HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 Minor Trade Makeover [Chi/Nyi/Phx/Sjs]

Old
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 Minor Trade Makeover [Chi/Nyi/Phx/Sjs]

Leafs 12/13 Roster - Before

Lupul - van Riemsdyk - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - MacArthur
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckle - Brown

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Komisarek
Liles - Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

I read through the most recent trade proposals on HFB involving the leafs and found four small trades, no big names, no blockblusters, no 3-way deals, no quality for quantity just small time, hockey trades, which it seems a good chunk of posters on here are okay with from both fan bases.

Trade A

Matthew Lombardi

Kyle Chipchura

Inspired by: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237529

Reasoning:Lombardi took big strides in his recovery last season and began playing well as a depth scorer, but from top six depth on wing in Toronto [Kessel/Lupul/MacArthur/Kulemin/Kadri/Frattin], and Toronto not willing to play an offensive 3rd line, Lombardi might have a hard time fitting in next season.
Chipchura just resigned for cheap and is an effective bottom six winger, something the Yotes have a fair amount of.

Yotes have ridiculous cap space, so can afford to use it to upgrade to get some needed scoring depth.

Trade B

Mike Komisarek

Conditional 7th Round Pick

Inspired by: Multiple threads, this idea has been tossed around for awhile

Reasoning: Komisarek is over paid, is a serviceable 5th d-man right now, who has crumbled in the Toronto spot light. Komisarek played well in MTL in space where he had less expectation and was paired with a smart puck mover.

Isles need to get to the cap floor, Komisarek is a Long Island boy, the NYI would benefit from some help on D, and Komisarek can play with a few different mobile D-men on the Island.

Trade C

Clarke MacArthur
2013 TOR 3rd

Ryane Clowe

Inspired by: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1238851&page=5

Reasoning: A lot of talk around these two players being swapped. Sharks add a playmaking winger, Leafs add a grittier one.

Trade D

Tyler Bozak
Korbinian Holzer

Niklas Hjarmalsson

Inspired by: Lost the thread, but someone mentioned if the Leafs want Hammer they did to be willing to give up Bozak and Holzer which they wouldn't be willing to do. But I think they would be. Hawks need a C, get one. Holzer fills in for Hammer, Hammer steps into leafs top 4.

Leafs 12/13 Roster - After

Lupul - van Riemsdyk - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - Clowe
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Chipchura - Steckle - Brown

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Hjarmalsson
Liles - Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

Final: In the end, not a drastic change. Besides the Komi dump we have...

In....

Clowe, Chipchura, Hjarmalsson

Out...

Bozak, Holzer, Lombardi, MacArthur

Other teams address some important needs, such as depth scoring, a second line C, more points down the wing. While the leafs address one major issue for there club, a lack of size.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:13 PM
jameswrjobe53

Steckel not Steckle

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Prime Minister

I don't know how other teams feel about these, but as a leafs fan I would be pretty happy to see some change in scenery between these players. The Bozak trade I might need to think twice about because Bozak is our only real center that has chemistry with Kessel, but other than that im happy.

Prime Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:19 PM
pspot

Include Bickell in that Chi deal and I think they would all be solid from a Leafs fan perspective

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Cogburn

1 and 2 I could see some facet of the trades working.

Chipchura might not be returned from Phoenix, but a low pick or stagnant prospect and I think he'd be a good fit.

Komisarek to the Isles...bit of a tough sell, but it's a freebie. Maybe add a slightly high pick going with Komi.

3 is where it starts unravelling. I think Clowe is far more valuable then MacArthur, and a 3rd doesn't make up the difference. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the Sharks would do the trade when other teams could offer more.

4. Well there has been talk of Hjalmarsson moving. I can't speak for Hawks fans, but it looks...well even. Maybe a slightly better prospect being sent with Bozak for a low pick or something.

It's not bad, for an overhaul proposal from a Leafs fans, but I think it needs to be tweaked a little for the last two.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:23 PM
KrisBeKreame

The Islanders say NOPE. They dont need your cap dump. We will make the salary floor without taking on your cap dumps for free. We have no place for nor desire to pay him that much.

Last edited by KrisBeKreame: 07-31-2012 at 03:29 PM.
KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:23 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Include Bickell in that Chi deal and I think they would all be solid from a Leafs fan perspective
Include Bickell to put him where? No spot on the 3rd line for him... and I don't see a point in trading for him to put him on the 4th line.

Think.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:26 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
I would be on board (more than on board actually) with the first 3 trades.

However, while I like Niklas Hjarmalsson, I would prefer to retain Tyler Bozak and Korbinian Holzer.

Bozak is only 26, and is coming off the most productive season of his young career. He has shown upward offensive progression his first 3 NHL seasons, and would have hit 20G-50pts if he had played the full season last year. Furthermore, he isn't afraid to hit, is strong at faceoffs and shares great chemistry with our team's best sniper in Phil Kessel.

Holzer is only 24, has great size 6'3 210lbs and was a dominating defensive force with the Marlies all year helping lead the team to the Calder Cup finals as a top pairing defenseman. He was drafted by Toronto in 2006 and has been patiently groomed in our system. He's only set to be paid .575M next year and will likely only receive a small pay increase ~1M+ after he becomes an RFA next offseason. I think that Holzer will make a smooth transition to the NHL and should be a cheap and effective defensive defenseman for the Leafs.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Skm

I'll just say that for a Leafs' proposal none of these are really unfair, probably not likely but at least the values are close.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
I'll just say that for a Leafs' proposal none of these are really unfair, probably not likely but at least the values are close.
Actually the Islanders deal not fair, likely or close to value.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

San Jose says yes.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Actually the Islanders deal not fair, likely or close to value.
Provides a bottom pairing dman to a team below the floor who won't need the cap space until long after his contract expires in 2 years.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:37 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:42 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Great thread, good deals, and improves the leafs quite a bit

Quote:
The Islanders say NOPE. They dont need your cap dump. We will make the salary floor without taking on your cap dumps for free. We have no place for nor desire to pay him that much.
For a fincially struggling team, saving the million dollars by taking on komisareks contract is very valueable. Instead of offering 4+ million on a UFA (of which I don't think any are worth) they could be paying komisarek 3.5 million while having the salaray cap benefit of acquiring a 4.5 mill contract.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Badger25

I personally like Trades A and C, I'm not sure how sharks fans will feel about that one but it looks good from a leafs perspective. I'm not sold on giving up on Komisarek, I think he'll have a smaller, simpler role under Carlyle and will do well in their bottom pairing. I don't know who Komarov is but that line looks a lot more complete with Bickel in there. Where did Conoly go?

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger25 View Post
I personally like Trades A and C, I'm not sure how sharks fans will feel about that one but it looks good from a leafs perspective. I'm not sold on giving up on Komisarek, I think he'll have a smaller, simpler role under Carlyle and will do well in their bottom pairing. I don't know who Komarov is but that line looks a lot more complete with Bickel in there. Where did Conoly go?
Komarov, to put it short but fairly accurately, is the tougher Steve Downie of the KHL.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Why can't Leafs fans comprehend that the Islanders do NOT want Komisarek? Garth also just signed Carkner, who's probably going to be better and even if he's not he's cheaper.

Stop trying to dump him on us.

EDIT: And the idea has been tossed around for a while because Leafs fans think he'd be a good fit for us. He's not.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
BonMorrison
Soco Amaretto Lime

I like all the trades except for the Bozak one. As another poster said above, Bozak has shown nothing but improvement and seems to be on a good path to become a very good 2nd - 3rd line center.

You also forgot Connolly. As much as Leaf fans would love it, he will NOT be a scratch next year.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
San Jose says yes.
Huh. Shut me up.

So 1 (until a Coyotes fan corrects me) and 3 work, and Islanders fans are not willing to take a risk on Komisarek. 4 seems up in the air still. I like being wrong sometimes.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:58 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Provides a bottom pairing dman
Which we dont need.

Quote:
to a team below the floor who won't need the cap space until long after his contract expires in 2 years.
We can reach the cap floor that will most likely be lowered whe the new CBA is signed without taking on CAP dumps this team can not afford for a player WE DO NOT NEED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Great thread, good deals, and improves the leafs quite a bit

For a fincially struggling team, saving the million dollars by taking on komisareks contract is very valueable. Instead of offering 4+ million on a UFA (of which I don't think any are worth) they could be paying komisarek 3.5 million while having the salaray cap benefit of acquiring a 4.5 mill contract.
I'm sorry you dont understand that we can not afford to pay 3.5M Dollars in salary to a player that will be the #7 defenceman on the team. It is not valuable to us, it is valuable to you so stop trying to dump your crap on us. WE DON'T WANT IT.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Huh. Shut me up.
That's the best offer we've gotten, unless somebody else wants to make a better offer keeping in mind we're either looking for a top-6 or two 2nd/3rd line tweeners and not futures.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
San Jose says yes.
I wouldn't do that. I like Clowe much more than MacArthur. I'd do it for Kulemin and a 3rd.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
TurdFerguson

Bozak has more value to the leafs than he does on any other team in the league. He's a player that excels when he plays with Kessel and doesn't do much of anything on any other line. Almost every team has a Bozak, ours is named Kruger. Almost every team needs a Hjalmarsson.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
That's the best offer we've gotten, unless somebody else wants to make a better offer keeping in mind we're either looking for a top-6 or two 2nd/3rd line tweeners and not futures.
I've seen better offers.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:03 PM
The Rochester Rocket

Quote:
Like how they took on Brian Rolston for more actual money and cap hit?

The Rochester Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote