HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 Minor Trade Makeover [Chi/Nyi/Phx/Sjs]

Old
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rochester Rocket View Post
Like how they took on Brian Rolston for more actual money and cap hit?
Rolstons money and cap hit were the same, more was expected of him too and had only one year on his deal. Isles aren't taking on komisarek to be a healthy scratch for more then one year.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
KrisBeKreame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rochester Rocket View Post
Like how they took on Brian Rolston for more actual money and cap hit?
1st off check your facts, they took on 5M in Rolston for 4M in Hunter. 2nd, They actually expected Rolston to be able and WILLING to step in, play and guide the young team. They wer hopeing by giving him ice time he would produce but that didnt happen.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Griffski

Nice work man. Hopefully leafs management follows these boards haha. The only thing: Connolly... What to do with him? Prospect?

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Bozak has more value to the leafs than he does on any other team in the league. He's a player that excels when he plays with Kessel and doesn't do much of anything on any other line. Almost every team has a Bozak, ours is named Kruger. Almost every team needs a Hjalmarsson.
Thats not exactly true. Youre really harsh on him here, acting like 47 points in the NHL is nothing. Why dont you wait until Kruger shows he can produce like that on a top line before saying he is one? Not saying he wont be mind you.

Bozak is decent 2nd/3rd line tweener, believe it or not those are not garbage players.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:16 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
1st off check your facts, they took on 5M in Rolston for 4M in Hunter. 2nd, They actually expected Rolston to be able and WILLING to step in, play and guide the young team. They wer hopeing by giving him ice time he would produce but that didnt happen.
Okay just saying but Komisarek wears an A for the leafs, and is constantly noted by management to have a great voice and presence in the room.

Even if he struggles to produce on the ice again, he does fulfill one of those objectives.

Do I think he makes sense for the Isles? Not really, unless they are still significantly below the cap floor after the new CBA, and the other options make even less sense.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:22 PM
mitchy22

I've suggested adding Komisarek for next-to-nothing before. The Islanders have a glut of mobile defenders and could use one more big body to round everything out. Let Donovan, de Haan and everyone else get overripe for a change. The Islanders should also be proactive about not getting caught with their pants down should the Visnovsky deal or the cap situation for next season not go the way they're projecting.

Komisarek is making $3.5 million/year for the next two seasons. His cap hit is $4.5 million/year for two more years. We were paying Eaton $3.0 million/year. It's hefty for a bottom pairing guy, but it's not brutally bad. I also believe Komisarek ends up being our #4 if everything remains the same. (Not saying he's a better player than AMac, but the pairings should work better. Against better skating, nonphysical teams, I'd swap AMac and Komisarek in the relevant pairings.)

With Visnovsky + Komisarek:
Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-Komisarek
AMac-Carkner

This version of our defense is the most experienced and balanced. Everyone gets to be in position. You have mobile guys paired with grittier or larger players. (I'll argue that Hamonic is both, and I'd love to clone him, but that technology is probably too expensive for our hockey club. )

Without Visnovsky + Komisarek:
Streit-Hamonic
AMac-Komisarek
Donovan/de Haan-Carkner

Too raw for my liking, but still balanced. We'd need a hefty contribution on offense from AMac or a rookie who will be playing next to guys who aren't exactly offensively talented to be polite.

Without Visnovsky and no other additions:
Streit-Hamonic
de Haan-AMac
Donovan-Carkner

Very raw, not strong enough, and poorly balanced. AMac has to play out of position. We have two rookies in the lineup. A rookie isn't really the ideal partner for Carkner. Entering the season with this lineup is not how to run a hockey club.

(You can also add Ness fighting for a spot against de Haan or Donovan. I'm hoping none of our more recent draftees are in the picture for a spot unless they dominate in camp.)

Like it or not, we really could use another defender with size. Komisarek isn't perfect, but he'll be paired with a mobile defender and we won't have to move AMac out of position. Our forwards are not an intimidating unit. We're small down the middle. Without an extra big body on defense, we're small in comparison to the competition we'll be facing. In the scenario that we cannot obtain Visnovsky, which I believe is very unlikely by the way, we'll be desperate for an NHL-ready defenseman. Even with Visnovsky, we should be looking to add another defenseman if we want to compete with the physically stronger teams in the East.

Probably too much analysis from an Isles fan, but take it for whatever it's worth. I know some of us won't take Komisarek at any price. I look at the above pairings and I think we should easily take him if it costs us minimal assets. Having bothered to say all of that, I actually think Komisarek will remain a Leaf unless they really need the extra cap.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
TyKace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister View Post
I don't know how other teams feel about these, but as a leafs fan I would be pretty happy to see some change in scenery between these players. The Bozak trade I might need to think twice about because Bozak is our only real center that has chemistry with Kessel, but other than that im happy.

I think your wish is going to come true. We are going to see a big change in scenery, and some even bigger deals made from the Leafs management in the upcoming weeks.

TyKace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Not bad.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Jamin

They all seem pretty good. I probably dont do it if im San Jose so im curious what more shark fans have to say

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
They all seem pretty good. I probably dont do it if im San Jose so im curious what more shark fans have to say
You are going to get mixed opinions. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'd do that CHI Deal

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:11 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
I think we can do better. I will also say if Burke could do all that (dumping Komisarek, etc), I think he would have by now. He's a very capable GM.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Machinae

My only qualm is VanReimsdyk playing center.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
The Islanders say NOPE. They dont need your cap dump. We will make the salary floor without taking on your cap dumps for free. We have no place for nor desire to pay him that much.
FWIW, Komisarek's salary is below his cap hit each of the next two seasons (3.5mill)

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
EbonyRaptor

I think the idea of trading Hjalmarsson has veered off from the original reason for doing so - which was salary cap relief to be used to upgrade an area of need and replace his d-man minutes with a lower cost option.

Bozak makes $1.5M and is UFA next summer - so (1) the Hawks don't need to offload Hjalmarsson's salary to sign Bozak, and (2) there isn't anyone in the deal to take his 4/5 minutes.

Bozak might be a decent one-year option at #2C, but losing and not replacing Hjalmarsson would make an already suspect defense worse.

Plus - and I know I'm in the minority in Hawk fandom with this - but I still think Hjalmarsson can (and will) get better. He's still only 24 and often d-men don't fully mature until 26-27. So, I'm in favor of keeping him regardless the circumstances unless it's a no-brainer deal for the Hawks.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Okay just saying but Komisarek wears an A for the leafs, and is constantly noted by management to have a great voice and presence in the room.

Even if he struggles to produce on the ice again, he does fulfill one of those objectives.

Do I think he makes sense for the Isles? Not really, unless they are still significantly below the cap floor after the new CBA, and the other options make even less sense.
I hate when people say stuff like this (not a shot at you personally). Who gives a crap about leadership when the player's on-ice play sucks? I doubt Komisarek's presence will do anything to make Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Grabner, and Hamonic better players. Has he had a large influence on making Kessel a better player? Did he with Schenn, Gardiner, or Gunnarsson?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:25 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Sharks fans are pretty split on Clowe for MacArthur, both are top 6 wingers, but Clowe brings more physicality while the General is much faster. Team speed is what killed the Sharks last year, so I'd wouldn't mind the trade, but the Sharks' top 6 is very soft as it is, so many are opposed to it.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:43 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Sharks fans are pretty split on Clowe for MacArthur, both are top 6 wingers, but Clowe brings more physicality while the General is much faster. Team speed is what killed the Sharks last year, so I'd wouldn't mind the trade, but the Sharks' top 6 is very soft as it is, so many are opposed to it.
Mac is not really that soft. He may not not initiate contact as often as Clowe but doesn't shy away from it either. I do think there is a concrete basis behind the proposal though, because Clowe seems like a better fit with Toronto's new coaching staff and Mac a good fit for SJ.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:08 PM
hawksfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I think the idea of trading Hjalmarsson has veered off from the original reason for doing so - which was salary cap relief to be used to upgrade an area of need and replace his d-man minutes with a lower cost option.

Bozak makes $1.5M and is UFA next summer - so (1) the Hawks don't need to offload Hjalmarsson's salary to sign Bozak, and (2) there isn't anyone in the deal to take his 4/5 minutes.

Bozak might be a decent one-year option at #2C, but losing and not replacing Hjalmarsson would make an already suspect defense worse.

Plus - and I know I'm in the minority in Hawk fandom with this - but I still think Hjalmarsson can (and will) get better. He's still only 24 and often d-men don't fully mature until 26-27. So, I'm in favor of keeping him regardless the circumstances unless it's a no-brainer deal for the Hawks.
I kind of lean in your direction when it comes to Hammer. I think Bozak's a pretty decent player, but I believe the original reason for dealing Hammer was to clear space to take a shot at Suter, and since that failed (and given some of the absurd prices of FA defensemen this offseason) Hammer's contract is not bad at all. I'd only consider moving him if it's for a CLEAR upgrade, and while I wouldn't mind having Bozak, the better Hawks' option is to move Kane to 2C at the moment and try to get a physical winger to play with him.

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Actually the Islanders deal not fair, likely or close to value.
nice try

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post

Well you used Rolston as an example but the Islanders dumped Hunter in that deal who had a contract that would pay him $2m a year through 2012-13. Back in Toronto's court, Burke earned his team some additional assets in Gardiner and Franson by taking on what were at the time Komisarek-like contracts, Lupul and Lombardi.

So the precedent is set that rather than generously 'giving' Komisarek to the Isles for nothing, a free asset should be tossed in to accommodate the salary dump.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Why can't Leafs fans comprehend that the Islanders do NOT want Komisarek? Garth also just signed Carkner, who's probably going to be better and even if he's not he's cheaper.

Stop trying to dump him on us.

EDIT: And the idea has been tossed around for a while because Leafs fans think he'd be a good fit for us. He's not.
No one on this board can or actually has the power to dump Komi on the Isles, it is a subject of conversation. Don't like the subject than don't read, respond ect....

I would take Komi over Carkner in a heartbeat, if Komi wasn't playing in TO and rather he was another team, we don't see the reaction that his name brings when brought up in trade proposals. Just because it is mentioned on here doesn't mean it is going to happen.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
No one on this board can or actually has the power to dump Komi on the Isles, it is a subject of conversation. Don't like the subject than don't read, respond ect....

I would take Komi over Carkner in a heartbeat, if Komi wasn't playing in TO and rather he was another team, we don't see the reaction that his name brings when brought up in trade proposals. Just because it is mentioned on here doesn't mean it is going to happen.
Don't tell me I shouldn't respond on a message board when it's about hockey and my favorite hockey team. I signed up to talk about hockey, and that's what I plan on doing.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:05 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I hate when people say stuff like this (not a shot at you personally). Who gives a crap about leadership when the player's on-ice play sucks? I doubt Komisarek's presence will do anything to make Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Grabner, and Hamonic better players. Has he had a large influence on making Kessel a better player? Did he with Schenn, Gardiner, or Gunnarsson?
You never know, how could you? Kessel improved alot this season, maybe some of it did have to do with Mike? You can doubt it all you want, but it sure sounds like he is doing something right in the room. Could be media spin, might not be. Who knows.

And who gives a crap? Did you not just say that acquiring leadership is important for a young team? I get that you are saying that if the on ice product doesnt improve then the leadership is pointless, but I just dont agree. Belanger was crap for Edmonton this year, but I bet you if you asked Hall and co. they would say he is great to have in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Well you used Rolston as an example but the Islanders dumped Hunter in that deal who had a contract that would pay him $2m a year through 2012-13. Back in Toronto's court, Burke earned his team some additional assets in Gardiner and Franson by taking on what were at the time Komisarek-like contracts, Lupul and Lombardi.

So the precedent is set that rather than generously 'giving' Komisarek to the Isles for nothing, a free asset should be tossed in to accommodate the salary dump.
I didnt come up with the Rolston example, but sure, I can see why you are saying that.

When we acquired Lupul, there was what... 2 years after the year he was in before the contract ended? And we gave up Beauchemin who the ducks valued, so I am not sure what the correct value for an additional asset would be for Komisarek.

He has less years, a similar cap hit, but an actual lower pay this season. So Im not sure, a B or B- level prospect? Any interest in a guy like Greg McKegg?

Old
07-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

try again

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote