HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan-ding Pat

Old
07-31-2012, 01:30 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
And before Bowman fans get in a tizzy, that's a compliment to Oduya. I was probably the most outspoken critic of letting Campoli walk. I like Jonny and am happy to see him back, even if he is making a bit too much cheddar.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:36 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
I really liked Campoli but I don't think there is too much comparison defensively. I think Oduya is much better on the whole, but I will admit it's more fun to watch Campoli even if it doesn't help anybody win a game.
I think you have it backwards actually. Oduya does not lay a glove on the opps defensively, simply relies on positioning and a good stick. He scares me defensively. Campoli may not have the same finesse but he is the more physical by a good margin. I know who Id rather have on the defensive side.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed. Oduya reminds me of Roger Dorn from Major League.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I think you have it backwards actually. Oduya does not lay a glove on the opps defensively, simply relies on positioning and a good stick. He scares me defensively. Campoli may not have the same finesse but he is the more physical by a good margin. I know who Id rather have on the defensive side.
My criticism of Campoli has to do with his positioning. He's in the wrong spot quite a bit in all zones and I don't trust him to get back and be effective. Campoli is more abrasive, we agree there, but that doesn't do much good if he's out of position and he still doesn't do anything to help out in front of the net. I trust Oduya defensively far more, it's too easy to catch Campoli in a mistake and it's too easy to create a chance by attacking his side. Not that Oduya doesn't make mistakes, but Campoli makes more of the really bad ones in my opinion. I think Oduya is a better/smarter passer too.

I say Campoli is fun to watch because it looks (perception, not reality in all cases) like he's giving 110% when so often it's him covering up for a mistake and making a desperate play to recover. To his credit, he executes quite a bit. With the average and undersized guys, I'm not the biggest fan of all the gritty, grindy stuff. I'll take positioning first and foremost. As much as I liked Campoli, I didn't think his positioning was very reliable so far in his career, I'm much happier with Oduya and I think Oduya's contract will be much more cost effective compared to Campoli's.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Keep guessing, I imagine you are probably the one still in highschool judging by your hissy fit here.

We are happy we have a team that contends every year, sorry you don't see that. You aren't the first non-knowledgeable fan to think this.
I love how a fan who thinks his team is a contender because it makes the play-offs with more then half the league is calling others non-knowledgeable.

I didn't know losing in the first round two years in a row is contending.

I didn't know not filling the obvious holes is contending

I didn't realize that having a team with some of the worst special teams is contending

I didn't know being 22nd in GA is contending

I didn't know having the 3rd worst SV% in the NHL is contending.

Glad you guys are happy with having a team that is good but not good enough and only trying but failing to get better.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Who are you to judge fans as a whole.

I can say the same thing about you, you and others like you, people who I am guessing became fans of the team when Kanes goal went in don't really have any loyalty for this team, you haven't lived and died with them for years and you certainly haven't spend your hard earned money to watch them play, especially when the team was terrible and the owner didn't care about you just or the city. Their success or lack there of is meaningless, sure it's great when they do win but when they lose you don't really care and why should you, your not a true fan.

I love how some of you guys are so happy Bowman tried, it's so cute. Maybe when you high school kids get into the real world you'll find out trying means * without results. Tell your boss when you fail to finish something that you tried but just couldn't do it, see how long you keep your job, especially after more then one incident. He tried, grow up.
I'm happy that we are a contender year in year out and make the POs.
I pay a lot of money to watch every ****ing Hawks game and get up night in night out. I'm clearly not a true fan according to you

Quote:
I hear you …. and had Stan acquired him, that’s what Parise would have been. Big bucks for a great player that does not plug the gaping holes we have however. Furthermore it leaves no cap space to fill those holes.

Doan isn’t the “sexy” pick of a Parise nor does he have the talent or the youth of a Parise, but he is what we need at the moment and a perfect player to bring in for a few years while the kids develop. This is so blatantly obvious to me. A player like him doesn’t come around every day, and though in his twilight years, I think he has a lot of hockey left in him. But I’m through repeating myself.
you know what Doan is asking for? If the rumors are true... Bowman better is not the guy that offers him this out of desperation. I hope the Wings will do this

Quote:

I didn't know

I didn't know

I didn't realize

I didn't know

I didn't know .
I didn't know that you have never seen Quint playing a game or having Passmore in net. I'm pretty sure you would not have get up at 2 AM to watch a lousy stream to see those guys play. I did it a few times... ahh, the good old days with those guys or a bit later with Arkhipov and Williams

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I pay a lot of money to watch every ****ing Hawks game and get up night in night out. I'm clearly not a true fan according to you

you know what Doan is asking for? If the rumors are true... Bowman better is not the guy that offers him this out of desperation. I hope the Wings will do this

I didn't know that you have never seen Quint playing a game or having Passmore in net. I'm pretty sure you would not have get up at 2 AM to watch a lousy stream to see those guys play. I did it a few times... ahh, the good old days with those guys or a bit later with Arkhipov and Williams
No I was forking over the money for season tickets when the team was finishing t the bottom of the league for several seasons in a row.

Be happy that this team is contending but don't be satisfied with just that.

I don't get how so many "fans" are content with a team that is good but not good enough and not making the required moves to get good enough.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

because we are not chicken littles and can think before we say something???

there just isn't available what we need and giving up our future for a guy that won't push us over the top is not worth it.

BTW, Stan has had good experience when he was standing pat. He could have dealt a Top9 Player + futures for Vokoun and make the summer even worse. He gave the unproven rookie a chance and it paid off with a Cup Win

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
We are happy we have a team that contends every year, sorry you don't see that. You aren't the first non-knowledgeable fan to think this.
The Hawks not only aren't even close to true contenders, they may well be the easiest team in the entire league to play against.

This team, as built, is going nowhere. It's the exact opposite of how you build a winner. Poor center depth, poor special teams, poor goaltending, and beyond poor physicality. Time's ticking away on our window while Stan blinks happily looking for the next Brunette or Morrison to plug into the gaps left by Byfuglien and Ladd, refusing to acknowledge that the gutted elements of the core have never been properly replaced.

But hey, since first round losses seem to indicate contender to you, I guess we're right on the verge!

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

there just isn't available what we need and giving up our future for a guy that won't push us over the top is not worth it.

BTW, Stan has had good experience when he was standing pat. He could have dealt a Top9 Player + futures for Vokoun and make the summer even worse. He gave the unproven rookie a chance and it paid off with a Cup Win
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

Vokoun went for a 7th rounder, not a top 9 player and futures.

Sure when you fabricate every trade into something it wasn't you can make it all look worse and much better that Bowman did nothing. But in the real world that's not the case.

Old
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:

I don't believe that number for a second. It came from an unknown"source" several weeks ago and several media types continue to repeat it. When I said Stan needs to be flexible to get er done, I think that flexibility might mean going to a 3 or possibly 4 year deal. Its a risk but that's what life as a GM is all about. IMO, the risk would be minimal as Doan would be effective in a bottom 6 role as he creeps toward 40.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:02 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
The Hawks not only aren't even close to true contenders, they may well be the easiest team in the entire league to play against.
Easiest team to play against? Look at all the holes around the rest of the league. How many rosters are that much better to say they have a significant edge over the Hawks?

Old
07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

Vokoun went for a 7th rounder, not a top 9 player and futures.

Sure when you fabricate every trade into something it wasn't you can make it all look worse and much better that Bowman did nothing. But in the real world that's not the case.
No, he was talking about 2010 before the deadline after the Barker trade. Florida was willing to move Vokoun and many people were speculating that Chicago was among the interested parties. Reports (other than the blog clowns) were reporting rumors that Chicago and Florida were talking about a trade since Huet and Niemi were playing hot potato with the starting job. I've never heard the rumor confirmed though but I believed it based on some local interviews and answers to some of the questions about the goalie mess at the time. They were poking around other goalies at the time too.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:

Fantastic, let's give Stan credit for the Cup won by the team he had zero responsibility in assembling.

He has awful experience standing pat, leading a team with plenty of talent already on the roster (but not enough to win) to back-to-back first round exits. Hail Bowman!

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
No, he was talking about 2010 before the deadline after the Barker trade. Florida was willing to move Vokoun and many people were speculating that Chicago was among the interested parties. Reports (other than the blog clowns) were reporting rumors that Chicago and Florida were talking about a trade since Huet and Niemi were playing hot potato with the starting job. I've never heard the rumor confirmed though but I believed it based on some local interviews and answers to some of the questions about the goalie mess at the time. They were poking around other goalies at the time too.
He is clearly talking about this year, that's why the line starts he could have made the summer worse, he is talking about the off-season.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Easiest team to play against? Look at all the holes around the rest of the league. How many rosters are that much better to say they have a significant edge over the Hawks?
Are you kidding? Teams love playing against us. No worries whatsoever about getting caught with their head down, and a game plan to dominate the board play cover the passing lanes, and things should fall into place nicely.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
I didn't say the worst team, I said the easiest to play against. The Hawks do absolutely nothing to make the game hard for the opposition. They can do whatever they want. Take a penalty? No prob, Hawks never score on the PP. Clutch draw time? Sure, np, Toews can't take every draw. Only one center to be afraid of too. And run around and chirp all day, take some cheap shots, plant yourself right on the goalie's face, its not like anyone on the Hawks will object. Need that clutch goal? No prob, Crawford will find the worst time of the game to let it in.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
I didn't say the worst team, I said the easiest to play against. The Hawks do absolutely nothing to make the game hard for the opposition. They can do whatever they want. Take a penalty? No prob, Hawks never score on the PP. Clutch draw time? Sure, np, Toews can't take every draw. Only one center to be afraid of too. And run around and chirp all day, take some cheap shots, plant yourself right on the goalie's face, its not like anyone on the Hawks will object. Need that clutch goal? No prob, Crawford will find the worst time of the game to let it in.
I think teams would much rather play the 2006 Hawks (the last Chicago team to deter anybody from making a run at somebody) than the 2012 Hawks. I think teams like winning more than avoiding a few hits.

I get the frustration but they still had 101 pts. It's not like they're a soft 88pt team (08) or something like that.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Are you kidding? Teams love playing against us. No worries whatsoever about getting caught with their head down, and a game plan to dominate the board play cover the passing lanes, and things should fall into place nicely.
Don't forget about no worry in taking penalties, hell best plan against the Hawks get the lead then put them on the PP for the rest of the game, guaranteed victory.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Hawkaholic

Yup, we are so easy to play against that we lost every single game this season, no one ever laid anybody out, and nobody fought anyone after a cheap shot. We are such a lousy team that everyone pads their stats against us, the world is coming to an end because Bowman didn't get a 3rd line scrub for 5mil.

You people aren't Hawk fans no matter how much you claim you are. Go cheer for the BJ's, or Leafs, they are much tougher than Chicago.

You know posts fail when real NHLers say its tough to play against the Hawks because they are a GOOD TEAM. You guys are ridiculous.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Hawks don't even come out smokin' in the 1st period in their own building in crucial games. Creampuffs, easy to coach against. The only way they succeed is with outstanding individual games, lacking that, it's easy-peasy.

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Yup, we are so easy to play against that we lost every single game this season, no one ever laid anybody out, and nobody fought anyone after a cheap shot. We are such a lousy team that everyone pads their stats against us, the world is coming to an end because Bowman didn't get a 3rd line scrub for 5mil.

You people aren't Hawk fans no matter how much you claim you are. Go cheer for the BJ's, or Leafs, they are much tougher than Chicago.

You know posts fail when real NHLers say its tough to play against the Hawks because they are a GOOD TEAM. You guys are ridiculous.
Yeah we aren't Hawks fans because we demand our team actually try to improve and aren't happy with a team that just get's into the play-offs.

You guys are the REAL FANS! happy with a team that isn't good enough to win a Cup but better then half the league so they get into the play-offs. Happy with a GM that has done nothing to improve a team that has gone out of the first round the last 2 years and happy that his team do nothing and just hope to win.

Oh you guys are the true definition of a fans.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Yeah we aren't Hawks fans because we demand our team actually try to improve and aren't happy with a team that just get's into the play-offs.

You guys are the REAL FANS! happy with a team that isn't good enough to win a Cup but better then half the league so they get into the play-offs. Happy with a GM that has done nothing to improve a team that has gone out of the first round the last 2 years and happy that his team do nothing and just hope to win.

Oh you guys are the true definition of a fans.
Or we don't see the doom and gloom and dont see the sky falling. With a couple mid-range moves and improvement within, this team is a definite contender. People who constantly ***** and never have anything good to say, should gtfo.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:10 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
The Hawks don't even come out smokin' in the 1st period in their own building in crucial games. Creampuffs, easy to coach against. The only way they succeed is with outstanding individual games, lacking that, it's easy-peasy.
And somehow 38 times nobody got a point off of them last year. I'm frustrated too, but they still have some real good assets and 101pts after dealing with some very correctable issues. They'll still be in a position to buy.

There are a bunch of moving parts. Few teams in the west are sitting much better off. Detroit is full of questions, Vancouver has issues, LA has Sutter, Nashville lost some pieces, STL is swapping out two vets for rookies, SJ might implode, nobody in the NW (except Van) is a sure thing to snag a playoff spot, PHX is a mess (said that before though), Dallas needs depth all over, ANA has a bunch of issues, and CLB is CLB.

I'm just not ready for the ledge. It's still only July. If they don't find a solution to a couple areas by the AS break, I'll start to panic a little.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Or we don't see the doom and gloom and dont see the sky falling. With a couple mid-range moves and improvement within, this team is a definite contender. People who constantly ***** and never have anything good to say, should gtfo.
I'm sorry that we aren't the mindless cheerleaders you want us to be.

I'm sorry that we are the ones not living in your fantasy world where a team that lost in the first round two years in a row and changes next to nothing about the team won't have a magical turnaround and suddenly get much better.

I'm sorry that we are being realistic about the Hawks and who they are and what they can do.

We'll try to be a little more fake about the Hawks so we don't hurt your guys feelings.