's about 25 y/o. Earliest.

Most goalies typically don't become fulltime NHL starters until they're in their mid-to-late twenties:

Rask, 25, is only the starter because of Thomas' surprising upcoming season-long hiatus.

Schneider, 26, is only starting because Vancouver management has seemingly lost patience with Luongo.

Ryan Miller didn't start 60+ games until he was 26, like Schneids.

Hiller didn't get 58 starts until he was well past the age of 27, due in large part to Giguere falling off.

Crawford didn't become Chicago's starter until he was just over two months away from his 26th birthday.

Bryzgalov didn't become a No. 1until well past the age of 27, and only because Burke waived the disgruntled Russian.

Howard was well over 25 when he finally pushed Osgood out of the way.

Smith waited until well over his 29th birthday to become a No. 1, and that's only because Phoenix gave him a new lease on life.

Niemi didn't become a No. 1 until joining the Sharks, at age 27.

Kiprusoff didn't see a No. 1 workload until his first full season in Calgary, at just days away from his 29th birthday.

Rinne wasn't Nashville's undisputed No. 1 until just short of his 27th birthday.

Anderson wasn't given a chance as a No. 1 until Colorado gave the then-28-year-old a shot.

The exceptions are:

Brodeur (22 y/o; HHOFer)

Lehtonen (22 y/o; No. 2 pick overall, which, at the time, made him the 2nd highest drafted goalie ever)

Fleury (21 y/o; No. 1 pick overall; 2nd goalie ever taken with the opening selection)

Quick (Smythe, Stanley Cup, 2nd Team All-Star)

Ward (22 y/o; Smythe, Stanley Cup)

Lundqvist (23 y/o; Olympic Gold, Vezina, 1st Team All Star)

Price (23 y/o; only b/c Gainey jettisoned Halak while the Czech's value was sky high)

Pavelec (23 y/o; with Lehtonen gone, the Thrashers, in their final year in Atlanta, had no one else to turn to, seeing as C.Mason couldn't stop a beachball that season)

This is the only area I don't agree with Panthes fan on. Markstrom is going to wait several years, at the earliest, for his turn at No. 1, and since Tallon seems to be the patient type with his youngsters, I'm guessing his interest in Luongo means his view on Markstrom is probably similar to mine.
The only thing I don't agree on about this post is I'm not sure Gillis caves at the start of the season and moves Luongo for less, the rest is spot on. We have the cap space to keep Lu on the roster, and we don't have any other assets available to spend that cap space on. Unless we get Doan, or a team ups their offer, I think Lu will spend a portion of the season in Vancouver.

I agree fully regarding Markstrom, people need to realize this guy is only 20 years old. He hasn't even played a single FULL AHL season yet, there is absolutely no need to rush such a talented prospect. I know many wouldn't agree, but I could see Markstrom spending 2 more seasons in the AHL, 2 seasons as Luongo's back-up, and then taking the starting job 5 seasons from now at the age of 25; as mentioned above, that's a fairly typical age. This is why trading for Luongo is still a great benefit, he's proven to be an excellent mentor to our young goalie in Vancouver. You get 5 years of full value out of the guy, by that time he'll be 38 and very likely 1 year away from retirement. People need to stop thinking that acquiring Luongo means they're blocking Markstrom's development, they're actually helping it.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
What about Goc, Petrovic, and Theodore for Luongo? I haven't been following offers too closely, but if it came to it I'd accept that.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:43 AM
HogTown06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Florida takes the contract off of VAN.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

These Luongo threads are like a gory car accident, you know they are not going to be pleasant but you can't resist to take a peek. Luongo better be traded soon before I get ulcers.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
What about Goc, Petrovic, and Theodore for Luongo? I haven't been following offers too closely, but if it came to it I'd accept that.
One of the few fair trades offered here from a panther prosepective.. I think I would do it, tho we are short on centers.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
One of the few fair trades offered here from a panther prosepective.. I think I would do it, tho we are short on centers.
Not enough salary going to Van. Realistically there need to be a salary dump.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:51 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Good logic yourself

As an Oiler fan this works well . Shawn Horcoff is a proven 3 line centre who can play the Pk , PP and against other teams top lines . We should be able to get a very good prospect .

Serious , Like Horcoff , Lou contract is a negative . Horcoff over paid and for 3 more season . Lou's Cap hit is good but it runs until the end of time , making it a negative .

I know Canucks fan say he will not play until the end of it , But if he goes back to Florida where he is from , who to say he does not keep playing , as he is not away from his family as much .I think it is much more likely he plays longer if he is back home with his family

Also i know Horcoff is not as good as Lou , not even close. I am trying to make a point sometime a prospect is worth more then a proven NHL player . I would love to have Lou on the Oilers , but would not pay a lot for him . I know other Oilers fan will be up in arms over this , saying he is a choker come play offs , But i would counter we need to get their first and Lou would give us a better chance . All is moot , because he will not coming to Edmonton .
Luongo has a much bigger impact and plays at a much higher level than Horcoff and makes less against the cap.

I love when Oilers fans weigh in, they're just sad that Luongo has beaten their team into the bottom of the league consistently since he arrived in Vancouver.

Oh yeah, If Luongo isn't playing to a high standard in the last 3 or 4 years of his contract and wont retire...send him to the minors...some of you people seem really dense suggesting that Luongo in anyway can force a team to keep him and continue to play him. If they don't like what he's giving them, send him to the minors at 38/39/40 and see how he likes riding the bus in Rochester or San Antonio for a living.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
Not enough salary going to Van. Realistically there need to be a salary dump.
Why? You guys are taking on an extra 2.13mil in cap space, but acquiring a high calibur player in the process. As per CapGeek, it seems as if you guys could easily make that work.

Keeping in mind that Vancouver won't be taking on any useless players, what else would it have to be then? Give me a list of a few players you'd consider as cap dumps. Keep in mind though, all of Petrovic, Goc, and Theodore would have to be included for the deal to make sense to us.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

I'm afraid I don't know too much about Goc. Just looking at his stats he seems like a soft 2-3 line tweener. Why do we want him?

Old
07-31-2012, 10:13 AM
ShootIt

No to Goc and Petrovic.

Can't move Goc unless we get another center of his ability and Tallon considers Petrovic one of our top prospects.

Rather substitue Robak instead of Petrovic.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
No to Goc and Petrovic.

Can't move Goc unless we get another center of his ability and Tallon considers Petrovic one of our top prospects.

Rather substitue Robak instead of Petrovic.
Versteeg + Robak/1st.

Problems solved.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
lawrence

Tallon is also not willing to give up Howden. He's doing what Brian Burke is doing which is offering next to nothing. At this point, it's best for Gillis to hang to him. I rather wait for the right deal then make a stupid trade. So what if we have 9 million dollars in goalies. I rather that, then having 3 ex leafs Scrubs and a 2nd round pick. Worth less. A trade cannot be undone. No trade better then bad trade.

NO matter what happens, Luongo will be moved. MIke Gillis has a patient of a saint. He will do whats best. As for Cancuks fans and non Canuck fans, all of your proposals are stupid. Leafs fans have the worst.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Tallon is also not willing to give up Howden. He's doing what Brian Burke is doing which is offering next to nothing. At this point, it's best for Gillis to hang to him. I rather wait for the right deal then make a stupid trade. So what if we have 9 million dollars in goalies. I rather that, then having 3 ex leafs Scrubs and a 2nd round pick. Worth less. A trade cannot be undone. No trade better then bad trade.

NO matter what happens, Luongo will be moved. MIke Gillis has a patient of a saint. He will do whats best. As for Cancuks fans and non Canuck fans, all of your proposals are stupid. Leafs fans have the worst.
How opened minded you are.

In Talon I trust so off we go.

Would love to watch 5 mi + sit on your bench for a season, worth buying center ice for.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
KlattNazty

i love that Gillis is smart to let 5m sit in waste, but BB is stupid for not trying to acquire a goalie and his job is immediately on the line lol.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post

Okay, so if every team doesn't up the offer....how is he moved? You can't say "no trade is better than bad trade" followed by "No matter what, Luongo will be moved".

Old
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
i love that Gillis is smart to let 5m sit in waste, but BB is stupid for not trying to acquire a goalie and his job is immediately on the line lol.
I doubt that Burke's job is on the line but you would think that Toronto fans would demand that he at least take some steps to improve the team's biggest weakness last year. I know that if Vancouver had the same level of goaltending as Toronto did that fans would be calling for Gillis' head if he stood pat.

Closed Thread