HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Lines

Old
07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I'm for whatever makes us a better team. Doan is a leader, leaders are generally welcomed.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

But at what price and the team wants a vet d-man too

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Doan would probably make the top six better next season, but at some point he is going to be a relatively useless player. We don't know when that is going to be. If we were talking about a one year deal I'd be much more open to it, but for every year we tack on the question has to be asked, "Does Doan make us better in two years? Three? Four?" Eventually the answers are going to be "no".

Two would be my absolute limit. If he's still good after two seasons another deal can be worked out.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
But at what price and the team wants a vet d-man too
It's not my money, so I don't care.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It's not my money, so I don't care.

The motto of the armchair GM.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
ilikeblocks

Could Bobby Butler be this year's reclamation project?

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:30 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Defensively I think one of Hannan, Rozsival, Kubina, or Colaiacovo would be good. Each of those four can eat minutes, but none of them will make so much money that Trotz couldn't bench them if all three of the young guys are playing well.
You definitely don't want Kubina and Gill on the same D corps. Two of the slowest d men in the league. Having 1 is fine but 2 is trouble. I think Coliacovo is your best bet, I find it odd that no one has signed him yet

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
You definitely don't want Kubina and Gill on the same D corps. Two of the slowest d men in the league. Having 1 is fine but 2 is trouble. I think Coliacovo is your best bet, I find it odd that no one has signed him yet
Totally agree.

I'll add Rozsival to Coliacovo as well.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:34 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I've been saying Coliacovo, still haven't changed my mind. I think he would thrive under Trotz system.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I like Colaiacovo (and his name is fun to both spell and say), but it's the label of being injury prone that scares me.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...2b4e97734.html

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
I'd definitely like to give him a shot, see if it was a sophomore slump or what. Not sure, could be another tweener type who can't cut it under Trotz, but for the price it couldn't hurt to give him a try.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I like Colaiacovo (and his name is fun to both spell and say), but it's the label of being injury prone that scares me.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...2b4e97734.html
I'd love all the free **** I'd get since he played for the otters when my dad was the equipment manager.

Jonesey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:38 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Honestly, I think that we could get away with signing Colaiacovo to a one-year deal. He'd be relatively cheap (in the neighborhood of $2M), and since he misses 15-20 games a year, that gives a young guy like Ekholm a chance to show off his wares and set himself up for a long-term place with the club. Alternately, Colaiacovo stays healthy, plays really well, and goes out and gets a big payday in free agency, kind of the same way that Tom Poti did a few years ago.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Honestly, I think that we could get away with signing Colaiacovo to a one-year deal. He'd be relatively cheap (in the neighborhood of $2M), and since he misses 15-20 games a year, that gives a young guy like Ekholm a chance to show off his wares and set himself up for a long-term place with the club. Alternately, Colaiacovo stays healthy, plays really well, and goes out and gets a big payday in free agency, kind of the same way that Tom Poti did a few years ago.
If it was only a 1year deal like you said, it wouldn't be such a bad pickup. If you dig through all the injury reports he's got some underrated scoring ability. You just have to remember that this will more than likely happen at some point during the year....

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
If it was only a 1year deal like you said, it wouldn't be such a bad pickup. If you dig through all the injury reports he's got some underrated scoring ability. You just have to remember that this will more than likely happen at some point during the year....

To be honest, the only time I see him get hurt is against the Preds. I know Tootoo and Weber took him out. Maybe sign him to the 'designated Pred that Weber takes out with a slapper'?

Old
07-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
I immediately thought of Butler being "that guy" when he was bought out of his contract in Ottawa, but two guys that I think are more likely to be brought in on training camp invites or signed to minimum contracts are Kristian Huselius (CBJ) and Eric Fehr (WPG).

Both have struggled recently with injuries, but both have good upside if they can get/remain healthy. When healthy, Huselius is a speedy goal scoring winger. He is not 100% though and likely never will be, but if he can pot 15-20 goals and 40 points playing 60 games this season...I think it'd be worth a shot.

Fehr is an interesting case. Had a bright future as a goal scoring power forward winger when Atlanta acquired him from Washington. Has had a couple of shoulder surgeries since and struggled last year due to both conditioning (due to lack of training while recovering) and being uncomfortable going into high traffic areas while protecting his shoulder. If he is healthy, he could be a good pickup and pot 20 goals with the right linemates.

We do have a lot of forward depth in the bottom six already, but still need a veteran or two to serve as leaders in Milwaukee and 14th-15th forwards in the system. I expect Poile to land a couple of those guys as the summer progresses.

Brodie Dupont is still available and someone that I would like to see re-signed too. Dupont was acquired for Andreas Thuresson last summer from the Rangers and injured his Achilles tendon while training. He missed literally the first three months of the season, but returned and had a very inconsistent second half. After a summer of recovery, if he is healthy, I think Dupont should be given another opportunity to battle for that 14th forward spot and see if he can't work his way into the NHL by season's end. Dupont likely wants another shot at the NHL prior to going over to Europe to make $, but is also likely leery of signing a two-way NHL contract right now while the labor agreement is still up in the air. There is a rumor that the NHLPA will not allow their players to play in the AHL next season if a lockout occurs...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:13 PM
maplepred

I'm thinking our best option on defense is gonna be barker, colaiacovo, or hannan

They are best ufa d-men available imo

Who do you think would be best fit here?

I don't see us trading for jbo he costs to much imo

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Legionnaire11

Colaiacovo. I think the injuries are being played up too much, he's still playing 65 games a season, and as TMI suggested, that's the perfect opportunity to work young guys like Ekholm into the NHL.

Two years ago was the eye injury, that's just a bad luck factor taking a puck to the face, otherwise he's at 72-74 GP. And a rough first half, he stayed relatively healthy the rest of the way. He missed some time early, and then his biggest setback was the groin which is always a concern when a guy has already been out of action, especially early in the year.

I'd definitely take a chance on him. Especially because I feel like he could potentially fill in for short stretches on the first pair just in case Josi bombs. Where guys like Hannan and Rozsival are closer to the 3rd pair than the 1st.

Barker on a dirty-cheap one year contract would probably be worth a look, see if he was just in the wrong situation or if he really has fallen that hard.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
ninetynine*

Erat-Fisher-SK
Wilson-Legwand-Hornqvist
Bourque-Spaling-Smith
Hali-Goose-Yip/McGrattan

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
At least we're at a point where we aren't throwing a true freshman in anywhere...I feel like that's been the case the past few years.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:20 PM
glenngineer

So here's the question, looks like our top 13 are set. Who do we have to call up when the injury bug hits?

Mueller
Latta
Who else?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:05 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Beck

Old
08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So here's the question, looks like our top 13 are set. Who do we have to call up when the injury bug hits?

Mueller
Latta
Who else?
That's why I believe we will still see some tweener vets signed to be mentors at Milwaukee and serve as callups if needed.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Colaiacovo. I think the injuries are being played up too much, he's still playing 65 games a season, and as TMI suggested, that's the perfect opportunity to work young guys like Ekholm into the NHL.

Two years ago was the eye injury, that's just a bad luck factor taking a puck to the face, otherwise he's at 72-74 GP. And a rough first half, he stayed relatively healthy the rest of the way. He missed some time early, and then his biggest setback was the groin which is always a concern when a guy has already been out of action, especially early in the year.

I'd definitely take a chance on him. Especially because I feel like he could potentially fill in for short stretches on the first pair just in case Josi bombs. Where guys like Hannan and Rozsival are closer to the 3rd pair than the 1st.

Barker on a dirty-cheap one year contract would probably be worth a look, see if he was just in the wrong situation or if he really has fallen that hard.

Colaiacovo STARTS about 65 games per year, doesn't always finish them. I don't hate him like some Blues fans, but he certainly has his limitations. He always seems to get hurt in the middle of the game and leave you short handed on the bench for a period or two. He's a decent Dman with some good puck moving abilities. In the right role, he certainly has some valuable traits.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I'm thinking our best option on defense is gonna be barker, colaiacovo, or hannan
Well, Barker is a walking disaster, so that's out, and Hannan's role is filled by Gill, so that leaves Colaiacovo.

I have to think Cola (or a defenseman like him) comes in and slots as our #4, like he did in St. Louis. He's a guy that can be depended on to move the puck effectively, which means he can offset the one glaring flaw in Klein's game.

Weber-Josi
Klein-Colaiacovo
Gill-Kid who wins the spot out of camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That's why I believe we will still see some tweener vets signed to be mentors at Milwaukee and serve as callups if needed.
I don't see us signing more than two. Brule and Jaffray would be my choices. Brule could even push for that #14 spot and send Mueller back to Milwaukee. We only have 25 forwards in North America this year, so there is room for at least one more guy, if not two...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote