HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)

Old
07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
He fights well in the corner and battles above his weight, gains ground with good understanding from my limited viewings mostly at the World Championships.

The one thing I can say is he better be careful with some of the ways he attacks the net, guys will punish you for some of the stuff he pulls over in Europe in the NHL. Eventually I really believe one of these late bloomers from Europe is going to push through kind of like PA or Marty did from lower levels of hockey. He has NHL speed and hands, it is how he reads the game when it speeds up and if he puts himself in knockout spots that worries me.
That will be one of the most important things in the learning process. It's coaches job to shed those self-destructive moves away.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I hope he fits in and what he has accomplished to date in his league and internationally shouldn't be thrown out. With that said when I watch a lot of his highlights if he thinks that will fly with big physical NHL d-men patrolling the middle he is in for some adjustment period. His speed and shot are NHL caliber, it is how he reads the game that will be telling. He preys upon the time and space he is given, that will not be there to the same degree in the NHL.
I agree. He has some great hands and speed, but there is no way he's cutting to the middle like that on NHL defenders. He'll get annihilated.

Z40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Assuming Brunner makes the Red Wings roster for at least 1 game, will they allow him to wear Holmstrom's #96? I'm also assuming that Holmstrom retires, or signs elsewhere (hopefully not).

They let Salei and White take Cheli's and Maltby's numbers the year after they retired, but Holmstrom was a career Red Wing and huge part of our success, do they treat his number differently?

I doubt he'll want to wear #69.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Assuming Brunner makes the Red Wings roster for at least 1 game, will they allow him to wear Holmstrom's #96? I'm also assuming that Holmstrom retires, or signs elsewhere (hopefully not).

They let Salei and White take Cheli's and Maltby's numbers the year after they retired, but Holmstrom was a career Red Wing and huge part of our success, do they treat his number differently?

I doubt he'll want to wear #69.
I think this is a same situation than Maltby and Ian White was with #18. No reason to save the number anywhere.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Holmstrom didn't even wear #96 his whole career. It'd definitely be weird to see it, but I don't see why not. He can wear any number that's not retired or #5. That will be getting retired.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Holmstrom didn't even wear #96 his whole career. It'd definitely be weird to see it, but I don't see why not. He can wear any number that's not retired or #5. That will be getting retired.
This.

Z40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
What number did he wear before #96? I don't remember him having another number.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
What number did he wear before #96? I don't remember him having another number.
He started with #15.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:31 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

For what it's worth, Brunner is listed on the Red Wings official site roster as number 24.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:37 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuick View Post
For what it's worth, Brunner is listed on the Red Wings official site roster as number 24.
Interesting. I wonder if that changes if Homer retires.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Speaking of numbers, when I checked out Filppula’s player page on the Wings’ website by looking at its roster page, the website reveals some “secrets” for those of you who are interested in buying jerseys:

• Jordin Tootoo will indeed wear #22 and Mikael Samuelsson will wear #37;

• Jonas Gustavsson’s slated to wear his customary #50;

• Damien Brunner’s slated to wear #24;

• And as of yet, Gustav Nyquist, who wore #89 in college, is still slated to wear #14.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...able_options_/

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:27 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
He started with #15.
That's right...

I think Brunnstrom went from 96 to 15 when he came to Detroit, I wonder if it was because of Homer?

I wish Brunner would be wearing #96 this season, because Holmstrom really needs to retire a Red Wing with his dignity in tact. At this point I just associate #24 with defenseman. I guess it's just my number OCD at work.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I associate it with Probert. Chelios will always be #7 to me, regardless of how long he was with us.

07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I associate it with Probert. Chelios will always be #7 to me, regardless of how long he was with us.
Didn't watch much of Probert growing up, I wish I had but I didn't get into hockey until just about the time when Probert left Detroit for Chicago. But yeah, he's definitely THE number 24 in Detroit Red Wings history.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
nikyc

Bump....

So Brunner is currently playing with Zett. in the swiss legue and doing quite well. All that talk about him playing with Zetterberg in the NHL is becoming a reality?????

nikyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:07 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikyc View Post
Bump....

So Brunner is currently playing with Zett. in the swiss legue and doing quite well. All that talk about him playing with Zetterberg in the NHL is becoming a reality?????
Probably didn't need a bump, we do quite a bit of talking about this in our : Red Wings player destinations during the Lockout thread right on this page.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote