HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: We're doing 65, so we should be there in a billion years...

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 06:02 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Lots of reports that the new Leafs ownership partnership desperatly wants the Leafs in the playoffs. I wonder if that will force Burke to up the ante for Luongo? Leafs have been very quiet this summer.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Is it me or is every prospect the Panthers have considered their "top prospect"?

Canucks Fan: "Oh how about ______ + ______ for Luongo"

Panther Fan: "oh no he is our top prospect, Tallon won't give up his top prospect"
I like the one about Goc...how we cant give him up with our 6th best prospect and Goc because he's our #2 center?

haha.

A number 2 center who on most teams isn't a number 3.

I still can't get an answer, whether Kulikov is available. He would be an excellent get...He's also not "rare" or "a player we've never had one like".

I just think its funny - Bjugstad is a good prospect...he's in no way a sure thing, yet Panthers fans (and now some Canuck fans) think this guy is Mario Lemieux, its a bloody joke.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:22 PM
KISSland

I would fangirl if we got Kulikov. The guy would instantly replace Ehrhoff and then some. I can see him becoming better than Letang.

I highly doubt he's available.

**** Florida has so many riches.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Not to mention first round picks! Some on these boards wouldn't give up a first round pick for Malkin or Crosby or ovechkin or etc....
I think people on here really do view prospects as realized talent. For example, Bjugstad is already a 1st line C tearing up the league. Of course that will negatively impact trade conversation.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:29 PM
hilib

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
For those of you who would trade Luongo for this Nick Bjugstad character (something that seems to be off the table), how exactly would this trade help us now? As mentioned, isn't he somebody that would make an impact 2-3 years down the road?

But I guess you'd make that trade to keep the future bright...? Or because nothing Florida has on their roster right now would be an upgrade on ours?
You do it for two reasons. One, you need to always keep an eye on the future, even if you are trying to win now, and two, cap space can help us now, as can a happy locker room.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
For those of you who would trade Luongo for this Nick Bjugstad character (something that seems to be off the table), how exactly would this trade help us now? As mentioned, isn't he somebody that would make an impact 2-3 years down the road?
Probably doesn't. But that isn't necessarily Gillis's goal. I still don't believe that he views "the window" the same way the fans do.

For example... how did trading Hodgson for Kassian at the trade deadline help the team now?

Old
07-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Lots of reports that the new Leafs ownership partnership desperatly wants the Leafs in the playoffs. I wonder if that will force Burke to up the ante for Luongo? Leafs have been very quiet this summer.
which reports

Old
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
**** Florida has so many riches.
This is funny. If all Florida's many prospects reach their ceiling they might be as good as the Canucks are now.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:34 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Probably doesn't. But that isn't necessarily Gillis's goal. I still don't believe that he views "the window" the same way the fans do.

For example... how did trading Hodgson for Kassian at the trade deadline help the team now?
Balancing act.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
This is funny. If all Florida's many prospects reach their ceiling they might be as good as the Canucks are now.
Oh we don't need that stop gap, Markstrom is going to be starting in 3 years & would push Luongo out.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:45 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
which reports
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...rs-bell-regime

Quote:
MLSE sale: Wins expected to matter under new Rogers, Bell regime
Quote:
“Previous owners said they wanted to put winning teams out there. That was the one thing they’ve never done,” said Powers. “Under the new ownership structure, there’s a lot of incentive (to win).

“Winning teams increase viewership. That’s what drives their bottom line.”
Quote:
“Under the Teachers’ pension plan, this was an investment to generate resources to pay their pension,” said O’Reilly. “Now you have a syndicate of owners all that have vested interest in the teams being more successful.”
Quote:
“The deal bought Burke another year. If they (the Leafs) don’t make the playoffs this year, you know his head’s going to go.”

Old
07-31-2012, 09:20 PM
ProstheticConscience
WWIII

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
Exactly! I'm starting to think Mason Raymond has more value than Kadri
Blasphemy! Obviously someone with 19 points in 51 NHL games has a lot more value than someone who's hit 25 goals in one season! Don't make me get the Leafs fans over to tell you all about that.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think people on here really do view prospects as realized talent. For example, Bjugstad is already a 1st line C tearing up the league. Of course that will negatively impact trade conversation.
It's more than just fans that value top prospects, it's the GM's as well. There's a reason Bjugstad is apparently the sticking point and Tallon won't let him go.

How many 30 + year olds did the Canucks have on their list of players they would accept in return for Cody Hodgson?

I would take Bolland and Hjalmarsson for Luongo in a heartbeat. That's an excellent deal for us.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
yeah but the guy saying all that is the "assistant dean at the Rotman School of Business at the University of Toronto"

i'm not going to go out on a limb and say he's not intimately connected with the thought processes of a heartless megacorp but im gonna say hes probably not intimately connected with the thought processes of a heartless megacorp

i guess can always hope, though.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
yeah but the guy saying all that is the "assistant dean at the Rotman School of Business at the University of Toronto"

i'm not going to go out on a limb and say he's not intimately connected with the thought processes of a heartless megacorp but im gonna say hes probably not intimately connected with the thought processes of a heartless megacorp

i guess can always hope, though.
The logic is sound though. The OTPF was more concerned with returns and keeping the status quo, the Rogers/Bell partnership will be driven by viewership, which will be greatly enhanced by wins.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:

But I guess you'd make that trade to keep the future bright...? Or because nothing Florida has on their roster right now would be an upgrade on ours?
For me personally, Bjugstad is a guy that I followed (a little bit) a couple seasons ago. He was just a prospect with that rare combo of size and skill, a 6'5 guy is gonna get my attention, especially back in summer 2011, right after the Boston thing. And then the next season Bjugstad came out puting up points big time in college. So I was dreaming about adding him to the team then. I never thought it had a chance of coming true, but now that there might be a chance it's pretty cool. It feels like fate almost.

But yeah I think it's a move for the future, for sure.

*Similar thing actually happened with Kassian. Buffalo was one of the teams I happened to be watching a bunch of games of at the start of the season. One game they played this kid who looked huge compared to grown men, and he was hitting guys really hard, I thought "that's the kind of guy the Canucks need."

Old
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
MrCanuck

According to CBS Sports in an article dated today, Florida has the best odds of landing Luongo at 3 to 1.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...de-sweepstakes

Old
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
KISSland

Should put those odds on bodog.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
It's more than just fans that value top prospects, it's the GM's as well. There's a reason Bjugstad is apparently the sticking point and Tallon won't let him go.

How many 30 + year olds did the Canucks have on their list of players they would accept in return for Cody Hodgson?
are you saying that you wouldn't have taken vanek or roy for hodgson? how about hossa or sharp? i think gillis was after a particular type of player, and the only power forwards he was going to get with his bargaining chip were young ones that weren't established yet.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
are you saying that you wouldn't have taken vanek or roy for hodgson? how about hossa or sharp? i think gillis was after a particular type of player, and the only power forwards he was going to get with his bargaining chip were young ones that weren't established yet.
Roy isn't that great. Definitely shouldn't be using him as an example

Old
07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

I would take Bolland and Hjalmarsson for Luongo in a heartbeat. That's an excellent deal for us.
So another 3rd line center (at least he's a really good one this time) and someone who would be the most overpaid 3rd pairing/7th defenseman in the league?

07-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So another 3rd line center (at least he's a really good one this time) and someone who would be the most overpaid 3rd pairing/7th defenseman in the league?
You want secondary scoring in the playoffs, yet aren't interested in Dave Bolland? Does not compute... The guy has 37 points in 49 playoff games - good for a 62P/82G pace. Never mind the fact defense is his greatest attribute and he produces while playing against the opposition's best players.

Hjalmarsson wouldn't even be the most overpaid bottom pairing defenseman on his own team.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:33 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
"Sup guys!"

Old
07-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
the only power forwards he was going to get with his bargaining chip were young ones that weren't established yet.
Exactly. It costs a lot more than Cody Hodgson to land an established power forward.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:43 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
You want secondary scoring in the playoffs, yet aren't interested in Dave Bolland? Does not compute... The guy has 37 points in 49 playoff games - good for a 62P/82G pace. Never mind the fact defense is his greatest attribute and he produces while playing against the opposition's best players.

Hjalmarsson wouldn't even be the most overpaid bottom pairing defenseman on his own team.
Bolland is a nice piece, but how does he perform when he's not playing against the Sedins? I think his offensive numbers dip a bit (playoff numbers). He's still a nice luxury.

I don't know if I prefer Hjalmarsson over Ballard, but having them both on the bottom pairing and forcing one to play out of position doesn't sound like a good move to me.

Closed Thread