HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

New Assistant Captain?

Old
07-31-2012, 08:46 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
It really doesn't matter who wears the A. It isn't about talking to the refs. Legwand did a mojority of it after scrums. I said it was a crime forErat not to have it, but anyone from the leadership core-(Weber-C)-Fisher-Erat-Legwand-Gill-Gaustad-Klein could have it and be fine. What is scary is everyone else on this team is so young still. (and i meant to exclude Rinne and more than likely mason from that group as goalies shouldn't be on ice captains.

What would be awesome is Doan gets the other letter though.....

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
jlsg

Technically it is about talking to refs. Not after the little scrums in front of the net, but when a call is made (penalty or goal) and everyone is standing in front of the timekeeper and the refs are in the refs semi circle, only C's and As are allowed to ask the ref for clarification of the call. And they are not allowed in the semi circle, they must stand outside the circle while the officials discuss business.

Rule 6 in NHL rule book.

And I agree Doan would look good with an A on his new gold jersey.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Maybe Legwand just doesn't like having the responsibility of getting clarification from officials.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Technically it is about talking to refs. Not after the little scrums in front of the net, but when a call is made (penalty or goal) and everyone is standing in front of the timekeeper and the refs are in the refs semi circle, only C's and As are allowed to ask the ref for clarification of the call. And they are not allowed in the semi circle, they must stand outside the circle while the officials discuss business.

Rule 6 in NHL rule book.

100%. This is the main job of the captain's and alternates'.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Maybe Legwand just doesn't like having the responsibility of getting clarification from officials.
Or there is miniumum number of teeth requirement.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
100%. This is the main job of the captain's and alternates'.
Thank you! Not being a snob, but "assistant captain" just sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me!

I think Legwand would be a great alternate captain, but from all indications he wants to simply lead by example and not be necessarily responsible for being a leader. He is part of the leadership core though and has been for a few years now.

Erat has always gotten the first call when someone was injured and a letter was open in the past couple of seasons. I think Marty will be wearing the second "A" on his chest when the season starts.

As for the notion that Legwand had "lost" the alternate captaincy earlier, he's never been named a permanent captain of the team. He has been asked to be one though and declined at the time. In recent years he's worn one on a temporary basis when players have been injured, but when they return, they get their permanent letter back and no one "loses" it...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Predarat

The answer to this is so simple and easy that it shouldn't even be a question. One word, three letters. Y-I-P!

That is all.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
The answer to this is so simple and easy that it shouldn't even be a question. One word, three letters. Y-I-P!

That is all.
I thought Yip would get the C.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I thought Yip would get the C.
#yipforhart

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I was always under the impression that the second A was on rotation. No one "lost" it per se, it just went on to the next player.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:50 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post

Rule 6 in NHL rule book.

I understand that, my point was legwand does alot of talking for a guy who doesn't wear a letter. Now, I would assume this has as much to do with his demeanor as he is a guy who isn't a hothead and respectful to officials.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:46 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I understand that, my point was legwand does alot of talking for a guy who doesn't wear a letter. Now, I would assume this has as much to do with his demeanor as he is a guy who isn't a hothead and respectful to officials.
I know you understood that, I was just putting it out there as clarification for those that didn't know the real reason for the C's and A's.

As far as why a player may or may not want to wear a letter, a lot of it depends on what the organization asks of the captain and alternates. Some teams it's used as a reward or recognition for good play. Some teams assume you will be a leader on and off the ice. I've heard of coaches giving the C to a player that seems to have the best interaction with officials, nothing more. I don't know for sure what the Preds staff expects form the captain and alternates, but perhaps that's something Leggy doesn't feel comfortable with, not part of his personality.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I've always wondered why Legwand isn't already a permanent A. The guy is like Mr. Predator.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote