HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

suspenders

Old
07-31-2012, 11:02 PM
fish7

vCash: 1822
suspenders

I could never get used to the belt, it always felt like my pants were falling down. I had to modify my last ice pants and my inline shells to hook suspenders to them and now i never have to worry about them falling. I tell my team mates that it makes me 7% faster

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
I like suspenders but I have never been able to find a pair that doesnt start slipping on me after a couple of games. Not only do they keep your pants up but they keep your jersey from tucking into the back of your pants.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
WhoozYerrDaddy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I like suspenders but I have never been able to find a pair that doesnt start slipping on me after a couple of games. Not only do they keep your pants up but they keep your jersey from tucking into the back of your pants.
Put your suspenders on like an 'x'.

Right side strap over your head onto your left shoulder, then the left side strap over your head onto your right shoulder.

Your head keeps the suspenders from sliding down. Just dont put them on too tight, otherwise you'll get a chafed neck

WhoozYerrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
the first set of suspenders i picked up had a metal adjustment buckle. the second set, plastic and a heckuvalot wider.

metal buckle cut through the under armor and into my skin. plastic buckle, no complaints.

i have long legs, smaller waist. the length of the pants i need are larges, the waist size I would need to forgo suspenders are mediums, which don't cover a good 4" of thigh above the knee.

I tried looping the suspenders around my head in an X after watching an overweight player do the same, but it felt like i was being strangled, no matter how loose i got them.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoozYerrDaddy View Post
Put your suspenders on like an 'x'.

Right side strap over your head onto your left shoulder, then the left side strap over your head onto your right shoulder.

Your head keeps the suspenders from sliding down. Just dont put them on too tight, otherwise you'll get a chafed neck
I did this a few months ago and I felt like I was being choked out. I had to take them off on the bench and toss them.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
fish7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
the first set of suspenders i picked up had a metal adjustment buckle. the second set, plastic and a heckuvalot wider.

metal buckle cut through the under armor and into my skin. plastic buckle, no complaints.

i have long legs, smaller waist. the length of the pants i need are larges, the waist size I would need to forgo suspenders are mediums, which don't cover a good 4" of thigh above the knee.

I tried looping the suspenders around my head in an X after watching an overweight player do the same, but it felt like i was being strangled, no matter how loose i got them.
In the 80s they made a strap you could attach across the front of your suspenders. There is a pic of Gretzky holding the cup without his jersey on where you can really see it.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:40 AM
theFinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish7 View Post
I could never get used to the belt, it always felt like my pants were falling down. I had to modify my last ice pants and my inline shells to hook suspenders to them and now i never have to worry about them falling. I tell my team mates that it makes me 7% faster
Do you play without shoulder pads? That's the only time I've had mine slip. If you put them on over your shoulder pads they both hold down your shoulders and don't slip off.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
fish7

i just play inline now so i do not wear shoulder pads but when i did wear them i always put my suspenders under

Old
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Rink Bum

When I first started playing as an adult, never got properly fitted with equipment. My pants were too big so they slip a bit and always had to pull them up during games.

One time trying a slow backward skate I ended up landing on my tail bone. Of course the pants were not on properly and the tail bone protector wasn't there to protect me. God the pain.

Finally got better fitting pants and also suspenders to make sure it never happens again. I've fallen twice around the tail bone area but have not been hurt. Suspenders work great for me.

Rink Bum is offline   Reply With Quote