HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston - Edmonton/Caution: Eberle to Boston

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2012, 11:56 PM
  #226
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
People don't remember a junior hockey tournament. Especially casual fans.

They remember the Olympics, Stanley Cups... but not the WJC.

Eberle's (and the rest of Team Canada that year) performance is pretty much forgotten by most non-die hard hockey fans
Jordan Eberle's game-tying goal against Russia will be remembered for many years as one of the biggest goals by a Canadian player in international play, regardless of the age level.

And funny you should make a comment like the latter when arguably, the most memorable goal scored in Canadian hockey history is this one...


belair is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 12:12 AM
  #227
svat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
performance in international tournaments is easily the most overrated thing on this website. any player can get hot for 5 games, it is so heavily dependent on luck that using is in general valuations of players is pointless.

svat is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 12:21 AM
  #228
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
performance in international tournaments is easily the most overrated thing on this website. any player can get hot for 5 games, it is so heavily dependent on luck that using is in general valuations of players is pointless.
It was never really used as value in a trade, more to show how much he means to the Oilers and one of many reasons why he would never be traded.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
  #229
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
performance in international tournaments is easily the most overrated thing on this website. any player can get hot for 5 games, it is so heavily dependent on luck that using is in general valuations of players is pointless.
Two years in a row though? Ya, right.

zeus3007* is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 12:49 AM
  #230
svat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Two years in a row though? Ya, right.
lol um, doubling a 4 game sample size still gives you a small sample size.

svat is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:00 AM
  #231
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
lol um, doubling a 4 game sample size still gives you a small sample size.
Then watch the rest of his career, he's scored some big goals in the NHL as well. Albeit, not playoff games. Last minute goals in back to back WJC's is pretty impressive regardless of "small sample size".

zeus3007* is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:13 AM
  #232
svat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Then watch the rest of his career, he's scored some big goals in the NHL as well. Albeit, not playoff games. Last minute goals in back to back WJC's is pretty impressive regardless of "small sample size".
of course it's impressive, but good players have a 'tendency' to score big goals. It's because they are, you know, good. Eberle was a great player on those teams, so it's not surprising he scored those two goals (combination of being good and lucky though).

but, the question most people who question the 'clutch' gene would like answered, and since you clearly believe in it, and it being a repeatable ability, why do players like eberle not use that clutchness to always score big goals? if it is an ability you are saying he intrinsically has, then why does he not just utilize in the last minute of every game?

svat is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:22 AM
  #233
DropIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Well, one player dominated and the two you listed did not. Seems different to me....

People tend to remember players that stand out, and Eberle did that.

Luongo and Iginla were fine, but neither stood out among a team ful of all-stars.

Not sure why this matters at all anyways though.
Really? Iginla is one of only 3 players to play in the Olympics every year since 2002 in Salt Lake and has 3 points in 2 gold medal games, including 2 goals to beat the Americans in Salt Lake and possibly the most famous set up play in international history to Crosby in Vancouver.

He also has as many Forward of the Tournament awards as Eberle has in WJC play as he did his part leading Canada to a WJC win in 1996.

DropIt is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
  #234
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
of course it's impressive, but good players have a 'tendency' to score big goals. It's because they are, you know, good. Eberle was a great player on those teams, so it's not surprising he scored those two goals (combination of being good and lucky though).

but, the question most people who question the 'clutch' gene would like answered, and since you clearly believe in it, and it being a repeatable ability, why do players like eberle not use that clutchness to always score big goals? if it is an ability you are saying he intrinsically has, then why does he not just utilize in the last minute of every game?
Did you really just ask why Eberle doesn't score a goal every time he wants to? Clutch is legitimate, some people perform better under pressure than others. That's all it is. Eberle is obviously one of those guys who does so. But its...just dumb... to think that anyone can score every time they want to or try to.

zeus3007* is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:57 AM
  #235
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 30,477
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I look at the thread title...and the discussion just doesn't match up. This is a really poor pissing match. Locked.

ColePens is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.