HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phi - mtl

Old
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
In what dimension? We've got plenty of those already.

This trade addresses nothing for Montreal, pass.
I'd make the trade. He's exactly the kind of player we could use and I'm a fan of the type of game he brings to the table and his smarts.

Instead of all that nonsense and conditions, I'd do Laughton + a 2nd.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I'd make the trade. He's exactly the kind of player we could use and I'm a fan of the type of game he brings to the table and his smarts.

Instead of all that nonsense and conditions, I'd do Laughton + a 2nd.
And tank afterwards with the worst D core in the league?

No thanks. We already have similar players in the system and possibly on the roster. This trade just makes no sense whatsoever, unless you're doing prospect for prospect.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Better, absolutely not.
I agree, Markov is still a great defensman When healthy. And I'm not too big on Laughton. Mtls 2nd will be like the 35-40th pick. Solid deal IMO, and if Markhov stays healthy, absolute steal for Philly. Worth th gamble if your goal is the cup

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
I agree, Markov is still a great defensman When healthy
There inlies the problem

Pronger, when healthy, is a monster as well. Ehhhhh, no go from Philly.

Last edited by BrindamoursNose: 08-01-2012 at 11:55 AM.
BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

no thanks. Habs can keep IR Markov, we'll keep Laughton and our draft pick

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
There inlies the problem

Pronger, when healthy, is a monster as well. Ehhhhh, no go from Philly.
The difference residing in the fact Pronger's career is by most accounts over while Markov will be on opening day's roster.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
The difference residing in the fact Pronger's career is by most accounts over while Markov will be on opening day's roster.
And then on LTIR 2 days later

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
no thanks. Habs can keep IR Markov, we'll keep Laughton and our draft pick
Not to nitpick as I don't blame the Flyers at all but isn't this contradictory? If markov is injured, what draft pick?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
And then on LTIR 2 days later
Thats quite a crystal ball you have there.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
And tank afterwards with the worst D core in the league?

No thanks. We already have similar players in the system and possibly on the roster. This trade just makes no sense whatsoever, unless you're doing prospect for prospect.
I disagree. Laughton is a Bergevin-type of player and there will be more than a few players on the roster that will be on the way out the door, so there will be plenty of roster spots for someone like Laughton.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Thats quite a crystal ball you have there.
I'm not sold on him being healthy after playing only 65 games in 3 years

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'm not sold on him being healthy after playing only 65 games in 3 years
You have every right to be worried about his health. So are Hab fans. Problem is for the return he would get, you cant really trade him. He's only 33 and has elite vision.

If he can stay healthy, 50 pts is pratically an assurance for him. I wouldnt even trade him for Philly's 1st next year (22-30 pick). Habs keep Markov for sure.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Markov is the most injury prone player I can think of. I want no part of a guy I know will be injured for a good chunk of the year, no matter how much he could help us when healthy.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Markov is the most injury prone player I can think of. I want no part of a guy I know will be injured for a good chunk of the year, no matter how much he could help us when healthy.
I can think of someone. Hint: Goalie on an island.

636 games in 10 seasons, is far from being anything like your claiming.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Why would the Flyers trade their 2012 1st rounder for a guy who will probably be injured?
Cause you're getting the Habs 2nd which will be more or less the same as your 1st

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
I can think of someone. Hint: Goalie on an island.

Say what you want, but Philly would be crazy to trade for Markov.

We need a long-term solution at defense. An injured Markov isn't the answer. It's just not. I know he's a great defenseman, but he gets hurt too often. It's just too much of a deterrent to invest much in him.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Broad Street Elite

This is the kind of deal that can be made at the deadline imo. Yes, if Markov is healthy, then Philly is interested and would likely play ball on some appropriate trade offer.

Right now, this is such a big gamble that really doesn't need to be made. The Flyers are a playoff team without Markov whose opportunity to advance would absolutely be bolstered by a truly healthy Markov.

That said, taking a gamble now has the potential to hurt us both this season (by diminishing our assets to fill the gap) and into the future (by costing us a year of development on a player the team likes a lot versus the uncertainty of what might be available in a year in the second round).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
How about 65 games played in the last 3 years which is approximately 100x more relevant that his stretch of good health 6-10 years ago?

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This is the kind of deal that can be made at the deadline imo. Yes, if Markov is healthy, then Philly is interested and would likely play ball on some appropriate trade offer.

Right now, this is such a big gamble that really doesn't need to be made. The Flyers are a playoff team without Markov whose opportunity to advance would absolutely be bolstered by a truly healthy Markov.

That said, taking a gamble now has the potential to hurt us both this season (by diminishing our assets to fill the gap) and into the future (by costing us a year of development on a player the team likes a lot versus the uncertainty of what might be available in a year in the second round).
The gamble is the only reason Philly would have a chance at Markov. If he is healthy at the deadline, the OP's offer would never get done from a Montreal POV.

Again, Markov is essentially untradeable because his value to Montreal is much higher than other teams because they've already invested in the risk.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Markov has isn't injury prone, he just has a bad knee.

The games Markov was missed the past couple of years were:

1: a complete accident where Price skate cut his achilles tendon tendon

2:Tore his acl twice on the same knee.

Injury prone players are ones that are often injuried for different reason, 10 games for this, 10 games for that, etc

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
The gamble is the only reason Philly would have a chance at Markov. If he is healthy at the deadline, the OP's offer would never get done from a Montreal POV.

Again, Markov is essentially untradeable because his value to Montreal is much higher than other teams because they've already invested in the risk.
If Markov is healthy at the deadline, then yes, the OP's offer probably doesn't stand (depending on a ton of factors, ie where MTL is in the standings, whether Markov has missed time, the quality of his play while healthy, Laughton's progression, etc).

I understand the nature of gambling enough to recognize that the OP's offer just isn't good enough odds to do today.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

Maybe if he's healthy we'll be looking to trade Kaberle instead.

Looking at your roster and prospects I don't see a deal that would make sense for both teams at the trade deadline because you wouldn't be willing to give up fair value for him.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Markov has isn't injury prone, he just has a bad knee.

The games Markov was missed the past couple of years were:

1: a complete accident where Price skate cut his achilles tendon tendon

2:Tore his acl twice on the same knee.

Injury prone players are ones that are often injuried for different reason, 10 games for this, 10 games for that, etc
So you don't think a knee ligament that keeps tearing is a huge concern moving forward? If the argument is about his toughness or his willingness to play through pain then I understand what you're saying, but this about your faith in a guy being able to suit up and play hockey.

But I get the overall concept on gambling on that health - I'm just not willing to take on that risk.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Maybe if he's healthy we'll be looking to trade Kaberle instead.

Looking at your roster and prospects I don't see a deal that would make sense for both teams at the trade deadline because you wouldn't be willing to give up fair value for him.
How in the world can you possibly know how the young players on our roster or even the pool of unheralded prospects moving to the AHL are going to improve, fail, stagnate, get hurt, etc?

There's so much that could happen to a young team like the Flyers or with Markov's health/play that make it impossible to know where both parties would be at the deadline.

I would love to be able to acquire a healthy Markov at the deadline even if it cost us something more or different, but there's simply too much uncertainty for one of the two teams in the OP to not to get screwed.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:35 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
So you don't think a knee ligament that keeps tearing is a huge concern moving forward? If the argument is about his toughness or his willingness to play through pain then I understand what you're saying, but this about your faith in a guy being able to suit up and play hockey.

But I get the overall concept on gambling on that health - I'm just not willing to take on that risk.
I was just reply to a poster calling him injury prone, and I was trying to point out that Markov isn't injury prone, he just has a bad knee. Which is still a problem, but the worry isn't so much him gettin hurt again in general, but his knee not holding up.

But ya, I don't think any team would take the gamble on Markov, if they did, they wouldn't offer should (rightful so), but if Markov shows he is back, like Frozenice said, Habs won't trade him.

And it would probably mean Kaberle, who is a good backup plan for the PP if Markov is injuried again would be traded at the trade deadline.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote