HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Recruiting

Old
07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Ryan Hillier to SMU

In today's Halifax Metro, Matthew Wuest has a story on former Halifax Moosehead star Ryan Hillier leaving the minor pros and being accepted to Saint Mary's (apparently he "committed" back in January).

Bit surprised by one of Matthew's lines:

Quote:
Hillier is the highlight of what is a thin recruiting class for the Huskies.
Maybe he should have added "... so far" as we know many teams haven't announced all of their recruits yet.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Maybe he should have added "... so far" as we know many teams haven't announced all of their recruits yet.
Ya there is (was?) an article on the SMU athletic site about it too. But I was thinking the same as Wuest, then I remembered Hillier. Probably because of the six known recruits, ( not including Hillier ) three of them are Junior A Tier II, and that is a change for Trevor for the most part. However, one guy is from the ECHL too, that along with Hillier gives them two ex pros. There is a Guelph Storm guy to round it out. Once you look at it, it is not exactly thin, perhaps he was looking at something else, not the list on this thread.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Andy Blanke from Swift Current has decided to end his 3 year career with his hometown WHL Broncos and forgo his 20 yr old season to attend USask and play for the Huskies.
When a player leaves a major junior team, does he still get his scholarship money?

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
When a player leaves a major junior team, does he still get his scholarship money?
good question, does anyone have the handbook? I know that for most that a year played = a years school. Some get golden contracts covering the entire 4 year program just to sign and stay away from JrA. Could be that Andy wasn't in the Broncos plans this year and feelers around the league found no takers for a 20 year old with over 160 penalty minutes last season. Because he is a hometown Swift Current kid I doubt the Broncos will try to short change him on his 3 years.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Yes, he gets his money - the question is 'how much'. The teams no longer manage the scholarship part - the leagues does it now. The teams just pay their part. Too many variations in what was being offered and issues around teams moving/new ownership/folding.

I believe the general rule is 1 for 1, but teams may have the option to top-up a 3-year player to 4 - this is guess-work in my part.

It's all moot if he hasn't maintained his education. This is the 'gotcha' - you have to finish high school and take Distance Ed courses to maintain your eligibility for the scholarship program.

A player from the Q is suing the league saying it was too hard to take classes locally, because he was traded twice, and distance ed was hard because he was moving around so much (multiple apartments).

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:29 AM
SnipeShow91

Queen's Gaels announce their recruiting class for next season.

http://www.gogaelsgo.com/news/2012/7...720122307.aspx

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Fan of the Vreds

STU picks up goalie Joe Groenheyde from Swift Current and D-Man Matthew Hobbs from Victoriaville.

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:56 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
STU picks up goalie Joe Groenheyde from Swift Current and D-Man Matthew Hobbs from Victoriaville.
"Jon" Groenhyde, big goalie, mostly a backup during his career until last season, from the west coast hockey hotbed, Semiahmoo BC

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:24 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
"Jon" Groenhyde, big goalie, mostly a backup during his career until last season, from the west coast hockey hotbed, Semiahmoo BC
had a pretty good year in SC. I remember seeing him in Brandon this winter a couple of times. Was on a weak team there but he played well both times we were at the WheatKings/Bronco games.
He is going to Fredericton NB...does he know it is not UNB? A BC guy might get it confused?

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:22 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Not recruiting but Kris Belan (Guelph) and Kevin Baker (Western) have signed with the ECHL's San Francisco Bulls, an expansion team.

http://sfbulls.com/team/roster/

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:33 PM
thook

Once again lakehead is losing a key piece of their offense this season. This time it is Ryan McDonald leaving the team for personal reasons. He has been a point a game guy for LU even while he has had some injury issues.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:44 PM
nosl

Lakers add SIJHL MVP, more on the way
http://www.nugget.ca/2012/07/27/lake...ore-on-the-way

Byron Katapaytuk - Fort Frances (SIJHL)
85 points (52 games)

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post

85 points (52 games)

I was able to see byron play during his time in the SIJHL I am not sure how he will transition to the CIS game but I wish him the best!

That article states that AUS operates under different guidelines with more money available.

is there anyone who has the knowledge that can expand on this? seems to me if you compete for a national championship it should be standardized across the country!

Old
07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
I was able to see byron play during his time in the SIJHL I am not sure how he will transition to the CIS game but I wish him the best!

That article states that AUS operates under different guidelines with more money available.

is there anyone who has the knowledge that can expand on this? seems to me if you compete for a national championship it should be standardized across the country!
Ontario fought scholarships tooth and nail and only relented when the CIS would have otherwise fallen apart. So now each conference sets their own rules. Ontario is free to change their regulations any time they want!

BTW, not all NCAA conferences have the same rules, either.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post

85 points (52 games)
Surprised Clarkson is leaving. Thats a big hole for Nipissing to lose. Wasn't a huge fan of his. Before the 3rd period of Ottawa/Nip in Game 1, him and another player were focusing on the skirts in the stands rather than rallying the troops to come back and win.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:52 PM
thook

Quote:
Ontario fought scholarships tooth and nail and only relented when the CIS would have otherwise fallen apart. So now each conference sets their own rules. Ontario is free to change their regulations any time they want!

BTW, not all NCAA conferences have the same rules, either.
That seems ridiculous to me! Unfortunately I am nobody! No wonder the oua is weaker in hockey! I would live to see a standardized set of rules across the country! On the ice and off the ice.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Evan Vossen (McGill) and Ryan Green (Windsor) have signed with the Stockton Thunder, Edmonton's ECHL affiliate.

http://www.echl.com/thunder-add-pair-of-rookies-p178486

Old
07-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:

The CIS has a standard policy that sets the maximum financial award to an Athlete as "tuition and compulsory fees". There is no requirement for a school, or conference, to offer financial awards to athletes if they so choose.

As Hollywood said, Ontario was not a big supporter of scholarships.

The 2010/11 Awards Stats from the CIS has each school offering scholarships (no breakdown as to which sports) and that 53% of all hockey players received financial awards (no breakdown as to which school). So, it's safe to assume that OUA teams are spending some money, but I would guess it's not on as many players as the West or AUS when it comes to Hockey.

Interesting story at this MacLeans link on this topic

Full Ride Athletic Scholarships Still on Hold

"Schools in the Maritime (Atlantic University Sport) conference operate under different guidelines, with more financial resources available" - not sure what he means as no school can exceed Tuition and Fees as a scholarship. This might be a subtle shot at what some call 'Athletic Awards' in which an athlete can receive additional financial assistance as a result of winning/selected for an award (Team MVP, XYZ Memorial Award, etc).

Last edited by Drummer: 07-27-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
That seems ridiculous to me! Unfortunately I am nobody! No wonder the oua is weaker in hockey! I would live to see a standardized set of rules across the country! On the ice and off the ice.
I don't believe that they count CHL scholarships in the CIS stats because that money goes to the player and he can use it anywhere he wants. So for teams like Manitoba that means there are not a lot of guys even looking for scholarship money.

Old
07-28-2012, 12:31 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Add Justin Bowers (former STU), Jordan Clendenning (UNB), and Dean Ouellet (UdeM) to the list of CIS players going to the ECHL...all 3 have signed with the expansion San Francisco Bulls, who are affiliated with San Jose.

http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...d=26&nid=12409

Old
07-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Dman Cody Carlson (Prince George) has committed to the University of Calgary

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:26 PM
SnipeShow91

Interview with RMC head coach Adam Shell about some of our new faces coming into RMC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhOSR...ature=youtu.be

Old
07-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Interview with RMC head coach Adam Shell about some of our new faces coming into RMC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhOSR...ature=youtu.be
Cooper-alls?

Old
07-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Mt. Royal Announces 11 Recruits

not a bad list of recruits for first year CIS Canada West team Mt. Royal Cougars. The list includes 4 WHL grads along with 7 others who played Junior A in Western Canada.

http://www.mtroyal.ca/CampusServices...ecruitscanwest

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Regina adds Manitoba player

Winnipeg Bllues (MJHL) graduate Paul Bonar has committed to the U of Regina.

http://mjhlhockey.ca/component/conte...air-to-college

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote