HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
London is a terrible venue for the olympics. The "beach" volleyball women are completely covered by jumpsuits. No bikinis. One of the only summer sports worth watching is ruined
Its been a cold summer all over europe sadly...

Old
07-31-2012, 08:10 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

If you call 35+ C cold...

Old
07-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
If you call 35+ C cold...
Ok, in northern europe Cold and rainy...

Old
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
London is a terrible venue for the olympics. The "beach" volleyball women are completely covered by jumpsuits. No bikinis. One of the only summer sports worth watching is ruined
shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
It's also a sport where you can be an overweight pitcher who can't run a 10 minute mile and still be the best pitcher. At least in hockey, basketball, soccer, tennis, they are fit athletes with good conditioning unlike some in baseball (pitchers), football (linemen), and golf, who are really overweight and out of shape.
That is not a good thing!

Old
07-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
It's also a sport where you can be an overweight pitcher who can't run a 10 minute mile and still be the best pitcher. At least in hockey, basketball, soccer, tennis, they are fit athletes with good conditioning unlike some in baseball (pitchers), football (linemen), and golf, who are really overweight and out of shape.
Go play football and then tell me a lineman is not an athlete.

Yeah, a lot of them are fat, but they need that weight. Same with sumo wrestlers. They are great athletes who eat specifically to put on weight. There's a big difference between fat and out of shape.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:12 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Go play football and then tell me a lineman is not an athlete.

Yeah, a lot of them are fat, but they need that weight. Same with sumo wrestlers. They are great athletes who eat specifically to put on weight. There's a big difference between fat and out of shape.
But some linemen don't have good conditioning. Especially the massive run-stopping defensive linemen. They play a few bursts of 7 seconds and have to come out to catch their breath. And almost all football linemen are not in any kind of condition to pay a continuous action game like rugby.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
But some linemen don't have good conditioning. Especially the massive run-stopping defensive linemen. They play a few bursts of 7 seconds and have to come out to catch their breath. And almost all football linemen are not in any kind of condition to pay a continuous action game like rugby.
They train specifically for their sport, just like most athletes. Their sport doesn't included long-distance running and endurance, so they don't train for it.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Go play football and then tell me a lineman is not an athlete. Yeah, a lot of them are fat, but they need that weight. Same with sumo wrestlers. They are great athletes who eat specifically to put on weight. There's a big difference between fat and out of shape.
I played football at Milton College and a linemen is not an athlete. My teammates admitted it. They threw up if the coach made them run 100 yards. They and their wives are struggling with serious health related issues from gaining 100 extra pounds that their bodies were not meant to carry. I'll pm you their info if you'd like to tell them that heart problems and knee replacements are a good thing. I'm not kidding. What Canadian college or university did you play American football at?

Sumo wrestlers can't even wipe their own butts. They have to have people do it for them. Seriously, look it up and the life expectancy of a sumo wrestler while you're at it. Admire them if you want to, but I don't. My friend Rob was a 2 time NCAA champ in wrestling and you think a sumo is as good an athlete as him, an Olympic champion, or someone like Bobby Orr? I disagree.

Retired NFL Linemen at Greater Risk than non- linemen for Cardiovascular Disease ... and obstructive sleep apnea assessments to detect cardiovascular health problems ...
www.livingheartfoundation.org/june2006.pdf

Retired NFL players' arteries may not be so healthy | Reuters
[Mar 16, 2010] ... on the field, retired National Football League players may be facing the same health problems ... told Reuters Health. Two years ago, he found that retired linemen ...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...s-nfl-arteries... - Cached
More results from reuters.com »

Health News: Many Ex-NFL Linemen at Risk for Heart Disease
MONDAY, June 5 (HealthDay News) -- Fifty percent of retired National Football League linemen have ... that increasing your weight to play a sport can lead to health problems http://www.lifeclinic.com/fullpage.a...=533083&type=1

Old
07-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I played football at Milton College and a linemen is not an athlete. My teammates admitted it. They threw up if the coach made them run 100 yards. They and their wives are struggling with serious health related issues from gaining 100 extra pounds that their bodies were not meant to carry. I'll pm you their info if you'd like to tell them that heart problems and knee replacements are a good thing. I'm not kidding. What Canadian college or university did you play American football at?

Sumo wrestlers can't even wipe their own butts. They have to have people do it for them. Seriously, look it up and the life expectancy of a sumo wrestler while you're at it. Admire them if you want to, but I don't. My friend Rob was a 2 time NCAA champ in wrestling and you think a sumo is as good an athlete as him, an Olympic champion, or someone like Bobby Orr? I disagree.

Retired NFL Linemen at Greater Risk than non- linemen for Cardiovascular Disease ... and obstructive sleep apnea assessments to detect cardiovascular health problems ...
www.livingheartfoundation.org/june2006.pdf

Retired NFL players' arteries may not be so healthy | Reuters
[Mar 16, 2010] ... on the field, retired National Football League players may be facing the same health problems ... told Reuters Health. Two years ago, he found that retired linemen ...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...s-nfl-arteries... - Cached
More results from reuters.com »

Health News: Many Ex-NFL Linemen at Risk for Heart Disease
MONDAY, June 5 (HealthDay News) -- Fifty percent of retired National Football League linemen have ... that increasing your weight to play a sport can lead to health problems http://www.lifeclinic.com/fullpage.a...=533083&type=1
We'll just gave to agree to disagree.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Senators captain Alfredsson stays another season (Yahoo! Sports) "- 15 hours ago" OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) -- Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson is returning for another season.
Jagr, Selanne, all are coming back. Is Alfie a HHoFer? Last year in the pre-season I said the Kings will not win the Cup, so this year I'm gonna agree with all reading this, be right, and say the Leafs will the Cup!

Old
08-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Jagr, Selanne, all are coming back. Is Alfie a HHoFer? Last year in the pre-season I said the Kings will not win the Cup, so this year I'm gonna agree with all reading this, be right, and say the Leafs will the Cup!
If Sundin's a Hall of Famer, how can Alfredsson not be?

Old
08-01-2012, 07:20 AM
jkrx

Alfredsson should be a lock.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:43 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Alfie has my vote.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
If Sundin's a Hall of Famer, how can Alfredsson not be?
Alfredsson has less puck skills but more intangibles than Sundin. The VERY first thing I thought when I shockingly heard Sundin got in this year on the first ballot was: Alfie will eventually. (...okay, that was thought number two. The first was" omg, how Toronto-centric was that selection?)

Old
08-01-2012, 10:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
(...okay, that was thought number two. The first was" omg, how Toronto-centric was that selection?)
I keep hearing this, but I just can't see the exclusion of Shanahan -- a Toronto native who played junior in London, won three gold medals for Team Canada, and now lives and works in Toronto -- as being a Toronto-centric decision.

It's kind of weird to see such a reaction after a Swede with big international credentials makes it in over a Johnny Canuck like Shanny.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:19 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I keep hearing this, but I just can't see the exclusion of Shanahan -- a Toronto native who played junior in London, won three gold medals for Team Canada, and now lives and works in Toronto -- as being a Toronto-centric decision..
I have watched Shanny his ENTIRE career and NEVER associated him with Toronto, despite knowing his childhood. I am, of course, talking about Sundin and the Maple Leafs and all those who love them and him in the T.O. area. His childhood in Sweden is about as beside the point as Shanny's!

Old
08-01-2012, 10:22 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I have watched Shanny his ENTIRE career and NEVER associated him with Toronto, despite knowing his childhood. I am, of course, talking about the Maple Leafs and all those who love them in the T.O. area.
Me neither. Shanahan is, to me and probably many more, forever associated with the Blues and the Wings and to a smaller extent the Devils and Rangers. I havent even thought of him as a Toronto person.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Me neither. Shanahan is, to me and probably many more, forever associated with the Blues and the Wings and to a smaller extent the Devils and Rangers. I havent even thought of him as a Toronto person.
I don't think of him that way either, but TBH that strikes me as just being a fan. I think of virtually every NHL player in terms of where they played, not where they lived. Different for the HOF voters who actually know them on a personal level.

In other words, I'd perceive it as Toronto-centric if Sundin beat Shanahan on an HFBoards poll. As an induction into the Hall, I'm not so sure that their team affiliation played such a big role.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:31 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't think of him that way either, but TBH that strikes me as just being a fan. I think of virtually every NHL player in terms of where they played, not where they lived. Different for the HOF voters who actually know them on a personal level.

In other words, I'd perceive it as Toronto-centric if Sundin beat Shanahan on an HFBoards poll. As an induction into the Hall, I'm not so sure that their team affiliation played such a big role.
I don't know if it did but if there were any bias my guess is that being the captain for the leafs weighs heavier than playing junior in London.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Velociraptor

I'd love to see Alfredsson get in the HHOF, he was my first favorite hockey player. Real class act and phenomenal hockey player, I think if Sundin got in on the first ballot, Alfie could have just as good a chance to get in on his first, more realistically second ballot.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I don't know if it did but if there were any bias my guess is that being the captain for the leafs weighs heavier than playing junior in London.
Please don't misrepresent what I said.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I'd love to see Alfredsson get in the HHOF, he was my first favorite hockey player. Real class act and phenomenal hockey player, I think if Sundin got in on the first ballot, Alfie could have just as good a chance to get in on his first, more realistically second ballot.
Alfie getting in before or at the same time as Shanahan and Lindros would be a felony.

It's weird how we as fans and voters think of the Halls of Fames. There's no official special category first ballot HoFer, but that's how we think of it. It's also very political.

Ryne Sandberg of the Chicago Cubs was the all time leader among second basemen in homers and fielding % at the time he retired, but he played for bad teams, was very shy, and did not talk to the media. The voters punished him with a second year induction and there was nothing in the national media.

If Derek Jeter had retired after the last Yankees World Series victory and the same thing happened to Mr Yankee, it would have been a huge national scandal, although his individual accomplishments would not have been as good. He won the 2011 Gold Glove, although according to fielding metrics, he had the worst range of any shortstop in the major leagues. If you get to fewer balls, your fielding percentage will be higher, because you have less chance for errors. It's all politics.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
At the beginning of January Bernie Nicholls returned to the Los Angeles Kings. It wasn't in a management or ambassador role. Instead, he took on the role of consultant working with the Kings during practices, helping out head coach Darryl Sutter. He wanted to help because as he told the LA Times' Bill Plaschke during the Stanley Cup Final, "I was a King once, I wanted to be a King again, it was all fine."

The 51-year old Nicholls never played in a Final during his 18-year NHL career that saw him finish with 475 goals and 1209 points. He played in three Conference Finals, but when the Kings won the Cup in June, it was his first taste of a championship.

On Wednesday, Nicholls used his day with the Cup to take it back to his hometown of West Guilford, Ont., bringing it to a local hockey rink, a marina in nearby Haliburton, his family camp and his house on the lake.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...9959--nhl.html

Old
08-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Hawkman

I'm trying to figure out who wore #4 for the Leafs between 80 and 93. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Although it was worn by Hap Day and Red Kelly, it is an honored number still in circulation like the ones listed below.

Syl Apps Toronto Maple Leafs 10 October 3, 1993 [32]
George Armstrong Toronto Maple Leafs 10 February 28, 1998 [32]
Johnny Bower Toronto Maple Leafs 1 March 11, 1995 [32]
Turk Broda Toronto Maple Leafs 1 March 11, 1995 [32]
King Clancy Toronto Maple Leafs 7 November 21, 1995 [32]
Wendel Clark Toronto Maple Leafs 17 November 22, 2008 [32]
Charlie Conacher Toronto Maple Leafs 9 February 28, 1998 [32]
Hap Day Toronto Maple Leafs 4 October 4, 2006 [32]
Doug Gilmour Toronto Maple Leafs 93 January 31, 2009 [32]
Tim Horton Toronto Maple Leafs 7 November 21, 1995 [32]
Red Kelly Toronto Maple Leafs 4 October 4, 2006 [32]
Ted Kennedy Toronto Maple Leafs 9 October 3, 1993 [32]
Frank Mahovlich Toronto Maple Leafs 27 October 3, 2001 [32]
Al MacInnis Calgary Flames 2 February 27, 2012 [33]
Börje Salming Toronto Maple Leafs 21 October 4, 2006 [32]
Darryl Sittler Toronto Maple Leafs 27 February 8, 2003 [32]
Mats Sundin Toronto Maple Leafs 13 February 11, 2012

Old
08-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out who wore #4 for the Leafs between 80 and 93. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Although it was worn by Hap Day and Red Kelly, it is an honored number still in circulation like the ones listed below.
There are probably fewer guys who didn't wear #4! 10 different players wore the jersey over that time.

1980 – Greg Hotham
1981 – Robert Picard
1982 – Bob McGill
1983 – Bob McGil, Dave Shand, Reid Bailey
1984 – Gary Leeman
1985 – Gary Leeman
1986 – Brad Maxwell
1987 – Rick Lanz
1988 – Rick Lanz
1989 – Rick Lanz
1990 – Darryl Shannon
1991 – Dave Ellett