HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins #8 prospect

View Poll Results: Who is our #8 prospect?
Kenneth Agostino (20, Yale/ECAC) 0 0%
Teddy Blueger (17, Shattuck St. Mary's/USHS) 15 11.28%
Robert Bortuzzo (23, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 5 3.76%
Nick D'Agostino (22, Cornell/ECAC) 1 0.75%
Ben Hanowski (21, St. Cloud State/WCHA) 1 0.75%
Tom Kühnhackl (20, Niagara IceDogs/OHL) 20 15.04%
Brian Strait (24, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 6 4.51%
Eric Tangradi (23, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 82 61.65%
Dominik Uher (19, Spokane Chiefs/WHL) 3 2.26%
Keven Veilleux (23, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yah WTH... how come we keep leaving Macaroni out of these polls? He's arguably our biggest offensive asset behind Dangles, in terms of pure skill / speed.
Yup, definitely keeping a close eye on him this year. He wants to prove a lot of teams wrong that passed on him after his shoulder injury

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:12 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Yup, definitely keeping a close eye on him this year. He wants to prove a lot of teams wrong that passed on him after his shoulder injury
good, i hope he does

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:14 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Went with Kuhn. I was going to vote for Bortuzzo but I'm sick of voting for defensemen.

I think people are a little too critical of Das Kuhn's struggles last year. He had some big challenges with the suspension and trade so I'm willing to give him a pass for this past season. I think he'll re-establish his position on this list this season.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Went with Kuhn. I was going to vote for Bortuzzo but I'm sick of voting for defensemen.

I think people are a little too critical of Das Kuhn's struggles last year. He had some big challenges with the suspension and trade so I'm willing to give him a pass for this past season. I think he'll re-establish his position on this list this season.
I'm kind of in the opposite direction when it comes to evaluating Kuhnhackl. For me, he's got to prove that "the real Kuhnhackl" is the one who scored 39 goals, not the one who struggled for most of last year.

If he bounces back and proves in the AHL this coming season that he's the legitimate prospect he was in his rookie OHL season, then next year's poll will see me vote him higher. But right now, I'm in wait-and-see mode based on his struggles.

Hopefully he does similar to what Harrington did. When we picked Harrington, I was torn between being hopeful we drafted the 16 year old stud defenseman who played with poise and maturity beyond his years, and being worried we drafted the 17 year old who struggled in his draft year. Harrington had the kind of season that erased my doubts, so maybe Kuhnhackl will do the same.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
wej20

Shouldn't Wilson be in the poll by this point? He had arguably the best rookie NCAA season of any of our college players.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Big Dog seemed like the obvious pick here given his performance at the end of the season. Next round is tough, I like Bort's combination of readiness and upside, however Strait is already a solid third pairing D IMO.

Gallatin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

this HF article listing the Top 10 drafted NCAA forwards (as of May 27th, 2012) has Hanowski at 8th for what it's worth.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:45 PM
wej20

I like Hanowski, he had a great Junior year and has NHL size compared to guys like Archibald and Wilson. For me it's between him and Kuhn after we've done Tangradi, Strait and Bortuzzo.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:

Agree on Kuhn. The season before last he was the second coming of Stamkos, now he's nothing?

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitziwa View Post
Agree on Kuhn. The season before last he was the second coming of Stamkos, now he's nothing?
He's not nothing, but you can't just pretend last season didn't happen either. Regressing at his age is a huge red flag regardless of the excuses people want to make for him.

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitziwa View Post
I think you're exaggerating in trying to make a point. I don't think a single person thought he'd be as good as Stamkos, nor do I think a single person now believes he's "nothing". So that seems a tad hyperbolic on your part to break down the discussion into two extremes that I don't believe anyone has argued before.

I just think some folks (myself included) are wondering whether this past season's struggles were a minor blip on the radar and want to see him rebound first before choosing him as a better prospect than those who didn't struggle this past season.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I've watch Kuhnhackl play a lot over the past two years and I wouldn't say he's regressed at all his situation just changed a bunch. He still has a ridiculous shot and is a very creative offensive player. Windsor just went from a powerhouse to a rebuilding team in the span of a few months (between Kuhnhackl's last two OHL seasons). When he was dealt to Niagara he was overkill for that team, they pretty much had their top 6 set before even acquiring him and even in a more limited role, Kuhnhackl put up some decent numbers for them.

People are just stat watching in his case. The numbers went down so he must've regressed. It's the simplest and easiest way to criticize a player you never watch. While he didn't show major improvement either, that can probably get chalked up to him 50% less games than the year before. If anything, his suspension might be a good thing. He had some issues not using his big frame in his rookie season and now he's illegally trucking people. It's nice to see that he has the ability to show that type of nastiness.

Besides Bennett (and arguably Tangradi), Kuhnhackl is our next most skilled forward. Well...maybe KV. That guy's a beast...but since he didn't play any games last season...REGRESSED!

Old
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Besides Bennett (and arguably Tangradi), Kuhnhackl is our next most skilled forward. Well...maybe KV. That guy's a beast...but since he didn't play any games last season...REGRESSED!
Matia will see YOU in Macaroni Court. Weren't you the guy who had everyone take their shirts off? I'm not convinced you can be trusted.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
dogthateats

Add Zatkoff

dogthateats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Matia will see YOU in Macaroni Court. Weren't you the guy who had everyone take their shirts off? I'm not convinced you can be trusted.
Maybe 5 people thought "Shirt Off Playoffs" was funny...maybe less actually.

It was perfect. Working on a strategy to ruin next years playoff avatars. "Beard rubbing for the Cup"?

Old
07-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Kuhn, Tangradi's not a prospect to me anymore.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Maybe 5 people thought "Shirt Off Playoffs" was funny...maybe less actually.

It was perfect. Working on a strategy to ruin next years playoff avatars. "Beard rubbing for the Cup"?

I'd say no less than 12 people thought it was funny. Don't sell yourself short, judge!

For 2013 go with something more eclectic... midget jello wrestlers or something.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

I'd say no less than 12 people thought it was funny. Don't sell yourself short, judge!

For 2013 go with something more eclectic... midget jello wrestlers or something.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Are you suggesting Red Pandas find jello wrestling midgets intriguing or that we should have panda wrestling as a theme?

Ultimately it is unlikely the Red Panda will be defeated. Especially if we sign Doan.

In fact if Doan comes here I am decreeing his nickname to be "panda".

Old
07-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
I've watch Kuhnhackl play a lot over the past two years and I wouldn't say he's regressed at all his situation just changed a bunch. He still has a ridiculous shot and is a very creative offensive player. Windsor just went from a powerhouse to a rebuilding team in the span of a few months (between Kuhnhackl's last two OHL seasons). When he was dealt to Niagara he was overkill for that team, they pretty much had their top 6 set before even acquiring him and even in a more limited role, Kuhnhackl put up some decent numbers for them.

People are just stat watching in his case. The numbers went down so he must've regressed. It's the simplest and easiest way to criticize a player you never watch. While he didn't show major improvement either, that can probably get chalked up to him 50% less games than the year before. If anything, his suspension might be a good thing. He had some issues not using his big frame in his rookie season and now he's illegally trucking people. It's nice to see that he has the ability to show that type of nastiness.

Re: the bolded. For what it's worth, my opinion is based on watching him play, not on his stat line.

Maybe you saw him a lot more than I did, but in the games I did see him he simply wasn't close to as effective as his first year in the league. I didn't see him get open much to utilize that shot of his (which he did quite consistently in his rookie year), didn't see a marked improvement in his all around game, nor did he seem as much of a threat when he was on the ice. There were even a handful of Niagara games where he was invisible on the ice, and the only reason I even noticed him is because I went out of my way to look for his name on a jersey.

Perhaps all of that was due to the injury/suspension/adjustment to a new team. Hopefully that's the case, because I liked what I saw from him as a rookie. All I'm saying is I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to him until he can show last season was an anomaly.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:

I watched a little bit of Kuhn his rookie year with Windsor and wasn't all that impressed. He looked uncoordinated, slow and didn't show off his rocket of a shot that people talk about. He scored a few goals on rebounds (which was nice to see) but to be honest he didn't seem all that skilled. I haven't watched him nearly as much as you so it's encouraging to read you're positive assessment of him. I'm hoping I just haven't seen him at his best. That's basically why I didn't vote for him. It really had nothing to do with his stats from last year. I'm not going to be too hard on somebody over an injury/suspension plagued season.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:47 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

No love for Ruopp?! A player the Pens almost took instead of Harrington, our 6th prospect according to these, then get back in the ZM deal?

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
No love for Ruopp?! A player the Pens almost took instead of Harrington, our 6th prospect according to these, then get back in the ZM deal?
I think we're all still a little apprehensive about the guy, though he brings an element we don't have anywhere else in the pool and could turn out to be a gem. Nobody here has seen him play extensively, and there's really very little reason to think he's any better than our 9th best defense prospect right now, all things considered.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:25 PM
SIDGENO8771

Tangradi sucks, Kuhnackel FTW

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Shouldn't Wilson be in the poll by this point? He had arguably the best rookie NCAA season of any of our college players.
He has a boring last name

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote