HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sandpaper on every line?

Old
08-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
This thread just makes me want Doan that much more. Replace Leino with Doan in any of these line combinations and they just make so much more sense.

He can add defense and toughness to the first line with Vanek and Hodgson or complete a perfect shutdown, checking 3rd line with say Ott and Girgensons. Not to say Zemgus will certainly make the team but those three together are dominant in my head.
Is Doan so much better than Arnott? I mean, we could sure use some veteran leadership, preferably at center, but isn't Arnott a perfect fit for that? He'd come alot cheaper, and with a ring as proof that he knows what it takes to win the Cup.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Is Doan so much better than Arnott? I mean, we could sure use some veteran leadership, preferably at center, but isn't Arnott a perfect fit for that? He'd come alot cheaper, and with a ring as proof that he knows what it takes to win the Cup.
TBH id try to grab both.

Vanek - Hodgeson - Doan
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Ott - Leino - Pomminville
Gerbe - Arnott - Kaleta

Scott
Ellis
McCormick

That would be a hard lineup to play against. You have some toughness spread through the roster, and have 4 lines with offensive upside, and 2 that can shut opponants down. Not to mention TONS of depth. You could switch Pommer and Doan, to give more scoring touch to the top line as needed.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Well, like HiddenInLight said, what's stopping us from grabbing both? But really, Arnott's only advantage is position. Doan is producing more offensively, has about 200 more hits a season, kills penalties and is better defensively overall. They're not comparable in my eyes. I wouldn't mind adding Arnott for veteran leadership and center depth, but not as a cheap alternative to Doan.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Lotsa people forgetting McCormick....and the fact that ott isn't a center -_-
There's a very real possibility that Ott could move to center here if another one isn't brought in. And people are probably forgetting about McCormick because he's an awful hockey player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Not only can I not see Tropp on our #1 line, but I agree with above poster that he may not even make the roster

Lindy Ruff has done it before and he'll do it again - he doesn't always use a "number one" line. Tropp finished the year with those two and should he make the team, he'll likely be there again.

Seriously, if it makes you feel better, I guess we just have to start listing the lines this way:

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp/Foligno-Ennis-Stafford/Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

No no. 1 line.

Ruff's interviews all summer long, praise of Tropp and vows to be a tougher team to play against indicate that Corey will be given a very good chance to crack the lineup.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ruff's comments indicate they want to go in this direction now. We'll see how it works out.

08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ruff's comments indicate they want to go in this direction now. We'll see how it works out.
I'd imagine that's where their interest in Ryan and Doan stems from. It also explains their lack of interest in Semin.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp/Foligno-Ennis-Stafford/Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

No no. 1 line.

Ruff's interviews all summer long, praise of Tropp and vows to be a tougher team to play against indicate that Corey will be given a very good chance to crack the lineup.
I hate it. Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta should not be a 2nd line.

Count me as a Tropp supporter, but I would love to see him in Rochester next year. Not because he doesn't deserve to be in Buffalo but because it means we have enough quality players ahead of him. When injuries came about we didn't have enough depth to continue to be competitive. Having Tropp in Rochester as a call up would be nice. Sucks for him to have to go back down to start the season but likely means we are a stronger team.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'd imagine that's where their interest in Ryan and Doan stems from. It also explains their lack of interest in Semin.
Agreed, probably contributing factors in all three rumblings.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
tmack224

Ott-Grigorenko-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Hodgson-Pomminville
Gerbe-Mccormick-Kaleta
Scott

I dont think Z makes the roster yet maybe next year. I do Think Grigs is gonna make it. Tropp will get called up for injuries. Scott will play in Boston and games like that. Just my guess

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
slip

Quote:
Good in theory, but seems like more "paper than sand" as far as actual roster makeup is concerned.

Who knows, a full year of Foligno and a motivated Ott might convince me otherwise.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Foligno Ennis Stafford
Vanek Hodgson Pomminville
Leino Ott Gerbe
Ellis McCormick Kaleta

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Leino Ott Gerbe
Ellis McCormick Kaleta

Stanley Cup Caliber team right there!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Relying on youngins for all the scoring line jam is not gonna work. Ruff is going to have to juggle the lines on a nightly basis. There are times when Ott should be on the top line. We will see it all.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Deevo

Quote:
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Leino Ott Gerbe
Ellis McCormick Kaleta

Goddd I hope this isn't how we start the season.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
If the goal is to spread out the tough stick Ott with Vanek and Hodgson.... He's been a 20 goal scorer a couple times... That's all he needs to be on that line. Create some space for Vanek and Hodgson, and crash the net.... I actually kinda like it.

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Girgensons-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
I'm envisioning the 1st and 4th lines just as you listed them - with the 2nd and 3rd lines having the questionmarks in bold as "TBD".

If Doan is added, I'd expect him to slide into Stafford's spot and Stafford to become a chip in a trade for a center to play in the other boldfaced opening.

If Ryan is added, I'd imagine Stafford would be part of the package going the other way. In that scenario, I think the center slot on Pominville's line is filled with a free agent center (Arnott, Langkow, Moore or Betts).

If a scoring winger isn't added like Doan or Ryan, I think Regier tries to package a winger, defenseman and prospects/picks to acquire a scoring center for the slot between Pominville and Leino.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Perhaps another question to raise is -- on the nights Scott is deemed to be needed, who comes out of the lineup?

Old
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Perhaps another question to raise is -- on the nights Scott is deemed to be needed, who comes out of the lineup?
Whoever was on the ice that didn't stick up for their teammate the last time we played that team, making Scott necessary.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Whoever was on the ice that didn't stick up for their teammate the last time we played that team, making Scott necessary.
I look at the current personnel and what people do well, it's hard to see someone who screams "sit me". Gerbe and Kaleta are strong d-zone guys who bring their own hardwork and physical play. Leino? I can't see them sitting him. McCormick is around to provide some of the knucklechucking... take him out and it's just a case of Scott getting ALL of the work and no one to really back him up.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
McTank

Quote:
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Leino Ott Gerbe
Ellis McCormick Kaleta

I dont even think thats bad

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Well, like HiddenInLight said, what's stopping us from grabbing both? But really, Arnott's only advantage is position. Doan is producing more offensively, has about 200 more hits a season, kills penalties and is better defensively overall. They're not comparable in my eyes. I wouldn't mind adding Arnott for veteran leadership and center depth, but not as a cheap alternative to Doan.
What's stopping us? I was gonna say "common sense" but that flew out the window a long time ago, so I'm gonna go with "cap" instead. Once Ennis is signed, will there really be enough cap space left for both Doan and Arnott? But besides that, as much as I'd like to see Doan on my team, I don't want him for the amount of money and years he is said to be asking for. I can't even afford to dream about him!

And that is why I don't take him into consideration.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
I look at the current personnel and what people do well, it's hard to see someone who screams "sit me". Gerbe and Kaleta are strong d-zone guys who bring their own hardwork and physical play. Leino? I can't see them sitting him. McCormick is around to provide some of the knucklechucking... take him out and it's just a case of Scott getting ALL of the work and no one to really back him up.
There will be injuries.

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Quote:
I see it in a WBO / IBO light:

Heavy-weight = Scott
Middle-weight = McCormick, Ott, Regehr, Foligno
Light-weight = Kaleta, Weber, Tropp
Feather-weight = Ehrhoff, Myers

I think Ruff will judge how many "tough guys" the opponent may dress on a night to night basis and evaluate what class of toughness he needs to have. Obviously, with teams like Boston, it'll be necessary to roll out the heavy-weights; against less intimidating teams, the middle-weights or light-weights may be enough.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Dubi Doo

This year should be entertaining atleast. With Ott and Kaleta stirring the pot and Scott and McCormick dishing out the beatings.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
This year should be entertaining atleast. With Ott and Kaleta stirring the pot and Scott and McCormick dishing out the beatings.
Visions of the Nolan era (1995-97) are sure to be rekindled, when the Sabres had more than their share of agitators / brawlers (Ray, May, Barnaby, Peca, Boughner, McKee, Burridge, Grosek). Even less-abrasive characters like Zhitnik, Galley and Shannon were inspired to 100+ in PIMs.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Digable5

Quote:
What's stopping us? I was gonna say "common sense" but that flew out the window a long time ago, so I'm gonna go with "cap" instead. Once Ennis is signed, will there really be enough cap space left for both Doan and Arnott? But besides that, as much as I'd like to see Doan on my team, I don't want him for the amount of money and years he is said to be asking for. I can't even afford to dream about him!

And that is why I don't take him into consideration.
If adding both is something we want/need to do it can be made to work out cap wise. Not only could an additional trade be made as many have suggested, but I'm someone in favor of sending Leino overseas to make room on the roster and under the cap in order to improve the team. Again, not saying I'm ready to give up on Leino if he has a place on the team, but should we sign Doan he's not necessary. And if moving him means we can add a player like Arnott, a true veteran center and cup winner, then make it happen.

Arnott, IMO, isn't really what this team needs. However, options are running thin and I wouldn't mind bringing him in. Its just not a cap concern for me.