HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto Maple Leafs - 4 Minor Trade Makeover [Chi/Nyi/Phx/Sjs]

Old
08-01-2012, 09:41 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
I don't do any of those trades, well... maybe the Clowe deal.

Lombardi should be worth a lot more than that. He will see the ice as a Leaf this season, and be part of a package near the deadline, or just before the cut-off for Christmas.

He wasn't awful for the Leafs last season, coming back somewhat prematurely from a major concussion and entire missed season/off-season. He'll be significantly better this year, and the Leafs need to get him minutes to increase his value. If that means putting Frattin on the Marlies for half the year, it's a necessity. Otherwise, yes, in fact all you'll maybe get is a Kyle Chipchura...

Mike Komisarek is a necessary piece of the Leafs blueline. He's not only one of the better defenders from last season, but playing for Carlyle will rejuvenate his career. Gone are the days of the speedy North-South action, that was so awful for Schenn and Komisarek.

Now you'll see a slower paced team, and Komisarek is a key piece to that puzzle. Komisarek was one of Burke's first acquisitions, before he figured out that Ron Wilson would totally ef things up by not playing the style of hockey Burke would try and build a team around. And since the contract Komisarek signed was so big and long, he outlasted Wilson, and will see a marked improvement and usefulness under Carlyle.

Komisarek will likely be re-signed, not dumped for a useless pick. However, it's a guarantee that he'll be re-signed -la Bozak, (who went from a massively underwhelming performance at $3.5M to an awesome over-performing $1.2M deal). So expect Komisarek back at a $1.8M or $2.25M (tops) contract, even though he'll be playing significantly better.

MacArthur+3rd for Clowe. Okay, that's an acceptable trade. I would do this for Toronto.

Bozak + Holzer for Hjalmarsson I would not do, but that's not actually that bad a trade. I just don't think that Chicago would go anywhere near it, so the value's just too one-sided for the Leafs, and Hjalmarsson isn't even that coveted of a piece for us.

When Chicago traded for Johnny Oduya last year, it was because they were in dire need, and I mean dire (because Oduya started playing 24m+ per night) for defenders. To trade one of their key pieces just for a decent 2C option and a question mark on the blueline, doesn't make any sense.

As for Hjalmarsson, I think he'd be a welcome addition to the blueline in Toronto, but like I said, not a key addition nor is there value for Chicago. Unless Chicago starts seeking trade advice from Mike Milbury, this is a non-starter.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:06 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I'd switch Franson for Holzer in the Hammer trade simply because Liles-Franson gives us a pairing with two offensive d-men. Might make it more enticing for the Hawks too, since Franson's proven much more.

Kind of want to do the Frattin for Bernier trade too. Giving us:

Lupul-Van-Riemsdyk-Kessel
Kadri-Grabovski-Clowe
D'Amigo-McClement-Kulemin
Chipchura-Steckel-Brown
(Orr)

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Hjalmarsson
Gardiner-Holzer
(Blacker)

Bernier
Reimer
I'm so tired of seeing Bernier to the Leafs...

Aside from draft position, what does Bernier offer to the Leafs that Scrivens doesn't? And why does he get the start over Reimer? I think you'd have to go with the guy that's a proven goaltender, over some kid who has barely even been a backup...

There's barely any experience under Bernier's belt. He's even less proven than Reimer, and the only reason a goalie discussion is happening in Toronto is to get a veteran that can cover Reimer's butt if he gets a shaky streak going. Like Giguere.

If the Leafs decide to trade for Bernier, they absolutely HAVE to get rid of Reimer in the process. And right now, I'd rather have Reimer over Bernier. They have the same ceiling, but Reimer is a bigger, and bigger IS better when it comes to goalies.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Machinae

I like how Connolly just disappears from the roster.

MacArthur+ for Clowe would be interesting, but how will Clowe fit in with the Leafs' team speed? This guy isn't going to keep up with Grabo, Connolly, Kulemin, etc.

Komisarek or Holzer could be moved, but I doubt both would. Franson would make more sense. Bozak + Franson for Bickell + Hjalmarsson?

Lombardi for anything isn't bad at this point. Can replace him with someone like Brule out of free agency anyways. Even if he does make a comeback he's buried on the Leafs.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I'm so tired of seeing Bernier to the Leafs...

Aside from draft position, what does Bernier offer to the Leafs that Scrivens doesn't? And why does he get the start over Reimer? I think you'd have to go with the guy that's a proven goaltender, over some kid who has barely even been a backup...

There's barely any experience under Bernier's belt. He's even less proven than Reimer, and the only reason a goalie discussion is happening in Toronto is to get a veteran that can cover Reimer's butt if he gets a shaky streak going. Like Giguere.

If the Leafs decide to trade for Bernier, they absolutely HAVE to get rid of Reimer in the process. And right now, I'd rather have Reimer over Bernier. They have the same ceiling, but Reimer is a bigger, and bigger IS better when it comes to goalies.
Agreed man well said.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...angeles_kings/

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
namttebih

My biggest problem with the above proposal (and I can't believe that I'm actually going to say this) is that if and when JVR doesn't work out at #1C, Bozak is the only C in the organization that has proven chemistry with Kessel and Lupes. If Burkie can magically find one...giddy up.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote