HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Martin to EDM for????

Old
08-01-2012, 08:12 AM
mwalluk

vCash: 500
Martin to EDM for????

Quote:
Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers could use 1 more defenseman. Thier current depth chart right now looks like Jeff Petry, Ladislav Smid, Nick Schultz, Ryan Whitney, Justin Schultz, Andy Sutton, Corey Potter and Theo Peckham. A Shea Weber type would have been perfect. Whitney’s health, and Justin Schultz inexperience are questionmarks. Finding a veteran who could play 2nd pair minutes would be good insurance. Willis writes another article noting that Oiles prospects Colten Teubert and Oscar Klefbom are getting close to being NHL ready. Klefbom will remain in Sweden this year, and could make the jump next season. Taylor Fedum, Martin Marincin and Alex Plante are also coming up the pipeline.

Paul Martin would fit that criteria. That being said, I'm not sure what your Cap situation looks like or even what you could have to offer in return....

mwalluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
oil10

How about this;

EDM: Martin

PIT: Hemskey, Potter, 2rdp

EDM gets the D help they need and PIT gets a top 6 player and a solid bottom D-man. ( could also throw in another prospect from EDM, if needed )

oil10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:57 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt View Post
How about this;

EDM gets the D help they need and PIT gets a top 6 player and a solid bottom D-man. ( could also throw in another prospect from EDM, if needed )
We dont want someone as injury prone as Hemsky. We dont need Potter. I would rather keep Martin and let him rebound.

Last edited by SIDGENO8771: 08-01-2012 at 10:10 AM.
SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:58 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
How about this;

Wow... Martin is overpaid and awful... Hemsky does what he's supposed to, he scores points. Sure he's injured alot but come on... Hemsky + 2nd rounder (probably gonna he a high one) + Potter for Martin? gtfo. You traded a real good Michalek like he was a capdump and then you wanna trade a real capdump for an overpayment.

AWFUL.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
For a conditional 7th

08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
dannyj10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
We dont want someone as injury prone as Martin. We dont need Potter. I would rather keep Martin and let him rebound.
Did you mean as injury prone as Hemskey?

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:05 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
How about this;

Martin did nothing to prove he has that much value. Honestly, if we had to give any more than a 4th rounder to get Martin, I'd rather sign Michal Roszival. Neither guy will be in the long term plans anyway.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:07 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
Wow... Martin is overpaid and awful... Hemsky does what he's supposed to, he scores points. Sure he's injured alot but come on... Hemsky + 2nd rounder (probably gonna he a high one) + Potter for Martin? gtfo. You traded a real good Michalek like he was a capdump and then you wanna trade a real capdump for an overpayment.

AWFUL.
I agree with everything you say here except the fact that Hemsky does what he is supposed to, he scores points

The injuries have caught up to this guy and the point totals are dropping significantly compared to what he use to be. Only 36 points in 69 games last year and that was his healthiest season in awhile and it wasn't even that healthy of a season! With only playing 56% of regular season games over the last 3 years - I just can't buy him ever returning to his previous form

On that note though - that trade is terrible from the Oilers perspective! The Penguins should be adding not the Oilers as the Oilers take on the extra year of a $5M cap hit if the trade is structured around Hemsky for Martin

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
No, they just really hate Martin

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:10 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'd take Martin, but wouldn't offer much in return for him. Potter & 2013 2nd is about as much as I'd do at this point.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:33 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Martin is not what the Oilers are looking for, they need more of a physical RHS D, and Martin doesn't fill that job description. Their also looking for a D with only 1 or 2yr contract. Martin's 3yr remaining, with a 5M cap hit it is to rich and could handicap the Oilers when it comes to signing some players in the future.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
RehnX

Quote:

AWFUL.
Firstly, Michalek was OK witth the Pens, he didn't fit the system. . .same with Martin. If you think Martin is "awful", you either don't watch him, or you don't know a thing about hockey, Michalek's trade gave the Pens cap-space(to enter the Parise/Suter sweeps) AND a player Shero really likes.

Secondly, when one team is trading FROM a question-mark position, and the other from a surplus, guess who is overpaying?

GM's, thankfully, aren't so narrowminded.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
LOL, yes.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
Firstly, Michalek was OK witth the Pens, he didn't fit the system. . .same with Martin. If you think Martin is "awful", you either don't watch him, or you don't know a thing about hockey, Michalek's trade gave the Pens cap-space(to enter the Parise/Suter sweeps) AND a player Shero really likes.

Secondly, when one team is trading FROM a question-mark position, and the other from a surplus, guess who is overpaying?

It's not about Martin being awful, it is he's soft. That's the last thing the Oilers need is another Gilbert and Gilbert was tougher then Martin.

I don't get were your coming from about the surplus part, because the same could be said about both teams. One fact is that the Pens D needs to get bigger, because what I saw in the playoffs their D was push around.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:

Martin is just plain old bad... he's been overrated his whole career IMO. He played very good in a great defense first team. Wow, congrats. That doesn't warrant 5+ million. As you can see he's clearly overpaid since everybody wants to dump him etc. The only one who likes him at 5 mill is Shero.

Have fun with that.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
victor

Quote:

No one is overpaying.

Edmonton doesn't do this deal, as Martin has three years left on his contract, and Edmonton is focused on contracts that do not interfere with having to pay the big-3 (or now is it big-5?)

Would be nice to have a veteran presence, in the event that Whitney's ankle is still a problem. That said, they have a great number of defensive prospects that will be pushing for jobs over the next couple of seasons, and Edmonton's not likely to make the playoffs next year. I'd say that it's likely that they go into camp with the current group, and if Schultz can play at the level of Smid and Petry, looking for a defender might be a moot point.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Shady Machine

I'll gladly keep Martin on the Pens unless it's for a big upgrade. He most definitely has value around the league. I guarantee he has a bounce back year and is a solid top 4 dman for the Pens.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
RehnX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
It's not about Martin being awful, it is he's soft. That's the last thing the Oilers need is another Gilbert and Gilbert was tougher then Martin.

I don't get were your coming from about the surplus part, because the same could be said about both teams. One fact is that the Pens D needs to get bigger, because what I saw in the playoffs their D was push around.
Pens have quite a few defensive prospects who may or may not be good down the line, and regardless of what any Pens fans say, their is no one to replace Martin right NOW.

Oilers have quite a few "can't miss" top-6ers currently ON their team, and a few with an outside shot.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Martin had a bad year, with Michalek gone the Pens will give Martin another shot, he will not be "dumped" like some might think

Le Magnifique 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Dylonus

I'm not sure why Pittsburgh fans continue to defend Martin...

I'd take the Hemsky for Martin swap in a heartbeat.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

What's the Martin threads renaissance today? Did something happen?

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Martin is just plain old bad... he's been overrated his whole career IMO. He played very good in a great defense first team. Wow, congrats. That doesn't warrant 5+ million. As you can see he's clearly overpaid since everybody wants to dump him etc. The only one who likes him at 5 mill is Shero.

Have fun with that.
Have you been paying attention to the FA contracts going out to defensemen? 3 yrs 15mil is not the end of the world for paul martin, you make it seem like hes a ECHL type defenseman, hes been average to above average every year except 1

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Pens have quite a few defensive prospects who may or may not be good down the line, and regardless of what any Pens fans say, their is no one to replace Martin right NOW.

Oilers have quite a few "can't miss" top-6ers currently ON their team, and a few with an outside shot.
Personally, I would almost rather have a hole on the D than Martin. It's one thing to be bad (which, Martin isn't really). It's another thing to give up in a puck race on the board to avoid a check when playing your freaking rivals in the freaking playoffs. It's sad when my wife is yelling at the TV harder than your 5 million dollar player is playing. I feel like too many people on these boards forget his crappiness in the playoffs and focus on his mediocre season. I'll take one clutch Talbot/Staal/Briere type over any number of soff Martin types any day. I personally would take the conditional 7th for him and run with it.

In all honesty, Pens will be looking for a decent return for him (more than he's worth probably). I would just want him gone in a Michalek-like trade. He's a cancer to our team.

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Have you been paying attention to the FA contracts going out to defensemen? 3 yrs 15mil is not the end of the world for paul martin, you make it seem like hes a ECHL type defenseman, hes been average to above average every year except 1
That's the problem. He's supposed to be better than average, way better than average on that salary...

Old
08-01-2012, 11:55 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
It's much better for Edmonton to ride out Hemsky's contract and see if he can return to form. Trading him for pennies on the dollar is pointless for Edmonton.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote