HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #9

View Poll Results: Who is our #9 prospect?
RW Shane McColgan 2 2.25%
C Oscar Lindberg 8 8.99%
C Steven Fogarty 10 11.24%
LW Andrew Yogan 41 46.07%
C Boo Nieves 18 20.22%
LW Marek Hrivik 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2012, 01:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Yogan, add Noreau.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Zil

Yogan, add Andersson.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Edge

Went with Lindberg, who I think is very underrated.

He doesn't have the size/intrigue of a guy like Yogan, nor does he amaze you with his speed like Nieves, but he's probably one of the most likely NHLers on this list, including guys who are ranked ahead of him.

The catch is offense. Safely he projects as a Blair Betts clone. Optimistically he projects as a Malhotra type.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
So Yogan looks like he's a lock at number 9, I would imagine that Fogarty rounds out the top 10 next a numbe ten. Considering Kreider And Hagelin ( as the top two prospects) Will both most likely graduate this Year, our top 12 prospects will be the real number to look at when evaluating future prospect pool.

We got Nieves, McColgan, Lindberg and Hrivik left to vote for, with guys like Bourque, Stacjer, Noreau, Anderssson and Ceresnak as the chosen alternatives to be in next. Not bad depth if you ask me...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Yogan, followed by Fogarty. Add Noreau.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:05 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Hrivik add Andersson.

It's weird to disagree as much as I do with the consensus.

07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Hrivik add Andersson.

It's weird to disagree as much as I do with the consensus.
I actually find myself disagreeing quite a bit with the consensus this year.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Yogan
Add Noreau

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Went for McColgan, I think he is very underrated. He had a bad year, bumping him off the top rounds but he has a lot of potential. He is the next low pick that makes the team. Mark my words!

Add Noreau

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Same here

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Went with Lindberg, who I think is very underrated.

He doesn't have the size/intrigue of a guy like Yogan, nor does he amaze you with his speed like Nieves, but he's probably one of the most likely NHLers on this list, including guys who are ranked ahead of him.

The catch is offense. Safely he projects as a Blair Betts clone. Optimistically he projects as a Malhotra type.
Damnit Edge! One spot too early. This was going to be my write-up in #10!

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Went with Lindberg.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Id like to change my vote to Lindberg... forgot about him for a sec, but, oh well whatever.

Add Bourque

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Ola

A few thoughts:

Noreu -- underrated in the shadow of McI. But at the same time, what's the upside? McI is a natural hitter and covers more ice and has more flair. But Sam is definitely steadier than him...

McColgan -- Underrated. I would have him higher than St Croix. McC is a lower maintanance player, and not the point getter St Croix is. And I guess somewhere along the line StC has more potential, because he got fabulous offensive instincts and abilities. But StC is really only a top end offensive player, and as such he needs to be really elite to get a shot at a goto role on a top 2 line. McC is an offensive player, but he works hard and covers alot of ice. He is as good offensively from his own end and out as he is down low. He fights hard for the puck along the boards and so forth. I would have McC higher than StC because he could make it in a Hagelin role, while the later is Marc Savard II or bust...

Lindberg-- I don't know. Stubborn clutch player. Smart. But... Small (not big). Not a great skater. Below avg shot. Not much of a passer.

I love the type. Destructive hockey player. They are valuble, and too rare in the NHL. To many of the checkers in the NHL are the put their heads down and go type of players. The smart types who will be destructive even when they have the puck in the attacking zone and what not are a real pain to play against and not that unusual on Cup winners (Nemchinov, Zelepukin, Ricci, Pahlsson and co comes to mind). But usually those types are more skilled to start with than Lindberg. Ie a skilled player who finds his role later in his career. Lindberg lol was born that way. Not sure how he would look against the best...

Yogan-- I am just not that high on him at all. Maybe I've just not seen him enough, but at the same time I've seen him but he never sticks out... Just seem very meh. Like, I've seen a strong kid who skates alright and goes hard to the net. In that role he will bang home some pucks. But good luck getting a role to do that in the NHL if that's all you can do...

Boo Nieves- Interesting kid!

A long first 2-3 step type of skater, who can use that to his advantage by getting position on a D. Good body to protect the puck if he gets that position (but let's not get into some kind of Grachev mode and overrate this kids skating, he is big and skates like it. He is pretty choppy too). But he is a classic center type who got decent hands and a optimistic head on his shoulders.

He isn't a pick who blows you away, I like say Anisimov was obviously a 15-25 pick who fell too the second round. But Nieves is a tad raw and alot could happen in a year or two so you never know how he will look in say twelve months.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:36 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Going out on a limb and saying McColgan. I think he is very much in the Callahan, O'Reilly mold, just a little smaller. I have faith he'll avoid getting trampled by injuries. Yogan or Lindberg are pretty reasonable options here, also.

Andersson should have been an option for a while now.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Went with Hrivik. Yogan is a solid piece, but H has already shown more at a high(er) level of play thus far. I expect Yogi to come in and impress this season in Connecticut, though.

Add Andersson.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Went with Hrivik. Yogan is a solid piece, but H has already shown more at a high(er) level of play thus far.
Ditto.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I have some issues with the whole process. I mean there's so much weight given to who is the closest to the NHL. It seems that these polls rank who we think will make it to the NHL next, more so than who will be the better NHL player. Then again, I don't know how you truly determine which prospect is better when you think one is a near lock (say 90%) to be at least a 4th liner (with a shot at the 3rd) and the other is a 30% chance to be a top 6 forward or 70% to be a bust.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This round is called. Please move on to the next round: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1240111

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I have some issues with the whole process. I mean there's so much weight given to who is the closest to the NHL. It seems that these polls rank who we think will make it to the NHL next, more so than who will be the better NHL player. Then again, I don't know how you truly determine which prospect is better when you think one is a near lock (say 90%) to be at least a 4th liner (with a shot at the 3rd) and the other is a 30% chance to be a top 6 forward or 70% to be a bust.
The truth is it's very subjective, and there's really no "right" way to do it. I tend to look at upside, probability of making the NHL, and a few other factors.

A guy like Lindberg is a pretty safe player, but unspectacular. A guy like McColgan shows promise, but has not really put the pieces together.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Everyone uses their own criteria. I disagree though that people place too much emphasis on how close a player is to making it. That's why you'd see a guy like Dale Wiese lower in the rankings--we all knew he was close, but he had limited upside.

Having done these polls for years, I've found that most people place a greater emphasis on upside than how close a guy is. Obviously there are exceptions or weird years, but HF posters love nothing more than "upside." You see it when people value a second round pick with "top six potential" more than an established, NHL checking center. Do you see the trade proposals here? No one cares about the sure thing, it's all potential.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote