*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
JSavoire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatpat88 View Post
They still lack alot of toughness and I see them tradeing some of the depth on d to get some of the toughness maybe trade grant so he can play with his bro to
Well they did very well with this apparent lack of toughness considering they also had injury woes as well.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I really dont see Trouba coming this year. I also dont see Spott trading for a top 4D if he knew Trouba was coming. So I see it as very unlikely.
I agree, but Sefton and Trouba being here this year was just a "what if" duscussion.

Quote:
So as of right now does our lineup look something like this for the time being.

Puempel - Faksa - Reider
Thomsom -Marcantuoni - Sterk
Ming/Bailey - Bailey/Crescenzi - Pedersen
Schmalz - Ming/Meighan - Llewellyn

Murphy - Iafrate
Fanelli - McEneny
Genovese - Young

Gibson - Franky

???
Right now, yes.

Now, going forward, if Spott wants to go for it this year, he has to upgrade the 2nd line RWer, the 3rd line RWer (Pederson is a LWer), and the spot beside Murphy on the back end.

Your line up would be pretty good but to really contend to win it all, these upgrades need to be done. To fill these three spots, Spott has two OA spots open. If Ming can't fill the RW spot on the second line (I beleve he should at least get a shot) then it'll be 3rd line or the gate for him. He would have to outplay Bailey and not by just a little bit considering the age difference.

I don't think Iafrate or Fanelli can replace Sol or his minutes this year. To move one of them up may weaken that top pairing. A bit of a wild card here will be McEneny. He could "force" Spott to give him 2nd pairing minutes with his play. He is a third year player with a high upside. If he produces like he is supposed to, things will get interesting.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:59 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I agree, but Sefton and Trouba being here this year was just a "what if" duscussion.

Right now, yes.

Now, going forward, if Spott wants to go for it this year, he has to upgrade the 2nd line RWer, the 3rd line RWer (Pederson is a LWer), and the spot beside Murphy on the back end.

Your line up would be pretty good but to really contend to win it all, these upgrades need to be done. To fill these three spots, Spott has two OA spots open. If Ming can't fill the RW spot on the second line (I beleve he should at least get a shot) then it'll be 3rd line or the gate for him. He would have to outplay Bailey and not by just a little bit considering the age difference.

I don't think Iafrate or Fanelli can replace Sol or his minutes this year. To move one of them up may weaken that top pairing. A bit of a wild card here will be McEneny. He could "force" Spott to give him 2nd pairing minutes with his play. He is a third year player with a high upside. If he produces like he is supposed to, things will get interesting.
I agree about our 2nd line RWer. Unless one of Sterk/Ming Pedersen step up for 2nd line duties, we should use one of the OA spots there. I dont see any of them filling it on a permanent basis right now, see them more as fill ins. Brent was underwhelming to date, Sterk and Ming have shown flashes at times but I dont think they can bring it consistantly. I would like to see Ming play a bit more physical style, when he does you notice him on the ice more in a good way. But thats why I see him more on third line duties.

As for our D, I also agree about another partner for Murphy. Another OA spot could be used there with a more stay at home guy. But then that creates a problem with 3 players who (at the moment) deserve 2nd pairing minutes, that being Iafrate/Fanelli/McEneny. Unless Spott evens out the minutes more and gives them all a equal share of the PK/PP icetime, I dont see it working.

I would like to see
1st pairing 25 - 30 minutes
2nd pairing 20 - 25 minutes
3rd pairing 10 - 15 minutes
If you keep the 1st pairing closer to 25 and the 2nd pairing closer to 20 then you can give the developing 3rd pairing 10 to 15 minutes a night. Last year it seemed like Murphy and Sol were on the ice 35 to 40 minutes a night (I havent checked the stats) and it really showed in the London series that they were done.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Tim Wallach

I had a glance at the Rangers' own pre-draft depth chart and I know that they had Sterk at centre and Marcantuoni on wing on their list.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:33 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I had a glance at the Rangers' own pre-draft depth chart and I know that they had Sterk at centre and Marcantuoni on wing on their list.
Interesting, I know Marcantuoni was on wing from time to time but I would have thought they would have him as centre before Sterk. I find them both responsible defensively, Matia has more offense obviously.

Nothing against Sterk but I think I would rather have Crescenzi as the 2nd line centre instead if Matia goes on the wing.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Interesting, I know Marcantuoni was on wing from time to time but I would have thought they would have him as centre before Sterk. I find them both responsible defensively, Matia has more offense obviously.

Nothing against Sterk but I think I would rather have Crescenzi as the 2nd line centre instead if Matia goes on the wing.
Oh for sure. I should note, I just got a peak at their depth chart the day before the OHL draft and they had it by position. They were working on the assumption that Crescenzi won't be back and Murphy will, by the looks of this lineup I saw. And Sterk was clearly listed as the #2 centre on the sheet that day and Matia was on the wing.

Now, they have the option of moving some pieces around on forward, but I do know this jives with what Spott said last season. He felt Sterk is a centre and would be an above average one but that he appreciated him playing "out of position on wing" most of the season due to circumstances.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Phatpat88

Any whispers of trades that may go down on Wednesday

Old
07-30-2012, 10:02 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

One issue solved (from Josh Brown's blog):

Quote:
Winger Brandon Francisco won't be back with the Kitchener Rangers next season.

The Bradford native has asked the team for permission to join the Newmarket Hurricanes on the Tier II loop.
Good luck to him - I'm guessing he saw the writing on the wall. There simply wasn't a place for him to play with all the talented young players pushing him out.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Good luck to him - I'm guessing he saw the writing on the wall. There simply wasn't a place for him to play with all the talented young players pushing him out.
Best of luck to him. He was one of the players I was always routing for to turn it around. It did look like he was not in the future plans. I thought that another OHL team might have taken a chance on him as a reclaimation project, but I guess that roads been travelled.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Best of luck to him. He was one of the players I was always routing for to turn it around. It did look like he was not in the future plans. I thought that another OHL team might have taken a chance on him as a reclaimation project, but I guess that roads been travelled.
One thing I do know is that since the DeBoer/Spott regime took over, the policy has always been to be open with players at the exit meetings. And I'm fairly certain Francisco was amongst a few players who were told in May that they likely weren't in the plans.

There was simply no way you can bring back a soft, unproductive 19 year old. There are already 16-year-olds capable of bringing a lot more to the table. But I suspect he's just the first of a couple who know their days in blue are history.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
BenchedGuy

One other thing of note from Josh Brown's blog that mentioned Francisco was that he was open to a trade, if there was a market. Which I would think that would have been explored before granting permission to skate with New Market.

But another thing mentioned in the blog was that
Quote:
Don't expect to see centre Andrew Crescenzi either.
He still has to perform to move on to the pro ranks but I would think Josh has his ear in the Rangers room.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Phatpat88

Quote:
One other thing of note from Josh Brown's blog that mentioned Francisco was that he was open to a trade, if there was a market. Which I would think that would have been explored before granting permission to skate with New Market.

But another thing mentioned in the blog was that

He still has to perform to move on to the pro ranks but I would think Josh has his ear in the Rangers room.

So that means there is 3 open OA spots and lots of scoring and toughness out there for them to pick up and good luck to Andrew

Old
07-30-2012, 05:22 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
So that means there is 3 open OA spots and lots of scoring and toughness out there for them to pick up and good luck to Andrew

Tyler Randell wasn't in their plans 12 months ago either and he was eventually returned here. AC may start the season at the next level, but it would be a little premature to assume we've seen the last of him in a Ranger uniform.

I wouldn't be selling the farm to acquire the third high end OA and have to let one of them go cheap, as we had too last year with Melchiori, if AC is returned.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Good luck Brandon. Too bad you didn't realize your potential here. I don't want to sound cold, but that's one down and two to go.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Phatpat88

Quote:
Good luck Brandon. Too bad you didn't realize your potential here. I don't want to sound cold, but that's one down and two to go.
Who are the other 2

Old
07-30-2012, 09:53 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Who are the other 2
Lesway and Grant.

Both guys are soft and unproductive, with little no upside. I'd be surprised if they are around on opening night. Unless something miraculous happens, the young signees should be bumping them off the roster.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Phatpat88

Quote:
Lesway and Grant.

Both guys are soft and unproductive, with little no upside. I'd be surprised if they are around on opening night. Unless something miraculous happens, the young signees should be bumping them off the roster.
I would like to trade them away though not just let them walk I'm even open to tradeing sterk

Old
07-31-2012, 02:39 AM
chriryan

someone dont no how reliable this guy is dont know him said kitcheners in on brett ritchie not just peterborough again i find it a stretch to be honest.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
One thing I do know is that since the DeBoer/Spott regime took over, the policy has always been to be open with players at the exit meetings. And I'm fairly certain Francisco was amongst a few players who were told in May that they likely weren't in the plans.

There was simply no way you can bring back a soft, unproductive 19 year old. There are already 16-year-olds capable of bringing a lot more to the table. But I suspect he's just the first of a couple who know their days in blue are history.
Francisco is probably a good example of a kid who should never have played in the league as a 16/17 year old. Too bad given the talent, bet you he wishes he had not have blown off the U of Maine!

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...hockey-wp12851

Old
07-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Francisco is probably a good example of a kid who should never have played in the league as a 16/17 year old. Too bad given the talent, bet you he wishes he had not have blown off the U of Maine!

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...hockey-wp12851
I'm not sure if something changed for him mentally since being a dominant 15-year-old or what, but I have rarely seen such a scared player in the OHL. He'd literally wince before any slight contact. And he'd shield himself as soon as someone was within 5 feet. It was really sad to watch because it showed a mental state that was not conducive to this level of hockey. And that's not something that changes.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:22 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Tyler Randell wasn't in their plans 12 months ago either and he was eventually returned here. AC may start the season at the next level, but it would be a little premature to assume we've seen the last of him in a Ranger uniform.

I wouldn't be selling the farm to acquire the third high end OA and have to let one of them go cheap, as we had too last year with Melchiori, if AC is returned.
Exactly, my thoughts are that he wont be here opening night, he may not be here all season but we still keep an OA spot for him until the trade deadline is how I see it playing out.

So I think he is not in the plans going forward, but I would be surprised if the Rangers didnt hold an OA spot open. I think we only see 2 OA added between now and the trade deadline.

Edit: Adding link to today's Record....Spott's brief comments about not being done and training camp.
http://www.therecord.com/sports/arti...s-with-rangers

Last edited by BenchedGuy: 07-31-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Link to todays newspaper
Old
07-31-2012, 08:25 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
I'm not sure if something changed for him mentally since being a dominant 15-year-old or what, but I have rarely seen such a scared player in the OHL. He'd literally wince before any slight contact. And he'd shield himself as soon as someone was within 5 feet. It was really sad to watch because it showed a mental state that was not conducive to this level of hockey. And that's not something that changes.
That is somewhat why I was hoping the kid could turn it around. Had the talent, was just scared of the game. I thought he might be able to toughen up mentally and play the game, too bad as he could have been very interesting if he had.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

I'm away at the cottage and getting news and an internet connection is spotty at best but I beieve I read last week or on the weekend that the Marlies signed a cpl more forwards. Couple that with mcKegg being with the Marlies icetime may be hard for AC to get.
Plus add in no CBA and I bet AC will be back plus due to no CBA some OA could be had for cheap or for free.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:33 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I would like to trade them away though not just let them walk I'm even open to tradeing sterk

Of the three (Francisco, Lesway and Grant), Francisco probably has the biggest trade value because of his skill. Since he is "open to a trade", but signed to play tier 2, it's obvious that had the Rangers been able to get anything for him, they would have.

With that in mind, I doubt anyone would offer anything for either Lesweay or Grant. Someone may or may not take a chance on them if they are put on waivers. More than likely, they'll go the same route as Francisco.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:37 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I'm away at the cottage and getting news and an internet connection is spotty at best but I beieve I read last week or on the weekend that the Marlies signed a cpl more forwards. Couple that with mcKegg being with the Marlies icetime may be hard for AC to get.
Plus add in no CBA and I bet AC will be back plus due to no CBA some OA could be had for cheap or for free.

I'm guessing that as long as any OA has a possibility of making the next level, or has already signed as an OA, the Rangers would "assume" they won't be in their plans until confirmation that they are returning is received.

I'm thinking AC returns for an OA season and he'll be back a lot quicker than Randell was.

Closed Thread