HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 10:48 PM
BigBuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I want to know, from those who believe Dubas is on borrowed time, what he's done wrong so far.

To date, the only thing that's come from the Campbell deal is Campbell for Sieloff and Graeme Brown, which makes it a wash so far.
He might not be on borrowed time but how can you say that trade was the right thing to do? There is still 4 2nd round picks and a 3rd to come for a goalie who might not be back this year and the Hounds didn't make the playoffs last year.Seems like a bad deal to me.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:31 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
He might not be on borrowed time but how can you say that trade was the right thing to do? There is still 4 2nd round picks and a 3rd to come for a goalie who might not be back this year and the Hounds didn't make the playoffs last year.Seems like a bad deal to me.
Dallas has 6 Goalies under contract with Kari Lehtonen and Richard Bachman on 1 way deals while Campbell, Maxime Legace, Tyler Beskorowany and Christopher Nihlstrop signed to 2-way contracts. Beskorowany was the Backup to Raycroft/Bachman last season in Texas and will likely be playing for a spot with Nihlstrop who came over from Sweden along with both Legace and Campbell who can come back for an OA season with the Greyhounds/PEI. Im sure just like Toronto did with Kenny last season i wouldnt be surprised to see Campbell go between the AHL and ECHL.

Old
07-31-2012, 02:01 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
They had a solid veteran core, at least on the ice or on paper, and all they needed was a veteran in net to help Murray out. Nishi wasn't going to be the answer, so they went out and got Campbell. What'd they give up? ONE pick this year, picks down the road which can be re-acquired, a fringe roster player (who barely saw the light of day in Windsor), and the rights to a college player who wasn't going to report to SSM.

Giving up what amounts to very little from the current roster, but bringing in a potential world-class goaltender, screams "I want to win now!"

His biggest mistake was not dealing for more. He got the ball rolling with the Campbell deal, but he failed to deliver on the "nail in the coffin" deals that would have sent them to the playoffs.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:01 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
They had a solid veteran core, at least on the ice or on paper, and all they needed was a veteran in net to help Murray out. Nishi wasn't going to be the answer, so they went out and got Campbell. What'd they give up? ONE pick this year, picks down the road which can be re-acquired, a fringe roster player (who barely saw the light of day in Windsor), and the rights to a college player who wasn't going to report to SSM.

Giving up what amounts to very little from the current roster, but bringing in a potential world-class goaltender, screams "I want to win now!"

His biggest mistake was not dealing for more. He got the ball rolling with the Campbell deal, but he failed to deliver on the "nail in the coffin" deals that would have sent them to the playoffs.
If a team with a solid veteran core and a world class goalie can't make the playoffs when 80% of the teams do, something is very wrong with that evaluation. Lets not re-write history for the Hounds. Just because the team's squawk boxes said they had good veterans doesn't make it true. If any team is fighting for the last playoff spot they have more holes than can be filled in a season to became champions. If making the playoffs was the goal a much cheaper option could have band aided them into the post season. Lets flip the coin and talk some Spitfires, how good are they if they removed their world class goalie had a very wet behind the ears line up and still ended up looking down at the Hounds in the standings.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
So ignore any positive based on a single trade? I have yet to meet a person who has not made a mistake, if Kyle Dubas should be fired for his misread of his team, then none of us can ever make a single mistake.

We are all in trouble in our jobs if thats the standard.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 07-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think 2 of those 2nd rounders are gone in the form of acquiring Devlin and Marchese. Jury is still out of both of those but thus far neither have looked that good.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
If a team with a solid veteran core and a world class goalie can't make the playoffs when 80% of the teams do, something is very wrong with that evaluation. Lets not re-write history for the Hounds. Just because the team's squawk boxes said they had good veterans doesn't make it true. If any team is fighting for the last playoff spot they have more holes than can be filled in a season to became champions. If making the playoffs was the goal a much cheaper option could have band aided them into the post season. Lets flip the coin and talk some Spitfires, how good are they if they removed their world class goalie had a very wet behind the ears line up and still ended up looking down at the Hounds in the standings.
They had a legit team, but off-ice stuff (from what I've read) wasn't helping anything.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
I want to know, from those who believe Dubas is on borrowed time, what he's done wrong so far.
I was criticizing Dubas using an import pick in the same way one registers a website to cybersquat. If that is an example of his long term vision of building a team, that's pretty lame. Building by hoping someone else does something is not exactly the mark of a long term constructor.

However, I agree that one year does not represent a career so Dubas does deserve patience to improve the outlook shown so far.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
etr102

Some of you guys will be very happy with this news, but I for one am not.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/07...roadcast-crew/

Thoughts?

Old
07-31-2012, 06:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post

Thoughts?
This isn't going to be good, the comment "this environment will provide the opportunity to mentor new talent and increase access to the channe for other (on air) people."

Sounds like a trainwreck of inexperienced people to learn on the job. Considering I don't like going to games and prefer to watch them on tv it will be interesting to say the least what Cogeco comes up with.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Ottomatic

So we're getting St. Clair College students doing the announcing- Hell I guess this is one way to get folks to go to the games.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
OHLTG

While I'm not going to say how I know, I've been told the announce team will be a former radio guy and a former OHL player that Windsor fans will recognize. The analyst appears to be TBD.

That said, I'm really frustrated with this whole situation. I know people weren't huge fans of this trio, but Dom was a fixture for years (as long as I can remember) and Bill is easily one of the nicest guys I've met. These guys are going to be missed more than most people want to believe. I'd also take their bias (big or small, that's not up to me to decide) over a neutral, boring broadcast...and there are some of those out there. Hopefully the guys find jobs locally and we can hear/watch them soon!!

Old
07-31-2012, 10:00 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
While I'm not going to say how I know, I've been told the announce team will be a former radio guy and a former OHL player that Windsor fans will recognize. The analyst appears to be TBD.

That said, I'm really frustrated with this whole situation. I know people weren't huge fans of this trio, but Dom was a fixture for years (as long as I can remember) and Bill is easily one of the nicest guys I've met. These guys are going to be missed more than most people want to believe. I'd also take their bias (big or small, that's not up to me to decide) over a neutral, boring broadcast...and there are some of those out there. Hopefully the guys find jobs locally and we can hear/watch them soon!!
If it's Steve Bell then I could digest that but from the article in the paper and what Scussolin says it doesn't sound like a Steve Bell.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
OHLTG

It's not Steve Bell (nor anyone on Windsor radio/TV that I've heard of).

Old
08-01-2012, 06:55 AM
goalpostmahoney

From a real reliable source John Cullen has been interviewed sounds like he could be doing some colour. From what I have been told Dom was let go, and Kelso and Trenny bowwed out in support of Dom.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:03 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post

Thoughts?
If I had to put money on it (and I don't) I'd bet on on a trio of fresh faced announcers/color guys that cogeco feels will appeal to the younger generation of fans. I'm sure that the fact that they'll be paid less than the present veteran group has nothing to do with it.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:32 AM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Sounds like a trainwreck of inexperienced people to learn on the job.
Of course, this is in sharp contrast to the trainwreck of experienced people who never learned their job that formed the outgoing crew.

With Kelso being the exception, Papa and Trenholm were no better than the stammering and bumbling rookies that could be expected. From Trenholm abstaining from sharing on ice goings on from his between the glass position to Papa being unable to do play-by-play, it should be very easy for the new crew to exceed these "standards" of broadcasting.

Cullen would be quite enjoyable particularly with his connection to the current lockerroom. Plus a colour commentator who played the game would already be a plus.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:46 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Of course, this is in sharp contrast to the trainwreck of experienced people who never learned their job that formed the outgoing crew.

With Kelso being the exception, Papa and Trenholm were no better than the stammering and bumbling rookies that could be expected. From Trenholm abstaining from sharing on ice goings on from his between the glass position to Papa being unable to do play-by-play, it should be very easy for the new crew to exceed these "standards" of broadcasting.

Cullen would be quite enjoyable particularly with his connection to the current lockerroom. Plus a colour commentator who played the game would already be a plus.
That would be interesting. I don't blame Trenholm as I said his role is so small a 7 second tidbit between the benches 2-3 times a period. During a game he may get close to 1 minute of air time total. Not so sure Cullen would be that good, what makes him qualified to be a commentator? The fact he has a connection to the current lockerroom is something you should stay away from you should want an impartial person who can call it like he sees it. If he has connections he may prefer to keep his thoughts to himself. Eg. former player Tim McCarver is a horrible color commentator who drones on about meaningless stuff that has nothing to do with the game. Mateen Cleaves sometimes does Pistons games and has no idea what he's talking about. It's my experience watching sports the best color guys are the ones that never played the game at a high level.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:21 AM
cfaub

Not a fan of this move, these were local guys doing a local service as much as anything else.

A bit of homerism? Of course and it was appreciated. It is nice to hear the local take on the leagues as a whole and part of that comes throgh in the play by play. It is JR. hockey and like any other local sports with a local broacast you expect to hear that support come through for the local team.

As for former athletes being part of a broadcast it is better done when they are a few years removed from the game, especially if it is with their former team. A bit of homerism is great and can add to the broadcast but it can also become a distraction when the connection appears to be too imtimate.

I think Cullen could be a nice addition to the broadcasts down the road, right now however is not the time for him. Go to school, get an education and grow a bit as an individual before getting into the broadcast booth. When he brings more than just experience as a JR player to the broadcast then he may be a fine addition. Until then, he has a ways to go.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:33 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
Not a fan of this move, these were local guys doing a local service as much as anything else.

A bit of homerism? Of course and it was appreciated. It is nice to hear the local take on the leagues as a whole and part of that comes throgh in the play by play. It is JR. hockey and like any other local sports with a local broacast you expect to hear that support come through for the local team.

As for former athletes being part of a broadcast it is better done when they are a few years removed from the game, especially if it is with their former team. A bit of homerism is great and can add to the broadcast but it can also become a distraction when the connection appears to be too imtimate.

I think Cullen could be a nice addition to the broadcasts down the road, right now however is not the time for him. Go to school, get an education and grow a bit as an individual before getting into the broadcast booth. When he brings more than just experience as a JR player to the broadcast then he may be a fine addition. Until then, he has a ways to go.
I agree with all of this. If you look at the Kitchener Rangers you have Scott Dickie doing color commentary but he's now 7-8 years removed from playing for the Rangers he doesn't really have a connection other than being a former Ranger. Scott Dickie is ok at what he does but he's rather pedestrian he doesn't seem to add a lot.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:33 AM
HLLYWD99

I always liked Poppa for his knowledge and understanding how the League worked.

Kelso was a serious homer, (most calling games are) but he was still entertaining.

Trenholm was awkward like most of the guys doing his job in the League.
It will be interesting to hear what the Spits ownership and Management think of the move.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:57 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I agree with all of this. If you look at the Kitchener Rangers you have Scott Dickie doing color commentary but he's now 7-8 years removed from playing for the Rangers he doesn't really have a connection other than being a former Ranger. Scott Dickie is ok at what he does but he's rather pedestrian he doesn't seem to add a lot.
Dickie is horrible. The one plus he brings is from the perspective of a goalie, but the rest of the time, he struggles.

For the Windsor guys, I liked Dom -- you could tell he just loves junior hockey and was excited to interview an opposing player as he was to interview a Spit.

Bill Kelso is a raging homer, and as a fan of an opposing team, he won't be missed.

I think this is a big mistake for Cogeco, but I guess we'll wait to see how it all plays out.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:17 AM
etr102

Maybe this was somehow budget related?

Did Dom and Kelso earn a decent salary, or were they essentially volunteers?

Maybe the money spent on the upgrade to HD, the money isn't in the budget to keep them?

It's a shame. Dom has done a LOT to promote local sports (not just hockey) over the years. You can often see him attending Windsor Selects games, Windsor Stars, Windsor A.A., etc. He has never had a broadcaster type of voice, but I actually liked that about him.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:01 PM
spits2timechamps

I'm not really sure how I feel about this whole thing. On one hand I hated the fact that when you were listening to the games you never knew what period or how much time was left all the time. Also when Kelso first started If you weren't listening to every minute of the game you would never know which team actually scored. You'd hear him go nuts and be excited and then you hear...."WHAT AN AMASING SHOT BY JARED KNIGHT!!!!" .....ughhhhhh I absolutely hate that!!!! He did get a little better last season so we could kind of tell which team scored if we happened to enter the room but still not much of a loss. As for Papa he is mostly missed because of his longevity I mean most of us if not all of us first started watching the spits and he was the one you'd always see walking down the hall in the ol' barn.

I just want a guy that shows that he is a SPITFIRE'S comentator not a OHL comentator. I don't want to hear excitement or praise when the knights score I could care less if you'd cut out the volume when they do.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Sec108

At least we dont have to hear any more "OH MYYY!!!" from Papa.

Papa was horrible most times not going to miss him.Kelso was passable next to the other OHL play by play guys.But i think they wanted to be more politically correct and install a female and minority in the mix.3 white guys these days just dont cut it.

Closed Thread