HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stafford to Pens.....

Old
08-01-2012, 09:01 AM
mwalluk

vCash: 500
Stafford to Pens.....

What would it take to get Stafford from the Sabres? I know you have a couple good young D in the waiting, but could you use more? What about a package of Tangradi/Jeffrey/Kennedy and prospect/picks?

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
What would it take to get Stafford from the Sabres? I know you have a couple good young D in the waiting, but could you use more? What about a package of Tangradi/Jeffrey/Kennedy and prospect/picks?
Not really interested in downgrading the offense for what you're offering. Buffalo already has a pretty good stable of young defensemen waiting in the wings (as well as on the team already) so that isn't much of a need either. Tangradi's just not able to put it together consistently enough to be of interest at this point -- it seems like he's a bit behind on the development curve.

08-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Talked about last week or 2 weeks ago and didn't work out for both fan bases, doubt it has changed

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:49 AM
HiddenInLight

I don't think Pittsburgh and Buffalo make good trading partners. Prospect wise Buffalo now has Defensemen and Centers coming out of their ears, but need wingers. The Pens are in the same boat, no?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I don't think Pittsburgh and Buffalo make good trading partners. Prospect wise Buffalo now has Defensemen and Centers coming out of their ears, but need wingers. The Pens are in the same boat, no?
Yup, need wingers

Old
08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

If stafford has a slow start to his year again i would entertain Jeffery or Tangradi and a 1st in 2013.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Yup, need wingers
Someone on the Sabres board suggested a Adam for Jeffrey swap.

Adam is far better suited for wing than center. Jeffrey could be a decent 3C option for the Sabres.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
What about Sutter for Stafford? I'm neutral to both teams and feel that would be pretty fair. Sutter is good, but the Pens could easily fill that hole. Stafford would do great playing on the wing of Croz.

If I'm not mistaken, Sutter would probably be quite useful on the Sabres. Ennis may not be ready for that type of heavy lifting right now, and Sutter would allow them to fill that hole by committee until one of their young guns is able to step up and assume that role.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

Adam is far better suited for wing than center. Jeffrey could be a decent 3C option for the Sabres.
I doubt Shero would turn that down. Seems fair on both sides

Old
08-01-2012, 03:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
What about Sutter for Stafford? I'm neutral to both teams and feel that would be pretty fair. Sutter is good, but the Pens could easily fill that hole. Stafford would do great playing on the wing of Croz.

If I'm not mistaken, Sutter would probably be quite useful on the Sabres. Ennis may not be ready for that type of heavy lifting right now, and Sutter would allow them to fill that hole by committee until one of their young guns is able to step up and assume that role.
The issue is that the Sabres will have Grigorenko and Grigensons coming up anyways within the next couple years if not sooner. So we'd be looking more for a stopgap until they come--especially Girgensons, who would basically be our Sutter-type. Whereas we don't have the kind of talent coming up on the wings (basically just Armia) to replace Stafford (although we could always move Grigorenko, Girgensons, and/or Ennis to wing).

I think the value is fair. I would think though the deal only makes sense if the Sabres could add a Ryan or a Doan to replace Stafford, or if one of Grigs/Girgs shows they are ready to play at the NHL level.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Ryan/Doan/Grigs/Girgs
Ott-Sutter-Leino

Would look really nice as the top 9. It's just making sure we're not robbing Peter to pay Paul. And then when both Grigs/Girgs are ready simply deal with the center overload then. Ott-Sutter-Leino would make a very solid defensive checking line.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

I am somewhat into exploring how well Jeffery could do in a 3C role and playing Sutter on the wing actually, but this could work. Maybe...

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
tsujimoto74

Yeah, we make bad trading partners right now. Stafford only becomes expendable if we add another top 6 winger. Sutter is nice, but as others have said, we need a cheap stopgap solution at 3C (or any 3C we can get for a defender), not a 3C that costs us a top 6 forward.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post

Not disagreeing wildly about the value, but I'd rather see Sutter tried on the wing than traded for a winger tbh. He has most of the skills to succeed there and while he does not have all of them, neither does Stafford.

Also, Shero doesn't trade centers unless they force his hand, so I don't see him flipping one he just fought for getting on the team in the first place.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Cool guys, just my 2 cents. Cheers!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Reacher Gilt

Gerbe for Jeffery?

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
Gerbe for Jeffery?
Prefer Adam

Old
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
pigpen65

When is the last time the Sabres and Pens made a trade? Barnaby / Barnes?

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote