HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stand up goalie

Old
07-30-2012, 11:53 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Stand up goalie

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. I want to play goal pretty badly but if I do, I don't want to be a butterfly goalie like everyone nowadays. I want to play as a hybrid/stand-up goalie.

The problem is I don't think anyone teaches it anymore? Is it a good idea, cause instead of taking up all the net I want to be a bit more creative in net.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:23 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

There's nothing wrong with it if you're good at it. That said, it's very difficult to be good at it these days. I remember playing a stand up last summer and we abused him with low shots.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Thepandamancan

I think stand up/hybrid/butterfly goalie classifications are all misnomers...you're gonna have to do each one depending on the situation you're in. With that said...

If you try to be a pure stand up goalie, you will likely have a very high GAA but you will make some interesting saves. A goalie in my ball hockey league is stand up and his team won it all. Thankfully he had a pretty high scoring offense and good defense to back him up.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Being a stand-up goalie requires many years of experience and very good reflexes.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:57 AM
ganave

I've been learning goal for the last month in an instructional league and now with a dedicated goalie coach.

I figured I would be more of standup goalie at the beginning, but after getting beaten up from pucks in the 5 hole with little wrist shots I converted pretty quickly.

My thoughts so far is that I wouldn't consider I'm X style, but thinking of what saves I have in my toolbox. Butterfly is really nice because you can skate around on the ice to block a rebound. If you do a double pad stack than you'll probably get beat on the rebound.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
pelts35.com

Why do you need to label your style before you even strap on the pads? Just get in the net and stop the puck however you can. If you feel confident that you can make a save without going into the bfly, by all means go for it. If you think that the 2 pad stack is the right way to make a save, go for it. Etc, etc.

As one goalie coach put it to me, it doesn't hurt to have as many tools in the toolbox as you can. But, just because you have them doesn't mean you have to use them all of the time.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
hlaverty06

Thanks guys, I guess its kinda like Hasek...no real style hahah just save the dam puck

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

I still play a stand-up style (roughly equal parts Kirk McLean and Dominik Hasek).

Check out Ian Young's "Behind The Mask" and "Beyond The Mask" for starters.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I know this goalie plays stand up because he's too lazy to go down. Either that or he can't go down.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:40 PM
nabby12

I play hockey at a high level and I play a standup style modeled after my idol Evgeni Nabokov.

I come out really, really far to challenge shooters. I have a very quick and effective glove.

For me...standup is the best for my game!

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
I play hockey at a high level and I play a standup style modeled after my idol Evgeni Nabokov.

I come out really, really far to challenge shooters. I have a very quick and effective glove.

For me...standup is the best for my game!
I've watched Nabokov from his days in the AHL in Kentucky and I would hardly call him a standup goalie.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've played a couple standup goalies who were actually very hard to score against. I thought it'd be easy, but they were quite quick with strong reflexes.

One guy in particular last year sticks out. He was able to track the puck so well that he'd easily steer aside shots, rather than being in the usual position to block them, he'd just punch or knock them aside, and that actually made it easier for his team to get the puck back up the ice. Five hole wasn't weak at all. He seemed to keep his glove and blocker pretty low actually while he was standing up and got lots of pucks with them that most goalies would with their pads or from the butterfly.

I did score on him from a wrist shot AT the blue line over the glove. He mis-read it and didn't react until it was too late, which was strange. And then we scored a lot of goals quickly, so he might not have been the strongest mentally in bouncing back.

But it was fun, very weird to shoot on a goalie who looks and acts completely different.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Subnordi

Don't pick out a style without even getting on the ice yet, I tried that and sure I made some interesting saves, but I was inconsistent, my goalie coach morphed me into a hybrid goalie and I relied a lot on my positioning, so just go with what you feel most comfortable doing, who knows, maybe you'll thrive playing butterfly.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thanks to this thread I spent an hour thinking about whether or not it is tougher for goalies to stop high vs low shots, and what curve I should try next

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Goalie guy

You are doing your self a grave injustice, in try to shoe horn your self in to one or the other. play your game and just stop the puck, work on tracking the puck, your angles, your squareness to the shooter and stop the shot! have fun AND DON'T OVER THINK THINGS!!!!

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I know this goalie plays stand up because he's too lazy to go down. Either that or he can't go down.
Sounds like me at the end of a long game...

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Canadiens1958

Skating Ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. I want to play goal pretty badly but if I do, I don't want to be a butterfly goalie like everyone nowadays. I want to play as a hybrid/stand-up goalie.

The problem is I don't think anyone teaches it anymore? Is it a good idea, cause instead of taking up all the net I want to be a bit more creative in net.
You do not mention anything about your age, skating ability or hockey experience.

Appreciate that stand-up goalies that have great movement like a Dominik Hasek are excellent skaters.

If you want to learn from and observe stand-up goalies watch the veteran league teams in your area. Such leagues feature adult players over the age of 35 into their 60s and the goalies usually are stand-up types. You would learn even more by talking with them.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:31 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
I'm the exact opposite. I'm happy to go down, but getting back up is the challenge at the end of the game.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
noobman

Quote:

In a beginner league, you're going to be a phenomenal goalie if you can take away the lower portion of the net as a good butterfly goalie can.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
hockeymass

Quote:

There's nothing creative about standing up in the net and kicking aside pucks... and it's not like goalies that employ the butterfly sit there on their knees the entire game just covering the whole bottom half of the net.

If you've not played goalie at all, it's a bit premature to decide on a style. Cart before the horse, as it were.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
There's also a 50% chance he came to tend the goal drunk or with vodka in his water bottle.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I still play a stand-up style (roughly equal parts Kirk McLean and Dominik Hasek).

Check out Ian Young's "Behind The Mask" and "Beyond The Mask" for starters.
I was just going to post this. Great books.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:28 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
There's nothing creative about standing up in the net and kicking aside pucks... and it's not like goalies that employ the butterfly sit there on their knees the entire game just covering the whole bottom half of the net.

If you've not played goalie at all, it's a bit premature to decide on a style. Cart before the horse, as it were.
You also have to keep in mind how the majority of leg pads are created now.

With a few exceptions (larceny line, vaughns to an extent), most pads are what are considered "pro-fly" pads.

They're created and designed to facilitate easy rotation to allow a seamless butterfly. They're also designed to be worn fairly loose. While I mentioned Larceny and Vaughn, these pads are designed to be worn tighter. They can still be used for easy butterfly's (Vaughn is my choice), but because they are worn tighter than say a reebok, you have the ability to play more of a standup/hybrid reactionary role.

Though, as others have said, you haven't mentioned your past experience at playing hockey, now your age/skillset/flexibility or skating ability.

You have alot of steps to take before really pidgeon holding yourself into a specific style of goaltending.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
You also have to keep in mind how the majority of leg pads are created now.

With a few exceptions (larceny line, vaughns to an extent), most pads are what are considered "pro-fly" pads.

They're created and designed to facilitate easy rotation to allow a seamless butterfly. They're also designed to be worn fairly loose. While I mentioned Larceny and Vaughn, these pads are designed to be worn tighter. They can still be used for easy butterfly's (Vaughn is my choice), but because they are worn tighter than say a reebok, you have the ability to play more of a standup/hybrid reactionary role.

Though, as others have said, you haven't mentioned your past experience at playing hockey, now your age/skillset/flexibility or skating ability.

You have alot of steps to take before really pidgeon holding yourself into a specific style of goaltending.
just to add on to that, the vaughn velocitys and reebok larcenys are hybrid pads so they are still designed with butterfly into consideration, they just have more breaks in the pads so the pillows are more flexible and you can flop around like a fish.

if you want a true stand up style, you would be looking at old school heaton helite pads from back in the day or brown JB box pads... you will have a tough time hunting down a set thats still in good shape these days.

theres really no point playing stand up anymore when the butterfly has proven to be so much more effective. theres a reason why stand up got phased out. its not because the butterfly is cooler, its because the butterfly stops more pucks

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote