HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

AJ Burnett's Pirates! | Home of the Back-to-Back NL Player of the Month

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 03:43 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
I agree with this sentiment
I'll third that. I like all of the trades - even though I don't like losing Lincoln I understand the goal behind it - but I was hoping for more considering our current record.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I looked up qualls, and he mainly pitched in the NL. He's had a steady ERA under 4 pretty much his whole career.

He doesn't seem that bad at all, outside of this year.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Qualis probably becomes strictly a mopup guy. Eating crap innings to save another arm.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:04 PM
PensFan68

I'm pretty happy with what the Pirates have done. Really haven't picked up a for sure impact guy, but have added to the lineup a bit. I'm all for taking a chance on Snider. He has alot of upside, and while i don't ever see him having a high average, I can see him hitting 20+ HR's. Moving Lincoln for him was a good deal. Yeah, he's been great in the pen, but as some others have said, you trade relievers while their value is high. He isn't going to be a starter, well at least here.

Sanchez is having a tough year, but coming off a couple pretty good seasons. He will be a nice addition to the bench, and a good replacement for McGehee. Losing Gorky's is no big deal, he really wasn't going to fit in here, and losing a pick in MLB doesn't matter, it's such a crapshoot.

Qualls is ok. Getting him for McGehee who's done nothing for us makes bringing him in ok.

All in all we are taking a chance on adding some power to the lineup, while not giving anything of importance up. I'm all for these deals. I don't necessarily think these deals make us better, but I do think these guys have the possibility of making a huge impact.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Am I the only here that thinks Snider could become the next Giles or Bay? Very similar situation when we obtained both of those guys.

If Marte/Snider work out, we could have a badass outfield for a long time.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Best deal of the day is Dempster leaving the Cubs so we don't have to face him tonight.

07-31-2012, 04:27 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Am I the only here that thinks Snider could become the next Giles or Bay? Very similar situation when we obtained both of those guys.

If Marte/Snider work out, we could have a badass outfield for a long time.
Hoping. His upside is quite high. Although, he also could just flop like most the guys we take a chance on.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
Best deal of the day is Dempster leaving the Cubs so we don't have to face him tonight.
My first thought too

Old
07-31-2012, 05:34 PM
WickedWrister

From everything that I'm reading, it sounds like these acquisitions are solid. But I think that for this team, this year, we needed more.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
From everything that I'm reading, it sounds like these acquisitions are solid. But I think that for this team, this year, we needed more.
I think to get more we would've been giving up pieces we didn't want to, i.e. Marte, Cole, Taillon, Heredia, Bell, Hanson.

I'm fine with who we got for what we gave up. We're a better organization today than we were yesterday and better for the future.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Lincoln, Hernandez and McGehee for Qualls, Snider and Sanchez is a win, IMO. The comp pick is the biggest loss (aside from Lincoln).

Old
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

NH had to address the present needs without sacrificing the future. He got two bats that possibly can help and aren't just rentals. They can also be part of the future if they pan out. I think he did well.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Quote:
I think to get more we would've been giving up pieces we didn't want to, i.e. Marte, Cole, Taillon, Heredia, Bell, Hanson.

I'm fine with who we got for what we gave up. We're a better organization today than we were yesterday and better for the future.
Agreed. Plus, I doubt we would have been able to resign any of the rentals anyway.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:57 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Quote:

I agree with everything here. I agree we needed more to make a difference this year, but I'm happy that we didn't sacrifice the future to do it. I wasn't wanting to move one of our top prospects for a rental.

I do love taking the chance on Snider. He may never develop, but if he does this will end up being a great move. He could potentially be that corner OF'er/middle of the order bat that we've needed.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
sniugneP

NH realized that rentals aren't going to help us without sacrificing top prospects. Last year's rentals (Ludwick and Lee) didn't help us at all.

I liked what NH did at trade deadline this time.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

From a Phillies POV about Qualls:

One of the worst pitchers I have seen put on a Phillies uniform in quite some time.

I have no idea how he had ANY trade value, whatsoever.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:12 PM
WickedWrister

What kind of numbers does everyone anticipate Gabby Sanchez putting up in a full season?

Just looking at his stats, his numbers this year are terrible. In 58 games this year, he's batting .202 & 17 RBI. However, his only other 2 years as an everyday player have been .270 80ish RBIs and 20 HRs.

Given the other options at 1B, if he could produce like he has the past 2 years I'm OK with that.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

One of the worst pitchers I have seen put on a Phillies uniform in quite some time.

It was lousy depth player for lousy depth player, let's not pretend our third string first baseman had any trade value.

If nothing else this deal saves a bit over $1 million.

As for Gabby...I don't know if we'll see him in an every day situation here unless he breaks out...but with back-to-back 19 home run with ~.785 OPS seasons I'd say it'd be fair to expect that over a full season again. He was awful in Miami this year, but so was everyone else on that pathetic team. We've been on the wrong side of trading a guy like this at their lowest value only to see them turn things around once they get to a better environment.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
07-31-2012, 06:27 PM
sniugneP

Let's see if any new players learn to flash "Z" quickly.

I'm really looking forward to watch Snider tonite.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Yeah, Yankees fans pretty much said the same. I'm not sure what we're going to do with him. We have 3 guys in AAA who are beating the door down for a relief role with the Pirates.

McGehee has been terrible all year minus a 2 week spurt in June.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

I completely missed McCutchen being re-called earlier today.

I really don't know what we're doing with Qualls. I'm starting to think it may have been just a sheer salary dump. McCutchen replacing the Lincoln role makes a lot of sense. Qualls will either be a mop-up guy or depth in Indianapolis.

A turd deal all around. Neither team has any reason to be excited whatsoever about that.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Gooch

I really am a fan of this trading deadline vs last years. It makes up for having a very crappy draft.

Normally I love draft picks, but I dont fret over losing the competitive balance pick for next years draft. The reason being is that our draft budget is determined from how many picks we have and we will already have an early pick and probably a middle pick as well. The competitive balance pick wouldve inflated the total dollar amount and thus whoever we took in the 8th overall or 9th overall will look to try to demand the most they can from us and not merely be limited to the slot value. So while we would still get talent with that 8th overall, it'll likely affect the kind of player we can draft with our mid round pick and certainly the kind of player with the competitive balance pick would likely just be a 2nd or 3rd round signability type guy anyways since all the money would be tied up with whoever we're picking first.

If the MLB didnt change the damn system then I would not be thrilled with losing the pick as it wouldve been what it seems at face value, another decent draft pick but since we're severly limited to how we can spend it really ruins the value that it has.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I really am a fan of this trading deadline vs last years. It makes up for having a very crappy draft.

Normally I love draft picks, but I dont fret over losing the competitive balance pick for next years draft. The reason being is that our draft budget is determined from how many picks we have and we will already have an early pick and probably a middle pick as well. The competitive balance pick wouldve inflated the total dollar amount and thus whoever we took in the 8th overall or 9th overall will look to try to demand the most they can from us and not merely be limited to the slot value. So while we would still get talent with that 8th overall, it'll likely affect the kind of player we can draft with our mid round pick and certainly the kind of player with the competitive balance pick would likely just be a 2nd or 3rd round signability type guy anyways since all the money would be tied up with whoever we're picking first.

If the MLB didnt change the damn system then I would not be thrilled with losing the pick as it wouldve been what it seems at face value, another decent draft pick but since we're severly limited to how we can spend it really ruins the value that it has.
I viewed that comp pick the same way you did. It was more valuable for the bonus money than the pick itself. Anyone the Pirates would have picked there probably would have been a 3rd or 4th round signable player to help go over-slot on one (or both) of the real first round picks.

Great job 'fixing' the broken system, MLB.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:49 PM
sniugneP

Wow, this is first time that Gooch actually liked giving up a draft pick for a player.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Wow, this is first time that Gooch actually liked giving up a draft pick for a player.
No need for sarcasm, it's probably true. I think the Billy Geurin trade was also one other time though that I can remember ever not being bothered with losing a draft pick.

Closed Thread