HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks - Flyers

Old
08-01-2012, 01:25 AM
MISC*
Negged.

vCash: 500
Canucks - Flyers

To Philly:

Edler, Alexander

To Canucks:

Hartnell, Scott

Why?

Philly desperately needs to address the defensive core of this team. Edler will replace a much needed high end d-man who can QB a PP and log 22-24min.

Vancouver needs toughness and grit up front. Hartnell can play in front of the goalie on the PP and on the 2nd line with Kesler. Can keep defenders busy while the skill guys do there thing.

Both players have 1 year left and both cap hit's are pretty close.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
To Philly:

Edler, Alexander

To Canucks:

Hartnell, Scott

Why?

Philly desperately needs to address the defensive core of this team. Edler will replace a much needed high end d-man who can QB a PP and log 22-24min.

Vancouver needs toughness and grit up front. Hartnell can play in front of the goalie on the PP and on the 2nd line with Kesler. Can keep defenders busy while the skill guys do there thing.

Both players have 1 year left and both cap hit's are pretty close.
No thanks!

Vancouver needs Edler more then they need Hartnell.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:27 AM
DropIt

I feel the hole Edler leaves isn't worth the one Hartnell fills for Vancouver

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:29 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Better get the flame shields ready...

Just because Weber didn't sign the offer sheet, it doesn't mean that Philly is in deep trouble with their defensive core. They have a steady core, adding Edler at the expense of Hartnell will hurt their offense.

Same with Vancouver, Edler is practically their #1 offensive D and losing him for Hartnell isn't going to improve their subpar D (one of the reasons why they lost in the playoffs).

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

Just because Weber didn't sign the offer sheet, it doesn't mean that Philly is in deep trouble with their defensive core. They have a steady core, adding Edler at the expense of Hartnell will hurt their offense.

Same with Vancouver, Edler is practically their #1 offensive D and losing him for Hartnell isn't going to improve their subpar D (one of the reasons why they lost in the playoffs).
The Canucks have sub-par D? Haha ok there buddy.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:34 AM
BlackRedYellow

Quote:

Without Edler the Canucks have Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, Tanev, Connauton, Alberts, and a few others. How is that subpar?

BlackRedYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:36 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
The Canucks have sub-par D? Haha ok there buddy.
Well they got so far in the playoffs with that D now didn't they? (Note I'm talking before Garrison/whatever changes they made happened)

Old
08-01-2012, 01:38 AM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedYellow View Post
Without Edler the Canucks have Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, Tanev, Connauton, Alberts, and a few others. How is that subpar?
Its not great, average at best

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:39 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Well they got so far in the playoffs with that D now didn't they? (Note I'm talking before Garrison/whatever changes they made happened)
Yeah, cause that was the problem...

Anyways, no thanks from Canucks. Edler holds too much value to this team.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:42 AM
phlla12

It's not the worst trade ever proposed, but the timing is bad.

1) Hartnell is loved; which equals $$$ for franchise
2) We can't lose Hartnell + JVR + Jarg upfront in one offseason
3) Our D is not that bad... (some of us, not me) think we're better now that we lost Carl (/laugh)

phlla12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:44 AM
GTopCheese

^ We are better without Carle. So sick of him.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:47 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Its not great, average at best
It's certainly not great, but it's absolutely above average. Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Garrison are all legitimate top 2/3/4 Defensemen, and Ballard and Tanev are both nipping on their heels as well. It's a well-rounded D-core that provides ample offense as well as some occasionally inconsistent defense. Thankfully we have good goaltenders.

I'd say it's a good defence. Not top 5 in the league or anything, but top 10-15? absolutely.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:48 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Nonsensical argument. That is, it does not follow. Nice try though. Maybe if you actually watched the Canucks you'd understand that the Canucks didn't lose in the playoffs 'cause of their D. If you do watch the Canucks then maybe you should pick up a new sport to engage in; obviously hockey isn't "sinking" in.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:52 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Nonsensical argument. That is, it does not follow. Nice try though. Maybe if you actually watched the Canucks you'd understand that the Canucks didn't lose in the playoffs 'cause of their D. If you do watch the Canucks then maybe you should pick up a new sport to engage in; obviously hockey isn't "sinking" in.
Maybe your reading comprehension needs some help, I said ONE of the reasons. I know scoring was also a problem, but you're in denial if you think your D core was set to take on the West in the playoffs (Edler had a bad playoff series, Bieksa was very average to poor, Hamhuis was a non-factor). Why else were people so open to the idea of getting Garrison in the first place?

Old
08-01-2012, 01:55 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Maybe your reading comprehension needs some help, I said ONE of the reasons. I know scoring was also a problem, but you're in denial if you think your D core was set to take on the West in the playoffs (Edler had a bad playoff series, Bieksa was very average to poor, Hamhuis was a non-factor). Why else were people so open to the idea of getting Garrison in the first place?
So basically the Canucks won the West the year before 'cause of Erhoff? Or is it possible the team as a whole just sucked. What you state DOES NOT FOLLOW. Goodnight.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:55 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
There was no way Salo was going to play 2nd pairing minutes next season.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:09 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
So basically the Canucks won the West the year before 'cause of Erhoff? Or is it possible the team as a whole just sucked. What you state DOES NOT FOLLOW. Goodnight.
Way to conveniently gloss over that I said there are other problems on top of crappy defensive play. But sure, live in your own denial then...because that defense is totally Stanley Cup/Norris worthy.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:19 AM
gsharpe

Go ahead and name 4 better defensive groups. Im curious.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Cogburn

I feel partly responsible for this, bringing back the Edler thread. We aren't actively looking to move him.

I like Hartnell, but he isn't as valuable as us as Edler, and he's definitely not as valuable to us as he is to the Flyers. We'd need more back, a lesser top 4 dman from somewhere on the roster, would be a minimum addition, and I know Flyers fans won't start down that path.

I don't think their D is that bad either...Prongers out, but that's still Timonen, Schenn, Mezaros, Coburn and even Grossman, Lilja and Gervais to lesser or larger extents make a decent core. Edler, or Weber, or any other top 20 Dman would take it from above average on paper to phenomenal. The first 5 guys I listed are all solid top 4 defenders...if the defence isn't working, it might be the strategy more then the pieces...like ours.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Way to conveniently gloss over that I said there are other problems on top of crappy defensive play. But sure, live in your own denial then...because that defense is totally Stanley Cup/Norris worthy.
Norris is individual, but nice.

Our defenders themselves aren't bad at all, Edler or no. I think our system is flawed defensively, asking far too much individual effort, and results in injuries (see Hamhuis and Ballard having ironman streaks ruined on our team, Bieksa's freak injuries, etc), a lack of support if we're heavily pressured (see L.A., Boston, Chicago) and other areas that need support/changes. Playing Rome like a top four and leaving Ballard to languish on the bench also messes things up, and that's not the players, thats coaching.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Derp Kassian

Imo Canucks would rather add Doan or give a shot to Kassian/Jensen then trade a potential Norris candidate for Scott Hartnell. Hartnell would fit well with the Sedins but I'm not sure if he'd do well with Kesler since Kes likes to be more of a puck carrier.

Quote:
It is cup worthy, severely decimated the same 4/6(hamhuis got injured) defenseman got to within 1 game of the cup. Top 4 is easily in the middle of the top10.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:36 AM
VanFan101

Ah HF, one poster makes an uneducated statement, and then instead of correcting themselves, they defend it over and over and successfully derail an entire thread.

VanFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:47 AM
LeX4cavalier

Lol at the guy who thinks the Canucks have a subpar d, it's easily better than the Flyers, and it's probably top 5 in the NHL. To the trade, no thank you from the Canucks. Edler's a ufa in 1 year, but so is Hartnell. Edler is much younger, and a better player.

LeX4cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
I feel the hole Edler leaves isn't worth the one Hartnell fills for Vancouver
That's really all there is to this thread, as much as I like Hartsy.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:03 AM
professorchaos

Hartnell is one of my fave players in the NHL. I would gladly give up Edler for him if we had the defensive depth and Philly had the offensive depth for this move to work.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote