HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc love

Old
08-01-2012, 01:37 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I don't see the LeBeau comparison at all. LeBeau was a perimeter/finesse player who was a huge defensive liability. Leblanc makes his living in the corners and plays both ends of the ice.

The best comparison so far easily has been Higgins.

Another interesting comparison is Daniel Cleary or a hybrid of Mike Keane and Brent Gilchrist.
I know you guys are going to call me crazy, but he reminds me a lot of Mike Richards. He never blows you out with speed or dekes you, but he's always at the right place, and distributes the puck very well. They both thrive along the boards and are good finishers.

That's the comparison I had after the draft and I stand by it.

He has the same drive and the same determination that makes the team that much better, he's a winner.

Both are good defensively and both have the same frame.

Once he's filled out, and stronger on skates, I expect Leblanc to deliver pretty good hits.

Leblanc is also a VERY good forechecker, he's annoying. A bugger.

If you look at stats, in his first full season in the NHL Richards had 32 points in 79 games.

While Leblanc wasn't as productive as Richards, I remember him playing with Carter during his rookie year, while Leblanc had to settle with Blunden and Nokelainen on most nights.

I personally expect Leblanc to make the team out of camp, and be on the 3rd line, with Eller and one of Prust/Moen.

He will be used on the 2nd PK pairing with Prust, the 1st one being Pleks and Moen.

He will play around 15 minutes a game.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I know you guys are going to call me crazy, but he reminds me a lot of Mike Richards. He never blows you out with speed or dekes you, but he's always at the right place, and distributes the puck very well. They both thrive along the boards and are good finishers.

He has the same drive and the same determination that makes the team that much better, he's a winner.

Once he's filled out, and stronger on skates, I expect Leblanc to deliver pretty good hits.

If you look at stats, in his first full season in the NHL Richards had 32 points in 79 games.

While Leblanc wasn't as productive as Richards, I remember him playing with Carter during his rookie year, while Leblanc had to settle with Blunden and Nokelainen on most nights.

I personally expect Leblanc to make the team out of camp, and be on the 3rd line, with Eller and one of Prust/Moen.

He will be used on the 2nd PK pairing with Prust, the 1st one being Pleks and Moen.

Once again Leblanc is being compared to a center when he will most likely be a winger. Richards is also much more aggressive than Leblanc. Leblanc isn't a passive player but he has never been any where near as aggressive as Richards.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:

Not to rain on your parade, but you're hardly the first one to come up with that: Leblanc himself says he models his game after Richards'.

He's missing the mean streak right now. But it would be fantastic if he could turn into a similar player.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:35 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Once again Leblanc is being compared to a center when he will most likely be a winger. Richards is also much more aggressive than Leblanc. Leblanc isn't a passive player but he has never been any where near as aggressive as Richards.
Richards plays most of the time on the wing, Carter centering him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but you're hardly the first one to come up with that: Leblanc himself says he models his game after Richards'.

He's missing the mean streak right now. But it would be fantastic if he could turn into a similar player.
I'm not claiming the exclusivity of the thought, I'm just saying that's how I see it.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride;53175379[B
]Richards plays most of the time on the wing, Carter centering him.[/B]

I'm not claiming the exclusivity of the thought, I'm just saying that's how I see it.
WRONG!

Carter played on Richards wing when they played together. Please don't fabricate facts to support your position as that is extremely annoying. The only time that Carter would play center was when the lines were shuffled and he was taken off of Richards wing.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:16 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
WRONG!

Carter played on Richards wing when they played together. Please don't fabricate facts to support your position as that is extremely annoying. The only time that Carter would play center was when the lines were shuffled and he was taken off of Richards wing.
You seriously need to chill.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:20 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
He seems like a poor man's Carbonneau to me...solid defensively with a mild offensive touch. Should top out as a solid second liner with good penalty killing skills.
I think in time he could be more effective offensively then Carbo was but that is a pretty decent comparison.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:48 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

His offensive game gets underrated, once he puts on some strength he will start putting up a lot more points. He reminds me of a poor man's Patrick Sharp, I think he'll likely max out being a 45-55 point player a year while being able to play in any situation.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:05 AM
PricePkPatch

We have seen him in short term length, in a limited role.

DO NOT RUSH HIM. He still hasn't figured 100% his role yet. You don't "run out of gas" playing the way you are meant to play. It's likely he hit a bit of a wall at the end of the season, and couldn't compensate with energy anymore.

This is why the best thing for him now is a full year top AHL line. He needs to find his way of playing his way for the full duration of the NHL season.

The NHL season is a marathon. You can't keep at it if you aren't 100% confortable with your playstyle. That's what almost ruined Patch, that's what ruined Lats for us.

Maturing in Hamilton will make Leblanc discover himself and his teammates.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Uber Coca

I'd like Leblanc to develop like Plekanec did. Both players had similar upsides and downsides to their games - I remember Plekanec being more of a pest when younger (Leblanc doesn't shy away from dirty areas, but he's far from a pest). Also, Plekanec wasn't scouted to be more than a 3rd line player in a pretty poor depth chart (some may not agree, but that's how I saw it and I still do). He proved, during his years, that he could be a really good second liner and occasionnaly a first liner.

Both players are comparable, so we can only wish he takes the Plekanec route.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Habs

Quote:
I don't see the LeBeau comparison at all. LeBeau was a perimeter/finesse player who was a huge defensive liability. Leblanc makes his living in the corners and plays both ends of the ice.

The best comparison so far easily has been Higgins.

Another interesting comparison is Daniel Cleary or a hybrid of Mike Keane and Brent Gilchrist.
Guess time will tell, but I'll stick with my LeBeau comparison. He reminds me nothing of Keane or Cleary btw. Not sure why you think LeBeau was a defensive liability either , that's one thing he never was.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
If Leblanc improves his muscle mass and shot, he will be a 60 + point player. Hockey IQ and grit are two things he has in abundance. I could see Patrick Sharp as a good comparison if he improves in those two areas.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I sort of like the Higgins comparison, but Higgins game was so much about speed whereas Leblanc is not overly quick, his game is all about hockey iq/smarts and a high compete level to go with his off skills. Will be interesting to see what he can do in the NHL in a couple years once he hopefully fills out some more and improves his strength/quickness. I'm a big fan of his game and think he's going to be a very solid NHLer down the road

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
If Leblanc improves his muscle mass and shot, he will be a 60 + point player. Hockey IQ and grit are two things he has in abundance. I could see Patrick Sharp as a good comparison if he improves in those two areas.
Sharp is very fast.. Personally I like to compare his style and upside to Patrice Bergeron..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
DAChampion

Higgins was a good player, then he regressed and now he's a good player again with Vancouver.

Hopefully Leblanc never forgets how to hit open nets.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Beendair Donedat

No chance he's a 60+ point player unless they make the nets soccer size. You're talking guys like Ovechkin, Iginla, Lucic, Benn, Marleau, etc...

If he fills out I see him topping out at 40-45 points. He has great board skills. Works very well in the dirty areas and decent hands. As mentioned previously, I'd keep him in the AHL playing huge minutes which would allow him to develop better. Maybe bring him up for a cup of coffee. He'll be a solid player for years IMO.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I sort of like the Higgins comparison, but Higgins game was so much about speed whereas Leblanc is not overly quick, his game is all about hockey iq/smarts and a high compete level to go with his off skills. Will be interesting to see what he can do in the NHL in a couple years once he hopefully fills out some more and improves his strength/quickness. I'm a big fan of his game and think he's going to be a very solid NHLer down the road
I agree with this. It is difficult to compare prospects to established NHlers as no two players are the same.

That being said I really like the Cleary comparison.........

Old
08-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
You seriously need to chill.
Perhaps...........

Only if you promise to stick with the facts

Old
08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
No chance he's a 60+ point player unless they make the nets soccer size. You're talking guys like Ovechkin, Iginla, Lucic, Benn, Marleau, etc...

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Guess time will tell, but I'll stick with my LeBeau comparison. He reminds me nothing of Keane or Cleary btw. Not sure why you think LeBeau was a defensive liability either , that's one thing he never was.
Lebeau was brutal defensively as he was both slow and weak. This is why he didn't last very long in the NHL.

I didn't say Keane......I said a combination of Keane and Gilchrist. Leblanc is not a great skater but has a ton of heart, plays in the dirty areas and has good instincts..........I think I just described Daniel Cleary

Old
08-01-2012, 11:19 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I miss Higgins now. What a fit he'd be in our top 9. Speed, two-way skill and hustle. I'd still take him back on 3rd line when his contract in vancouver ends...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I miss Higgins now. What a fit he'd be in our top 9. Speed, two-way skill and hustle. I'd still take him back on 3rd line when his contract in vancouver ends...
I'd take him this year, but I'm really hoping that between Plekanec, Desharnais, Cole, Pacioretty, Eller, Leblanc, Gionta, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Bourque, we won't have anymore room in the top-9 next year (AKA I really hope our youngsters show us great things this year and next year).

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
habs_24x

I dont miss Higgins at all... Anyway, Leblanc hasnt impressed me so far. Then again, neither did Patches when he entered the league. look at him now.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Mrb1p

Kid is amazing. Blue chip prospect by all means.

In his firt year he was on pace for 100+ hits, 20+ points, 10 goals all this while playing 10 minutes a game with scrubs most of the time.

Look at the month of December, 13 games 5 points while playing 10 minutes that's a 30 point pace while being too weak/slow to be in the NHL. Wait 'til he starts squatting. He's was on pace for a bottom 9 production at 20 Y/O, without training camp and coming off surgery. The kid will be solid top 6. I'd love him at center.. But with all that center depth I don't see him anymore.. On Ellers wing :O Our own Richards/Carter ?

Desharnais/Eller/Leblanc OH THE HOCKEYIQ

And this goal by A.K. is amazing.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I kinda like the Higgins comparison, although I think Leblanc has him beaten cleanly in hockey I.Q., and think he has at least equivalent offensive potential as a result. Defensively, he just needs a bit more strength to go with what seem to be very good instincts.
Leblanc has far better hands than Higgins. Higgins wasn't successful as a top 6 forward mainly because he has hands made of cement.

That:

Isn't something you'd expect Higgins to do. I don't see the Higgins or Moore comparisons, except for work ethic maybe, but then again.. I'd say Leblanc looks more motivated right?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote