HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Edler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2012, 11:47 PM
  #126
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Filppula for Edler both on expiring contracts and filling a need for the other team. Filppula + obviously.
Filppula ++ is more like it. Despite how everyone in Canuckle-land rags on about Edler, he's the closest thing to a #1 defenseman we have (when he's on his game).

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:48 PM
  #127
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Filppula for Edler both on expiring contracts and filling a need for the other team. Filppula + obviously.
Filling a hole while creating another. No thanks.

I like the Ott deal.

But like I said earlier there's no way he's moved. Just makes no sense on our part.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:50 PM
  #128
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Filppula ++ is more like it. Despite how everyone in Canuckle-land rags on about Edler, he's the closest thing to a #1 defenseman we have (when he's on his game).
How about a swap of rights next offseason when Edler is on his way out?

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
  #129
The Overseer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
How about from Toronto:


Joffrey Lupul
Jake Gardiner
+


Alexander Edler
Roberto Luongo

What would the + be?


I'm also aware both fan bases probably want to kill me after seeing the names in this
Phil Kessel

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:56 PM
  #130
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
How about a swap of rights next offseason when Edler is on his way out?
Why would Edler be on his way out of Van? He's re-signing.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:04 AM
  #131
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
How about a swap of rights next offseason when Edler is on his way out?
He's been drafted by Vancouver, developed by Vancouver, and has only played in Vancouver. As long as we don't lowball him, he's not leaving.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:04 AM
  #132
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 500
With Edler the issue is him being a UFA and you dont want to lose him without something in return.

Edler for Filppula makes sense. They are both in their final yr of their contract.

From the Dmen standpoint this would be done in combination to the trade of Luo with a the return from that in part being a top 4 D-man under contract for a few years.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:06 AM
  #133
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,699
vCash: 500
There is zero chance that the Canucks trade Edler unless it's for a better d-man coming back and there's only maybe a dozen of those in the league.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:07 AM
  #134
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
With Edler the issue is him being a UFA and you dont want to lose him without something in return.

Edler for Filppula makes sense. They are both in their final yr of their contract.

From the Dmen standpoint this would be done in combination to the trade of Luo with a the return from that in part being a top 4 D-man under contract for a few years.
You make it sound like we won't be able to re-sign him. There has been no indication that Edler wants out of Vancouver, and we will make room for his new contract. I doubt he ever makes it to free agency.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:10 AM
  #135
gsharpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Is Kulikov for Luo an option? It would make Edler for Filp++ easier to do...

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:12 AM
  #136
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
You make it sound like we won't be able to re-sign him. There has been no indication that Edler wants out of Vancouver, and we will make room for his new contract. I doubt he ever makes it to free agency.
I got no idea where it's coming from too. There's no reason for Vancouver to move him. He's too much of an important piece to this team..

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:16 AM
  #137
gsharpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Ok. Just realized the line of thought Im going down is stupid. No more trading Edler for me.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:28 AM
  #138
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Filppula for Edler both on expiring contracts and filling a need for the other team. Filppula + obviously.
Would never make a move like that. Edler's skillset and position is much tougher to find than Filppula's IMO.

For the same reason you wouldn't move Kronwall for a 50-60 point forward...

Good teams don't trade players like Edler if they want to be a perennial contender. You just can't replace his 50 points/25:00 a night.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:34 AM
  #139
asdfman
Weeeee
 
asdfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
How about a swap of rights next offseason when Edler is on his way out?


No indication that Edler will walk on Vancouver. Absolutely none

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:14 AM
  #140
Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharpe View Post
Is Kulikov for Luo an option? It would make Edler for Filp++ easier to do...
No. I don't think the Panthers would consider Kulikov for Luongo.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:16 AM
  #141
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Can Edler play the right side?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:21 AM
  #142
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
No. I don't think the Panthers would consider Kulikov for Luongo.
There's no way that's even an option for Florida. Tallon would have to be brutality manhandled by Gillis for him to flirt with that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Can Edler play the right side?
Not very well, no.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:10 AM
  #143
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
I necroed this thread, so I figured I'd clear things up. Edler is most likely going to resign with us, so this "pending a resign" would be entirely upto the team acquiring him, under the assumption he has no interest in signing here. The last bit is not super likely, unless there is something huge we're all not aware of.

Bare in mind too, being a fan favourite (largely), arguably our best defender, still being reasonably young and likely our most valuable player in a trade, any lowball offers will get flamed by our fans. Fair warning. So far that hasn't been the case, so good on you HF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I would offer Franzen or Filppula + Ian White + 1st or a solid forward prospect.
Name the prospect. Filp White and a prospect...fills part of the whole Edler would leave, a big upgrade upfront, and a pick or prospect for our trouble. Not bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megajake View Post
Edler for Clarkson+Volchenkov/Tallinder+2nd round pick
I like Clarkson, but I seem to remember Volchenkov being on the cusp of being run out of town not too too long ago. Honestly, love for Clarkson not withstanding, I like Crashman's offer better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Ottawa would offer Peter Regin, Jared Cowen and a 2013 1st but only if Edler signs with the team long-term.
Not to big on Regin. I like Cowen, he projects to be a totally different player, and the first is likely to be higher then ours (humbleness not withstanding). I think I'd politely turn down this request unless we could upgrade on Regin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
Filpula, Kindl, and a 1st rounder.
Not bad either, I like White over Kindl though. Might be just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharpe View Post
Yah. Wow. I might do that. Very interesting... How about Zibanejad, Cowen for Edler?
That I like. Unless Edler has been vocal about not being back, I don't see us moving him strictly for futures however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
How about from Toronto:


Joffrey Lupul
Jake Gardiner
+


Alexander Edler
Roberto Luongo

What would the + be?
+ would have to be substantial. Edler is worth more to us then either guy returning, and I value Gardiner above Lupul, and I wouldn't do Lupul for Lu, or Gardiner for Edler. We'd need something else in the order of a Kulemin+Lombardi or Toronto's 1st+Mac to get me to look at moving both in one package. Happy to see some valuable pieces back though, it's a start

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:57 AM
  #144
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post


No indication that Edler will walk on Vancouver. Absolutely none
Has there been any indication that he will stay? Not saying he wont but he must be noticing the ridiculous UFA contrcts being handed out these days

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:09 AM
  #145
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Has there been any indication that he will stay? Not saying he wont but he must be noticing the ridiculous UFA contrcts being handed out these days
Canucks have more than enough cap space next off-season. Malhotra's 2.5M is off the books as is Alberts 1.225M add that to Edler's 3.25M a hair under 7M. Edler seems like Salo and the rest of the Canucks core that took discounts to stay and build a better team. I'm sure he'd sign for 6.1M (same money as the Sedins) He just doesn't seem like the greedy type. All he's ever know in his pro life is the Canucks and a couple of his country men are left on this team although not as many as in the past. Not to mention pretty much everyone he's ever played with in the AHL/NHL that are in the NHL now are Canucks.


Last edited by Ched Brosky: 08-01-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:39 AM
  #146
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
+ would have to be substantial. Edler is worth more to us then either guy returning, and I value Gardiner above Lupul, and I wouldn't do Lupul for Lu, or Gardiner for Edler. We'd need something else in the order of a Kulemin+Lombardi or Toronto's 1st+Mac to get me to look at moving both in one package. Happy to see some valuable pieces back though, it's a start
You're kidding right? These aren't even close in value. Mac>Kulemin, 1st>>>>>Lombardi.

Now that Schultz is gone, Gardiner doesn't hold much value in my eyes (when compared to say Edler). The guy would be #5-6 in Vancouver next year (with Edler on the depth chart). Lupul is nice but not nice enough to land Edler, Lupul + 1st doesn't land Edler IMO.

The "+" would literally have to be rediculous (i.e. +Kessel drop Lupul) to get the deal done and I know that's not happening for a TML perspective.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:41 AM
  #147
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,922
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
How about from Toronto:


Joffrey Lupul
Jake Gardiner
+


Alexander Edler
Roberto Luongo

What would the + be?

I'm also aware both fan bases probably want to kill me after seeing the names in this
Swap Gardiner for Phaneuf + 1st + Kadri and I think this fits our needs admirably.

Top 6 winger, Garrison-Phaneuf pairing, and a replenishment of our stock pool.

The only negative is Phaneuf's cap hit, but whatever.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:33 AM
  #148
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Canucks have more than enough cap space next off-season. Malhotra's 2.5M is off the books as is Alberts 1.225M add that to Edler's 3.25M a hair under 7M. Edler seems like Salo and the rest of the Canucks core that took discounts to stay and build a better team. I'm sure he'd sign for 6.1M (same money as the Sedins) He just doesn't seem like the greedy type. All he's ever know in his pro life is the Canucks and a couple of his country men are left on this team although not as many as in the past. Not to mention pretty much everyone he's ever played with in the AHL/NHL that are in the NHL now are Canucks.
If this is the case, it surprises me that a deal isn't done for cost certainty purposes. Would make negotiating with a player like Doan a lot easier knowing the exact numbers on a more important player like Edler.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
  #149
n00bxQb
Registered User
 
n00bxQb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
How about from Toronto:


Joffrey Lupul
Jake Gardiner
+


Alexander Edler
Roberto Luongo

What would the + be?

I'm also aware both fan bases probably want to kill me after seeing the names in this
The + would be a lot more ...

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
  #150
n00bxQb
Registered User
 
n00bxQb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Can Edler play the right side?
I wouldn't recommend it.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.