HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf's next contract?

View Poll Results: Phaneuf's next contract
3 years @ 6.5M 54 42.86%
5 years @ 4.5M 45 35.71%
3 years @ 4M 7 5.56%
There will be no contract as he will not return tot he Leafs. 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2012, 11:43 PM
GreekLeafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Anyone who thinks Phaneuf is still overpaid doesn't grasp the market value of NHL defensemen in 2012. Ryan Whitney makes $5.5 Million, James Wisniewski makes $7 Million. Atleast do an iota of research before spouting nonsense.

Phaneuf makes what a defenseman 12th in points and tied for 6th in goals should be making. I await your hyperboles.
You make sense. I like it.

People try to tear down Phaneuf, but he performs adequately on the top pairing. The advanced stats show it (too lazy to fact check). Many don't realize how much heavy lifting Phaneuf has to do because the rest of the defense are relatively bad.

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
I'm really not going to bother scanning through even just this thread. People are not so much coming right out and saying "Phaneuf takes no blame!" as much as they're jumping to deflect blame away from him when the issue comes up. It's essentially the same thing. "He's a great defenseman with no support!" has been said a dozen different ways in this thread, one person even defended his captaincy by criticizing the quality of the assistant captains for ****'s sake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Who said this?
You're funny... (at least I hope so)

Quote:
One thing we know, Burke loves Dion. I think some of the anti Dion posters will see his value once our defence gets stronger, and he is not required to play the PP, PK, and a regular shift against the top lines of the league. Also he could use some more leadership assistance, Grabo and Komi are the Assistant A's, enuff said there. Not exactly Bergeron or Recchi types.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:39 AM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Then he make another big move and gets Phaneuf who similar to Kessel have a lot of offensive skills but an equal amount of flaws to his game. Phaneuf is big, strong, shots hard and hits even harder but that´s about that. He have a low hockey IQ that takes him out of position and he have a to big ego to listen and learn from older players. And even more of a problem, in Toronto there really is no older players for him to listen to so the dressing room is his. And players who have something else to say, Schenn, Aulie, are shipped out. And then there is the talk about him being bad for the dressing room in Calgary, is that really the type of player you bring in to change the culture at your own?
What the hell is this?

Schenn was shipped out for half-assing it on the ice. I've never heard anything about Phaneuf being involved in the Aulie trade.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:54 AM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
What the hell is this?

Schenn was shipped out for half-assing it on the ice. I've never heard anything about Phaneuf being involved in the Aulie trade.
Oh their are many credible sources in this thread confirming it

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:01 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Criminal?

Lol, OK skippy.

Yes criminal.....Dion as a captain and comparing him to Messier.......the comparision should be in the same hemisphere and it simply is not.

Leave the name calling out of this as it adds nothing to the discussion.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
You're funny... (at least I hope so)
Where in this quote, does it infer I was defending Dion's captaincy when infact I am pointing out the contrary that he needs help in the leadership dept since he is the only leader on the team. Plus plays a regular shift, PP, PK and every key situation.

If one had half a brain, this statement is more of a critique on the Leafs lack of leadership surrounding Dion that Dion itself.

Nice try, but its not even close. Keep barking up the wrong tree. You are batting .1000

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Anyone who thinks Phaneuf is still overpaid doesn't grasp the market value of NHL defensemen in 2012. Ryan Whitney makes $5.5 Million, James Wisniewski makes $7 Million. Atleast do an iota of research before spouting nonsense.

Phaneuf makes what a defenseman 12th in points and tied for 6th in goals should be making. I await your hyperboles.
Why is everyone looking towards his salary to prove his worth. His contract is what it is. You can argue that he was overpaid a couple of seasons ago when the salary cap was lower. However, the salary cap has gone up so individual salary goes up as well. Furthermore, who cares if he was overpaid by a million. He is still a good defencemen and we DESPERATELY need him. There is no other defensemen on the leafs that can take over his job. Do I think that he is a top knotch number1, no. Is he a capable number 1 who has the potential to get better, yes. The leafs have many problems and holes. Dion Phaneuf is not one of them.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:05 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
ever hear of Jeff Carter or Mike Richards? Pronger had a hand in chasing them out of town, siding with management, instead of supporting his teammates when they didn't participate in the 'dry island'. This is your model captain, one who chases other players out of town?
I think a number of posters bought into the "party boys" attitude Carter and Richards got painted with.

I've never been a huge fan of Pronger, but he's had a lot of fans on this forum. I'm assuming that those same fans haven't changed their minds because the wind changed direction.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Transplanted Caper

The inside the locker room stuff is generally pretty overblown. As long as it doesn't impact things on the ice, it's more gossip than anything else. Get 30 random people together in October and have them spend 6 months together. They won't all be best pals by the end of the year. It's like anywhere else - work, school - you're going to like some people more than others, but you still buckle down and get the work done.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:09 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Why is everyone looking towards his salary to prove his worth. His contract is what it is. You can argue that he was overpaid a couple of seasons ago when the salary cap was lower. However, the salary cap has gone up so individual salary goes up as well. Furthermore, who cares if he was overpaid by a million.

He is still a good defencemen and we DESPERATELY need him. There is no other defensemen on the leafs that can take over his job. Do I think that he is a top knotch number1, no. Is he a capable number 1 who has the potential to get better, yes. The leafs have many problems and holes. Dion Phaneuf is not one of them.
Yes, the Leafs would be worse without him.

Personally, I think he should never have received the C, but there were reasons he was given it, and I doubt it was due to any sort of leadership on the ice.

I think he has the C, for the same reason Wilson didn't want Sundin back. Wilson wanted to own control of the team, and Sundin was too strong in the room. That is no different than when Imlach came back and tore the team apart to wrestle control from Sittler.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Why is everyone looking towards his salary to prove his worth. His contract is what it is. You can argue that he was overpaid a couple of seasons ago when the salary cap was lower. However, the salary cap has gone up so individual salary goes up as well. Furthermore, who cares if he was overpaid by a million. He is still a good defencemen and we DESPERATELY need him. There is no other defensemen on the leafs that can take over his job. Do I think that he is a top knotch number1, no. Is he a capable number 1 who has the potential to get better, yes. The leafs have many problems and holes. Dion Phaneuf is not one of them.
I approve of this post.

Personally I hope Phaneuf is worthy of Shane Weber type contract when his current deal is up.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I approve of this post.

Personally I hope Phaneuf is worthy of Shane Weber type contract when his current deal is up.
I wouldn't mind a 6 year $36 million, with a limited NTC. Reasonable, and makes him moveable if things don't improve.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:24 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I wouldn't mind a 6 year $36 million, with a limited NTC. Reasonable, and makes him moveable if things don't improve.
Seems very reasonable to me.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
diceman934

Quote:
I really believe that there will be a power struggle with Dion and his coach this year. He will not be allowed to act the same way as he has since he arrived here. The lack of leadership that the Leafs have exhibited is a direct result of Dion having the ear of Wilson and Burke and this will change as Carlyle will spell it out for him clearly as well as Carlyles expectations of his captain.

I like the 6 year contract as that is what I see the Leafs giving him but I say it will be closer to 7 million if not slightly more like 44 million or 6 years. The next year will determine if Dion will be a Leaf for years to come.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I really believe that there will be a power struggle with Dion and his coach this year. He will not be allowed to act the same way as he has since he arrived here. The lack of leadership that the Leafs have exhibited is a direct result of Dion having the ear of Wilson and Burke and this will change as Carlyle will spell it out for him clearly as well as Carlyles expectations of his captain.

I like the 6 year contract as that is what I see the Leafs giving him but I say it will be closer to 7 million if not slightly more like 44 million or 6 years. The next year will determine if Dion will be a Leaf for years to come.
I think Carlyle and Phaneuf will be fine. Maybe Phaneuf will be more aggressive in a tighter defensive system.

Phaneuf finished the season as 10th in TOI/G and when Carlyle took over and Phaneuf's average time on the ice per game didn't drop. Carlyle used him in most situations and trusted him in the defensive zone in key situations. We'll see how he splits up the time next season.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:06 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
I think Carlyle and Phaneuf will be fine. Maybe Phaneuf will be more aggressive in a tighter defensive system.

Phaneuf finished the season as 10th in TOI/G and when Carlyle took over and Phaneuf's average time on the ice per game didn't drop. Carlyle used him in most situations and trusted him in the defensive zone in key situations. We'll see how he splits up the time next season.
I agree with this. Going back to Carlyles playing days, He was very much like Phaneuf is today. A hard-hitting, bruising defense-men, with also a good track record in the offensive zone, even won a norris. Carlyle understands Phaneuf's game, and knows how to use a weapon like Phaneuf effectively. I think Phaneuf will play his best all-around hockey under Carlyle.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:24 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I agree with this. Going back to Carlyles playing days, He was very much like Phaneuf is today. A hard-hitting, bruising defense-men, with also a good track record in the offensive zone, even won a norris. Carlyle understands Phaneuf's game, and knows how to use a weapon like Phaneuf effectively. I think Phaneuf will play his best all-around hockey under Carlyle.
good post

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:35 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Where in this quote, does it infer I was defending Dion's captaincy when infact I am pointing out the contrary that he needs help in the leadership dept since he is the only leader on the team. Plus plays a regular shift, PP, PK and every key situation.

If one had half a brain, this statement is more of a critique on the Leafs lack of leadership surrounding Dion that Dion itself.

Nice try, but its not even close. Keep barking up the wrong tree. You are batting .1000
Read the quotes a second or third time.

As you just stated, you pointed out the shortcomings of his assistants.

Then someone referred to the fact that someone else (without naming you) had pointed out these shortcomings.

Your reply: "Who said that?" or something similar.

That tickled my funny bone...

Old
07-31-2012, 01:45 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

I would be ok with Phaneuf getting 5 years @ $6.5 million.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Interactif

Randy Carlyle and Brian Burke's goal is to build a good supporting cast around Dion, not to tear him down or annoint him as a savior. Too many people place unrealistic expectations on Dion here, probably due to his lightening rod personality and or his 6.5M contract.

I don't think he has been nearly as bad as many want to portray it around here. He has been a top 1 pairing D man since he came back from his injury. He's put up very respectable numbers, given us leadership, and has been by far the Leafs best D man. When we get a better supporting cast around him, I suspect he will be seen as invaluable by these same detractors. Again great players like Neidermayer couldn't do it alone either, atleast he had Stevens, Raffie and or Pronger. Dion has Gunnarson, all due respect to Gunnar. He's not Stevens or Pronger.

One of the best coach's in the NHL had this to say about Dion last year at the Worlds.

Quote:
No player has been sent over the boards more by Canadian coach Ken Hitchcock and few, if any, have made a bigger impact through three games here.

Hitchcock believes the 26-year-old Maple Leafs captain is more positionally sound on the ice than he once was.

"He's really composed," said Hitchcock. "He's receiving the rush now, that's the best way I can describe it. When he first came in the league, it was attack the rush, step up - and he created his gaps by that. ... (Now) he's in position to receive the rush, he's in position when the puck turns over to be an outlet.

"His game is mature and it's refined now and he's getting better."
Stong praise from one of the best coach's to ever coach in the NHL.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Thats a very fair contract

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
The inside the locker room stuff is generally pretty overblown. As long as it doesn't impact things on the ice, it's more gossip than anything else. Get 30 random people together in October and have them spend 6 months together. They won't all be best pals by the end of the year. It's like anywhere else - work, school - you're going to like some people more than others, but you still buckle down and get the work done.
Very well said.

But the hope is that they'll be spending almost 9 months together (mid-September till mid-June) and that they'll leave each other on a high note.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Read the quotes a second or third time.

As you just stated, you pointed out the shortcomings of his assistants.

Then someone referred to the fact that someone else (without naming you) had pointed out these shortcomings.

Your reply: "Who said that?" or something similar.

That tickled my funny bone...
Do you have a comprehension problem, you read the quote, and the context that it was meant for, not what you thought you saw. I should know the context. I wrote it.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Griffski

I think it'd be best to trade Phaneuf near the end of his contract. He's a solid D man but he won't be worth the money he wants and he sure as hell shouldn't be the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Gain some assets and let a future homegrown #1 D step into that spot in Morgan Rielly. Not to mention how good Gardiner will be by then.

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Do you have a comprehension problem, you read the quote, and the context that it was meant for, not what you thought you saw. I should know the context. I wrote it.
You could have explained "your" context much better by simply stating "I never meant that"...

What you wrote could logically be understood differently from what you meant.