HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres re-sign Patrick Kaleta (3 years, $1.25M per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

vCash: 500
Rats are taking over the league - Burke

I'm being sarcastic, ofcourse. Kaleta can play.

08-01-2012, 12:16 AM
GerbeSonOfGloin

The dice roll is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
Marchand is close probably top 5 but at least he stands up for himself and responds when someone challenges him.
Patrick Kaleta career fights: 33.
Brad Marchand career fights: 6. Including one against Tim Connolly.

Thirty-three.

Six.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:07 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
If we're talking about punching bags, I think those will only ever be whatever Bruin (Chara is excluded) is on the other end of a fight against John Scott, the undefeated and best heavyweight in the entire League. Like we've said before, Boston's clearly in for a rude awakening if they think Buffalo is going to be the same this year. Also, Boston may have had the physical edge over us in the past few years, but regardless, they haven't had the clear-cut edge on the score sheet. We've handled them fairly well and usually split most seasons. The playoffs were a different story but as far as regular season goes, we've been able to compete very closely with them and certainly have won our fair share against them. If they think Buffalo and Ottawa are going to be easy to get past this year, they're sorely mistaken.

I love having Kaleta around for more. Him and Ott running around getting into opponents' heads this year will be fun to watch. Kaleta has had a couple questionable hits (the one on Jared Ross a few years ago was bad) but most of his hits are clean, hard ones. The headbutt was also stupid but a majority of the time Kaleta is very effective at what he does, clearly shown by the posts in every Kaleta thread. He'll have a big PK role now that we don't have Gaustad or Roy anymore. I just hope he can stay healthy enough. He plays a very rough style and that has torn his body up already and he's not even old.
Don't forget Hecht isn't around either (even though he didn't play that much last year). That's 3 regular PKers out with only 1 (Ott) in. Maybe 2 if Girgensons surprises.

Kaleta is going to be relied on heavily...but he's exactly the kind of guy who can excel on the PK because he's a good skater and willing to block shots. If he can stay healthy and give a good 70-75 games, he is definitely going to be an asset defensively.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerbeSonOfGloin View Post
The dice roll is back!

Patrick Kaleta career fights: 33.
Brad Marchand career fights: 6. Including one against Tim Connolly.

Thirty-three.

Six.
Hey now! Lets not screw up someone's well thought-out point with something as trivial as facts..

Old
08-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Sabres should sign Rutuu.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:12 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I'd hardly call Kaleta dirty. The headbutting is pretty subjective... The Kariya hit was beautiful, clean shoulder to shoulder, not Kaletas fault Kariya crossed over with his head down onto Stevens side.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Im glad he isn't in the SE at least, a true goon that attempts to injure his opponents all the time

08-01-2012, 07:35 AM
HiddenInLight

Yeah....I think bruins fans have no reason to complain until he runs a goaltender giving him a concussion....just saying...much worse then ANYTHING Kaleta has done.

It was definatly a good signing...worth about 1.25 per year (depending who you ask, seeing as I have seen about 6 different numbers reported) which is about what most people thought he would get. I for one hope he stays healthy. I like Kaleta. He is a local kid, does a ton for cherity and the community, and stays out of trouble (with LEGOs ) He is getting very good defensively, especially paired with Gerbe, and he has made a few jaw dropping, I can't believe he isn't a top sixer goals. (Though we know he isn't a top 6er). He is quite effective at what he does. I just wish the refs wouldn't make such BS calls every time he throws a hit.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Yeah....I think bruins fans have no reason to complain until he runs a goaltender giving him a concussion....just saying...much worse then ANYTHING Kaleta has done.

It was definatly a good signing...worth about 1.25 per year (depending who you ask, seeing as I have seen about 6 different numbers reported) which is about what most people thought he would get. I for one hope he stays healthy. I like Kaleta. He is a local kid, does a ton for cherity and the community, and stays out of trouble (with LEGOs ) He is getting very good defensively, especially paired with Gerbe, and he has made a few jaw dropping, I can't believe he isn't a top sixer goals. (Though we know he isn't a top 6er). He is quite effective at what he does. I just wish the refs wouldn't make such BS calls every time he throws a hit.
It's definitely $1.25M each of the 3 years.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:54 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
Marchand is close probably top 5 but at least he stands up for himself and responds when someone challenges him.
Sure he does, by low bridging guys and taking them out at the knees. You want to talk cowardly play, Marchand is #1.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Im glad he isn't in the SE at least, a true goon that attempts to injure his opponents all the time
I agree with your analysis of marchand but i didnt think he was a threat to jump to the s.e.??

Old
08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Good signing if he can stay healthy. Better player than given credit for around here. Has toned down his game, but his rep will stay with him for a long time. A good PKer.

Buffalo a bit tougher to play against after this off season, and I suspect that teams will not elect to take liberties like Lucic did last year without some solid push back. Regardless, Bruins still not shaking in their boots.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
I see there's still some people who haven't looked at the NHL Player Usage Charts. Kaleta plays good competition--only Pominville had a higher QoC than him among Sabre RWs--and starts close to 60% of his shifts in the defensive zone. He's not exactly playing sheltered minutes. He's also an excellent PKer. He's carved himself a nice niche as an agitator who's become a relied-upon defensive forward.

The guy can play.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Homegrown Kings
that other 70s line

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Good signing if he can stay healthy. Better player than given credit for around here. Has toned down his game, but his rep will stay with him for a long time. A good PKer.

Buffalo a bit tougher to play against after this off season, and I suspect that teams will not elect to take liberties like Lucic did last year without some solid push back. Regardless, Bruins still not shaking in their boots.
Good player to retain for Buffalo. He deserves his reputation, but he's a pretty good player considering the role he fills. Personally can't stand the guy but I can admit he can be a valuable player.

Agree with you that Buffalo will be tougher to play against, but the way I see it, they'll just be more irritating and able to grind their opponents down. Not necessarily tougher in the sense they'll beat their opponents into submission.

For Buffalo's sake, I hope John Scott doesn't play much.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Fred Brathwaite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I'd hardly call Kaleta dirty. The headbutting is pretty subjective... The Kariya hit was beautiful, clean shoulder to shoulder, not Kaletas fault Kariya crossed over with his head down onto Stevens side.
Beautiful? It was a blind side hit. Im not 100% sure he hit him directly in the head but it sure did look like that is what he was going for (see below). I dont see how you can blame that hit on Kariya. Plus it was the one that apparantly finished off his career.

Anyway solid signing for the Sabres. Kaleta is good at what he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=k8FZGJq-Dp4

Last edited by Fred Brathwaite: 08-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Happy with this cap hit, does a lot of the little things you need a player like him to do. Him and Ott will be quite the annoying duo next season, that's for sure.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
This is My Swamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Happy with this cap hit, does a lot of the little things you need a player like him to do. Him and Ott will be quite the annoying duo next season, that's for sure.
I was just thinking the same thing. The rage is going to be strong when they're on the ice.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brathwaite View Post
Beautiful? It was a blind side hit. Im not 100% sure he hit him directly in the head but it sure did look like that is what he was going for (see below). I dont see how you can blame that hit on Kariya. Plus it was the one that apparantly finished off his career.

Anyway solid signing for the Sabres. Kaleta is good at what he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=k8FZGJq-Dp4

I could be wrong, but wasn't that hit from January 2010 or so?

Old
08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
MyersMagic57*

Bruins-Sabres games will be epic this year. With the new agitators that the Sabres signed, you can expect there will be a lot more scrums this season. And now with John Scott running around we have someone to beat down the Bruins

Old
08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Tuckerw68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Bruins-Sabres games will be epic this year. With the new agitators that the Sabres signed, you can expect there will be a lot more scrums this season. And now with John Scott running around we have someone to beat down the Bruins
John Scott is a goon who can't play for the sake of hockey I hope he doesn't see much ice

Old
08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I could be wrong, but wasn't that hit from January 2010 or so?
Yeah. Kariya missed a couple games but finished the year, then got PCS sometime in the summer and has since retired.

That hit probably had something to do with the onset of the PCS, but there's also pretty much no way that was the only factor, especially talking about someone with such a detailed concussion history as Paul.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:28 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
At least kaleta doesn't run over goalies
Thank you. That was the dirtiest play in hockey last year. Well Chara on Max Pacioretty was pretty close. This year will be fun watching J. Scott beat up the bruins whole team though. Not one player on that team can win against J. Scott. Bring it bruins. This is going to be a fun year.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Not happy about it, but good numbers for the Sabres.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Sabres should sign Rutuu.
Who's Rutuu?

Old
08-01-2012, 02:03 PM
DixonWard15