HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dubnyk signs for 2 years @ 3.5M Cap Hit

Old
07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Lynas12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
Oiler's didn't have alot of option in terms of goaltending, we only have 3.5 million tied up for 2013-2104 season which isn't helluva of alot with Khabulin up after this season.

Dubynk's numbers may not look good but look at the d-men he played infront of.

What's he worth if you think 3.5 Million is too much ? This contract isn't an issue until we're up against the cap and we're far from it. There's currently 14 million left sign to Gagner and other RFA's or and maybe an UFA.
Dubynk's numbers may not look good but look at the d-men he played infront of.

What's he worth if you think 3.5 Million is too much ? This contract isn't an issue until we're up against the cap and we're far from it. There's currently 14 million left sign to Gagner and other RFA's or and maybe an UFA.[/QUOTE]

While I completely agree with your take on the cap hit, I have to point out that when you consider the team he was on the last two years, Dubnyk's numbers are not that bad at all..

2011-2012: GPI: 47 GS: 42 GAA: 2.67 W: 20 L:20 OT: 3 SO: 2 SV %: .914

2010-2011: GPI: GP: 35 GAA: 2.71 W: 12 L: 13 OT: 8 SV%: 916

Now while not being all star numbers, nor has he been incredibly consistant yet, those numbers are quite respectable for a 30th-29th placed teams and are trending in the right direction. Personally I think he's going to do a just fine job on a decent team.

Lynas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Some people are reacting like Dubynk got $6M. A ~500k overpayment isn't going to kill the franchise.
Well we know have Horc, Dubnyk, Bulin, as overpaid. If everyone keeps getting overpaid it will become a problem

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Obvious problem with this statement is that it takes more than just plunking down some cold cash on the position. We're paying this amount for two mediocre goalies neither of which has been anywhere good enough here to be earning this kind of coin.

Khabi was at least paid for the past, and what he did demonstrate. So in some sense that can be considered at least a performance based contract (albeit a predictably bad one) Dubnyk is being paid handsomely on the basis of a non occurrence, something that hasn't happened yet, and a presumption that good results will follow.

We'll see about that. I see this as a Todd Marchant type contract. The one that takes a player that is elevating his game, who then gets overpaid, who then struggles because he feels he has to play to that value.

Its an absolute certainty that fans here will turn on Dubnyk at some point and largely through this contract. When the bad goals continue to occur(as they have throughout Dubnyks career) the boo birds will be out and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with that. It is significant that even in the absence of pressure Dubnyks games feature moments where he gets rattled, loses his confidence, and starts making weird plays. Throw some pressure at this 26yr old and I worry how it turns out.

Good thing its only two years.

That last sentence will be quotable.
Its not often I can say I 100% agree with replacement

Old
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Well we know have Horc, Dubnyk, Bulin, as overpaid. If everyone keeps getting overpaid it will become a problem
and 1 of those contracts is a short term deal... can you guess which one?

As i see it.... who the hell cares, cap ceiling is set at 70M this season, we already knew Dubnyk was going to be our starter this next season, and its 2 years (an extremely short term deal that doesn't handicap this team)

I have yet to see anyone answer why it matters so much that Dubnyk got 1M more than he should have? What else would you have done about our goaltending situation this year?

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Bulin is gone next year, nothing we can do about Horcoff, and Dubnyk has a 2 year window to prove himself. Best case is he plays like he has the potential to and its a pretty damn good contract. Worst case is he stagnates and we end up overpaying him 1-2 million over this contract and then let someone else take over. Point being, in 2 years we will have one bad contract on this team and it will basically be over at that point

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:06 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Its not often I can say I 100% agree with replacement
This is EXACTLY what I was going to post just now (but with correct spelling, punctuation, etc.)...

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:14 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
I have yet to see anyone answer why it matters so much that Dubnyk got 1M more than he should have? What else would you have done about our goaltending situation this year?
Several answers have been posted in repetition. If you wish, pm me your phone number and I can call you (from overseas) to read out to you many posts in this regard. Tambo should play hard, but fair, and if DD can't be signed at a reasonable price, you let him walk and find a stopgap.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
Several answers have been posted in repetition. If you wish, pm me your phone number and I can call you (from overseas) to read out to you many posts in this regard. Tambo should play hard, but fair, and if DD can't be signed at a reasonable price, you let him walk and find a stopgap.
So guess what worked in Dubnyk's favor?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
and 1 of those contracts is a short term deal... can you guess which one?

As i see it.... who the hell cares, cap ceiling is set at 70M this season, we already knew Dubnyk was going to be our starter this next season, and its 2 years (an extremely short term deal that doesn't handicap this team)

Something? Anything?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Jamie

This board loves to hate on their own. If Dubnyk was with another team we'd be admiring that team's ability to sign him to such a reasonable deal that keeps him as an RFA and wished our GM was smart enough to trade valuable assets to acquire him. Dubnyk at $3.5 is worth the chance, as it's low risk and potentially high reward. He's done nothing but steadily improve his entire career and he's someone that was expected to be a longer term prospect. If Dubnyk comes in this year and establishes himself as true #1 goalie that second year is going to be a super deal.

Also, he's been developed through our system - isn't the point to reward those that have improved in the system to show the team's commitment to player development to other youngsters?

Starting goalies are not easy to find - we may have drafted our very own. Let's give the big guy a chance. If we didn't, another team certainly would be happy to.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:48 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This board loves to hate on their own. If Dubnyk was with another team we'd be admiring that team's ability to sign him to such a reasonable deal that keeps him as an RFA and wished our GM was smart enough to trade valuable assets to acquire him. Dubnyk at $3.5 is worth the chance, as it's low risk and potentially high reward. He's done nothing but steadily improve his entire career and he's someone that was expected to be a longer term prospect. If Dubnyk comes in this year and establishes himself as true #1 goalie that second year is going to be a super deal.

Also, he's been developed through our system - isn't the point to reward those that have improved in the system to show the team's commitment to player development to other youngsters?

Starting goalies are not easy to find - we may have drafted our very own. Let's give the big guy a chance. If we didn't, another team certainly would be happy to.
I can't say I agree with all of this, but you make some good points here.

It's kind of like one of those old westerns where an angry mob with torches and pitchforks is stopped by a wise old man who speaks to them, and then quells the crowd. Some of them start to cry, and eventually, they all go back to their homes...

Mind you, I think I recall seeing one movie where the old man had everyone in tears, but then suddenly a young ruffian in the back said "Shaddap old man!" and then everyone snapped out of it and said "Yeah! Shaddap! Shaddap!" and then proceeded to burn down the town hall.

Something like that (iirc).

Old
07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Personally, I think Dubnyk will become the clear number one this season, and also I think that this contract will also create some pressure and healthy competition with Khabi, which can only serve to help this team in the wins column. Khabi does thrive under pressure.

Linback may be a decent comparison in the future, but it's too early to tell, as he has only played 37 NHL games, and Dubnyk is about to take on primary duties. Linback clearly isn't at the same point a Dubnyk, so not really a fair comparison at the moment. Dubnyk has outplayed Khabi in the last two seasons.
Linback has beeb named the number 1 on his new team

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Eytinge

You should post way more often cheesed-off.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:

Starting goalies are easy to find, consistent ones are not.

Dubnyk's had his chances. He's just slightly average at best. He's not going to lead the team to the promised land.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:07 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Starting goalies are easy to find, consistent ones are not.

Dubnyk's had his chances. He's just slightly average at best. He's not going to lead the team to the promised land.
I don't like the contract but this is Dubnyks year IMO.

He has to show that he can play consistently well in meaningful games. The problem really starts if Dubnyk fails because there is nothing in the system NHL ready enough to take over.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:44 AM
harpoon

Quote:
This board loves to hate on their own. If Dubnyk was with another team we'd be admiring that team's ability to sign him to such a reasonable deal that keeps him as an RFA and wished our GM was smart enough to trade valuable assets to acquire him.
Speak for yourself. I wouldn't be thinking or wishing any of that.
I'd be lmao at the suckers that gave a totally unproven tweener $7 million and the starting job.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Seems a bit high, but at least it's only 2 years.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Seems a bit high, but at least it's only 2 years.
Two years tells you everything you need to know. That's why this overpayment isn't a painful one and doesn't really have the potential to be a painful one.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:42 AM
StanDarsh

Etleast we didn't pay 100 million for Suter. IMO that is a horrible overpayment that would have prevented us from resigning all the young guys.

StanDarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Bulin is gone next year, nothing we can do about Horcoff, and Dubnyk has a 2 year window to prove himself. Best case is he plays like he has the potential to and its a pretty damn good contract. Worst case is he stagnates and we end up overpaying him 1-2 million over this contract and then let someone else take over. Point being, in 2 years we will have one bad contract on this team and it will basically be over at that point
But its a trend. People keep saying oh its short or Bulin is off the books etc but if Tambellini cant even negotiate with a goalie how is he going to not overpay Hall, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, Smid when they get new contracts.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
But its a trend. People keep saying oh its short or Bulin is off the books etc but if Tambellini cant even negotiate with a goalie how is he going to not overpay Hall, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, Smid when they get new contracts.
Yeah, with how much money Dubnyk is making, Petry is going to end up making a ton... wait, what?

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:20 PM
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer

So how do you guys see the goaltending split going?

Will Dubs be 'the' starter? Or will Bullin play a fair bit on the last year of his contract...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
So how do you guys see the goaltending split going?

Will Dubs be 'the' starter? Or will Bullin play a fair bit on the last year of his contract...
I think most are hoping for something around 60 (Dubnyk) - 22 (Khabibulin).

Dubnyk will get anywhere from 45 to 65 starts depending on his play I'd imagine.

You never know but I don't think Krueger has any problem limiting Khabibulin's starts if Dubnyk is playing decent.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

Dubnyk will get anywhere from 45 to 65 starts depending on his play I'd imagine.

You never know but I don't think Krueger has any problem limiting Khabibulin's starts if Dubnyk is playing decent.
I think that having Krueger as coach could make a big difference in regards to goalie performance.

I thought that goaltender management was one of Renney's major weaknesses, and it cost us several games in the past IMO. His insistance on starting Khabibulin repeatedly down the stretch two years ago despite his atrocious play (SV% sub .890) was nearly enough to send me to the hospital with a stroke on a few different occasions.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

Honestly I don't know that Danis would be any worse than Bulin at this point. My biggest worry is that Bulin plays the way he did after the first 15 games and that Dubnyk plays like he did the first part of the year.

Then we are in big trouble.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote