HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sandpaper on every line?

Old
07-31-2012, 08:53 PM
The Real

vCash: 500
Sandpaper on every line?

Just looking at the roster, does anyone get the feeling that they are going to try to put some sort of agitator/grit on every line? I think Foligno, Tropp, Ott and Kaleta are all going to be on the roster come opening night. Foligno plays with Ennis and Stafford, but how do the other three work out?

I'd personally love to see Girgensons make it out of camp and play with Ott and Gerbe. From what I've read about him he seems to play with a ton of heart and gives you 100% all the time. I follow him on twitter and I really like his attitude. Seems to work hard, train hard and has a commitment to making this team.

That leaves Vanek, Pominville, Gerbe, Tropp, Ellis, Hodgson and Leino. I'm curious how the lines look with no moves on opening night.

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
Gerbe-Girgenson-Ott
Kaleta-Ellis-Leino

That puts a player with sandpaper on every line and completely changes the way the Sabres look since the lockout. Not sure that will all work that way but I'd love to see that sort of hockey back here in Buffalo.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

If you're gonna play Leino on the fourth line buy him out or bury his contract. If you're gonna pay him to play a million a minute on I've per night you're better off just paying him to do nothing an getting his cap hit down.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Bosswally

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
Gerbe-Girgenson-Ott
Kaleta-Ellis-Leino

That puts a player with sandpaper on every line and completely changes the way the Sabres look since the lockout. Not sure that will all work that way but I'd love to see that sort of hockey back here in Buffalo.

ya you forgot Pomers

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

now if Girgs makes the team that mixes everything up

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:20 PM
McTank

This isnt the first time someone forgotten our CAPTAIN

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I'm not sure there is room for Tropp anymore. Since he can be safely put in Rochester I think that's where he'll start until injuries pile up.

Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-???-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
Ellis-Scott

or...

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Kaleta
Gerbe-McCormick-Tropp
Ellis-Scott

or...

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
Ellis-Scott

or...

just kidding.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:40 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'm not sure there is room for Tropp anymore. Since he can be safely put in Rochester I think that's where he'll start until injuries pile up.

Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-???-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
Ellis-Scott

or...

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Kaleta
Gerbe-McCormick-Tropp
Ellis-Scott

or...

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
Ellis-Scott

or...

just kidding.
I wonder if Gerbe could play rw with Leino and Ott?

sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:41 PM
McTank

Anyone wanna give adam another shot with the big boys?

Vanek-CoHo-Adam
Foligno-EnZo-Stafford
Leino-Ott-Pominville
Gerbe-XXX-Kaleta

Old
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Not only can I not see Tropp on our #1 line, but I agree with above poster that he may not even make the roster

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Anyone wanna give adam another shot with the big boys?

Vanek-CoHo-Adam
Foligno-EnZo-Stafford
Leino-Ott-Pominville
Gerbe-XXX-Kaleta
No - leave in Ra Cha or trade him

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:10 PM
The Real

A couple of things I totally missed. I have praised Pominville's play last year to every person I know this summer. Silly of me to forget him. Finding a two way spot for him in the line up is important. He really is an unsung hero for the roster and deserves far more credit for his role.

I don't see how Tropp doesn't make this team. Lindy has mentioned him by name in 3 interviews this summer and about what he brings to the team. I take Ruff at his word and I don't believe he'd blow smoke on a player like him if he didn't see him on the roster. I am a big fan of his energy and I'm pretty hopeful he makes the team.

To the point about Leino being cut if he is on the 4th line, ok. I've hated the signing since the day it happened and can't wait to rid him from the Sabres. Even if he has a bounce back season it will be for 40 pts. I just can't see how that guy deserves half of his salary or to be on this roster. In one of his interviews right after the season he talked about how he has a tough time getting up for games in the first half of the season. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Maybe the giant paycheck should be motivation.

I think Pominville has to be on the top line with Vanek and Hodgson so I will have to rethink my strategy about maximizing toughness on the ice.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Just looking at the roster, does anyone get the feeling that they are going to try to put some sort of agitator/grit on every line?
That could be the model they try at the start of the season but the odds are pretty good that as soon as the Sabres hit a scoring slump - which they're bound to do - Ruff will try to put his scorers on one line to shake some goals out of the tree.

Similarly, I can see Ruff trying to team McCormick-Kaleta-Ott with the sole purpose of disturbing the other team - he's often gone that route with a 4th line of grinders.

Quote:
I think Pominville has to be on the top line with Vanek and Hodgson so I will have to rethink my strategy about maximizing toughness on the ice.
I expect to see that trio at some point this season - but I'm not sure how effective they will be. Vanek and Pominville will hopefully repeat their chemistry of last season, and we saw some connection between Hodgson and Pominville. But I'm not sure the line will be that good on the forecheck or gaining puck possession in the offensive zone. Personally, I hope Ott lands with Vanek and Hodgson - he'll be a good retriever / agitator to force turnovers, which Hodgson-Vanek will hopefully convert on.

Last edited by Sabretip: 08-01-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

If the goal is to spread out the tough stick Ott with Vanek and Hodgson.... He's been a 20 goal scorer a couple times... That's all he needs to be on that line. Create some space for Vanek and Hodgson, and crash the net.... I actually kinda like it.

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Girgensons-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

Old
08-01-2012, 01:47 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
If the goal is to spread out the tough stick Ott with Vanek and Hodgson

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Girgensons-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
I actually agree with this, big question mark on girgs though

Old
08-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
I actually agree with this, big question mark on girgs though
3rd line C is going to consistently be a question mark until that spot is filled... I just figure why not girgs? You could stick Leino there I guess.... But that was a failure. Ott isn't really a center anyway.

My attitude is "Why not Zemgus?"

Old
08-01-2012, 02:25 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
3rd line C is going to consistently be a question mark until that spot is filled... I just figure why not girgs? You could stick Leino there I guess.... But that was a failure. Ott isn't really a center anyway.

My attitude is "Why not Zemgus?"
If he's ready to play at the nhl level than yes why not, if he clearly isnt ready than I dont wanna rush him.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
If he's ready to play at the nhl level than yes why not, if he clearly isnt ready than I dont wanna rush him.
Agreed... But he doesn't seem like the fragile type that needs a lot of coddling.... He's got the size already, and if you gave him a job to do I think he could excel

Seems like a guy who could learn on the job without letting mistakes derail his career.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:47 AM
thekernel

i think the roy/ott trade signifies a change in direction itself

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Wisent42

Since the idea here is to spread out toughness over all four lines, and since we're toying with the idea that Girgensons makes the team, then how about this:

Vanek - Girgensons - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Ott - Hodgson - Leino
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta

That way, Girgs would get the same chance Adam got last year. His physical play could open up ice for the wingers, Vanek could be more of a sniper again instead of the power forward role he's had to take on, and Pommers actually does a lot of those things you normally ask of a center (playmaking, defence, faceoffs - was he ever tried at center?) which would help Girgs alot. It's not a true first line and they wouldn't see topline minutes. Ruff usually don't give Vanek big minutes and it's not likely that a rookie would be asked to play that much either, but that's ok because Pommers will be asked to kill penalties and take double shifts.

The third line in this theory could be a hard line to play against. Leino is good covering the puck and from what I've seen from Hodgson, he's pretty good at it to. Add Ott for toughness and faceoffs and it's a line that may not put up alot of points, but they will take energy away from the opponents.

Fourth is a checking line (of course) with the option of calling Gerbe up for other tasks if needed, and Kaleta killing penalties, unless he's already in the box two minutes for Kaletaing.

It's just an idea, but ever since the start of last season I've kinda embraced the idea that Van and Pommers don't necessarily need a 1C, but that a rookie could be put to good use (and get alot of help) between them.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:52 AM
McTank

I dont really think we can play hodgson on a third line defensive unit given why he wanted out of vancouver. My biggest worry with girgenson would be speed and just his hockey iq when it comes to defensive play. Physically he could be ready.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
I dont really think we can play hodgson on a third line defensive unit given why he wanted out of vancouver. My biggest worry with girgenson would be speed and just his hockey iq when it comes to defensive play. Physically he could be ready.
Yeah, but with Ruff as coach that's not a problem. Four minutes into the game the lines will be blown up anyway. Since Girgs is not likely to be asked to play big minutes, Hodgson would get his fair share of shifts with Pommers and Vanek. But I see your point. I also agree on Girgs, which is why I think he would benefit from playing with Pommers.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:07 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Please, elaborate, everything i`ve seen,heard,read, suggest that girgensons is pretty fast when it comes to speed and is really intelligent on defence.

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 08-01-2012 at 05:09 AM.
BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:55 AM
HiddenInLight

Lotsa people forgetting McCormick....and the fact that ott isn't a center -_-

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:58 AM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Lotsa people forgetting McCormick....and the fact that ott isn't a center -_-
Ott has been playing centre for Dallas for the last 2 seasons.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:00 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
Ott has been playing centre for Dallas for the last 2 seasons.
Wrong. He takes faceoffs then moves back to wing.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Digable5

This thread just makes me want Doan that much more. Replace Leino with Doan in any of these line combinations and they just make so much more sense.

He can add defense and toughness to the first line with Vanek and Hodgson or complete a perfect shutdown, checking 3rd line with say Ott and Girgensons. Not to say Zemgus will certainly make the team but those three together are dominant in my head.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote