HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Stan-ding Pat

Old
07-31-2012, 01:35 AM
needle

vCash: 500

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:18 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheEagle View Post
I'm not worried about Toews and the core wasting away and I'm not worried about winning the Cup next year. Unless one of our prospects steps up in a huge way, we won't win it.

If anyone here thinks that we could win the Cup by making a move for a UFA that is available right now, you're insane. The pieces that we need aren't available on the market right now and I'm glad Bowman isn't spending for the sake of spending.

Why not make a trade for the right pieces? No because we'd probably have to over pay massively. Why? Because our prospects values are all so low right now. No one knows what any of these kids can really do in a solid NHL role. This is the year we finally see what we have in the cupboards. I'm sorry to all the fans that want the Cup next year but I'm glad that Stan isn't as short sighted as you are.

If our middle of the road prospects play well during the season and end up creating some value for themselves (like Shaw has done), then why not use them when their value is highest and get someone proven who can fill the holes for this team. Who knows what guys may be available by trade deadline next year?

As for the arguments against the D. I understand we lacked in overall team defense last year, I watched the games like all of you did. I believe a lot of our lowly rankings in GA comes from goaltending. And you know who knows this better than anyone? Corey Crawford. He knows last year was a sh*tter, you don't think he wants to rebound as well? And can it really get much worse than our goaltending was last season? If he plays average, the Hawks are a great team. Hell, they were first place for a chunk of last season. If he plays average, this team competes at a very high level.

Can the PP get worse? Probably not. We'll be better off. Can the team D get much worse? Probably not. I'm sure Q and the staff realize that we lacked an overall sense of responsibility towards our own zone. Maybe it is just because I am optimistic but I really feel that this team is in far better shape than a lot of you can see.

The Cup isn't coming this season, stop complaining about a lack of moves. Let's see what we have in prospects, create some value, and really solidify this team for the future through trades or our available cap space for the next off season.
I really hope you post more here...

well thought out and some good arguments are made

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Aww.. boo woo. Poor Blackhawks nation. We have it so tough.

This post sums up everything wrong with the Chicago Blackhawks' fanbase today. He put forth a "have-hearted offer" to Parise? He offered him more money on a slightly shorter term for a higher AAV. That's not "half-hearted" .

The very thought that this team needs to "overpay" a guy like Doan to get "back on course" is beyond moronic. If Doan wants to sign in Chicago on a semi-sensible deal then great, if not - PASS. Pass, pass, ****ing pass. You don't overpay for a 36-year-old forward.. least not a player that relies heavily on the physical side of the game to make an impact.
Who are you to judge fans as a whole.

I can say the same thing about you, you and others like you, people who I am guessing became fans of the team when Kanes goal went in don't really have any loyalty for this team, you haven't lived and died with them for years and you certainly haven't spend your hard earned money to watch them play, especially when the team was terrible and the owner didn't care about you just or the city. Their success or lack there of is meaningless, sure it's great when they do win but when they lose you don't really care and why should you, your not a true fan.

I love how some of you guys are so happy Bowman tried, it's so cute. Maybe when you high school kids get into the real world you'll find out trying means * without results. Tell your boss when you fail to finish something that you tried but just couldn't do it, see how long you keep your job, especially after more then one incident. He tried, grow up.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
We're not squandering years. The Hawks have to see what they have in the system in order to be able to trade anything. What would you like them to do right now? Who would you throw money at on the UFA market? Who would you trade with and for what? You seem to think Stan has been doing nothing. What would you have him do? Colaiacovo? Huselius? Langkow with a sketchy spine? Hecht? 37 year old Jason Arnott? The nomadic Dominic Moore? The pieces we need aren't there in the UFA market. Trades are frozen right now because the CBA is up in the air. Even so, where would you expect Stan to steal a second line center and a goaltender from? If he overpays for anything, half the board will be crying and demand his resignation. The club is a business and sometimes the market isn't right. This is that year. If Stan reads this at all. Thank you for not going out and making moves for the sake of making moves. I believe in this club, it's drafting and where it has set us up for the future.

Wait until next offseason when Iginla, Backstrom (G), Correy Perry, Getzlaf, Ribiero, Hartnell, Fisher, Roy, and all these other names are up. I understand a large chunk of them may re-sign but it is definitely a better pool than this year.

I'd rather have a full year of Carcillo back, Shaw and the other rookies proving their worth, Crawford playing even remotely average and our PP being half as good as it could be. I don't think we'll win the Cup next year but I'd rather not take an idiotic stab at it that would damage our future by overpaying or over extending contracts. I'll settle for the not so short-sighted plan.
This point sound awfully familiar when did I hear it? That's right all last summer, and of all those huge FA that came out how many where the Hawks able to land?

It's been said 1000 times already, we aren't GMs so we don't know what the Hawks could get, however I am willing to bet 100% using what they have now and not including a core piece they could have improved aspects of this team that they didn't.

It really is a great strategy though, do nothing and just hope. Hope that all these rookies will play out of their mind and contribute in a huge way. Hope that a PP and PK that have nothing changed in regards to coaching or personal will suddenly be great. Hope that a goaltending duo that was 3rd worst in SV% and is the same duo again will suddenly be Lundqvist clones. Hope that the team will suffer no injuries and catch every break imaginable, HOPE! That's the problem we just haven't hoped enough, come on everyone let's start hoping right now and maybe we will have hoped enough for things that we didn't change to have suddenly changed themselves. Don't forget trying either, don't worry about success or results just trying, 2013 Hawks Hope and Trying.

I am starting to see the light, if the Hawks get these miracles of tremendously better play from aspects of the team that haven't changed at all then this team will be great.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:36 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Aww.. boo woo. Poor Blackhawks nation. We have it so tough.

This post sums up everything wrong with the Chicago Blackhawks' fanbase today. He put forth a "have-hearted offer" to Parise? He offered him more money on a slightly shorter term for a higher AAV. That's not "half-hearted" .

The very thought that this team needs to "overpay" a guy like Doan to get "back on course" is beyond moronic. If Doan wants to sign in Chicago on a semi-sensible deal then great, if not - PASS. Pass, pass, ****ing pass. You don't overpay for a 36-year-old forward.. least not a player that relies heavily on the physical side of the game to make an impact.
I’ll say again. A good GM must pick his spots. Any decent FA is going to be sought after and given solid offers. If Stan wants to improve this team NOW, he needs to pay the price and show some flexibility to get er done. There are no bargain basement power forwards in this league. Looks like we’re in for another year of inactivity and cap space going unspent. That is what is “moronic” as is the statement about not needing a physical player. I suppose you chose to ignore how teams dominated Hawks physically last season. Well, you will doing a lot of ignoring this year as well if things remain as they are.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
. This is the year we finally see what we have in the cupboards. I'm sorry to all the fans that want the Cup next year but I'm glad that Stan isn't as short sighted as you are.

3 years after a Cup win and we need to see what we have in the system? Count me out of that methodology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Or we wait for our prospects value to rise and then they fall flat when called up and their value plummets.

Things can get worse, the Hawks weren't dead last in anything and did nothing to improve the areas they where weak at so yes they could be, they likely won't be but they could be.

I like the idea of just squandering years and having a rebuild attitude with a team whose core just won the Cup 2 years ago, I forgot we are the Oilers or the Islanders.
At least some fans appear to actually be in favor of becoming the Oil.

Quote:
We're not squandering years. The Hawks have to see what they have in the system in order to be able to trade anything. What would you like them to do right now? Wait until next offseason when Iginla, Backstrom (G), Correy Perry, Getzlaf, Ribiero, Hartnell, Fisher, Roy, and all these other names are up. I understand a large chunk of them may re-sign but it is definitely a better pool than this year.
Yup, when they all resign or go elsewhere, again, now what?

Quote:
Dear god.. logic, reason, foresight. It's so.. different. Bravo sir.
Yup, let's be patient. Maybe Hossa won't get older, Keith won't get slower as he ages and Sharp's cranky wrist won't get worse with age.

It's less about what to do today as it was the missed opportunities of the past offseasons leading to this offseason.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:17 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
A good GM must pick his spots. Any decent FA is going to be sought after and given solid offers. If Stan wants to improve this team NOW, he needs to pay the price and show some flexibility to get er done.
Isn't that the same flexibility that lead to many of the problems the last two years?

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:33 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Yup, let's be patient. Maybe Hossa won't get older, Keith won't get slower as he ages and Sharp's cranky wrist won't get worse with age.

It's less about what to do today as it was the missed opportunities of the past offseasons leading to this offseason.
Yeah, todays little move is tomorrows big move. As the top guys age, even if prospects come in and do well, we'll definitely need another horse to come in and help with the heavy lifting. That means big money, big cap hit. Seems to me it would be better to get them some cheaper help now rather than run them into the ground on a team that won't win the Cup.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:36 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Isn't that the same flexibility that lead to many of the problems the last two years?
I don’t recall Stan picking up any player that we needed to … oh I get it. You’re referring to Oduya, or was it Frolik, perhaps Morrison. Assuming you were referring to the Oduya trade, I agree it was a dreadful decision (both the trade itself and the subsequent contract). As was the re-signing of Emery after Crawford had such a dismal year (and Q clearly showed that he does not have the confidence in Emery to take his spot). Stan is due to get something right. Overdue in fact.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:50 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
I don’t recall Stan picking up any player that we needed to … oh I get it. You’re referring to Oduya, or was it Frolik, perhaps Morrison. Assuming you were referring to the Oduya trade, I agree it was a dreadful decision (both the trade itself and the subsequent contract). As was the re-signing of Emery after Crawford had such a dismal year (and Q clearly showed that he does not have the confidence in Emery to take his spot). Stan is due to get something right. Overdue in fact.
Campoli was a pretty good move for us.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:01 AM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

Bowman is not much different than any other GM. If the draft picks work out he will be here a while. If they don't he won't. Leddy and Kruger need to take the next step in their development if the team is going to contend for a cup. That's where the depth needs to come from. Free agents would be nice, but that doesn't always bring you championships. Just ask Jim Hendry and the Cubs.

Last edited by SchruteFarms: 07-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.
SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:

I was was referring to overpaying for multiple players that might not even fill a need.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
I was was referring to overpaying for multiple players that might not even fill a need.
I hear you …. and had Stan acquired him, that’s what Parise would have been. Big bucks for a great player that does not plug the gaping holes we have however. Furthermore it leaves no cap space to fill those holes.

Doan isn’t the “sexy” pick of a Parise nor does he have the talent or the youth of a Parise, but he is what we need at the moment and a perfect player to bring in for a few years while the kids develop. This is so blatantly obvious to me. A player like him doesn’t come around every day, and though in his twilight years, I think he has a lot of hockey left in him. But I’m through repeating myself.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:59 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Campoli was a pretty good move for us.
Quite true and I hated that Stan gave him away at the end of the season. Another blunder.
While I'm on the subject: I said at the time that the defense would have trouble after losing Campbell and Campoli in the same off season…. and they did. All because Stan was too stubborn to pay what Campoli was worth. Now we have Oduya at close to double the contract and lost 2 good draft picks in doing so. DOH!

Last edited by BobbyJet: 07-31-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
I hear you …. and had Stan acquired him, that’s what Parise would have been. Big bucks for a great player that does not plug the gaping holes we have however. Furthermore it leaves no cap space to fill those holes.

Doan isn’t the “sexy” pick of a Parise nor does he have the talent or the youth of a Parise, but he is what we need at the moment and a perfect player to bring in for a few years while the kids develop. This is so blatantly obvious to me. A player like him doesn’t come around every day, and though in his twilight years, I think he has a lot of hockey left in him. But I’m through repeating myself.
While I think Parise would have never lived up to his contract, I agree that he was worth overpaying for.

If you're right about Doan having a couple good years left, I agree with that opinion. I just don't trust him leaving his home franchise for the first time coming over and performing like he's expected to in those areas even if his health holds up. I love the idea of a vet like him coming over and helping the kids move along, and I'll agree that I think it's worth overpaying for. I guess on the Doan topic, we agree on what we would want and disagree on whether Doan is likely to deliver. Had he been a player that moved around a few times, I would be more open, and maybe even in favor, of putting a bad contract with too much money and too many years on him.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Quite true and I hated that Stan gave him away at the end of the season. Another blunder.
While I'm on the subject: I said at the time that the defense would have trouble after losing Campbell and Campoli in the same off season…. and they did. All because Stan was too stubborn to pay what Campboli was worth. Now we have Oduya at close to double the contract. DOH!
If Campoli was so good and worth what he was asking for, why was he spending so much time in Montreal's press box this year?

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:08 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
While I'm on the subject: I said at the time that the defense would have trouble after losing Campbell and Campoli in the same off season…. and they did. All because Stan was too stubborn to pay what Campboli was worth. Now we have Oduya at close to double the contract. DOH!
I'm fairly confident Campoli wanted to set up for his next contract. I think he wanted top 4 money for multiple years or top 4 ice time for the season to set up his next payday. I think giving him either would have been foolish at the time, but I liked Campoli quite a bit as a number 5. Had I known what a terrible year Montador would have had (besided health), I would have been more critical of the move at the time. Overall, I say it was the right decision on Campoli, but they (Stan) didn't do anything to take advantage of the good decision.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Who are you to judge fans as a whole.

I can say the same thing about you, you and others like you, people who I am guessing became fans of the team when Kanes goal went in don't really have any loyalty for this team, you haven't lived and died with them for years and you certainly haven't spend your hard earned money to watch them play, especially when the team was terrible and the owner didn't care about you just or the city. Their success or lack there of is meaningless, sure it's great when they do win but when they lose you don't really care and why should you, your not a true fan.

I love how some of you guys are so happy Bowman tried, it's so cute. Maybe when you high school kids get into the real world you'll find out trying means * without results. Tell your boss when you fail to finish something that you tried but just couldn't do it, see how long you keep your job, especially after more then one incident. He tried, grow up.
Keep guessing, I imagine you are probably the one still in highschool judging by your hissy fit here.

We are happy we have a team that contends every year, sorry you don't see that. You aren't the first non-knowledgeable fan to think this.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If Campoli was so good and worth what he was asking for, why was he spending so much time in Montreal's press box this year?
This.

Oduya > Campoli, and it's not close.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
This.

Oduya > Campoli, and it's not close.
Personally, I think Campoli was better for us in 10-11 than Oduya was for us in 11-12.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:01 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Loved Campoli in his brief stint here. Was sure he was going to have a solid year for Montreal. He's Oduya with more heart.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:04 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Loved Campoli in his brief stint here. Was sure he was going to have a solid year for Montreal. He's Oduya with more heart.
agree

Old
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
hockeydoug

I really liked Campoli but I don't think there is too much comparison defensively. I think Oduya is much better on the whole, but I will admit it's more fun to watch Campoli even if it doesn't help anybody win a game.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:25 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
They're the same player, minus Campoli's edge. Smooth skating puck movers prone to brain farts. At least Campoli didn't shy away from hits and would stick up for teammates.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:27 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Agreed. Oduya reminds me of Roger Dorn from Major League.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote