HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc love

Old
07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Louis Leblanc may not have first line potential but he has a lot going for him and I think he can remain with the Habs for a number of years. I'm not the only poster who's observed his hockey intelligence. He's not going to make many mistakes. If I had to compare him to any recent Hab, I'd say Christopher Higgins, who also played an intelligent game. Like Leblanc, Higgins attended an Ivy League university (but stayed longer before turning pro). He was a first ECAC all star and had two 20 goal seasons with the Habs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
No pressure right?
Zero! No worries, I hope the media also lets him progress naturally.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:10 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
He'll be great in 2 years. In the meantime he needs to stock up and play a bit more in Hamilton. The talent is there though. He could definitely make the team this yr but not as a top 6. So I'd rather him play in the AHL and get more icetime.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:46 PM
HabsSlappy

Price

Subban
Gorges
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Emelin

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Leblanc
Eller
Collberg
Gallagher

These are the guys that we should be building around and should hold onto unless there is a big over payment.

There are others who could make a difference but these ones rise above in my opinion.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Price

Subban
Gorges
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Emelin

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Leblanc
Eller
Collberg
Gallagher

These are the guys that we should be building around and should hold onto unless there is a big over payment.

There are others who could make a difference but these ones rise above in my opinion.
Personally I would add Plekanec to that list. He's only 29. I'd be happy if he played his whole career in Montreal.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Zero! No worries, I hope the media also lets him progress naturally.
With Galy being the new offensive toy, I'd imagine they'll be slightly less pressure on them.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:10 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Personally I would add Plekanec to that list. He's only 29. I'd be happy if he played his whole career in Montreal.
I totally agree and hate seeing Habs fans make trade proposals including him. If the Canadiens can hold on to him and keep drafting and signing good Players, they will have something that winning teams have - depth

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think he looked great in his time up in the big leagues, particularly in late season. Good positioning, good speed, good hands. However, he didn't get much ice time, I think he'd be on the 4th line with the likes of Palushaj, White, players like that.

I'd rather see him dominating in Hamilton, playing 20 minutes a game on the 1st line with Brendan Gallagher and Patrick Holland. Let him simmer there. We can then call him up when injuries hit, or once we trade veterans at the deadline.
agreed buddy but once he is ready , put him on a top 6 and see what he can do

he is not a bottom 6 player, very skilled , smart with decent scoring ability

we cant just put him on a line but Blunden types and expect anything to happen

there is no way if ready , and deserving that has has to play behing anyone who is not a core for us movong forward like Gio , Bourque , etc....

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I like the Carbonneau comparison and I certainly wouldnt consider him a disappointment if he turned into a 3rd liner who plays like Carbonneau. Very early days yet to think of capping his potential. Thing Ive noticed when he is playing is he looks serious, focused and intense. Like that, he wants to play.
There is absolutely no comparison to be made with Carbonneau. Leblanc will be a good two way winger whereas Carbonneau was possibly the greatest shutdown center......EVER.

I remember when Darcy Tucker was still in Kamloops and people were referring to him as the next Carbonneau. I laughed at that comparison as much as I do at this one. Even Sebastian Bordeleau drew comparissons to Carbonneau from many in this fan base

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I don't think Leblanc sucked that much. If only Leblanc used this offseason to get strong enough to hit with the likes of Sergei Kostitsyn... (because I don't think he will have the hitting talent of Andrei Kostitsyn) we will have a complete player.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:51 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
YOU DONT BUILD AROUND PLEKS ANYMORE

he is what he is a decent player but not a core building block

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed buddy but once he is ready , put him on a top 6 and see what he can do

he is not a bottom 6 player, very skilled , smart with decent scoring ability

we cant just put him on a line but Blunden types and expect anything to happen

there is no way if ready , and deserving that has has to play behing anyone who is not a core for us movong forward like Gio , Bourque , etc....
My view:

Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty
Gionta-Plekanec-Bourque
Gomez, Eller

Whoever plays best in Hamilton (Leblanc? Gallagher? Holland? Quailer?) is the one who gets to play top-6 minutes in Montreal once the inevitable injuries happen.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Really impressed by his hockey IQ, and his willingness to go into the corners. Could be something special if he bulks up and develops his offense.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:49 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'll be disappointed in Leblanc if he becomes a third line player. IMO he has the potential to be a good 2nd line winger. I checked the detailed stats just now. He's already compares well to Rene Bourque, Scott Gomez, Lars Eller, and the spectacular Mathieu Darche in spite of being a n00b.

Louis Leblanc produced 5 goals and 5 assists in in 449 even strength minutes, and 0 goals and 0 assists in 17 total power play minutes.

Rene Bourque produced 14 goals and 3 assists in 1029 ES minutes, and then 3 goals and 3 assists in 185 PP minutes.

Lars Eller produced 12 goals and 10 assists in 1023 ES minutes, and 2 goals and 1 assists in 52 PP minutes.

Mathieu Darche produced 3 goals and 5 assists in 600 ES minutes, and 0 goals and 0 assists in 30 PP minutes.

Scott Gomez produced 0 goals and 8 assists in 446 ES minutes, and 1 goal and 3 assists in 89 power play minutes.
These are interesting stats. From what I saw of him so far in the NHL was that he plays a strong position game with a great combination of intelligence and grit. IMO, he still time and develop as well as grow physically.

IMO he needs more upper body strength to better complete his game. His touch around the net is still unproven but there is potential.

The Carbonneau comparison is one I like.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
NewHabsEra*

Leblanc has great work ethic and determination so there is no doubt in my mind he will become a very solid NHLer but he still has alot to prove to get there.. Lets wait and see how he does at the camp..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
YOU DONT BUILD AROUND PLEKS ANYMORE

he is what he is a decent player but not a core building block
''Decent players'' don't finish top30 in points for center every year while getting selke votes. He's a core player for the team and should stay so for a few years.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

I love the kid but he's gotta work on his celebrations ... he looks too akward when he scored.

Damn I loved the AK Eller Leblanc line...fu habs management

Last edited by Vanek20: 07-31-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Valois

I think he ran out of gas a bit at the end of the year, but he had some sweet goals in the first bit. Impressive too when you consider he had no camp after injury and was called up very quickly.

I would like him to work on his game in hamilton rather than MTL in the coming season and get good minutes, but he looks like a solid, determined player and was for me one of the highlights of a pretty dismal season.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
leblanc is all business. not time for le celebration

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I must admit I have no idea what we have in our hands. I know Leblanc has some skills and he has been streaky. That would make him maybe the next Benoit Pouliot and that wouldn't be too pretty. But he seems to have a better head on his shoulders than Poo. We'll see. Hopefully he has a Max Pac-type evolution. Maybe going to Hamilton this year would be great for him?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Forsead

He reminds me two ex habs of the late years : Dominic Moore and Chris Higgins, he has a similar speedy two-way game with the same kind of energy and grit and he probably will play at the same size than them.

I hope he has more the offensive production of Higgins down the road and he doesn't seem the kind of guy with the same off ice issues.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
le_sean

Everything is fine except his ****ing strength. He really needs to bulk up.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Habs

Reminds me of LeBeau... not sure if that is good or bad, depends on your expectations.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Reminds me of LeBeau... not sure if that is good or bad, depends on your expectations.
I don't see the LeBeau comparison at all. LeBeau was a perimeter/finesse player who was a huge defensive liability. Leblanc makes his living in the corners and plays both ends of the ice.

The best comparison so far easily has been Higgins.

Another interesting comparison is Daniel Cleary or a hybrid of Mike Keane and Brent Gilchrist.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
He reminds me two ex habs of the late years : Dominic Moore and Chris Higgins, he has a similar speedy two-way game with the same kind of energy and grit and he probably will play at the same size than them.

I hope he has more the offensive production of Higgins down the road and he doesn't seem the kind of guy with the same off ice issues.
I kinda like the Higgins comparison, although I think Leblanc has him beaten cleanly in hockey I.Q., and think he has at least equivalent offensive potential as a result. Defensively, he just needs a bit more strength to go with what seem to be very good instincts.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote