HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leblanc love

Old
07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Leblanc love

Leblanc is the next Patches. Maybe not in term of production, but in term of impact to the team.

We're not talking enough about him (I just decided that unilaterally - also I'm bored) and I think this has to stop.

Leblanc has the distinction of having played in 5 leagues in the last 4 years. This is such a crazy stat I have to bring it up again.

And yet, he didn't look out of place during his stints in Montreal. Yeah, he sucked at the end, mostly because he was gazed. And we kind of forgotten how focused he was in the begining of the season, and how much he had to adapt in the last few years with every year a new team, new teammates, new coaches, and an ever raising difficulty in term of opponents.

I see Leblanc pulling a Patches; because of an ordinary end of season, we are kind of forgetting him this summer. But he's still there, still very young, and now for a first time in so long, Leblanc will be able to start the season actually prepared to what's coming from him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him start with the team after a great training camp, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the goto guy on Plekanec's left by the end of the season.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Andy

I agree. Too many people underestimate Leblanc. That doesn't mean I'm saying he'll be a star, but people are really overlooking him. His hockey IQ is pretty high. Very smart player.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quality takes a little time...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
DAChampion

I think he looked great in his time up in the big leagues, particularly in late season. Good positioning, good speed, good hands. However, he didn't get much ice time, I think he'd be on the 4th line with the likes of Palushaj, White, players like that.

I'd rather see him dominating in Hamilton, playing 20 minutes a game on the 1st line with Brendan Gallagher and Patrick Holland. Let him simmer there. We can then call him up when injuries hit, or once we trade veterans at the deadline.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
StellerEller
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 425
Because of his hockey sense/IQ he'll be a very useful player for years to come. He'll be a key supporting piece and brings a lot to the table: some size, good skill/speed, great intelligence, and most importantly a great attitude towards getting better. He'll won't set the world on fire, but I have a feeling he's going to 'blow up' in his own way over the next few years, especially after he fills out a bit. I could see him being a very good 2-way forward.

StellerEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Saying that he sucked at the end of the season is really harsh.

Some forget that he was supposed to be more of a project, taking a few years to make it to the NHL. On the contrary, he made it to the big show only 2 years after being drafted. He has played in the USHL, NCAA, QMJHL, AHL and finally, in the big league in the last 3 years, constantly had to adapt to new coaches, line mates, schedule, life style...

I don't recall a single instance during his 42 games where I thought to myself "Leblanc sucks tonight". Sure, he was quiet most night. But to "suck", he'd have to be detrimental to the team while on the ice and he never was. Which is very impressive considering his age and the route he took to get there.

I know that most would like him to go back to the AHL, and he's been kind of an afterthought since we've drafted Galchenyuk. But he's an extremely competitive guy with a perfect work ethic. He has trained all summer and there is no doubt in my mind that he'll make a lot of noise during training camp.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Beendair Donedat

He seems like a poor man's Carbonneau to me...solid defensively with a mild offensive touch. Should top out as a solid second liner with good penalty killing skills.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:56 PM
pine*

He's gonna be an elite 3rd liner for us.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Yeah, sucked was a bit harsh

He sucked like Patches sucked by the end of 2010-2011, when some people were seeing in him a future 3rd line winger.

Anyway... happy to see others agree with my general view of him.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:59 PM
StellerEller
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Saying that he sucked at the end of the season is really harsh.

Some forget that he was supposed to be more of a project, taking a few years to make it to the NHL. On the contrary, he made it to the big show only 2 years after being drafted. He has played in the USHL, NCAA, QMJHL, AHL and finally, in the big league in the last 3 years, constantly had to adapt to new coaches, line mates, schedule, life style...

I don't recall a single instance during his 42 games where I thought to myself "Leblanc sucks tonight". Sure, he was quiet most night. But to "suck", he'd have to be detrimental to the team while on the ice and he never was. Which is very impressive considering his age and the route he took to get there.

I know that most would like him to go back to the AHL, and he's been kind of an afterthought since we've drafted Galchenyuk. But he's an extremely competitive guy with a perfect work ethic. He has trained all summer and there is no doubt in my mind that he'll make a lot of noise during training camp.
I agree. He obviously was a little bit wasted on our 4th line, but injuries will do that. I also want to add to your mention of Galchenyuk. I think he and LL could have some nice chemistry together, they both have great intelligence and playing with someone like galchenyuk could help LL expand his game offensively, especially if all the attention goes to Galchenyuk. Leblanc is the kind of player that will sneak into scoring areas when his opponents aren't looking. Couple that with Galchenyuk's playmaking potential and we could see LL's offensive ceiling rise a little bit.

StellerEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

In Leblanc, I see a future 25-30-55 second-liner winger who can play in any situations and with any linemates and always be a plus.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
shutehinside

No pressure right?

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
FF de Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U025UhBdnVY

What a play by Leblanc, on Blake Geoffrion's first goal !

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
No pressure right?
None whatsoever

Old
07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
DAChampion

I'll be disappointed in Leblanc if he becomes a third line player. IMO he has the potential to be a good 2nd line winger. I checked the detailed stats just now. He's already compares well to Rene Bourque, Scott Gomez, Lars Eller, and the spectacular Mathieu Darche in spite of being a n00b.

Louis Leblanc produced 5 goals and 5 assists in in 449 even strength minutes, and 0 goals and 0 assists in 17 total power play minutes.

Rene Bourque produced 14 goals and 3 assists in 1029 ES minutes, and then 3 goals and 3 assists in 185 PP minutes.

Lars Eller produced 12 goals and 10 assists in 1023 ES minutes, and 2 goals and 1 assists in 52 PP minutes.

Mathieu Darche produced 3 goals and 5 assists in 600 ES minutes, and 0 goals and 0 assists in 30 PP minutes.

Scott Gomez produced 0 goals and 8 assists in 446 ES minutes, and 1 goal and 3 assists in 89 power play minutes.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
In Leblanc, I see a future 25-30-55 second-liner winger who can play in any situations and with any linemates and always be a plus.
I see him more as a 20+g 20a kinda guy in the chris higgins mold. I think he'll play with more heart than higgins and might even be better on the boards than him, which is a feat in itself. I don't think his offensive creativity is quite up to the level I think it would need to be for him to hit 30 or more assists, but hey, could be wrong.

I do, however, think that he'll be getting those point totals against very good opposition. Leblanc could be a great winger for a guy like Eller. They'd shut down lines all day, err'day and plug in some offense to boot.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
PricePkPatch

Indeed. Leblanc COULD qualify in the club this year.

But he shouldn't. He should get going long, top minutes in Hamilton, and strive to win a Calder cup there with the other brillant youngster.

Thing of this:

Leblanc-Holland-Gallagher
Beaulieu-Tinordi

as a starting lineup

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I see him more as a 20+g 20a kinda guy in the chris higgins mold. I think he'll play with more heart than higgins and might even be better on the boards than him, which is a feat in itself. I don't think his offensive creativity is quite up to the level I think it would need to be for him to hit 30 or more assists, but hey, could be wrong.

I do, however, think that he'll be getting those point totals against very good opposition. Leblanc could be a great winger for a guy like Eller. They'd shut down lines all day, err'day and plug in some offense to boot.
I agree with everything in the post, especially the bolded. Loved the Higgins comparison (since I wanted to make the same ). Leblanc and Eller would be great, they have the potential to become an ideal modern shut down line, which can pitch in points, keep possession and keep top lines from scoring.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
yianik

I like the Carbonneau comparison and I certainly wouldnt consider him a disappointment if he turned into a 3rd liner who plays like Carbonneau. Very early days yet to think of capping his potential. Thing Ive noticed when he is playing is he looks serious, focused and intense. Like that, he wants to play.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Galchenyuk94

He was a beauty to watch in his LSL days.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
He's gonna be an elite 3rd liner for us.
I think that is a realistic assessment

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Whether he plays on the wing or the centre, I think he could become a solid third liner for the Habs in the future. Give it 1-2 more years before things really shape into form.

Leblanc could very easily become a 20 goal, 25-30 assist kind of guy that is good defensively.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'll be disappointed in Leblanc if he becomes a third line player. IMO he has the potential to be a good 2nd line winger. I checked the detailed stats just now. He's already compares well to Rene Bourque, Scott Gomez, Lars Eller, and the spectacular Mathieu Darche in spite of being a n00b.

Louis Leblanc produced 5 goals and 5 assists in in 449 even strength minutes, and 0 goals and 0 assists in 17 total power play minutes.

Rene Bourque produced 14 goals and 3 assists in 1029 ES minutes, and then 3 goals and 3 assists in 185 PP minutes.

Lars Eller produced 12 goals and 10 assists in 1023 ES minutes, and 2 goals and 1 assists in 52 PP minutes.

Mathieu Darche produced 3 goals and 5 assists in 600 ES minutes, and 0 goals and 0 assists in 30 PP minutes.

Scott Gomez produced 0 goals and 8 assists in 446 ES minutes, and 1 goal and 3 assists in 89 power play minutes.
You are comparing apples and oranges.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Anyone feel Higgins is a good comparison? In terms of impact I mean.

Edit: beaten to it

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:57 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyone feel Higgins is a good comparison? In terms of impact I mean.
Pretty good comparison. Seems like a smarter player but maybe not as physically strong.