HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013

Old
07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Fan of The Game

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
2012/2013

Thought we may get a better player out of Ruutu if he anchored the third line.

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin
Jokinen - J. Staal - Skinner
Bowman - Ruutu - LaRose
Blanchard/Brent/Welsh/Dwyer/Stewart/Samson/Nodl

E. Staal - J. Staal - Semin
Skinner - Jokinen - Ruutu
Bowman - Welsh - LaRose
Blanchard/Brent/Welsh/Dwyer/Stewart/Samson/Nodl

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Corvo
Harrison - McBain
Gragnani

Murphy gets a chance at the beginning of the season.

Ward
Peters/Boucher after he comes back.

What are the chances Murphy stays in the NHL?

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
Thought we may get a better player out of Ruutu if he anchored the third line.
I can't say I agree with that...I think he's much more of a winger than a center.

I still think that Jokinen's passing acumen is needed with Staal12 and Semin. I think that Ruutu is best serves as a wrecking ball for Staal11's line, and Skinner is the guy who capitalizes on the fruits of of the other two. I'm willing to give Welsh a 10-game look at 3C, and I think it makes sense to put Tlusty and LaRose with him for defensive help along with a little bit of opportunistic offense.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
urn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I can't say I agree with that...I think he's much more of a winger than a center.

I still think that Jokinen's passing acumen is needed with Staal12 and Semin. I think that Ruutu is best serves as a wrecking ball for Staal11's line, and Skinner is the guy who capitalizes on the fruits of of the other two. I'm willing to give Welsh a 10-game look at 3C, and I think it makes sense to put Tlusty and LaRose with him for defensive help along with a little bit of opportunistic offense.
This is my opinion exactly, down to every last detail. I really, really like that lineup, but of course Muller will play around with different combinations to see what actually works. That'll be exciting. I wonder if the Staals will end up having good enough chemistry to justify putting our two best centers on the same line.

Does anyone know the rules about Murphy and the NHL? I would love to give him a shot just to see how he does, but isn't he too young to play in the AHL if it doesn't work out? Or is it a contract issue, not an age issue? As you can tell, I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

urn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:

I get that Chad has scored more than Drayson Bowman and has the "veteran" presence, but I still think Bowman is better suited for the 3rd line and Chad needs to find his fit on the 4th line....a line that I hope gets 8+ minutes a game. I'd really like to see that 3rd line of Welsh, Tlusty, and Bowman or Welsh, Jussi, and Bowman. In the end I think Bowman earns the spot out of camp (can't predict who the odd man out might be), provides more scoring punch than expected, and proves that he can be physical and responsible.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
impeach estaalo

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Skinner-JStaal-Jokinen
Bowman-Welsh-LaRose
Nodl-Brent-Dwyer
extras: Ruutu, Stewart

Pitkanen-Faulk
Gleason-Murphy
Harrison-McBain
extra: Corvo

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
extras: Ruutu
You would allow him to live?!?

You're slipping, sir.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
La Huracanista

The depth chart has been adjusted.

E. Staal - J. Staal - A. Semin
Jokinen - Ruutu - Skinner
Tlusty - Welsh - Dwyer
Stewart - Brent - LaRose

*extra: Nodl

Bowman should beat out Stewart on talent, but I think his contract is two-way in the first year. Also, this doesn't factor in the enforcer we're after, who might play 20-60 games.

I honestly think all of the forwards are at least OK, with the exceptions of Brent and Stewart, who could be replaced by two good AHLers if you look into their advanced stats. Brent played 30 seconds per game shorthanded. He's not that good on defense and we have enough talent that we don't need him to fill in on the man advantage any more (praise Jesus...)

Gleason-Corvo
Harrison-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain

I think Chip said that Faulk and Pitkanen would perhaps be paired, leaving Harrison and McBain as a third pairing, which makes way more sense. Straightaway speed is not Faulk's strong suit, so pairing him with Pitkanen seems natural. Also, Harrison is a great #5 and all, but he doesn't need to be in a good top 4.

I think Corvo might get scratched on occasion, especially if Ryan Murphy comes around. If everything goes perfectly, we'll have this by the end of the season:

Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain
Harrison-Murphy/Corvo

If you listened to Rutherford's comments at that recent fan event that I forget the name of, he's super high on Justin Faulk. He compared Faulk's career arc favorably to Orr and Potvin. No pressure, Faulk! So best case scenario is that Faulk grows into a top pairing defenseman and Murphy is ready for the NHL, and hopefully better than Corvo.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Ruutu - S12 - A. Semin
Jokinen - S11 - Skinner
Tlusty - Welsh - LaRose
Stewart - Brent -Dwyer

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Yes We Cam
Anton who?

Let's go! The Staals and Semin being paired together might solve any worth ethic issues. If Semin is searching for a fresh start, starting off right with the Staal bros is the best way to go.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Fan of The Game

Quote:

I suppose your right, I wish we had Cullen here again. I know they are entirely different players, but I remember how important having a solid third line (Cullen) was to our success in the past.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Forwards:
Semin - Eric - Ruutu
Jokinen - Jordan - Skinner
Tlusty - Welsh/Dalpe - LaRose
Dwyer/Bowman - Brent - Dwyer/Nodl/Samson

Skinner - Eric - Semin
Tlusty - Jordan - Ruutu
Bowman - Jokinen - LaRose
Stewart/Bowman - Brent - Dwyer/Nodl/Samson

Eric - Jordan - Semin

Eric - Jordan - Skinner
Semin - Jokinen - Ruutu or Jokinen - Ruutu - Semin
Bowman/Stewart - Brent - Dwyer/Nodl/Samson

Skinner - Eric - Ruutu
Jokinen - Jordan - Semin

Defense:
Gleason - Corvo
Pitkanen - McBain
Harrison - Faulk

Gleason - Faulk
Pitkanen - McBain
Harrison - Corvo

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Corvo
Harrison - McBain

Note: I thought Semin predominately played LW. Why do people keep putting him on the RW?

Xylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Fan of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylo View Post
Forwards:
Semin - Eric - Ruutu

Skinner - Eric - Semin
Tlusty - Jordan - Ruutu
Bowman - Jokinen - LaRose

Eric - Jordan - Semin

Eric - Jordan - Skinner
Semin - Jokinen - Ruutu or Jokinen - Ruutu - Semin

Skinner - Eric - Ruutu
Jokinen - Jordan - Semin

Defense:
Gleason - Corvo
Pitkanen - McBain
Harrison - Faulk

Gleason - Faulk
Pitkanen - McBain
Harrison - Corvo

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Corvo
Harrison - McBain

Note: I thought Semin predominately played LW. Why do people keep putting him on the RW?
I don't recall remembering which wing he played last year off of memory, but most sites have him listed as RW.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

A line of Jokinen//S12//Semin would be intriguing. All shoot first types who can dangle, but, all of whom also have above average passing skills. I could potentially see defenses running around in circles and tripping over eachother trying to figure out where shots were coming from.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Semin - J.Staal - E.Staal
Tlusty - Welsh - LaRose
Nodl - Brent - Dwyer

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Corvo
Harrison - Faulk

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The benefit of adding two star players to your lineup is that it makes everybody better. Everybody gets better on ice matchups and everybody gets better linemates. Ideally, everybody should score more points. This is going to help players like Ruutu be as valuable as they should be according to their salary. He will not be expected to outscore our star forwards, four in number, between the Staals, Semin, and Skinner. It bumps down expectations for a player like Jussi Jokinen, who will now be a secondary scorer for this team when he was asked to be a primary one previously.

I think everybody, deep down, knows that we're eventually going to have two lines with a Staal each. This talk of playing them together makes no sense. It dilutes the depth of the center position and it puts them both in a position of not being able to watch each other and critique each other the way we want. I want a dog fight between those two for who can have the more impressive shift each time they jump over the boards. If they have to play together on the PP, then that is well and good. I just don't want either player removed from their natural position.

Jiri Tlusty - Eric Staal - Alexander Semin

Tlusty showed tremendously with Eric Staal at the end of the season last year and was starting to hover around the 18-20 minute a night mark as the season wore along. Tlusty is skilled enough to keep up with this line and cerebral enough to use his linemates. Each of our top three lines will likely have a "passenger" forward, but the other two moving pieces of the line should provide the extra jump needed to keep the line productive.

Jeff Skinner - Jordan Staal - Tuomo Ruutu

Call this our 1B line and it's a damn fine one. Jordan and Tuomo bring the physicality required to open up ice for Skinner. Not to mention the fact that with Ruutu on the ice while Skinner is on the ice, liberties with hitting should be at a minimum. On a shift by shift basis, there are few players physical enough to keep players on their toes like Ruutu does and if somebody makes a long run at Skinner, you can rest assured that Tuomo will be on the way. While he is technically the passenger on this line, I predict good things from him offensively this year in a reduced role. Plus, having Skinner with Jordan will reduce our concerns about the high forward when Skinner is doing his thing out there.

Jussi Jokinen - Jeremy Welsh - Chad Larose

With the assumption being made that Welsh is going to make this club, this line will be able to provide offense for us all the way down into the third line. Larose is a pretty handy even strength scorer and is responsible defensively. Jokinen is something of a liability at even strength, but putting him in the "Ray Whitney" hole circa 05-06 should allow him to benefit from weaker matchups and really save his legs for powerplay opportunities. I could just as easily be okay with Tim Brent centering this line if Welsh shows incapable of making an impact here.

Drayson Bowman/UFA fighter - Tim Brent - Andreas Nodl/Anthony Stewart/Patrick Dwyer

I like that this line has some versatility in regards to what we can do with different mixes of bodies. We're going to retool this line and either promote Blanchard from within or add a UFA to play limited minutes on this line. When we're playing softer teams, we can go with Bowman and Nodl to make it another cycle threat line with a more offensive tendency. Anthony Stewart is likely the odd man out here and will likely be waived. Patrick Dwyer's role will be diminished even further due to the fact that we've been pretty receptive to the idea of playing Alexander Semin on the PK it would seem.

Pitkanen - McBain

For whatever reason, this pairing seems to benefit both players. I feel like they both play their best hockey when they're together and I see no reason why we shouldn't allow Pitkanen and McBain to grow that relationship together.

Harrison - Faulk

Harrison being a strong even strength contributor last season and Faulk being a minutes eating defender, this pairing makes a lot of sense for us. We have invested into the future of each of these two players and it would be nice to see them develop more of that chemistry.

Gleason - Corvo

As much as a negative as this will be around here, these guys have played with each other quite a bit and know each other pretty well on the ice. If we can get quiet and seamless minutes out of this group at even strength we should be fine. Nothing fancy expected.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

S12 / S11 / Semin
Brothers work down low and Semin cherry picks.

Skinner / Jussi / Ruutu
2Finns and Kid reunite Ruutu brings the physical to keep Skins alive. Jussi makes plays and Skinner Cherry picks.

Nodl / Welsh / Tlusty
Nodl defensively keeps Welsh out of trouble, Tlusty adds the scoring threat.

Stewart / Brent / LaRose
Maybe Stewart learns to use his size? Brent and LaRose to be responsible?

Pitkanen / Faulk
Gleason / Corvo
Harrison / Murphy

Ward
Peters

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Jokinen-E. Staal-Semin; I think Jokinen's passing will play into Staal and Semin's strengths.
Skinner-J. Staal-Ruutu; Two more physical guys with Skinner
Tlusty-Welsh-LaRose; Try Welsh for 10 games, if it doesn't work, put Jokinen there and move Tlusty to the top line
Nodl-Brent-Dwyer; This line could play a defensive role and probably get more than 6 min a game.

Defense? Hard to tell. Probably start out with guys that have shown chemistry before.

Pitkanen-McBain
Gleason - Corvo
Harrison-Faulk

The thing I don't like about Eric and Jordan on the same line even strength, is that we have a weak 2nd line C (Jokinen/Ruutu/Skinner) and a ? at 3C (Welsh). ON the flipside, Eric, Jordan and Welsh/Jokinen gives respectable strength down the middle.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:24 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
A line of Jokinen//S12//Semin would be intriguing. All shoot first types who can dangle, but, all of whom also have above average passing skills. I could potentially see defenses running around in circles and tripping over eachother trying to figure out where shots were coming from.
Jokinen is pass-first and not the best fit, IMO, to be paired with EStaal and Semin. Though he's not a prototypical L1 talent, Ruutu would be the better fit in that he can be the physical forechecking force. They need that kind or presence to effectively cycle whereas Jokinen is better suited to a more wide-open, transition style scheme like the old Caps.

I agree with this version of Xlyo's lines:

Semin - Eric - Ruutu

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Jokinen is pass-first and not the best fit, IMO, to be paired with EStaal and Semin. Though he's not a prototypical L1 talent, Ruutu would be the better fit in that he can be the physical forechecking force. They need that kind or presence to effectively cycle whereas Jokinen is better suited to a more wide-open, transition style scheme like the old Caps.

I agree with this version of Xlyo's lines:

Semin - Eric - Ruutu
This is what I'm hoping for. The thing about having Dwyer and Nodl on your 4th line is it won't be such a god awful liability as it has been the past few years. 10 minutes a night isnt out of the question.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
This is what I'm hoping for. The thing about having Dwyer and Nodl on your 4th line is it won't be such a god awful liability as it has been the past few years. 10 minutes a night isnt out of the question.
If the first 2 can handle 20min each, and the the 3/4 can handle 10 each. That should keep from burning out players and give us 40 of 60 mins on the attack with the top 6.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
wallym

Do all teams have 15 guys competing for their 4th line, or is it just us?

It would be nice if JR could dump a couple before the season.'

What's worse, is that all of the 4th liners are NOT big physical grinders. Which it sounds like is what Muller is looking for to round out the roster.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Do all teams have 15 guys competing for their 4th line, or is it just us?

It would be nice if JR could dump a couple before the season.'
Kinda the identity of the 4th line. If they were any good, they'd be on higher lines. The fact that they're not means they're interchangeable. and replaceable. In the Canes' case, more so than other teams.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Kinda the identity of the 4th line. If they were any good, they'd be on higher lines. The fact that they're not means they're interchangeable. and replaceable. In the Canes' case, more so than other teams.
I have withheld all players with a 2way contract cause we have so many with 1 way. After next season
, we can dump almost all of our bottom 6.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Boom Boom Anton

JR "can" dump most of the bottom six player (Dwyer, Brent, LaRose, Stewart, Nodl, Wallace), but I will be very surprised if 2 or 3 of them aren't re-signed. I guess it all depends on how they do this year.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Chrispy

Looking these over, I like Vagrant's forward lines a lot. They have the most balance in the top 9, and it leaves a lot of options open as well. Jokinen can move up in case of injury or in case Tlusty doesn't continue to play like he did with Eric last year. Dalpe could beat out Welsh, possibly playing center himself. If Jokinen moves to 3C, Bowman, Dalpe, and Boychuk all become options as a third line wing with LaRose. I think Nodl and Dwyer make the most sense on the 4th line with Brent with Stewart hanging around in the press box. I like Blanchard as a potential deterrent, as he's already on the roster on a 2-way contract and could be called up in case of a sudden need for a deterrent.

On the D pairings, I agree with those who would like to see Gleason-Faulk as a pairing. I don't know if it will work, but it does open up the possibility of Harrison-Corvo as the bottom pairing and Harrison-Murphy as well.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote