HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Mortem of a Terrible Power Play

Old
08-01-2012, 08:31 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Post-Mortem of a Terrible Power Play

Let's talk a bit about our despicable power play last year. I want to understand why it went to hell so badly, so quickly after having been one of the most dominating in the league.

First stage: the Before Kaberle

I remember one clear thing about this stage: the god-awful number of turnover we'd had. I remember even once that we celebrated the fact that our powerplay actually had a POSITIVE contribution (more goal scored than allowed on the PP).

Why was that? Were our passes WAY too obvious? Was our positioning bad?

We just couldn't hold the zone, no matter what. And forwards would cut our passing lanes like knife through butter.

Stage 2: Post-Kaberle

While people hate him, I believe he had a great effect on our power play. He is still a great passer, and the number of blueline turnover diminished dramatically after his arrival.

However, we still couldn't score. Camellari would miss every single shot he took. We could never recover the rebounds. Subban was hardly productive except when he attempted low-key plays.

What was wrong there? While not being a liability, the PP was clearly unproductive. Was it our inefficient forwards?

Stage 3: Cole used on PP/Camel traded

This marked a clear change in the powerplay efficiency. Although it is likely the team had given up by then.

Not relying on Camellari so much reduced the number of wild shots that left the zone. Subban took the duty of a more opportunistic passer, or simply forces himself rebound-probable shots rather than his sniped Power Shot he used us to. People here theorize that Subban lacked the right setup man to pass at him effectively. Maybe, and that leads us to...

Final Stage: The General

Yes, he was still recovering. Yes, he wasn't that effective.

Nevertheless, we immediately seen the difference he made in Our PP. Subban's power shot were much more precise.

Yet, we didn't had a menacing power play, even then. What happened? I'm out of explanation.

Someone care to step in and help us understand? Boucher, can you shed some insights?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Kriss E

We just didn't have the proper units. We tried Plekanec on the point for too long. We had two guys that aren't creative with the puck, MaxPac and Cole, on the same unit.
Until Kaberle came, we didn't have a QB. So we had to rely on youngsters that aren't really QBs either.
When Kaberle did get here, that took care of that problem, but he's a lefty, so we didn't have another lefty tht could be used as a good point shot option.
We also didnt use the guy with the 2nd best shot on our team (with the best hands) all that much, in AK.

We still don't have a left handed point shot, or a righty QB.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Constant injuries, Subban trying to do way too much, no Gionta, below average 2nd unit especially on D=Piss poor

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:54 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I think early on, we just could get the pp set up, teams were cleaning the puck so easily, half the pp was just skating back to get the puck, it was a huge reason for our 1-5-3 start.

I think after Kaberle came it did get better, we didn't score much more, but at least got chances, and had some good offensive zero time.

I'm not a fan of AK, but he was missed used on the pp, his whole time here, he was asked to play in front of the net, something Cole or Patches should be doing (split them up on the pp), AK should have been put on the top right side of the faceoff circle, to take adv of his great shot, I understand they had Kovy, and Cammy at that spot, but they should have put him on a different pp unit.

And to be honest, its kinda funny but I think we have too many guys that are good in-front of the net on the pp but no real "goal scorer" to score from the outside,Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty, and even Bourque score a lot of their pp goals around the net.

But if Markov is back to 100%, its going to help out a lot, but that allows Kaberle to play on the 2nd unit of the pp. His point total might drop from how he played last year (as a Hab), but should give us a great pp.

If we can get a top 10 PP back, and keep our strong PK in the top 10, we'll make the playoffs. In the past 3 years, every team that was ranked top 10 in both special teams made the playoffs.

Last edited by habs03: 08-01-2012 at 09:01 AM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:00 AM
CGG

Kaberle really did help. People will laugh at that, and I forget the nubmers, but our PP was about 11.4% without him, and 17.3% with him. That's a 50% improvement.

And while we can claim Subban was ineffective, he still scored 5 goals on the PP - good for 8th in the league. And while everyone now hates Weber, he still potted 4 goals on the PP - good for 16th in the league.

This leads me to believe the problem was really with the forwards. An awful Cammalleri, useless Bourque, Gionta hurt, Pleks stuck at the point instead of down low, and it took a while for Cole to actually produce on the PP too - it's really not his thing.

We'll see a dramatic improvement in the PP next year. How can we not? It now features:

PK Subban - led the league in PP goals by a D in his rookie season. Has 14 of them over his 2 full years in the league - only Chara and Shea Weber have more (16 each).

Andrei Markov - was the best in the business before injuries. Led the league with 39 PP points in his last full season. Has made Souray, Streit and (to a lesser degree) Bergeron rich defensemen.

Tomas Kaberle - led the league in PP points with 51 (!) the season after the lockout, and was still top 10 in 2010-11 when everyone claimed he already sucked.

Those 3 guys will figure it out. Adding full-time Gionta with a much-needed right handed shot is just a bonus.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:02 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I have 2 words for you

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:07 AM
DAChampion

The power play of the last several years is based on:

Sheldon Sourray
Mark Streit
Mathieu Schneider
Marc-Andre Bergeron
James Wisniewski

When we have one of those guys we do well, without them we do badly. It doesn't matter of Markov or whoever else is the quarterback... what we need is a triggerman.

I remember when Bergeron was signed. We had a weak PP, and it immediately took off. It took off partly because Bergeron would score goals, and partly because the opposing defensemen would try and deal with Bergeron, creating space for other players.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The power play of the last several years is based on:

Sheldon Sourray
Mark Streit
Mathieu Schneider
Marc-Andre Bergeron
James Wisniewski

When we have one of those guys we do well, without them we do badly. It doesn't matter of Markov or whoever else is the quarterback... what we need is a triggerman.

I remember when Bergeron was signed. We had a weak PP, and it immediately took off. It took off partly because Bergeron would score goals, and partly because the opposing defensemen would try and deal with Bergeron, creating space for other players.
Very true,

except, the Wiz actually ended by being the QB, teams overplayed him, and he just would then just dish to it Subban.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:17 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
I have 2 words for you

This. A well-coached PP and PK can make any unit look good

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:20 AM
shutehinside

I say leave last year dead ad buried. It was a blessing in disguise. We got new management, a new direction and an elite level prospect.

1 step back, 3 steps forward.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Fozz

Using Gorges or Campoli on the 2nd PP unit didn't help. I kept hoping they would give Emelin a try but they never did.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
I have 2 words for you

Andrei Kostsytsyn?

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:09 AM
DAChampion

Emelin apparently has a good shot.

Somebody had posted a reason as to why he wasn't used on the point, but I don't remember what the reason was.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Roulin

The Pearn firing didn't help. Classic panic and scapegoating that just made things worse.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Won't happen, but I'd love to see Markov, Kaberle and Subban together running a umbrella PP this year.

Something like this :

--------Markov--------

-Kaberle-------Subban-

---XXX------XXX---
--------I___I-------

Of course, Subban would be in a perfect situation to use his one timer from the left side with 2 great passers, but he could also take more chances and drive the net at will.

But then yeah, we'd have no 2nd wave on the PP.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Andrei Kostsytsyn?
Lol no...

Tommy Pyatt

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

No strength along the boards

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have 2 words for you

i kept saying that since last year the loss kirk would hurt us and it did and sadly while i'm excited we got a new coaching staff, we did not get anyone that can motivate like kirk

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
elsubz

Not using Emelin or Kostitsyn was blashphemy.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Carey Chant

Just imagine what Captain Kirk can do with the Frisbees powerplay now that they added Semin and Staal. They have a very good shot at the playoffs.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Roulin

IIRC, Muller was never the assistant in charge of the Habs PP, it was Jarvis and then Pearn? I believe Muller was given PK duties.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

Final Stage: The General

Yes, he was still recovering. Yes, he wasn't that effective.

Nevertheless, we immediately seen the difference he made in Our PP. Subban's power shot were much more precise.

Yet, we didn't had a menacing power play, even then. What happened? I'm out of explanation.
Good summary. I think at the end what was missing was a dangerous winger on the right side who can at least shoot. Maybe Patches can do this he has a pretty accurate shot.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Mrb1p

Easy...

Desharnais-Eller-Patches
Markov-Subban
Deharnais behind the line, patches on the halfboard, eller in the slot, Subban at the point Markov at the upper half-board(is this how you call it ?)

Cole(Eller)-Plekanec(DD)-Gionta(Patches)
Kaberle(Markov)-Weber/Emelin(Subban)

We lack a finisher on the 2nd PP.. Gio or Cole can take this place for this year.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Not using Emelin or Kostitsyn was blashphemy.
And using gomez over eller.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:41 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And using gomez over eller.
Damn it. You had to go out and say that?!

All right people. /thread. Nothing to discuss any longer. Gomez on the PP clearly was the real fail

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote