HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres make bid on "Webster" property

Old
07-29-2012, 12:09 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
I know thats what the proposals are but my point is, Pegula's plan doesn't have to go on the Webster block. It can go elsewhere an yes, there's more than enough room for it on that piece next to the water when you trim down his project to just the rinks portion. It would be ideal to do both plans. In order to get both, you gotta support Paladino's here.
Couple of points

1) There is no AVAILABLE land for Pegula's plan thats on the water and by the arena. All that land is either for the Metro rail tracks/maintenance building or for the current waterfront projects being built. The land available is the Webster block. No sure why you think there is land there for him to build on.

2) Pegula's project is about developing a unique destination and part of that is having two rinks located on the 7th floor of his project. Thats not something that can be "scaled down to just the rinks". You don't seem to understand that Pegula's plan isn't just about adding two rinks with a hotel. Its about creating a unique destination.

3) You can't reduce Pegula's plan to just two rinks and claim thats getting both projects. His project is far beyond just building two rinks.

The bottom line is its one of the other. Both is not an option.

And no I don't have to support Paladino. He needs to clean up the messes that are many of his other properties. Including a HUGE eyesore not far from the arena on Scott street. A multi-story building thats been vacant for years and has been used by Paladino for billboards he puts up to criticize his enemies or folks he doesn't like. It can be seen by motorist passing by on the 190.

EDIT: I'm also not a fan of adding even more office space (which Paladino's plan does and Pegula's does not) to the city when it has low occupancy rates as it is for its current office space.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-29-2012 at 12:45 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I just looked at an overhead map and there's no where near enough room between the arena and the water. And then there's the metro rail tracks that go to the service station. Not really sure what piece you're talking about. I'll take Pegula's plan for Webster, FTW. It brings more people down to Canal side right where you want them. Carl can spend his money fixing all the properties he's been ignoring first.
The guy makes his money speculating on what will become gov't developments and then criticizes the gov't for making him his money. It's a fascinating method of earning his millions.
As for having both, having some greenspace and such is pretty cool next to the water. Heck, who knows, the HSBC Atrium building might be vacant sooner rather than later so it could be redeveloped into something that doesn't have structural issues and has a use.

07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
I know thats what the proposals are but my point is, Pegula's plan doesn't have to go on the Webster block. It can go elsewhere an yes, there's more than enough room for it on that piece next to the water when you trim down his project to just the rinks portion. It would be ideal to do both plans. In order to get both, you gotta support Paladino's here.

I've got no rooting interest in this. But, just wondering, If Pegula could move his plan why couldn't Paladino?

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:21 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Paladino's is "inspired by history" which means they win. Buffalo hates change.
Buffalo refuses to change. They act like they still be were in the 1950's. Way to many repetitive services, way to much local government and not nearly enough willingness to do what it takes to encoruage private investment.

With Buffalo's water front, its proximity to Canada and a great leadership the city could really start heading in the right direction. However, we never have seen great leadership.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Freezerburn

Having a quality hotel associated with the arena would be great and a significant source of income I would imagine. As a bit of an out of towner I know I'd take advantage of ticket/room packages. It would make attending games more of an 'experience' for out of town and visitor fans--even the visiting teams themselves.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
Having a quality hotel associated with the arena would be great and a significant source of income I would imagine. As a bit of an out of towner I know I'd take advantage of ticket/room packages. It would make attending games more of an 'experience' for out of town and visitor fans--even the visiting teams themselves.
You're a perfect example of why the Sabres' proposal is the better one. The amount of tournaments this could bring in, as well as out of town fans, would be a great injection of money into the local economy. It will also better the experience for those fans. Heck I love the idea of the large Sabres-themed restaurant as it would make for a great go between for Party in the Plaza goers.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

It makes it a better destination than the Pepsi Center for youth travel tourneys.

Easier to wrangle kids into an elevator than onto a bus for a 10 minute ride.

Three rinks in two city blocks is huge.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
It makes it a better destination than the Pepsi Center for youth travel tourneys.

Easier to wrangle kids into an elevator than onto a bus for a 10 minute ride.

Three rinks in two city blocks is huge.
Considering the Canalside "canal" will also feature winter skating as part of the park access in the old Aud location, they will have something else to do on skates within a block of the site too.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Husko

Don't forget the prospect of that being a home arena for Canisius. I'd be in love

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Don't forget the prospect of that being a home arena for Canisius. I'd be in love
Well they also announced a 12U Sabres team which I would imagine would call one of those two rinks home as well. Pegula was also trying to buy the arena down in Elmira for the Jackals of the ECHL. I could see him making a ECHL team in Buffalo and putting it in there.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac99 View Post
Well they also announced a 12U Sabres team which I would imagine would call one of those two rinks home as well. Pegula was also trying to buy the arena down in Elmira for the Jackals of the ECHL. I could see him making a ECHL team in Buffalo and putting it in there.
I think the 12U team is just something being put together one-time for a tournament, not a long-term ongoing thing, but I could be mistaken. An ECHL team intrigues me, as would an OHL team.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Paladino is such a troll I don't want him touching any project.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:43 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I sincerey hope the people in favor of the Pegula project are writing in to comment like they have here. All great points.

As for me, I don't see how there's room for both.

Paladino has a ****** record for development and has enough on his plate without another lot.

Pegula has been nothing but amazing in terms of development. The arena was done quickly, and a lot of the grassy area near the arena was sodded with Pegula bucks. I'd love to see what he does with more room.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
I sincerey hope the people in favor of the Pegula project are writing in to comment like they have here. All great points.

As for me, I don't see how there's room for both.

Paladino has a ****** record for development and has enough on his plate without another lot.

Pegula has been nothing but amazing in terms of development. The arena was done quickly, and a lot of the grassy area near the arena was sodded with Pegula bucks. I'd love to see what he does with more room.
Same here...I want Pegula doing this project...Is there anyway for us to support this in anyway? Petition,etc...?

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Beau Fleuve

Send a message via AIM to Beau Fleuve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Same here...I want Pegula doing this project...Is there anyway for us to support this in anyway? Petition,etc...?
e-mail the city at - WebsterBlockRFP@city-buffalo.com

also, the full Sabres presentation can be seen at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24280948

Last edited by Beau Fleuve: 07-31-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: to add link for proposal presentation
Beau Fleuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow... I just watched both presentations and one guy who I hope doesn't get a vote in the process is clearly bias against the Sabres proposal ... he was an ass basically....and praised the Paladino one.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote